-----
Fingerling
Oodles Of Noodles
Kudos: 11
Votes: 5
female usa
EditedEdited by Poobles
Hey guys.

I setup my 2nd take this weekend, it was for a friend. Its a 10gal with a hang on back carbon filter. I was really impressed with how easy they are to setup and how powerful they are.

The next day I went out and bought one for my tank, SO now I have the under gravel filter and a hang on back filter.

Is this overkill?
Will it hurt anything?

Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2008 16:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
Undergravel filters and airpump = minimal flow.

The gph -gallons per hour- on the hob filter determines the flow rate. What kind of hob filter and model ? Does it say the flow rate on the box or in the booklet ?
Some also say on the box - good for up to 15gal - etc.
Anything ?

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2008 17:16Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
It is certainly not an over kill. I have a UGF with three risers also each riser has its own air pump and the Eheim Pro11 for the 5ft tank.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2008 05:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
It won't hurt anything at all

I like UGFs for biofiltration and tank stability but maintenance is a pain. Having a HOB will catch far more waste than it is able to suck down.

If you want, you might want to read up on RUGF setups, which is basically a UGF going in reverse so it blows the waste up for anoter filter to grab and remove. Best of both worlds IMO

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2008 05:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 08-Apr-2008 05:19
This post has been deleted
Poobles
-----
Fingerling
Oodles Of Noodles
Kudos: 11
Votes: 5
female usa
Im not sure about how much power it has BUT the box said for 10 gal tanks its a "top fin" filter.

I noticed theres a lot more water current in my tank now, the guppies love it. Although my corycats haven't gotten used to it yet - they just kind of stay in the cave.

Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2008 15:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
EditedEdited by djrichie
It's perfect poodles, you could have ran a 10 gal on a UGF but adding a HOB will make life easier for you. It doesn't however mean you don't have to do WC's weekly, I known people who thought that, so I thought I share. Remember to change the filter monthly with new floss and activated carbon or I just wait until I see the water returning to the tank by the suction line these filters are designed that way, I get 6 weeks instead of 4 weeks on the floss. It's important to change out the carbon, as it removes trace elements the water, including some of the ferts you add for your plants, and will leach out putting back all the bad stuff back into the tank. I run my tanks without any carbon and only use it when meds neeed to be removed. The filter may have a area to grow a bio-colony, if it doesn't you can add some bio rings to the tank area of the filter. This will help in keeping a more balanced tank.

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2008 18:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies