Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I just need to complain.

My house was crawling with roaches. It happens a lot. Every year we put barrier spray around the doors and windows in early spring and that stops them coming in the house. They still swarm around the backyard, but that is ok.

This year, wanna know what I did?

I left my syphons hanging right near the back door. All of my various diameters and lengths are now useless. I can't even easily replace them because Bunnings now only sells by the roll, not the metre *sulk*

Add to this I cannot carry buckets. I can barely carry a teacup. I've gone and damaged my neck/shoulder to the point that one is visibly lower than the other, and everyone is pointing at my habit of carrying 20L buckets and suggesting perhaps I shouldn't be doing that so much. At all. Ever again.

I'm currently draining my tanks using the garden hose with a short length of non-comtaminated hose attached to the end. The hose is covered in cockroach spray, the endy bit isn't. I'm 99% sure it'll be fine, but you never know with insecticide.

I'm not quite there yet, but I am starting to see the appeal of the Python.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 24-Oct-2009 12:33Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Callatya
They are possibly breeding in the house any way. The barrier is only stopping new ones coming into the house.
To completely remove them it might have to be a complete house fumigation.

20lt water containers I stopped carrying them years ago 15lt is a perfect size (Ex Bunnings)

I never lift a bucket for a top refill either I bought a plastic watering also Bunnings

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2009 00:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
Have you tried Clark Rubber for the tubing?
Insects are a pain arent they? I had an ant infestation last year and ended up having to get someone in to fumigate. It drove them into the house even more for a while but they eventually left/died. Rotten things!

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2009 00:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Would you be allowed to use a bucket on wheels, or are there steps involved from your back door (I cant remember)

We use a powerhead connected to hose and a really big empty trash bin (unused obviously). I'm also thinking of my parents shop vac, that had the bucket part on wheels (r2d2's body). Fill that from the tank, roll out to the back door, plug in powerhead pump water out where needed?

Course this all depends on you finding hose

^_^

Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2009 01:17Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 181
Votes: 1
male newzealand
Surely there are other hardware stores around?
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2009 21:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Callatya

Are you referring to the clear plastic tubing various sizes or the Garden Hose type.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Oct-2009 02:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies