Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNeed Diagnosis on Gourami Please
ginsing
Small Fry
Kudos: 7
Votes: 0
female
EditedEdited by ¤gïñ§ïng§¤
Hi, and thanks for the site. Please see signature for tank specs and here are my water parameters:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite (note the I): 0
Nitrate (note the A): 10
pH: 6.8
Temp: 82

I noticed a problem last night with a small pink-looking bump under the Gourami's mouth. I'm wondering if it is a parasite introduced after I put some small feeder snails in for the Loaches? I've had this tank over 5 years with no major problems. He's not showing any signs, no flashing, still feeding and swimming fine. Any ideas?

I set up a small 10 gallon for the feeder snails but I'm reluctant to use them anymore. Can these carry parasites?

I've also recently begun using a Python No Spill (no more buckets) and I'm worried as to whether I've been adding enough Aquarium Salt since I feel like I'm guessing a little bit about the amount of water going back in. Adding it in (dissolved) along with the Stress Coat after the fact. I'm so used to it going in 5 gallon bucket at a time. Is there a test I can get to check the salinity and what should that be?

Thanks for any advice!

Jennifer

55gal Freshwater Tropical, Emperor 500 Biowheel
8 Lemon Tetras,4 Dwarf Neon Rainbows,1 Blue Spot Gourami, 3 Clown Loaches, 1 Lemon Spotted Pleco
Post InfoPosted 04-Jun-2009 20:46Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Hey there, welcome to FP.

A pink bump could just be some incidental damage to the lip, like a bruise and not necessarily a parasite. You've got good water conditions so it's not necessarily a big deal.

Snails can be intermediate hosts for fish parasites, but these parasites are not common in the aquarium hobby.

To measure salinity you either need a hydrometer, refractometer, or even fancier tool. A hydrometer is cheapest but can be innacurate. Refractometers are great for a hobbyist as they give an instant reading and are more accurate. That said, personally I do not use salt in freshwater tanks; maintaining salinity is a pain in the butt, as you have learned, and it's more cause for stress than is necessary. Freshwater fish do just fine without added salt.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2009 00:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
First why are you using Aquarium salt? I dont think I have used it for over 30 years certainly it was a big deal then saying it had to be added to certain fish especially live bearers. Today I dont think it is used much at all unless in certain circumstances it might be required.

Now for the lump As Shinigami mentioned could be accidental but I would keep a good eye on it. If it starts to get bigger please post a photo this will help a lot.
The only medication you might like to try is Pimafix but this is for fungal treatment. It could easily turn into a secondary infection and them Pimafix would help if you get it treated quickly.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2009 02:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
I'll skip to the mechanics of the water change...
The easiest way is to use a washed out gallon jug and
a piece of hose. I rinsed out a gallon milk jug several
times and then when the run off was clear, I filled the
tank to the level where it is normally kept.
For me it is at the bottom of the black plastic trim that
runs around the outside of the tank.

Once the tank is as full as it normally is kept, I took a
hose and siphoned the water out of the tank, a gallon at a
time. With each gallon withdrawn, I took a black felt tip
marker (water proof) and on the outside of the tank on the
side of the tank, at the back corner I drew a line at
the new water level and then marked it 1 gallon.
I then emptied the jug down the drain and
siphoned off another gallon, and again placed a line along
the waters edge and marked it 2 and repeated the procedure
down to 1/2 of the tank's capacity.

Once done, you simply setup the Python stick the siphon
head into the tank and pull off however many gallons you
want simply by watching the water recede down the side
of the tank. Now you know you took "X" number of gallons
out of the tank and replacing it with that amount and can
easily determine how much salt you want to use to replace
what you took out.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2009 02:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ginsing
Small Fry
Kudos: 7
Votes: 0
female
EditedEdited by ¤gïñ§ïng§¤
Thank you all for your responses.

Shinigami, Today, there is no "bump" and I can hardly see anything at all. Barely a pink spot. My first assumption was a parasite but now it may be due to an injury as you suggested. He is e to flipping around angrily at the siphon and the magnet scrubber when I clean the tank.

keithgh, I guess my use of Aquarium Salt started with the clown loaches. I didn't have a quarantine tank at the time and didn't really know to use one when I added them. Unfortunately, they came with ick. My LFS told me to raise the temp and add salt, which did the trick but they said it makes a good preventative. But after what you've just told me, I think I'll ween them off of it. I've found I can't always trust everything they tell me. Been using 1 tblspn per 5 gallons for water changes (not for topping off the tank though).

Given the number of years I've been adding salt, I probably should get a refractometer to make sure salinity is not too high already. My water has gradually gotten VERY HARD while the PH has been getting slightly more acidic (as low as 6.5 until I added some crushed coral). Could salt be the cause of this?

Oh, and by the way. I do have two 10 gallon tanks with livebearers (though I've made sure they're all male). Should I skip the salt here too?

Frank, pretty slick! Now I feel like an idiot measuring by hand all this time.

55gal Freshwater Tropical, Emperor 500 Biowheel
8 Lemon Tetras,4 Dwarf Neon Rainbows,1 Blue Spot Gourami, 3 Clown Loaches, 1 Lemon Spotted Pleco
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2009 05:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies