SubscribeFilter Issues...
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I have a HOB AquaClear filter for my 20g, works great, been an awesome piece of equipment. However here recently, the little try that holds my filter media has been pushing the lid of the filter off a bit. Finally today, I noticed the lid was gone, it had fallen into the tank and the little "shelf/rack" that holds the filter media was pushed way up, so far that the mechanical media was up out of the water in the filter...

Has anyone ever had that happen with a filter before? Sort of wierd, I think!
Post InfoPosted 30-Nov-2007 04:55Profile PM Edit Report 
Optimusprime
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 6
male canada
Not exactly understanding what you mean is the tray to big or is it actually moving ?
have you tried cleaning the filter were the tray goes.

Is this beign caused by the pressure of the water going through the filter tray ?

"All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was."
Toni Morrison.
CHECK MY PROFILE FOR PICTURES.
Post InfoPosted 30-Nov-2007 05:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
That happens with our AC occasionally too Scott, usually when the sponge is starting to get a bit clogged up.

Give the sponge a really good squeeze out in some old tank water, re-seat it and see what happens.

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 30-Nov-2007 05:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tigermom
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 48
Votes: 59
female usa
I've been having the same thing happen to me on my Aqua Clear 70. I'm not exactly sure what causes it or how to stop it completely but i have cleaned the sponge and this sometimes solves the problem. Now I just leave one of my small fans on top of it that is used to cool the tank.

Tigermom
Post InfoPosted 30-Nov-2007 08:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Are you using the official filter media or are you using filter wool or bags of media?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 30-Nov-2007 10:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
I have a WC due to be done this weekend, I will give the sponge a good squeeze into the water I am taking from the tank. I has been awhile since I have cleaned the sponge. I usually shake out the ceramics bag in tank water 3-4 times more often thatn I do clean the sponge.

I always use the media that is designed for that filter model, along with all the components that came with the filter. I haven't had to replace the tray or any media. In fact, the only media I have replaced is carbon but I am currently not using any carbon. I bet it is the sponge being plugged with gunk, when the water tries to flow through it, it cannot and thus the sponge and tray are lifted by the water moving through (or not, lol) them.

Thanks! It all makes sense to me now lol
Post InfoPosted 30-Nov-2007 13:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
For an easier clean, and possibly resolving the problem permanently, you could put the sponge on the top of the rack. Ive never had an AC before, but i think that the lift will only lift the sponge, and not the whole thing.

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 01-Dec-2007 22:35Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
cleaned out the sponge in outgoing tank water during my last WC, resolved the problem! yay!
Post InfoPosted 09-Dec-2007 20:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies