Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeA death a day......
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
So for some reason I have been loosing atleast one guppy a day in my 55 gallon planted tank and I can't figure out why. There is no outward signs of anything wrong, all the fish look really healthy and are very active. The tank has been set up now for about 4 months, so it is deffinetly cycled. Water parameters are:
Ph 7.2
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20 ppm (planted tank so this should be fine?)
temp 78

The tank is not heavly planted but has quite a few plants. There is also mollys, swortails, platys, gold gourami, BN plecos and bamboo shrimp in there. I have lost 1 molly and 2 platys aswell. But mostly guppys and it has been going on for a week now. Any thoughts on what would eb causing this?
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2009 11:18Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
for awhile ive been experiencing this too,i think it was because i had an infected guppy with ich.after i treated with pimafix, it like irritated the wounds and they turned red,the salt in the tank for the guppies some how like cleansed it too much or maybe gave them salt burns and i lose on about every 3 too four days.hopefully my fry will survive though
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2009 15:32Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Gourami

It could be several things how old are the guppies, the Gold Gourami "might" be a cause especially if it is an adult male, I did say might.
Water change what percentage do you do and how often.
Water get you water supply tested just in case there is a problem there.
Filtration type how do you claim it and how often also have you recently replaced any filter material.
It is a new tank and should not have the old tank syndrome at all. Substrate when and how was it cleaned.
All I am giving you is a short list of possibilities
I hope this help you
CK to start of with you dont treat Ich with Pimafix or salt no wonder they died
Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2009 04:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
EditedEdited by Babelfish
if you read some of my old threads i asked about melafix and someone not to name names mentioned pimafix would be better
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2009 05:06Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
EditedEdited by keithgh
There seems to be either a mix up or a confusion of problems and treatments.

This INFO is from the Pimafix and Melafix booklet.
Pimafix is a natural Antifungal remedy.
Rapidly treats fungal infections on body and fins.

Melafix is a natural Antibacterial remedy.
It is for the treatment of bacterial infections.
It rapidly repairs damaged fins, ulcers, and open wounds.

Both of these medications can be used together and with many other medications (It always pays to check first)

Ich treatment is totally different and there are many medications out there for it some are recommended for scaleles fish at half strength and other not to be used for scaleless fish.
Melafix "can" be used with Ich medications this helps to reduce the stress and help in healing of any secondary infections it is not a treatment as such for Ich.

Salt and there are several varieties of that too should not be used to treat Ich today as has been explained many times on FP. I believe it can be used in certain circumstances for certain treatments but I would never use it unless I was given expert advice by a Vet or some one who treated fish and knows exactly what they are talking about.
I have read an article that Salt can be used for treating ICH on Goldfish but not being a Goldfish fish keeper and breeder I personally cannot recommend it.

I have also read some plants can be washed in a weak salt solution before introducing them into a tank to kill many nasties. BUT all traces must be wash off before they are placed into a tank.

If using any medication it pays to get all the correct info not just hear say. I have E/M medical makers/suppliers several times to get the correct info rather than get the incorect answer.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2009 08:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
well its just the frustrating fact that i explained that i thought it was ich and was inquiring on using melafix to treat it because i was unsure as how to treat it and i memeber specifically said they thought pimafix would be better
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2009 17:06Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
i explained that i thought it was Ich

CK here lies the problem "Never Assume" especially with some thing like a fish tank and in a forum when you are asking questions. I fully realise that we all have to learn. If you are not sure either take photos or go to a good LFS to establish exactly what the problem. What might look like on thing could be totally different.

Over the years I have had the odd case of Ich and it is always treated with a specific White Spot cure, like "Rapid White Spot Remedy" and I always add a few drops of Melafix to reduce stress and help in the healing "IF" there is a secondary infection.
Now saying all that you can see the Melafix is not the WS cure it is a secondary cure.

This is where Chat is fantastic a lot of question can be asked so that it eliminates any wrong diagnosis of a problem.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2009 07:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
the trouble is keith that thee really is no good lfs. we have walmart which is garbage, petco- which is about a half step up from walmart, and petsmart-which is good and has healthy fish generally but no high school kid will no anything about fish sickness's there as ive tried.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2009 07:34Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 18-Jan-2009 19:03
This post has been deleted
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
CK...

well its just the frustrating fact that i explained that i thought it was ich and was inquiring on using melafix to treat it because i was unsure as how to treat it and i memeber specifically said they thought pimafix would be better

I specifically remember two comments refering to this:

Hi,
OK, but... These are anti- bacteria and fungal medications.
They won't work for worms or parasites.

Frank

Posted 30-Dec-2008 06:39

Then Keith wrote:

Melafix is a natural Antibacterial remedy.
It is for the treatment of bacterial infections.
It rapidly repairs damaged fins, ulcers, and open wounds.

Both of these medications can be used together and with many other medications (It always pays to check first)

Ich treatment is totally different and there are many medications out there for it some are recommended for scaleles fish at half strength and other not to be used for scaleless fish.
Melafix "can" be used with Ich medications this helps to reduce the stress and help in healing of any secondary infections it is not a treatment as such for Ich.

You ask, you are advised, and you do the opposite.

This thread was started by Gourami. Your comments are not
adding anything to the thread's resolution. You have, in
effect, hijacked this thread. If you have no substantive
information, you should refrain from commenting in this
or other threads.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2009 19:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 18-Jan-2009 19:47
This post has been deleted
ginsing
Small Fry
Kudos: 7
Votes: 0
female
EditedEdited 05-Aug-2009 19:26
It is a new tank and should not have the old tank syndrome at all.

Keith,

Not to hijack the thread but I'm curious about "old tank syndrome." I've heard of the former but not the latter. What happens and is there anything you can do to prevent it besides reg maintenance? Please let me know if I should ask this somewhere else.

Thanks!

55gal Freshwater Tropical, Emperor 500 Biowheel
8 Lemon Tetras,4 Dwarf Neon Rainbows,1 Blue Spot Gourami, 3 Clown Loaches, 1 Lemon Spotted Pleco
Post InfoPosted 05-Aug-2009 19:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
By general thinking, when a question is asked,
and answered, it frequently gets readers thinking
and they "tack on" questions about things that the
thread has reminded them of but they are not
necessarily a continuation of the original theme.
That's how a thread is frequently hijacked.

To maintain continuity within the thread, it would
usually be better if the person posting the "oh by the way
What if" question, creates a new thread and asks their
question.

Here is a link on the Old Tank Syndrome:

http://www.bestfish.com/oldtank.html

And in the other direction, here is on on the New Tank
Syndrome:

http://www.bestfish.com/breakin.html

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2009 03:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies