SubscribeViolent Guppy/Dead Neon and Guppy
gordonuk
Small Fry
Kudos: 6
Votes: 0
uk
EditedEdited 26-Dec-2010 20:03
Male Guppy:-

2 days ago I bought 2 female and 1 male guppies., the females are fine and forraging about and mixing fine with the other residents of the tank, but the male is acting strange.

Since 3pm that day, it has stayed in the same position at the top of the tank, its not moved from that position at all.

Is there something wrong with it?, or is it just new enviroment thats making it do this?, its strange that the females are fine but the male just stays at the top and dont move like he is treading water.

he does not even move for the females, and his thing!! does not wag about when there about, maybe he is still too young!

Female Guppy:-

based on the attached video, how long do you think before she gives birth, just now she is quite agressive and nipping tails and forcing itself to all the food. You can see she is fat and had area where eyes are.

but my main concern now is the female she has been extremely agressive, nipping at my Platy tails. its also forcing its way for the food and agressivly pushing them out of the way. Not sure if she is pregnanyt or not but she is quite a nasty female, compared to the other passive female and male.

http://picasaweb.google.com/101960161225890911628/Pregguppy?feat=directlink#

http://vimeo.com/18150352

I got 3 guppies on Thursday 23rd December, but from the start the large female was quite agressive and nipping tails and forcing itself to all the food. I was watching her over the past few days and Friday she was nipping at tails and head butting my pregnant platy in the stomach, she was even attacking my neon tetras and nipping their fins.
The last straw was on Saturday when she really started harrassing my platy and also terrorising the male Guppy and also my neon tetras, she attacked my little neon and its scurried to the bottom corner of the tank out of the way. I watched it has night and and it was breating very fast and looked pretty much alone.

I isolated the female Guppy into a net tank to keep it under control.

This morning, Sunday I found my little Neon Tetra floating on the surface, dead, the killer Guppy is to blame.

....as for the male guppy he is still swimming at the top of the tank, the other female has passed by him and he makes no attempt of being interested. or moving from his position.

I was watching him for about 20 minutes today and at 2.45pm he just turned on his side and went upside down and died before my eyes.

1. Anyone know why the female guppy is agressive?
2. What could have caused the Male guppy to act like that then die?

Attached Image:

---****----
Follow my tank with regular updates

http://tankupdate.blogspot.com

9 Neon Tetra
7 Platy (1 male, 6 females)
7 Platy Fry
1 Female Guppy
1 Black Widow Tetra
Post InfoPosted 26-Dec-2010 19:59Profile PM Edit Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
What is the ph of the tank and the size of the tank?
It would also be good to do a measurement of the ammonia and nitrite and give us the temperature you run the tank at.
Perhaps some plants would help to break up the tank and lessen the aggression.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 26-Dec-2010 21:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
gordonuk
Small Fry
uk
EditedEdited 26-Dec-2010 22:22
I use the Tetra 6 in 1 test strips, all the levels seem within the safe bounderies. and Ph is between 6.8 and 7.2

Its a 120 lt juwel 4ft tank

Temp is betwen 25.0c and 25.7c

I have lots of plants in the tank, look at images here of how it looks
http://picasaweb.google.com/101960161225890911628/

---****----

9 Neon Tetra
7 Platy Fry
1 Female Guppy
1 Black Widow Tetra
Post InfoPosted 26-Dec-2010 22:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
gordonuk
Small Fry
uk
I put the female guppy back in the main tank after punishment in the isolation tank but The killer guppy has struck again, it attacked another neon tetra, it tried to bite its head off. I have had to put it in the isolation net again.

Have had to secure the poor neon and it does not look good at all. It is pointing face up to the surface and tail down.

why is this an evil fish????

---****----

9 Neon Tetra
7 Platy Fry
1 Female Guppy
1 Black Widow Tetra
Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2010 23:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
Test strips are notoriously inaccurate. Can you get a sample of water in a jar and get a lfs to test your water.
Ask for the numbers of the results and post back here. A pH between 6.8 and 7.2 isnt accurate enough.
Ask them to test:
Ammonia,
Nitrite and
Nitrate.

Until then keep the guppy in quarentine. I think they are getting stressed out and behaving out of the ordinary because of some water quality issues.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 29-Dec-2010 05:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I would be very surprised if you do not have water issues.

Sorry to say those test strips a total waste of paper and money, either buy a quality test kit or get all your water testing done buy your LFS regularly.

You have not mentioned any about your tank at all.

How old is it?

Water changes?

Filtration etc.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 29-Dec-2010 05:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
gordonuk
Small Fry
uk
The killer Guppy is now gone, took it back to the LFS but did not get a refund or an exchange. While I was there bought 4 new platy females so my male can keep busy!, and 2 other fish I have no idea what they are.

Pics of the new platy on the blog, but here is the fish i cant remember name of. It is the long fish thats in the gravel.

The LFS also did a water test and there was no issue, all tests were ok.

---****----

9 Neon Tetra
7 Platy Fry
1 Female Guppy
1 Black Widow Tetra
Post InfoPosted 29-Dec-2010 14:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 36
Votes: 1
female canada
good idea of taking the fish back, sometimes that is best.
I would advise you, at some point to buy a test kit.
you should answer the question of how long your tank has been set up.
It looks very new to me, unless you are very good at cleaning it up....
would it be 3 months old or 1 month or less?
did the lfs not give you numbers by way of saying its fine??
whats the NO2 the NO3 read?
a new tank doesnt have readings of these two for some time.
A large tank like yours takes some time to fully cycle.
and its always best to test 4-5 days in a row to know if the Nitrites are on the rise or the down fall..
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2010 06:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies