L# DIY 2 30G TANKS TO 1 60G TANK
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeDIY 2 30G TANKS TO 1 60G TANK
CHOMPPPPP

Small Fry
Kudos: 6
Votes: 0
male usa us-iowa
FIRST TIME POSTER I'M NEW TO THIS FISH BUSINESS. I HAVE A FEW QUESTION I WOULD LIKE SOME EXPERTISE ON. I HAVE ONE THIRTY GALLON TANK WITH TWO ANGELFISH AND ABOUT 10 PLANTS I ADDED A WEEK AGO. ROCK GRAVEL. A TETRA 30-60 AIR PUMP. A HEATER. AN AQUATECH 30-60 FILTER AND A TETRA 20-40 ADVANCED FILTER. ONE FOUR FOOT T5...54W....5000 LUMENS. I REALIZE THIS IS PROBABLY NOT ENOUGH LIGHT. 2500 LUMEN SINCE MY TANK IS ONLY 24". I HAVE ANOTHER T5 ON THE WAY WHICH WILL PUT ME AT 5000 LUMEN. MY TANK HAS BEEN SET UP FOR ABOUT 30 DAYS NOW. MY ANACHARIS SEEM TO BE TURNING TRANSPARENT SO JUST A FEW DAYS AGO I STARTED ADDING SEACHEM FLORISH HOPING THEY WOULD RECOVER. COULD IT JUST BE NOT ENOUGH LIGHTING? NOT ENOUGH FERTILIZER? NOW PICTURE THIS...MY GOAL IS TO CUT THE SILICON ON THE SIDES/WIDTH OF BOTH MY 30G AQUARIUMS AND SLIDE THE TWO TANKS TOGETHER TO MAKE ONE GIANT 60G IF POSSIBLE....I HAVE A SEPARATE 1G TANK FOR THE ANGELFISH TO SURVIVE 48 HRS...DONT WORRY. SO MY NEXT QUESTION IS WHEN I DO THE THE SIDES PULLED OFF....WOULD THAT BE TOO MUCH PRESSURE FOR JUST SIMPLE SILICONE TO HOLD TOGETHER? WOULD I NEED MORE SUPPORT FOR THE JOINTS? WHAT KIND OF SUPPORT? I AM OPEN TO ALL IDEAS INCLUDING "NOT DOING IT" THE PICTURE IS SELF EXPLANATORY BUT ITS BASICALLY MY TWO TANKS AND AS YOU CAN SEE I'M NOT CURRENTLY USING THE ONE.

Attached Image:

TYVM

CH-CH-CHOMPPPPPPPP
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2011 00:49Profile PM Edit Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
I can't imagine the silicone would hold together. The glass on those tanks is also probably not thick enough. If you look at a 60-gallon aquarium, you'll see that the glass is quite a bit thicker than either of yours. Water is very heavy and every amount of structural support is needed to hold an aquarium together.

As an alternative suggestion, I've seen some projects where a water "bridge" is created between two aquaria (think hampster habitrail). You may need additional filtration and heating (or if you use a canister filter you might try having the input on one tank and the output on the other to keep the water flowing).

><>
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2011 10:27Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
We all understand the desire for a bigger tank, the desire
to do it inexpensively, and the desire to try something
different. Superlion, is correct. It probably won't work,
especially in the long run.

Your comment about rock gravel gives me some concern.
If you mean "rocks" instead of #2 or #3 gravel then that
is a good part of why the plants are not thriving.

When you move plants, transplant them within the tank
or put new ones in a tank, they go through a period of
acclimation during which they grow new roots, adapt to the
new lighting, and the available nutrients within the new
tank or new section of substrate. During that time
they draw on the stored nutrients that they have in
reserve. They will loose the older leaves and start
growing new ones.

If you are planting them in rocks or pebbles, there
is no nutrients available and the large gaps between
the rocks will trap fish waste, excess food, and
any dust/dirt that gets into the tank, and will
eventually become a source of pollution for the tank.

To help the plants through the acclimation period you would
add some liquid nutrient to the tank. Don't over do it or
your next problem could be algae.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2011 14:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
CHOMPPPPP

Small Fry
Kudos: 6
Votes: 0
male usa us-iowa
THANKS YOU GUYS!! THE MORE I THOUGHT ABOUT IT MYSELF THE BETTER OF AN IDEA IT BECAME ALTHOUGH SUPERLION DID HAVE A GOOD IDEA OF A BRIDGE LIKE A 6" PLASTIC U? OR PERHAPS THIS EXTRA TANK CAN BE MY FIRST SALTWATER AQUARIUM...MY SUBSTRATE IS IN THE PIC I INCLUDED IN THIS POST(THE JAVA FERNS WERE ALREADY A LIL BROWN WHEN I BOUGHT THEM). NOT SURE EXACTLY WHAT IT IS. I GOT THESE TWO TANKS AND ANOTHER WITH THE ROCKS AND DECORATIONS FOR FREE OF OFF CRAIGSLIST I DID WASH EVERYTHING IN SOAPY WATER HALF A DOZEN TIMES AND RINSED ABOUT HALF A DOZEN AFTER MY FIRST BLACK MOOR DIED. I WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE TO A SANDY SUBSTRATE FOR COSMETIC PURPOSES AND MIGHT DO THAT IF IT WILL HELP THE PLANTS....MY IDEA, FROM HYDROPONICS, IS THE ROCKS/GRAVEL WILL PROVIDE AMPLE SPACE FOR THE ROOTS TO GROW MAKING THE PLANT HEALTHIER, COMPARED TO DIRT(WHICH RESTRICTS ROOT GROWTH). MAYBE AQUARIUMS ARE DIFFERENT, WHICH IS WHY IM HERE AND MY OTHER CONCERN IS THE SAND WILL CAUSE MY FILTERS TO GO BAD. PERHAPS NOT SINCE MY ANGELFISH DONT STIR IT UP. SINCE I AM NOT DOING THAT DIY PROJECT I HAVE A THEORY OF TAKING SOME SCRAP GLASS I HAVE AND CREATING A FLAT GLASS HOOD. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THAT

Attached Image:

CH-CH-CHOMPPPPPPPP
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2011 17:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Here is an example of what I mean by the habitrail idea. It looks like this person built it out of acrylic panes. You obviously don't have to build something that goes across the room, a U would work.

><>
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2011 18:17Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies