Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMelafix
lazylizardlady
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 21
Votes: 1
female usa
This might be a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyways. I've never used Melafix before but I was thinking about buying some just to have around because of everything I've read about it. I also read on the bottle that it's good to add to a tank when you add new fish (if you're an idiot like me and don't have a QT tank). I noticed though that it's basically diluted Melaleuca Oil (tea tree oil). I've used Melaleuca Oil for years for thousands of different things and always have it on hand. Could you make your own "Melafix" solution? Does anyone have any experience doing so??
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 22:58Profile PM Edit Report 
chelaine
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 343
Votes: 78
female usa
I've never made my own, but i would suggest having some around just in case... i keep a variety of different fish medications around just in case something happens.. its always a good idea to be prepared.

*Chelle*
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 23:00Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
lazylizardlady
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 21
Votes: 1
female usa
I do keep some things on hand but not much - mainly becuase I don't really know what the absolute necessities are... You know, that might be a great post for someone much more experienced than me - a basic first aid kit? Is there maybe a post about that already that I just can't find??
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 23:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
luvmykrib
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 256
Votes: 27
female canada
I think the problem with keeping meds to have on hand is that they age like all drugs do, they have expiry dates and lose their effectiveness over time. In my 'First Aid Kit' I keep Jungle Labs Fugus Eliminator, Ich Guard, Mela-fix, Pima-Fix. I use prime water conditioner, but I also have Shield-ex and a product called Res-Q, as well as Aqua-Plus. I don't know why I have so many conditioners, I just can't resist sales pitches I guess. Metronidazole (spelling?) is a good one to have on hand as well, it clears out protozoans and some bacteria as well. Some people keep Maracyn and Maracyn 2 on hand, there's also Mardel, but it may be better to wait to find out what you need rather than have stale product and have it fail.

Always keep spare carbon on hand for after the medication is done, it absorbs it quickly, you need to discard the carbon after about a week, otherwise it can start to release everything back into the water.

"If you're afraid you'll make a mistake, you won't make anything."
-Family Circus
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 23:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
A very interesting question.

Being in Aust and in a area Tea Tree grows like a weed. There are many varieties of Tea Tree is it not possible they only use a specific variety of Tea Tree to extract the oil and at a specific strength.

Personally I would only use Melafix as I know it works and the product is always the same.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 04:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
Yes, I agree with Keith.
I would stick with the actual
Melafix.
Also, I must make a mention here about
Tea Tree Oil and Melafix.
It is a very highly concentrated and potent
drug Melafix. According to a friend of mine
who is a Chemist, melafix can rise to lethal levels
in the aquarium quite rapidly, espescially when we
take our carbon out during treatments. If you follow
the instructions on the bottle re: 1 capful per 10g
of aquarium water daily
Within 1 weeks time this amount can build to harmful levels.
Levels can be regulated by treating full strength for 4 consecutive treatments, and then follow on day 5 with a 35% water change and repeat same procedure until illness is on the mend.
This way you can avoid harmful levels and assist fish healing.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2006 02:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies