AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Technical Tinkering
  L# Combining two 10 Gallon Aquariums.
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCombining two 10 Gallon Aquariums.
Cowch
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 29
Votes: 0
male usa
My parents had four old aquariums in their basement. I am considering taking two of them and making a long twenty gallon tank. I figure I will take 1 small side off of each and silicone them together. I will need to make new ribbons for the top and bottom. Does anyone have any advice or a reason why this idea is impossible?
Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2006 06:29Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
rocker23
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 70
Votes: 0
male canada
it's possible.
if not done right u could have big problems and a very ugly looking tank, though i've seen a 15 gallon glued together before and it looked nice
Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2006 07:12Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
I'm not so sure it would work. The center would very easily bow. silicone is strong, but I think you might be overestimating it. Either that, or you have a hefty center brace in mind.

It's probably easier and cheaper to buy a 20G tank.

Also, why not just have 2 10G tanks? I can think of plenty of nice fish to keep in 2 10G tanks.

You could also drill the two tanks with a 2 inch diamond bit and bring them together with a bit of PVC and 2 bulkheads, though I think it would still be easier and cheaper to buy a 20G tank, because it's pretty easy to mess up drilling a tank.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2006 01:58Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
My parents had four old aquariums in their basement. I am considering taking two of them and making a long twenty gallon tank. I figure I will take 1 small side off of each and silicone them together

It is the old argument old tanks and silicon. How old are the tanks to start of with if not been used for some time all the silicon will be dry and useless? Glueing old Aqiariums just does not work in the long term.

Best to buy a good new tank with a gurantee. Can you gurantee the old tanks will not leak?

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2006 03:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
http://photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/?action=view&current=idea.jpg

Just a thought....

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2006 05:19Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Now that is a totaly diferent concept. What you are doing is pumping one tank to another then recycling in back to the first tank. This can be done easly providing you have a pump powefull enough to circulate the water.

Here is one thing to consider if a problem develops in one tank it is transfered to the other tank.

At least you are thinking that is the most important thing.

Test those tanks first long before you start out doing any work on that system.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2006 06:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
EditedEdited by Wingsdlc
That was just a random idea from a sleepy Doug the other night. Under stand that problems would transfer but you are also upping your total water. Thus making it a little easier to keep things stable. It would be a bit of work but it might be fun. I am just the ideas guy. Don't ask me how to do it....BTW....

keith,

I used your photobucket to give someone ideas for a lowlight plated tank. Just so you know.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2006 07:06Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
I don't think the seam in the middle where the 2 tanks are joined will hold 20gallons of water pressure. Granted the tanks are short so there is much more length than height but I still don't think you could do it with out some severe bracing. Probably not worth the work and risk of having 20gallons flood the house one day. 20g tanks are not expensive.

If you just wanted to share water between the 2 you could set it up like that. Although the easiest would be to put one tank above the other and utilize an overflow with the powerhead as a return. Basically what is done all the time in saltwater to make a sump for filtration and to increase the gallonage of the tank. Setting 2 tanks up side by side would be considerably more difficult since you cannot time 2 pumps to run equally forever and eventually 1 tank will get too full. Once again by the time you buy the equipment and put in the work you might as well get a 20g long to set there. It's only practical if you want a small display tank due to space or lighting constraints but want to keep the extra water volume for water quality.
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2006 12:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bcwcat22
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 314
Votes: 34
male usa
The concept you have there can be simplified. Many people have done "water bridges" before the basic idea is simple connect the 2 tanks with a pvc pipe. The water is held in place by water pressure and you can put the input to the canister filter in one tank and the output in another creating a flow so the water doesnt go stagnit. Google it there are many instructions online on how to do it.

"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man" Simpsons
Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2006 01:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies