Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHeater Question
jcmed

Small Fry
Kudos: 7
Votes: 2
male usa us-arkansas
EditedEdited 25-Jan-2011 23:51
I have a 10 gallon tank with a 2-15 gallon heater in it, the insstructions said that there was no need to adjust the thermostat (because theres not one). it says it will keep the water temp at 78F. when I wake up in the morning to check the tank it reads 72-74 F. its brand new, is this normal for the thurmostat to be that sluggish? I have taken it out and submersed it in a cold glass of water and the light comes on..(its a fully submersable heater). my 50 gallon tank has a adjustable thermostat though.
I also just learned that moveing the heaters closer to the running water helps disperse the conduction of heat better, I did move it closer to the filter system of the tank.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2011 23:47Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Personally I would get an Eheim jager 50w heater it will be perfect, and it will work as a heater should and that is have a good thermostat setting and extremely easy to set up.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2011 03:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jcmed

Small Fry
male usa us-arkansas
thanks for the input. I may try that
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2011 03:49Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
jcmed

Small Fry
male usa us-arkansas
I exchanged my small automatic 76F 2-15 gallon heater with an adjustable heater. and its for 30- 50 gallon, but im going to titrate it down, because I know the heater is not for his ten gallon starter tank, at least he will stay at the right temp lights on or lights off.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2011 18:16Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Adjustable thermostats are much better heaters than the single temperature ones anyway .

Heaters don't always have directions but it's usually best to get them installed in the tank then leave them unplugged for 10-15 minutes before plugging them in so that the internal thermostat can adjust.
At least that's how I've always read was the best way to put in a heater. Not sure if heater technology has improved much in teh past few years but it could explain why you were getting a low temperature with your old heater. It was also likely underrated for your tank.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2011 00:13Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
jcmed

Small Fry
male usa us-arkansas
EditedEdited 27-Jan-2011 00:26
I totally agree, yea the same applies for my heater, I had to leave it unplugged for 15 min before plugging it it, I had to do that for my 50 gallon when I added tropical fish in it too

its doing well, and stabilized a couple of centimeters away from min temp...its a foot long heater, the only adjustable they had...but it stabilized for my blood worm eating dragon-fish

He's now in 81-82 F water (stabilized) after tweaking it on and off all day
Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2011 00:20Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
The mini little single temp heaters are good for a back up heater, I personally like the Marineland "Stealth" heaters because they are all black and easier to hide in the background. It is all up to personal preference though (although I'm sure that you should stick to one of the "typically" better brands for better results).

I usually runt two heaters in tanks, especially the smaller tanks I like to keep a little heater and a larger heater so that if one goes out the water temp doesn't dip drastically.

Ten Gallon tanks are tons of fun, but have tendencies to get cold and build up waste fast because of their size.

Good luck!
-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2011 04:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies