Kudos: 6
Votes: 0
Stats:

30gal tank
Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrite (NO2) = 0ppm
Nitrate (NO3) = 20ppm
PH = 8.2

Other fish = 2 tiger barb, 2 albino tigers, 1 Angel fish, 2 bala sharks, 1 pleco

Story =

I have had this tank maybe 3 months, had bought it off someone. It came with the Gourami, Angelfish, and a 13inch Pleco. When I got it everything tested fine (PH was 7.8 then) except for Nitrates which were over 160ppm. I took this forums advice with lots of water changes and deep gravel cleaning. I then gave the 13 inch Pleco to a friend with a bigger tank, and got a small Pleco in its place.

While getting the 13 inch Pleco out, my heater broke. I bought a new heater, and placed it in, acclimated it and such.. turned it on, and when I woke up the temp was 27 celsius which I believe is in the range of the all the fish. Anyhow, that means it went up 3-4 degrees overnight.

When I came from work all the fish were super active, but the Gourami was resting on the tank bottom. James(the Gourami) will periodically swim around, and it isn't erratic at all, except when he gets near something and he swims like he doesn't see it. (Example: swimming into the glass vigorously like its not there, swimming into the pump stem)

He will then swim to the top of the tank, and take a few breaths, and go back down to resting.. I have also noticed his fins have a red tint to them where they join his body.

There are no obvious signs of disease. No cloudiness in eyes, spots, or anything but the fins as described above.

Advice (including the PH level, is that to high)

Thanks so much.
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2009 00:28Profile PM Edit Report 
Spartacus
Small Fry
new symptom.. he seems to of gained a red tint to him, all over.
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2009 01:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
Kudos: 63
Votes: 10
female usa
I don't know what it might be. I would suggest getting in touch with a QUALITY fish store (as in, NOT one of the major chains), and talking to the manager or owner of the store (who should be a basic fish guru) and describe the symptoms to him/her, and tell them about the red tinting. Hopefully they'll have some answers for you.
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2009 04:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
Redness near his fins, where they connect to the body, is a sign of parasites. I would see about getting some parasite medicine for the tank in case it starts to spread to your other fish.
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2009 04:30Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Spartacus
Small Fry
Well, I called the LFS, and talked to owner... he said he thought it was a bacterial infection and gave me some anti-bacterials to add to the water.

That was 2 days ago. Today I found a Bala Shark had died, the AngelFish is getting it, as well as the other Bala Shark.

The Bala Shark that is still alive has cottony type stuff on it.

Looking through this forums it seems like it is "fungal"????

I suppose I am gonna to give both the Anti-Viral, and Anti-bacterial stuff at the same time (as the forum suggests)

Any advice?
Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2009 03:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
What meds specifically did the lfs give you?
I would recheck all your water quality levels as many meds will kill the bacteria that keeps your tank cycled. If ammonia and nitrite are up, you may need to neutralise them while dosing meds.
Also make sure you have water surface agitation, to increase the oxygen levels in the water.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2009 08:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Spartacus
Small Fry
woke up, 2 more fish passed, the other bala and a small pleco...

wth is this? i've never seen something come on so quickly and so badly.
Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2009 10:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Spartacus
Small Fry
the specific meds are MelaFix (anti-bacterial) and PimaFifungal)

nitrite and ammonia are at 0 and i have plenty of surface agitation as i have 2 pumps going in it at this time
Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2009 10:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Spartacus
Small Fry
called another fish store, they said stick with the anti bacteria... third dose no change.

The tiger barbs in the tank started picking on the Gourami to the point where he started bleeding. I put the tiger barbs in a partitioned part of the tank, kinda small, but i put an air stone in there.

could the tiger bard of killed the bala sharks and pleco over night by picking on them while they were sick?
Post InfoPosted 31-Oct-2009 00:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Tiger barbs will be rather aggressive when kept in small schools, you've got two different ones and they can attack each other and others.

Red in the fins can also be a sign of septicemia, during the deep gravel cleaning a lot of waste can and does get stirred up, usually this is picked up by the gravel vac but can also enter the fishes system. I went through a similar situation when trying to get a used tank I had rescued under control. The nitrAtes were off the charts, fish poorly stocked and many of them just not doing well. The water changes almost seemed to do more harm then good for many of the fish.

IMO/IME melafix is not an antibacterial. If it is a bacterial issue in the tank you need to get a proper antibacterial medication. Also, when dosing medications make sure the carbon is out of your filter (it will remove medication from the water column) and it can help to add Cycle to help keep the beneficial bacteria alive and kicking.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 31-Oct-2009 01:03Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I am glad Lindy mentioned about the Meds could be killing the "Good" Bacteria in your tank.

To remedy that I would double dose your tank with Seachem "Stability" for one week only then as per instructions this might seem radical radical but the way you are going at the moment you will not have a fish left in your tank.

When using the Stability I would turn off the lights feed only 50% every third day this will reduce the fish waste considerably.

Also add as much air as you can this will increase the water surface and aerate the tank a lot more.

Finally see if you can get some cheap leafy floating plants. Even floating stem plants will help.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 31-Oct-2009 01:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies