Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCracked Tank
CameronK
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 2
male southafrica
Last night I come home to find the front of my tank has cracked and a flood in my living room. Would any of you know why this would just happen out of the blue. The tank is in a safe place far away from any human traffic and I have no other pets. Lucky I could save all my fish as I got home just in the nick of time. This is a 300l tank or 4 footer.

1,2m length
600mm high
450mm wide
6mm thick glass
8mm glass struts at the top

Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2007 11:22Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Was the crack near the heater? Sometimes glass that is not particularly thick or expensively made can sometimes expand or retract radically in response to temperature, and that will cause cracking. Heaters ideally should be placed in filter flow, so that the heat is dispersed away from them, and distributed evenly. Sometimes the constant vibration and weight of a hob filter can crack them, and occassionally even wires and cords incorrectly placed between the hood and the glass can cause problems. Sometimes it merely takes a beam of intense sunlight to break glass under such pressure.

Other than that, its all the usual stuff like not having the tank level, when tanks go much over 30 gallon the weight is such that they should really be dead level, and checked using a spirit level. Not supporting the underneath of it with level foam across the entirety of the base plate may also cause cracking.

Sometimes its just damn bad luck, and you get a dodgy pane of glass.

Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2007 12:50Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
With a tank that size the glass could have been thicker.

How old is the tank as aged tanks do funny things.
Is the rank sitting on at least 20mm styrene foam to take up any unevenness in the base it is sitting on. Even a slight house movement can causer this problem. If the tank was made without enough bracing stress can also happen. Another thing is cheap faulty/second hand glass this is a common cause.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 03-Oct-2007 05:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies