Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMy tank may be leaking - minor crisis
CrimsonaX
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 57
female australia
EditedEdited 04-Sep-2009 03:00
There\'s been water coming from a lower corner of my fishtank and I suspect there is a leak. In that event I have no idea what to do or how to repair it, and I fear the stand has been damaged due to this water leak.

I\'ll be attaching a picture.

Without knowing exactly where the leak is, or having the money to buy a new tank, let alone the space to set another one up, I\'m in a bit of a panic. It almost looks like half the stand is on the give way side.

Any advice on what to do or whether it can be salvaged?

Attached Image:

Tank base
Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2009 02:59Profile PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Drop the water level NOW. Less weight means less pressure on the leak and the stand.

See if you can prop up the side of the stand with something. It is an AR/Aquaone model setup, yeah? with a pedestal stand? The last thing you need is for the tank to slither off the side and smash.

Where are you located? Maybe someone nearby can fishsit or loan you a tank for a bit while this one is repaired.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2009 03:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
It looks like you either wait and see what happens or the whole tank will be on the floor and I know where my money is sorry to say its on the floor.

If the stand is damaged it will twist and this will cause the reason for the leak.

It looks like a complete pull down weather you want to or not.

Repair you will be lucky to find any glazier who will do it. The frame is different that will depend on how bad the damage is.

I would go to Bunnings straight away and buy a big plastic bin and salvage what you can. You will have to reconnect the filter etc to what ever you use.

My advice do it NOW

I have had a tank crack from top to bottom while I was standing in front of it.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2009 09:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
CrimsonaX
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 57
female australia
EditedEdited 04-Sep-2009 14:23
A new tank has been purchased on (cry) credit, the joy, although the base (a sturdy one this time) does need some amount of assembly, I've got a large plastic bin I can house the fish in temporarily (it's 60 l) but I'm unsure if this is safe to heat. Anyone know?

It's your standard container that you can find in most supermarkets and $2 stores.

Edit: It's more of a tub not a bin...So far fishies are all doing well in their makeshift home, filters working there too. Old tank's been drained almost completely, the leaking seems to have eased up considerably as logic would probably dictate. But the stand looks like a throw away, it was always a bit awkward when I got it (a very tiny slant as opposed to the huge slope now) so I guess I bought it thinking it was a bargain n now I'm $300 poorer for it. Pricey lesson learned.
Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2009 09:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I've used the plastic bins on a temporary basis with no problem, I'd say just make sure the heater isn't touching any part of the plastic directly. Temps should be warming up and you might not need the heater as much, if it's against a rock or some decor you should be fine.

Only drawback I've found is that the less sturdy plastics tend to bow out a lot, never had one break though, but I don't never used on for more then a few days max.

Seems to be an awful lot of tank damage going round, we still need to reseal ours

^_^

Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2009 01:00Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Those storage tubs are fine, I know plenty of people that use them as permanent housing and breeding setups.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2009 01:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies