AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# 40G Long Log
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe40G Long Log
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Wait a mintute... guess that didn't really have to be said... little bit of a rant...with some...

Nah it's best to let those frustrations out everynow and again. Just take a deep breath....close your eyes and imagine you are on a white sandy beach with the clear waters swashing back and forth all soothingly...Warm sunshine on your face, no worries in the world.....you are feeling sleepy....very sleepy...now when I snap my fingers you will think you are a dog...

Anyways I was looking at your profile and I can't figure out what guppy grass is...wanna clue me in?

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2006 18:42Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
EditedEdited by Wingsdlc
wanna clue me in

Ok fine! But then I have to get working on the last bit of homework for today!

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_viewer.php?id=174
close up from the same site

My profile is a bit of a mess right now I am sure. I haven't looked at it in a while....

Edit: for some reason I feel the need to scrach behind my ears!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2006 18:55Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
don't give in to it

Ah I know that as najas grass. Thanks. Now get to that homework. I've been bogged down the last few days as well.

Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2006 19:12Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
Kudos: 47
Votes: 99
male usa
Wings,

That marselia looks pretty cool. I've never seen it down here in Houston though. Did you order it from FloridaDriftwood.com or did you find it locally?

Rick
See all my pictures at Google Web Albums
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2006 20:12Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Just to get back to the 4-LG thingy:

Yes, I have in the past seen both of your links, but instead of going for the FD site image, which is indeed very nice, I looked more at your second link, by Rhonda Wilson. I have very high opinions of her, although she is not a high light/tech person. If you look at her pictures then the 4-LG looks more like a really bad growing of Glosso.

And that is why I never thought of getting it.

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2006 20:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by Wingsdlc
Ah I know that as najas grass
Yeah I know it as that too but guppy grass is easier for me to remember.

Did you order it from FloridaDriftwood.com or did you find it locally?
It came from the store I work at. We just got a big shipment of plants from a place in FL. I do know know who it exacly came from.

I have very high opinions of her, although she is not a high light/tech person. If you look at her pictures then the 4-LG looks more like a really bad growing of Glosso.
I know what you are talking about with the bad growing Glosso. I am guessing though that with my 6.5WPG and CO2 the stuff is going to stay lower and grow thicker. It is suposed to grow much slower than glosso so it should be easier to handle.

Time will tell!

Thanks for your input though!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2006 20:57Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
the stuff is going to stay lower and grow thicker. It is suposed to grow much slower than glosso so it should be easier to handle
That's what I am hoping it will do for you as well. As, if it does so, I will get it then, too

I wonder if it grows even slower than HC

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2006 21:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Marsilea sp. are easy to grow Aquarium plants. These plants tolerate low light levels
That looks a really nice plant Wings and looks like it would work in my tank (low light), but I take it, it will grow higher & not be as nice as when with higher light.

Don't worry Wings about there not being enough interest in plants where you are, here I think the interest is even less. I have never even seen NL Java Fern, so I doubt I will find 4-LC - but I will look out for it - very nice plant. Ricia can only be bought from other hobbyist on ebay - at least from what I can see. Finally won a bid & my fish ate the lot. .

I look forward to seeing pics (when you can beg, borrow, steal) a camera of when the plant is established in your tank.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 26-Oct-2006 00:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I wonder if it grows even slower than HC

I will do some poking around to see what I can find out about it. I have never messed with HC or 4-LC before.

I will try to let things settle in for a week or so then try and steal a camera again.

Thanks for stopping in!

PS. LF Java....I want to get my hands on that but it is never on a list when I get to make the order.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 26-Oct-2006 04:00Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
EditedEdited by LITTLE_FISH
LF Java
Little_Fish Java? I am not selling

Anyway, while walking around my backyard yesterday (no, I did not bury the Apisto) I looked at all the regular Clover that is replacing the lawn in some spots ( ) and I was wondering: has anyone ever tried to add this one to the tank? Why would 4-LC work but not 3-LC? I know, one is probably a land plant while the other is probably a marsh plant (which, btw, makes it also questionable for long term submersed growth), but did anyone ever try?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 26-Oct-2006 14:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
The vast majority of plants we keep in our aquariums aren't true submersed plants. Most are bog/marsh plants, but will do fine submersed. The clover you find in your backyard is a different story. It's never in it's biological history been consistantly under water and wouldn't last long there. You can try though.

Post InfoPosted 26-Oct-2006 15:07Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by Wingsdlc
Little_Fish Java? I am not selling
Dang it! TYPE-O!

What I ment to say was NL-Java Fern. I think this plant would work much better in my set up than the normal JF. I guess if you don't want to sell me any LF-NL-Java Fern I will have to just keep looking......

As for the Clover talk... I am with Matty! I think they are two very differnt plants. If the 4-LC doesn't do well then I am not really out much as I got them as a trade off for other plants I have brought into the store.

One more thing: Last night was the first night that the riccia has pearled for me. It was only one rock though. I am starting to think that I put this stuff on too thick/ too tight. If by next week I don't start to see some growth I will cut the hair net and try again. I guess its a good thing I got the 144 pack of hair nets!

Is tetra ever coming back?!?!?!?!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 27-Oct-2006 14:15Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Is tetra ever coming back?!?!?!?!

If this weren't the internet we'd have scrapped his tanks for parts by now. <----calls dibbs on new lights.

Post InfoPosted 27-Oct-2006 14:48Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
If this weren't the internet we'd have scrapped his tanks for parts by now
First call - I take his Riccia scape

Wings, you may have to give it some time to settle, don't rip it apart after one week already.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 27-Oct-2006 19:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I wasn't going to rip all of the rocks a part just a couple of them that look too think and too tightly wraped.

Last night a couple of them were starting to look a little better though so we will have to wait it out a bit longer... Maybe two weeks worth...

I want his Rotala and the tank...

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2006 14:37Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Well last night we had a power outage. I think it went off around 4pm and didn't come back on until 12ish (who really knows when there is a time change!)

When I got up to reset the timers I found one of my rasboras in bad shape. It was simming in a shakey jolty way. This fish also had some weird red streaks through the mid part of its body. I don't know if someone in the tank kicked its butt or it has some sort of infection. Being I am not a big fan of treating a take with meds I just put the fish out. I didn't think it would hang in there for too long anyways.

For the next couple of weeks I am going to keep a close eye on the rest of the fish. I really don't want to get into a habbit of losing them.

As for the plants:
The old leaves of the 4-LC are starting to die off. It looks like the plant is starting to root itself in well so I will be trimming the old leaves off tomorrow and will start hopping for some new growth.

Everything else seems to be doing fairly well. I am probably going to do a small replant tomorrow if I have time. Right now I am thinking of just moving two groups of plants (Baccopa and crypts). Pictures will come in a couple of weeks......maybe if you and I are both lucky!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2006 15:24Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Wings,

Sorry to hear about the fish. I have to say that it is, IMHO, doubtful that the issues are purely power outage related, maybe the fish was sick beforehand and the outage intensified the symptoms. 8 hours is nothing, except:

- If your filter was really dirty (cannister, right?) and your tank did not contain any good bacteria (unlikely)
- If the temp in the tank really fell far down and then heated up really fast again after the power came back on (or did you add hot water?)

About the 4-LC: Take your time with the trimming, is my suggestion. How long do you have it now, one week?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2006 00:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Sorry for the loss Wings.

Good luck with 4-LC

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2006 12:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Losses happen. More often than I would like sometimes but it happens.

I don't really think the loss came because of the loss of power. It just so happened that I noticed the fish at this time.

The temperature might have been an issue but its hard telling now. I did not add any hot water to the tank. I would guess that the Air temp in the house couldn't have gotten below 55 degrees. The water temp would have been much less effected.

I got a few plants from one of my co-workers yesterday. One of them I thought was Anubias Nana Petite from his picture. It for sure isn't the Anubias but could be some type of ludwigia as the under sides of the leaves are redish.

The Riccia is doing pretty well. I am seeing some growth in all the rocks but one. The one without any growth I think is wraped too tight. Will try to fix it up sometime this week.

Thanks for stopping in once a again.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2006 16:40Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
Wings,

The tank looks good. I still think you need tigher groups and some more constrast. Don't worry about the riccia being wrapped too tight. It usually takes about 10 days to start taking off.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2006 17:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
WOW WOW WOW! Tetra is back in action!

Thanks for the in put with the riccia. I will run with it for a while if you don't think I should worry about it yet.

As for the tighter groups. That I something I have been slowly working on.

Contrast is another issue too. I am having a really hard time finding plants that fit was I want. One of the biggest things I am looking for is something with small leaves. I think this is going to help the tank look much larger than it is. The second things is it has to have dark leaves or something with a bit or color too it. I was thinking that Ludwigia would be nice but I have never had good luck with the stuff. I guess I will have to make an online order sometime..

Thanks for stopping in tetra, you have been missed around here.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2006 19:41Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Well I did make just enough time to do a little replant. I only moved two groups of plants (Cryptorcoryne balansae and Baccopa). The baccopa is now in a much tighter group and looks much better. I think I need a few more balansae though to make it stronger. I guess I will have to do some digging in the discus tank at work to see if I can find some smaller ones.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 31-Oct-2006 15:00Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Just a couple of new things.

I had one set of lights go out on my tank the other day. Last night I picked up two new bulbs. I went with the Coralife 10,000K. They are much cleaner in color than the 6,700K. I probably would have went with the 6,700K but we only had one bulb and i wanted to get two.

I also picked up some rotala wallichii (sorry tetra!) I like this plant because it has super small neadly leafs and had a bit of color to it. I also might try some Ludwigia for something darker in the tank later this week.

Everything seems to be growing really well right now. Over the past couple of days the Sunset Hygro has growing inches from the very short tops I left in the tank. I am really impressed with the riccia right now. It is starting to fill in nicely.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 06-Nov-2006 15:33Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I had one set of lights go out on my tank the other day.
What, it literally went out? It must have been in bad shape then for a while already, except if you dropped it or something like that.

No wonder your plants do great now.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 06-Nov-2006 17:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
The bulbs were a little over a year old. I have also had some issues with the bulbs flashing every once in a while. I am not sure if it was an issue with the bulbs getting old or the ballast is going out. I messed around with using differnt bulbs in the ones that flashed with out any problems so I figured I would get new bulbs because one of the originals burned out.

Today will be the first day with the new bulb. So the extra growth can't be contributied to the new bulbs. I am guessing it has to do with me being better about water changes and the ferts.

Also I forgot to tell you all about the 4-LC! It is putting out new leaves. The new ones are a single leaf and the stem is only about 1/2 inch tall. If it starts spreading around I am going to be quite happy with it.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 06-Nov-2006 18:58Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
AHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I just replaced my CO2 a month or two ago and it went dead last night! Now the question is, is there are leak or did I drain it down when I had my CO2 issue? Or both?

The lighting has been reduced to about 6 hours.... With a lighting nap time to see if I can get rid of the GS algae again. I also dosed with excel this morning just to keep some carbon in the tank. I am not sure when I will get a chance to refill it again....maybe friday....

First the lights then this!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2006 15:01Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Good news on the 4-LC, or should I say 1-LC?

Bad news on the CO2. Hard to tell what caused it to empty so quickly, just one thing is for sure: that was way too fast.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2006 15:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
For the C02, I would guess it to be from your C02 mishap. From memory, you had it running for sometime (was it 30mins) at almost full throttle. That would sure go through a lot of C02.

I hope that is the reason and not that something is faulty.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 00:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa

CO2 for sure ran out way too fast. I am guessing that it was due to the "full throttle" issue or at least hoping for that. If there is something actualy broken or leaking then I probably wont replace it for some time.

Just to add to my issues with equipment I came home last night to strobing lights! I am guessing that the ballast is bad so I will have to start looking into getting a new one. If I can't get one or its too much $$ then I will probably just go back to the 3.25WPG. Things grew just find with that before so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

First the lights then this!
Then right back to the lights!

Should I be cutting back on my ferts now that I don't have CO2 and my lights have been cut back? I am dosing Excel everyday thus far.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 15:13Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Sorry you now have light problems too. Well you what they say, "it never rains, but it pours".

I don't know how to work out the amunt of reduced ferts, but the others will quckly pipe in with advice. I would say yes, you do need to reduce. In my non C02 tanks, which are only half your size, I dose excel daily and KN03 1/4 tspn once a week & just a pinch of KH2P04. Once a week 5ml traces.

I don't think I have things quite right though, as I am having some algae in both tanks.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 15:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Yep, I'd cut back the ferts to less than half what you'd normally do. That's if you are running at the 3 wpg or whatever. If there's no light, then no ferts. If you are going with the 3 wpg I'd definitely make sure to cut it back so the high light is maybe only an hour a day and the lower light is on for 8ish.

Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 15:57Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Yes, cut back, but not to nothing. As you know, plants do a lot of food uptake during night, so they still need stuff.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 17:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Ok here is what I have going on.

I do not have a high light any more. Just 3.25 as compared to running two sets of light at 6.5.

Right now I have the lights set to run for 3 hours. Take a couple hours off and then back on for another 3 hours. I was doing this for quite a while and I think it worked pretty well to get rid of my GS algae which has come back since I stoped the lighting nap.

Ferts:
Yesterday I cut the N back to 1/4 tsp from 1/2 tsp. The K and P I only lowered a little, from 1/8 to somewhere under that.

I talked to my boss yesterday and I might be able to get a new ballast. Hopefully cheap! I think I will probably get the CO2 back up tomorrow night.

Also I never increased the amount of ferts much when I doubled the amount of light. Instead of doing strait 1/2 tsp I started doing a light heaping 1/2 tsp of N.

Thanks for all of your input. As always, it is welcomed.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2006 15:16Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
The K and P I only lowered a little, from 1/8 to somewhere under that
Wings, what are you adding there, Mono Potassium Sulfate? Why only lower it a little? You are doing EI, right? Adding 50% (1/8P vs 1/4N) of posphates will not keep your balance to be roughly 1/10, you will have much more P in proportion.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 10:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
you will have much more P in proportion.
And more P will help take out the GS right? Or at least not let it take over any more!

I am probably doing about half of a 1/8th tsp. I don't have a smaller one yet so I just guess. The whole point of EI is to guess right??

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 14:56Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
The whole point of EI is to guess right??
Well, I would call it "making an educated guess".

You may not remember, but not all too long ago I had the discussion here about high phosphate levels. While all agreed that high levels are not dangerous with regards to fish and algae, the definition of high was "2 to 3 ppm". Nobody but myself at that time had experience with 5ppm ++, and I believe that it does cause issues. So, all of you, here is something to "discuss"

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 15:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I think my normal dose for P was around 3 to 3.5... maybe almost 4. I would have to go look but I don't have time right now.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 15:44Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Ok so my normal dose of P is 3.24ppm. None of my dosing has been really great this past week because I haven't had a chance to get the CO2 up again. It is in todays game plan. I have to make a trip to the school I am doing one of my internships at and the welding store is right on the way.

Other than that I have been dosing excel everyday and the plants seem to be growing just fine. Even the riccia has showed some nice growth and will be needing a trim here in a couple weeks.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2006 15:32Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Ok so my normal dose of P is 3.24ppm
Why so much? Do you have such a high uptake for P? Or is that the sum for the entire week?

Glad to hear that your plants are doing ok without the CO2, so far.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2006 17:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I am doing that 3 times a week!

40-60 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp K2S04 3x a week
+/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

http://www.barrreport.com/articles/42-ei-light-those-less-techy-folks.html

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2006 19:48Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by Wingsdlc
Well I got my CO2 back up and running. I did away with the cheap buble counter as it was leaking. I have never really paid too much attention to it any ways. I tend to look at the stream of bubles coming out of the diffuser. I was not able to check my PH last night but everything seemed fine when I got home around 11pm. Meaning the fish were swimming not floating. It was kind of nice to see all the bubles again even though much of the pearling was probably from the water change. The riccia was truly loaded with bubles. Very cool stuff. I will actualy be home tonight so I can check the PH to see where I am at.

Also I opened my lighting back up to one full chunk of time. 1-9pm so 8 hours. From the 3 and 3 hour split.

Edit: I hit 300 post in my log! Some day I might catch up!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 14-Nov-2006 15:12Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Also I opened my lighting back up to one full chunk of time. 1-9pm so 8 hours. From the 3 and 3 hour split.
Why?

I hit 300 post in my log

Nice Wings

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2006 14:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa

"Why?"
With the lack of CO2 for that week I wanted to cut my lighting way back so I just let them have a nap. Now that I have the CO2 back up and running I figured I could open the lighting back up although I think I might keep the nap time thing because I think it works.

Any more thoughts on my dosing?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2006 15:45Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I'd have moved the lighting period back up a little slower. Give the plants some time with the CO2, then increase it hour by hour until you are back where you want to be.

The dosing is right for EI methods no doubt. Lots of everything there.

Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2006 16:04Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
I'd have moved the lighting period back up a little slower. Give the plants some time with the CO2, then increase it hour by hour until you are back where you want to be.

Good advice, slooooow moves baby

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2006 21:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
The dosing is right for EI methods no doubt. Lots of everything there.
Thanks for the confirmation!

As for the lighting I guess I will cut it back a bit again with my lighting break.

slooooow moves baby
Right right... It is so easy to forget about the slowness when life is hitting you so fast. (More school work than I have ever had to do, flat tire on the wifes car, dead battery on mine....blah blah blah!)

Did you really need to call me baby? Thats just weird!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 16-Nov-2006 15:05Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty

Well it's better than shnookums or cupcake or something of that nature.

Post InfoPosted 16-Nov-2006 16:20Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa

Just an expression Wings. I don't literally think your my baby Remember I'm from Long Guy-land!

I have my violin out for your busy lifestyle. Don't worry it gets worse than a dead battery and flat tire. I have three kids and my wife and I both work, plus I have a very hairy dog. So you could imagine between the sports, music, art and acting lessons I don't have much free time not to mention the expense. I am bascially a mule, carrying my kids things and taking them from place to place. When it comes to planted aquaria, my family is not allowed to bother me when my hands are in my tank.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 16-Nov-2006 16:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
plus I have a very hairy dog.

I just found that funny. I know what you mean though wings, tetratech may not have sympathy for the school part(old fart doesnn't remember what it was like), but I do. My car just impaled itself with it's own muffler, and I had 2 tests, a quiz and a nice fat paper all in the last 2 days. I'm pooped and my brain is fired....or fried. Maybe both.

Post InfoPosted 16-Nov-2006 23:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
EditedEdited by tetratech
I just found that funny. I know what you mean though wings, tetratech may not have sympathy for the school part(old fart doesnn't remember what it was like), but I do. My car just impaled itself with it's own muffler, and I had 2 tests, a quiz and a nice fat paper all in the last 2 days. I'm pooped and my brain is fired....or fried. Maybe both.

Didn't mean to be insensitive Wings, but I guess Matty is right I am becoming an old fart. Somewhere along the way I stopped becoming the primary focus of my life and that honor went to my kids. I guess when I look back craming for test, car issues, etc. those don't seem as difficult, but then again when your younger those things are difficult. I think you know what I mean. I do remember taking an Asian History Studies course (got shut out of American history)at SUNY Oswego and we used to have all-nite Asian Ritual Study Groups in which we burned our study notes when we were done and kept the ashes in the study room ceiling. Another fond memory was celebrating my 20th Bday at the college pub, with my "friends" pumping me full of 20 shots of everything imaginable. I ended up in the local hospital and I couldn't drink anything but milk and water for a year.

Yeah so I do have some good memories of my college years /:'

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2006 00:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Thing really aren't too bad. I mean they suck compared to a few semesters ago but if things were super bad then I would probably be failing some or all of my classes. At this point I am doing pretty well in them. I just have to get through the next couple of weeks then finals week will be a cake walk. The car stuff really wasn't that big of a deal. It could have been much worse. We found a tire shop to fix the tire for free and my battery cost about 100 bucks after buys some tools too.

impaled itself with it's own muffler
Ouch! That could be really bad! Wasn't there a myth busters about that?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2006 16:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
No, I've seen most of the mythbusters, and I don't remember that one. It could exist though. I think it would be hard for it to actually peirce up into the car since it is pretty thin metal, but it did do quite a bit of damage to the undercarrage. I'm no car person, but there were a few things other than the muffler that they had to fix.

Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2006 18:31Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
When things are happening in your life - exams, flat tires, flat batteries, kids music lessons - footy - basketball - work. Whatever, at the time it always seems that you must be the most rushed, most time poor, most broke person around. That's just how it is. We all feel it that way. But I hear what tetratech is saying. I guess that means I've become an old fxxt too. The difference with kids is, things that make you rushed are usually no longer your own things. It's no longer because you're studying for yourself to set up your career (a very necessary thing to do). It's because "they" have to study, or must go to music, dance, training, friends, horse riding - whatever. You no longer have time for yourself. If your car breaks down, you'll be late for dance practice & dance fees will be harder to pay that month. There's no time or money left for your own hobbies. Eg. water change & tank maintenance starts for me around 9pm on Wednesday night. If it is a night where I have a lot of trimming to do, by the time I pack up all my equipment after (I don't have a python - it's a big container on wheels I push too & fro & empty manually) it can be 3am before I fall into bed.

At the time our stresses are occurring (students or anyone) they always seem the worst (human nature). Example, my daughter just finished her final high school exams. Nearly every night for the past 3 months, she had a headache. It must have been stress. Now the exams over now, there's no more headache. These exams were a huge burden to her.

We still have the drama of the Year 12 School Formal (equivalent to your Prom). After that & Speech Night, we are done for school in our household. Yay (but a big tear too).

I'm hopeful of a less rushed existence now, though still working full time.

So from another "old fxxt" to someone still starting out, good luck with your exams. Don't stress too much.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2006 00:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
That's why I'm never having kids. Me me me me . Well that and I don't like them, and I'm getting old too. I'm not sure I'll ever be up for it, I hope not anyways. I'm going to let my brother and sister have all the children, I'm sure I'll get plenty of child abuse(that's children abusing me, not the other way around) just from them. My sister just had one, and one is on the way from my brother and his wife. Takes the pressure of me from my parents. I thought for the longest time I'd never be an uncle, but all is well I s'pose.

I get what you old farts are saying though. No more privacy and no more personal time. To most it's worth it though. At least you'll have someone to change your diapers when you're decrepit.

So errmm....to make this post plant relevant....ummm, yeah. I don't remember what the last thing was that we were talking about on this thread. Maybe lights? Oh yeah...sloooow moooooves cupcake. Turn those lights up slow

Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2006 01:51Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I'm getting old too. I'm not sure I'll ever be up for it
You're never "up to it". It just snuck up on me & there it was.
At least you'll have someone to change your diapers when you're decrepit.
That's the plan. She wants to be a nurse & loves working with old people (she's worked part time in a nursing home for 2yrs & before that, volunteered there for a year). So, when she sets up her own nursing home (her current furture plan) - I'm in.

But back to plant/tank talk. Glad the C02 is back & running. What have you noticed in paticular about the nap time thing to show it works. Do you mean reduced algae? I'm having algae issues in both my non C02 tank. Do you think it would this nap system would help.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2006 02:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
You're never "up to it". It just snuck up on me & there it was.

I don't even want to go there....where's bensaf and his dirty joke count? If he got 500 from a cat sleeping in my lap, I wonder how many he could get from this.

Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2006 02:18Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
now, now, play nice. I guess that did come out kinda funny. Just meant motherhood & responsibilites snuck up me.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2006 02:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Wow look what happens in these logs!

Nap = GS algea be gone! At least it did last time I did it. The idea came from "Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants" by Peter Hiscock.

The basic idea is that plants can turn photosynthesis on and off quicky, while it takes aglae longer preriods of time to get the job done.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2006 15:38Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Gosh....
I'm glad you guys changed topics...
THANKS for giving me something else to look forward to!!

Frank

Just in case I was misunderstood:
Thanks for giving me something else to look forward to
as I age (gracefully).

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2006 17:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Shrimp update:

This weekend I found a baby CRS in the 40G hanging out in the bushy riccia that is starting to take off for me. It is the only one that I have seen at this point but there is a lot of tank for them to hind in. My only concern is how many am I going to suck out when I do water changes?

Also I counted 5 or 6 baby CRS in the 2G hex this morning. I was starting to worry that this tank was going to be too cool of a water them for them to actualy breed in. I guess I was wrong. The nice thing about this tank is that the only thing that might pick on them is their parents. While in the 40G I have a feeling the Rasboras might take them out.

Needless to say I am a very happy CRS Daddy!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2006 18:04Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Congratulations CRS Daddy

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2006 23:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Nice Wings,

Babies are always good as the overall live span isn't all that long with these guys.

And I will not talk about the other stuff mentioned above then, just

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2006 00:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by Wingsdlc
Does anyone have any idea how long the life span is with the CRS or the Amanos?

Also, with the lighting nap I am not getting nearly as much pearling as I used to. The riccia didn't hvae any one it last night. I think that this plant needs longer lighting periods.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2006 14:57Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
From what I know, and that is not much, these mini-shrimp live for maybe 6 to 9 months. Amanos on the other hand between 1 and 2 years. The downside though is that Amanos will never have babies in your freshwater tank.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2006 15:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
The downside though is that Amanos will never have babies in your freshwater tank.
That is why I have been trying to talk one of my co-workers to breed them for me!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 22-Nov-2006 04:40Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Well last week was a long week. I did not get to my water chages and did not get to dosing at all either. Here in a couple minutes I am going to do my water change. While doing so. Remove some hard scape to make room for some more riccia rocks. I am also going to try and find my self some stainless steel screen to use for a carpeting structure for the riccia.

The big news in plants for me is not in this tank but in my 55G. The plant originally came from the 40g though. This plant was the big crypt that used to take up a 1/4 of the tank on the left hand side of the tank. I came back from visiting family back home to find that I have crypt flowers. They are not the prettiest thing but are rather neat. Sorry I don't have a camera for actual proof but I found some pictures online to show you what they look like.

http://www.nationaalherbarium.nl/Cryptocoryne/Gallery/wen/wen.html

I actualy have two of them on side by side plants. Needless to say I am pretty geeked up!

Here is some info on the tank:
~Water changes everyother week there abouts.
~Try to dose excel everyother day.
~Try to dose flourish 2x a week.
~30W of light on a 55g = .55WPG (the bulbs are aqua-glo that are about 3 years old.)

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 27-Nov-2006 15:44Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Wings

Congratulations on the crypt flower. Alos, I hope the exams are going ok for you.

Your riccia plan reminded me of this listing I saw during the week on ebay. He has an interesting system - but wouldn't it cause a lot of dead area under nearly a solid sheet of glass (if you do what he suggests & line up the glass). With wire screen, you could still gravel vac through the riccia & screen down to the gravel to some extent, but I don't like the thought of gravel underneath, almost completely sealed by the glass sheeting. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RICCIA-8x12cm-on-glass_W0QQitemZ290054286747QQihZ019QQcategoryZ66794QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyway, for the flower.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 27-Nov-2006 23:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I did not get to my water chages and did not get to dosing at all either.
Well, did you at least reduce the lighting or feeding during that time? I am amazed what this tank allows you to do. You have about 300wpg () over it and nothing really bad happens. What is your secret?

Congrats on the flowers, I truely wish you will get a camera for Xmas so we can see something a little more frequent. I am just glad if I can keep my crypts alive.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 28-Nov-2006 10:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by Wingsdlc
Well, did you at least reduce the lighting or feeding during that time? I am amazed what this tank allows you to do. You have about 300wpg () over it and nothing really bad happens. What is your secret?
Secret? Well first off, I have 130 watt (3.25WPG) on the tank. I still have the four bulb fixture on the tank but one of the ballest is junk so I can only run 2 bulbs. I am thinking of changing the junk one out for a 96W ballest and running the 96W bulb as the second light. This will probably happen over Christmas though. I still need to see if the ballest are the same size.

Speaking of lighting... Has any one ever thought of using halogen work lights for your tank? A customer at my store said thats what he is using and it works really well. The biggest question I have about them is the spectrum.

Something like this?
http://www.elights.com/worlig250wat.html

Back on track...
I think the biggest thing I have going for me right now is fish load.

7 Brillant Rasboras
10 Otos
9+ CRS
5? Amanos

I do a light feeding about every other day or so. Some times everyday other times less often.

TW,
Using glass is kind of a neat idea for riccia. The nice think about it is you can remove it easy for cleaning. The bad thing is that its all non natural shapes. I am going to be on the look out for some stainless steel screen because I can shape that more. To keep the ricca the site I found said to use fishing sinkers. I have plenty of those around.

Edit:
LF,
If you didn't move the crypts around so much I bet they would work better for you!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 28-Nov-2006 15:20Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I doubt you can get a halogen light of proper spectrum for photosynthetic organisms. I bet he meant metal Halide lighting, some people say halogen when they mean metal halide. Actually with the proper ballast and bulb, you can make a relatively cheap halide pendant using the halogen casing, but that's a different story.

Post InfoPosted 28-Nov-2006 17:29Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
From my understanding he is using the work lights as is.

What is the difference between the halogen and MH light? They look almost the same but I haven't really looked at either one that closely.

Thanks for your help so far Matty?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 29-Nov-2006 00:57Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Wings,
How are the baby CRS doing? What else is in the tank with them?

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 29-Nov-2006 16:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Tetra,

Every once in a while I see on in the the 40G. When I see them they look good. In this thank I have Otos and Brilliant Rasboras and Amanos.

I have a feeling that the rasboras might eat some of the baby CRS. I have caught them chasing after some of the larger ones a while back. Maybe I should feed them a little more.

In the 2G I have quite a few babies. They are about 1/2 the size of the ones I see in the 40G. The only thing is this tank is CRS and some small Rams horn snails. I think that most of these ones will make it. They also have less of a chace of being lost to the Gravel Vac.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 29-Nov-2006 17:35Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Halogen lights are basically suped up incandescent filiment type lights. They put out a lot of light, but aren't efficient. I think something like 2 300w halogen lamps would equal 1 175W halide lamp for PAR(but would still be the wrong spectrum, lots of red and yellow?), and would be 10X hotter and obviously use more electricity. So with those 2 300W you end up with cooked fish and a hair algae problem.

Halides are much more efficient than halogens(but not as compared to say....T5HO), and put out less heat watt for watt(but are still hotter than say....T5HO), and come in reef and plant friendly spectrums like 6,500K, 10,000K, 14,000K, and 20,000K. They are probably more similar to fluorescent lighting as they contain no filiment, but instead pass electric current through a mix of gasses, like their namesake metal halides.

Post InfoPosted 29-Nov-2006 20:59Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Matty,

Thanks for all the input on lights. I guess I will rule out the halogens. Right now I think I will try he 96W ballast in the fixture as my second light. Maybe someday I will try MH as I think it would be fun.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 29-Nov-2006 21:10Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/?action=view&current=idea-1.jpg

Ok so this isn't a real picture but it kind of shows you what I have going on.

Today I plan on adding Riccia rocks to the right side of the tank and wrapping the Rotala I. around the Crypt S.

Also I forgot that the forground is starting to very very slowly fill in with the 4-LC. It is mainly on the left side. If the bosses make a plant order sometime soon I will by trying my luck with glosso on the right side of the tank to see what I like better.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 04-Dec-2006 15:42Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Never got to my water change yesterday. It might happen tonight. I don't think I have too much to do...

LAST WEEK OF THE SEMESTER!!!!!!/:'

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 05-Dec-2006 15:00Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
the forground is starting to very very slowly fill in with the 4-LC
So, how does it look? Do you like it? How dense is it? How tall?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 05-Dec-2006 15:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by Wingsdlc
So, how does it look? Do you like it? How dense is it? How tall?

It still looks a little patchy. As I said... it is growing very very slow so its not real thick yet. The new growth does look pretty nice as it is single leaf and maybe 1/2 inch tall.

I think I want to try my hand at glosso though.... Maybe I will run with both for a bit....Also thinking about hair grass.....

This is a tank from a simi-local guy I know that is growing the 4-CL.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/photo-album/23176-esarkipatos-29g-setup-56k-warning-3.html

What do you think of the layout? (my tank...)

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 05-Dec-2006 16:05Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I think I want to try my hand at glosso though.... Maybe I will run with both for a bit....Also thinking about hair grass.....
That is going to become a 3-way battle, with the winner by starvation being the Glosso, no doubt. Once it takes off there will a huge effort required on your end to keep it in check.
This is a tank from a simi-local guy I know that is growing the 4-CL.
The tank with the BBA on the 4-LC?
What do you think of the layout? (my tank...)
For me, that is hard to tell. I cannot even express my toughts when envisioning how I would like something to look, so I totally suck at looking at a drawing and imagine how this will look "for real". Sorry

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 05-Dec-2006 16:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by Wingsdlc
For me, that is hard to tell. I cannot even express my toughts when envisioning how I would like something to look, so I totally suck at looking at a drawing and imagine how this will look "for real". Sorry
Ahh its alright... My semester is over next Tuesday. Maybe I can steal a camera sometime soon... I have been wanting to show the tank off for a while now......

The tank with the BBA on the 4-LC?
Thats the one... he is having some problems but as with most of us he has a lot going on..... BTW how is your tank doing with the BBA?

That is going to become a 3-way battle, with the winner by starvation being the Glosso, no doubt. Once it takes off there will a huge effort required on your end to keep it in check.
Yeah I was figuring I might have a little more time to work on the tank next semester.... At least I hope I will... Is it really that hard to control?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2006 00:45Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Wings<-----
Quote from LF~
? I am amazed what this tank allows you to do
Yeah I just found some nasty stuff in my tank last night!

Bright green, Fuzzy, on the back of the glass in a circle 2x the size of a CD. I have a good hand full of shrimp in the tank but I don't know if they can get to it being the filter out put is right about there.

My game plan is to swab up some Excel in my scruby pad and srub it off.

What do you think?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2006 14:42Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Sounds like a plan to me.

I would first try to take the python (or such), a credit card (expired preferred), and scrape it off while sucking out the water at the same time, like a vacuum cleaner.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2006 15:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Very interesting idea to take care of it but you are a day too late. I took my scruby pad and swabed up some excel in it. Then went to town on the nasty area of the glass. I am hoping the contact with the excel will kill the stuff off.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2006 15:46Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
Good luck Wings. I was under the impression that Excel was most effective against BBA, not the fluffy green business...

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2006 16:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Oh, it will kill it NowherMan6,

If I have a collection of green fluff in the upper parts of my tank (like on tall wood, power head, spraybar) then I put a few drops of Excel on them and within days the stuff is dead. It is the high intensity that kills it.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2006 16:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
That's interesting. How does it work in high-flow areas? Wouldn't high flow wash the Excel off it before it has time to work its magic, so to speak?

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2006 16:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
I know Amanos aren't known to eat BBA, but I had a bunch of tufts on my monkey skull in my 12g and the amanos took care of it. Either the pickings were slim and they ate it to survive or they simply dislodged it with their feet and it ended up in the water column.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2006 17:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Wouldn't high flow wash the Excel off it before it has time to work its magic, so to speak?
Exactly, that is the reason why I can do this only in higher up areas that are exposed to air during the water change, guess I should have mentioned that part .

Once the water level is low enough, I add Excel with a dropper to the invested areas.
I know Amanos aren't known to eat BBA
There is a recent picture in my 40G log showing an Amano just marching over a bushel of BBA, and not taking even one bite

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2006 18:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
There is a recent picture in my 40G log showing an Amano just marching over a bushel of BBA, and not taking even one bite

Well maybe he saw a different type of algae he liked better

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2006 18:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa

They do the same in my 4G. They sure do seem to love New Life Spectrum, though

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2006 19:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Wow this is the most action I have gotten here in a while!

Shrimp ~ They always seem to be busy eatting something so that makes me happy! Sometimes though I wish they would eat the stuff I bought them to eat!

Excel ~ I think that the stuff would work better if it could stay there for a while but we will see what happens. Right now it has only been a couple of days and the Green fuzzy's do not seems to be coming back....... Time will tell.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2006 15:07Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I wish they would eat the stuff I bought them to eat!

You buy them food ? Like what? Seaweed?

Wow this is the most action I have gotten ... in a while!

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2006 15:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
Wow this is the most action I have gotten here in a while!

I would make a comment about married life here but I've been zapped by the mods before so I don't want to incur any further wrath

Let us know how the excel treatment goes.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2006 16:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
You buy them food ? Like what? Seaweed?
NO NO NO I bought the shrimp to eat not stuff for them to eat!

I would make a comment about married life here but I've been zapped by the mods before so I don't want to incur any further wrath
Why do you guys have to be that way?

So far the excel seems to be doing well. Time will tell.

Ready for the pictures?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 09-Dec-2006 18:59Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Flower One
Flower Two
If you look close you can see two flowers. Both of which are pretty young. There are actualy 3 of them. That makes a total of 5 so far.

Rasboras on the left One
[link=Another pic of the rasboras on the left]http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/40%20gallon%20part%20XVI/?action=view&current=Rasboras-2.jpg [/link]

From these picture I would like to point out the Rotala W. that is not doing very hot. I am probably going to pull it out soon.

Rasboras in the center
See the colors?

Finally two full tanks shots.
Normal shot
With a side light

All questions, comments and LF style stuff are welcome.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 09-Dec-2006 19:13Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
That's lookin' real nice there wings. I like the low growth look you have going on. I wouldn't mind some more hardscape though. Overall, it looks very nice

Post InfoPosted 09-Dec-2006 20:57Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by Wingsdlc
Thanks for the comments Matty.

I like the low growth look you have going on.
Unlike like the last photo I showed
Even worse...

I wouldn't mind some more hardscape though
I have been thinking of redoing the DW as we have some pretty nice stuff at work but right now I can see spending that much on this tank.

I have also thought of geting some wood from http://manzanita.com/ The stuff looks kind of neat. Maybe Nowher can help me out with this one?

Anyothere sugestions? Things to clean up? Plants to try?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 10-Dec-2006 04:04Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Wings,
I think you have a nice foreground/midground thing going. Good constrast. I think the riccia works well. What are you going to do for background plants?

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2006 15:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Thanks for stopping in!

What are you going to do for background plants
Right now I kind of want to keep the overall hight down across the tank but I am still on the look out for a couple of nice plants for the back.

Maybe this plant

Any ideas for plants?

One thing I want to do is wrap the Rotala around the back side of the crypts but I need to make sure the stuff is going to grow for me. Right now all my plants have seemed to stall out a bit on growing.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2006 15:40Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
eBay, type in "Malaysian driftwood" or "african driftwood"

this place http://stores.ebay.com/RockArtSource_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ0QQftidZ2QQpZ2QQtZkm

has a lot of nice pieces right now. Shipping may be a little expensive, but if you like them and can't find them locally, it's worth it.

As for the plant you linked, egeria species are sensitive to excel.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2006 16:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Thanks for the link Nowher. I will do some looking around later today. There is some nice DW at work right now but I am not sure I really want to do a make over like that right now. I am always looking for some posible new stuff though.
As for the plant you linked, egeria species are sensitive to excel.
Thanks for the warning. I am pretty easy on the excel most of the time but it is always good to know.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2006 16:36Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
No problem. Also note that manzita wood is a big PITA to get water logged. Most people who use it leave it soaking for weeks or months at a time. Not fun, especially when there are lots of other options out there.

As for the background plants, i think the plant you linked to would be better suited as a bushy mid ground plant rather than background. If grown too tall it'll look lanky. Have you considered some of the taller crypt species, such as balansae, or maybe c. helferi? Both work better IMO when there are mid ground plants in front of them, but the tall leaves definitely add height.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2006 17:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Wings,
I agree with Nowher on the Egeria. I think it will be a big pain and not look tight.

Don't be afraid to use rock as well. Go with a rock style that constrasts with the substrate and use a full big pieces and push them against the substrate from front to mid to create levels and interest. Then build tight groups of plants around them. Put a dark background on the thank. It will pick up the subtle differences in the plants better.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2006 17:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by Wingsdlc
Nowher ~
I was kind of thinking of putting the Egeria behind/around the right hand side of the larger riccia rock on the left. More of a miground plant.

c. helferi meaning ~ this?
I think that the crypt in the back next to the Rotala in the center of the tank is balansae.

Tetra ~
Put a dark background on the thank
The background in the picture is a dark blue. I happen to have some reflections from the stairs in the back of the tank. (Sorry about that!)It kind of makes the background look much lighter than it is. Right now I have the background off because it feel off again and I took advantage of this to clean the back of the glass. Haven't put it back on yet because I am lazy but I also kind of like the openness of it. When I put it back up I will try the black background again.

Go with a rock style that constrasts with the substrate
Black be ok?

use a full big pieces and push them against the substrate from front to mid to create levels and interest
Want to show me what you are talking about here? Feel free to draw on my picutres...

The nice thing about my tank right now is that most of it is easy to move around.

Here is what I am thinking of for the Egeria on the left side of the tank. The pink line is where I would like the Rotala to grow to and the red line is where I would like the sunset hygro. Right now the hygro is hard to see because I have it trimmed pretty low.
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/40%20gallon%20part%20XVI/?action=view&current=Mod2.jpg

Edit: where did LF go? No pictures in his logs yet....

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2006 20:11Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Well I just got a call from one of my co-workers saying that be got our plant order in.

If the stuff that I picked out for myself got ordered and came in I will be trying some new plants.

Glosso
Dwarf Hair grass
Pearl Grass

There may have been something else too.....

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 15-Dec-2006 21:44Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Well just a quick little update. I brought home some plants on Saturday after work. Everything on the list above came home with me. Narrow Leaf Ludwigia was the other plant I wanted to try but it came in as Broad Leaf.

The pearl grass was some really nice stuff and got planted along the back side of the center group of riccia.

The hairgrass is in a patch in front of the right wisteria group and the glosso went in front of that. I am guessing the glosso was grow emersed because it was bright green and about 3 inches tall. Last night it was pearling though. I guess time will tell how well it works out. I just wanted to try something new.

Being that there as been some muttering of phosphates around here I figured I would test mine today before the water change.

I dose 3.24ppm 3X a week. When I tested today I got around 1pmm.

My NitrAtes were almost bottemed out today though. Could this be why some of my plants are not growing as well as they used to?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2006 20:12Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Well I have been talking to myself for a few days now but I guess I will keep at it.

Last night I picked up a 96W Coralife ballest from work to replace the bad 130W Current ballest from the Current light. The ballest were the exact same size so it was a great fit.

The only issue is that the 3' 96W bulb is being held by the two middle bulb holders (only an inch or two a part) so it can be centered. It is just a little wiggly. As long as I don't move it around too much I can't see it being a problem.

The game plan for lighting is to run the 96W for 10 hours and the 130W for about 2-3 in the afternoon.

For a bulb I was thinking of using a SunPaq Dual Daylight 6700°K/10000°K or a Coralife 6,700K bulb.

Right now the 130W is 10,000K. I am looking to kind of balance it out a little. The 6,700K is a bit green/yellow for me while the 10,000 is a little too white/blue.

Any thoughts or sugestions?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 21-Dec-2006 16:56Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
if only ADA made those wonderful 8000K bulbs in anything larger than 36W! It would make things a lot easier for us, trying to find a nice medium between 6700 and 10000K...

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 21-Dec-2006 17:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
haha yeah...

All glass makes a 55W 8,000K

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 21-Dec-2006 18:17Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
Yeah, there are a few ~8000K bulbs floating around, but they are all supposedly crud compared to the ADA versions, giving off an ugly color cast. If you look at photos of his tanks, i think that's why they photograph so well without that green cast.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 21-Dec-2006 20:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
So there is a reason the ADA stuff is so

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2006 15:18Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by Wingsdlc
Well I was gone for about four days for Christmas to come home and find all my tanks looking good.

I had an explosion of duckweed and Sunset while I was gone. Water changes are going to be coming a couple of days late but all should be fine. Wednesday might be my new day anyways.

Also I will soon be getting TFH to my door. It was a gift from the inlaws. (they are nice people!)

Hope everyone had a happy holiday!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2006 15:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Also I will soon be getting TFH to my door. It was a gift from the inlaws. (they are nice people!)
That's a nice thoughtful gift for them to give you

BTW, I tried looking at your photobucket photos (via your signature link), but it asks me to login or register, which if I did, I assume wouldn't show me your pictures, but any of my own?

Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 12:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
BTW, I tried looking at your photobucket photos (via your signature link), but it asks me to login or register, which if I did, I assume wouldn't show me your pictures, but any of my own?

Am I doing something wrong?
No it's not your fault. Photobucket has changed their site I guess and it now defults to the home page. I have tried to fix it but it hasn't seemed to work yet. I will check again here in a bit.

If you want to see my pictures do a search for wingsdlc.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 15:15Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by Wingsdlc
Photo bucket link works now.

Thanks for leting me know!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 16:41Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Wings,

I checked out the photobucket pictures. The tank is looking good. Are you still struggling with the lack of growth? You mentioned running out on N have you upped the ferts?

Rick
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2007 16:17Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by Wingsdlc
I haven't changed anything with my dosing.

I did a Nitrate test before the water change on Monday and it showed 10-20 ppm. I think thats doing pretty good.

The thing I don't get though is that the Sunset Hygro has been turning pink. This would mean the Nitrates are getting low or they are changing color due to the second light?

Most of the plants in the tank seem to be growing pretty well. The only plant that that isn't doing well is thet Wisteria on the far left side away from filter intake and output. It hasn't grown in quite some time.

Any ideas?

I am also starting to get some BBA on some of the slower growers like the Java Fern and Anubias. Another algae issue is the pop up of some really dark hair algea.

I just cleaned my Canister out before the water change hoping that, that might help along with a heavy dose of excel.

Any thoughts on this one too?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2007 16:45Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Well its been a while since I have updated things.

I haven't change anything with the ferts.

I did up the CO2 and move the out flow of the filter down a bit to try and blow the CO2 bubbles to the far end of the tank.

The wisteria still isn't doing any thing and I am thinking that it might have to go.

I have noticed that the 4-CL has reaslly started to take off. It is almost starting to become invasive as it is growing through my riccia rocks!

The glosso is finally sending out its first sets of runners as is the hair grass. Right now the glosso looks much like Theresa_M 's 2.5G. I am guessing that is was grown emersed.

I picked up a new plant I picked up last week, purple cabomba. At first I really didn't like how it looked but it has really grown on me.

At this weeks water change I am going to turn off the flilter for a bit and do an Excel or Hydrogen Peroxide treatment. I still need to do a bit of research on the later though.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2007 17:55Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by Wingsdlc
Being that things got ice around here I don't have school today!

My game plan is to remove as much of the BBA as I can this afternoon. Tomorrow night I will do my water change and hit what I can't remove with excel. I am also thinking of getting some SAE's. We got a bunch of them at work the other day. So far they look good.

Edit: Looky what I gots!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2007 17:37Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
EditedEdited by slickrb
The wisteria still isn't doing any thing and I am thinking that it might have to go.

Wings,

I wonder if the gravel has anything to do with it. I have two tanks with wisteria and the ADA tank it grows like crazy and the pea gravel it just kind hangs on to life but doesn't grow. Maybe it is a root feeder and likes a nutrient substrate.

Good luck with you BBA battle.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2007 17:45Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I wonder if the gravel has anything to do with it.
The thing is I used to have wisteria growing out of my ears! See photo
It still grows well on the far right side of the tank, which happens to be the side where the filter in and out is along with the CO2. My guess is that it has something to do with flow and maybe lack of CO2 getting to that side of the tank. None the less its is quite weird!

Good luck with you BBA battle.
Thanks! The trim job went well this afternoon. On the down side I found quite a bit more BBA than I thought I had in the tank but I think I got a good amount of it out.

Tomorrow I am going to do a major water change, kill the filter for a few minutes, and spot treat the areas that were extra nasty with Excel. I might pick up some SAE's too. I am not sure if I will or not yet though.

On the upside I found that the Anubias Nana in the tank is getting huge and I have quite a few young Cherry Red shrimp in the tank. Some of which are quite red for as young as they are. Why aren't they eating the BBA and Hair algae????

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2007 21:29Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Wow things have been really dead around here! LF hasn't even stopped into FP for about 20 days and tetra tech looks but doesn't post anything!

Here is just a little quick update on my tank.

I found out that you should not let riccia grow over about four inches above the rock its on or it will start to break off.

The Excel treatments have seemed to kill off most of the BBA in the tank. I did two heave treatments last week and this week the BBA turned light grey/white and was easy to pull off.

The 4-LC has been just exploding in the tank. I likes to crawl though my riccia stones and pop out leaves. Most of the leaves are single at this point but a few are coming out as 2's or 3's. Some of the singles are about 1/2 an inch wide. I am not so sure I really like the looks of this plant right now but I will give it more time to fill in.

Hair grass is starting to spread.

Half the glosso has rotted on me but I have a could of runners. Maybe it will be enough to take off for me.

The Purple Cabomba is getting orange tops which looks pretty but doesn't quite fit with the rest of the tank.

Some day I might get you all some picturs... well if there is anyone left to look at them!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2007 03:51Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
You aren't kidding about it being dead around here. I hope Ingo is doing OK and Tetra really should pop in and let us know how things are going (Hint Hint )

Anyway, Things sound like they are going well. I'd love to see how that 4LC is spreading. So post some pictures already!

Rick
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2007 05:05Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
Looking forward to pics, Wings.

Nice to hear the Excel treatment has worked for you with the BBA. In my 4G is was a disaster, and I'm going to have to tear down and start again with that one. It melted the Blyxa. I'm going to post an update to that log soon just so you can all see how bad it is, maybe it'll add some life to the forum

Anyway, would like to see some pics, if you get the time

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2007 16:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2007 06:10Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
The tank is looking very good, Wings. I appears that all is filling in nicely.

Are you planning on allowing the glosso to fill in the area to the right of the tank?

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2007 06:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
The front plant is actualy 4-Leaf Cover. I do have on runner of glosso mixed in there but the 4LC is over running it. It is running though the wisteria on the right and up the back wall of the tank!

I think I am going to pull the Wisteria and let it fill in the right side of the tank.

here is a picture from the last photoshoot to show growth

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2007 13:45Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

I admit I haven't been reading this thread. I just watch for the pics..

But I noticed & like the odd looking plant in the middle, off centered to the left. Looks like an octopus.
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2007 17:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Lookin' real nice there wings

I really like the aponogeton or crypt...I'm not sure which, I should've taken more time to look at it.

I have to say the bacopa looks a little out of place though.

Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2007 22:26Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Looking very nice Wings

Hey, how is the maintenance on the tank? Seems like you have a few plants in there that would require rather frequent trimming.

Overall, it is very very green, maybe adding a little more red/brown would create some variety. Even a brown Wendtii would do.

On the good end, all looks healthy and lush, keep it up,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2007 15:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Wings,

Looking much better Wings and the pics are much better as well. I think you really need some strategically placed hardscape unless you want to go Dutch

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2007 18:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I really like the aponogeton or crypt...I'm not sure which, I should've taken more time to look at it
Its a crypt, not sure what kind but its a crypt. The plant has really grown on me.

Hey, how is the maintenance on the tank? Seems like you have a few plants in there that would require rather frequent trimming.
The riccia is probably the worst one in the tank. If you don't trim it gets way too tall and starts to die on the under side. At the last trim time I think I had some that was about 5 inches thick. The pearl grass is pretty easy but the 4-LC is starting to be a pain in the butt! It has made it throght the left group of wisteria and is now crawling up and across the back of the tank glass.

I might pull the wisteria on the left anyways and let it fill in with 4-LC.

Looking much better Wings and the pics are much better as well
Thanks! Things are starting to fall into place a bit. It was my first time using this camera too. I have quite a few pictures to share when I get to cropping them and such.

The hard scape would probaly stick out more if it wasn't covered in Java moss.....I only put it on a couple of the sticks.... the rest planted itself!

Thanks all for stopping in!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2007 03:56Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
The hard scape would probaly stick out more if it wasn't covered in Java moss

That's pretty much the reason why I removed the mosses from all my tanks. As one is inclined to attach it to the hardscape one will have to remove the pieces when a trimming is in order to avoid having moss all over the tank.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2007 13:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Wings

It's looking really nice and it's good to see you with pictures again. Do you have a new camera now?

I agree with LF about the moss - too hard to trim if you attach it to larger or hard to remove hardscape. Is your riccia attached to something small enough to remove for trimming - if not, how do you manage it without making a mess in the tank.

Anyway, I don't have any advice to offer, other than to comment it looks very nice & healthy in there. Good job.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2007 14:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I brought home the classroom cammera from my student teaching so I could fix up so kid pictures. I figgured while I had it I should get some shots of my tank.

Overall, it is very very green, maybe adding a little more red/brown would create some variety. Even a brown Wendtii would do.
I used to have a brown wendtii but the thing got out of hand! There are actually quite a few different colors in the tank but the pictures don't show it off too well. If you look at the Anubias picture you can see the pink from the Sunset hygro.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2007 12:49Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Here are a few more pictures. Let me know what you think. They are from the same photoshoot.

All questions and comments are more than welcome!

Matty shot from the left
From the lower right
Riccia bubbles! This happens pretty much everyday
Female Cherry Red

Thanks for looking!!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2007 15:24Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by Wingsdlc
I guess I could give you guys a little update on the tank while I am at it. Sorry I don't have pictures to show it.

~ Removed most of the Java Fern on the right. The thing was huge!
~ Removed much of the Java Moss from the DW.
~ Removed the Wisteria from the left and right side of the tank. (The right side I am going to let fill in with hair grass and the left side with 4-LC.)

I think thats it. This caused a large mess in the tank! I need to clean my filter sometime this weekend!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2007 15:29Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

OOOOOOUUUU! A bright red shrimp!

And I don't even like shrimp!

I would be afraid of mashing shrimp if I had them, when I cleaned the tank & moved stuff around............ but not with those in there! Those show up real good!
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2007 17:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I like the look of the tank....expecially when viewed from the matty angle . Nice looking cherry shrimp too, I might be getting my hands on a few of those in trade for some H. micranthemoides.

I also like the new frequency of picture posting....though I'm not one to talk anymore. Nothing good to show you guys.

Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2007 18:30Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
Err Matt?

How about an update on :

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/threads/31414.1.htm?173#

Frank

Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2007 22:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
My fav shot is the one for the left & that cherry shrimp is very nice looking.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2007 22:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Wings,

Nice looking tank and in particular the best shots that you ever shared with us. You really got to get your own good camera, you have talent

I like the Matty Angle the best as well, and of course a close-up of Riccia bubbling is always a winner

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2007 00:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Nice looking tank and in particular the best shots that you ever shared with us. You really got to get your own good camera, you have talent

I like the Matty Angle the best as well, and of course a close-up of Riccia bubbling is always a winner
Wow LF! Thanks a ton! I think that the next big buy is going to be a cammera. The wife would like one too but right now it isn't a great idea to spend the cash.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2007 02:02Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Err Matt?

How about an update on :

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/threads/31414.1.htm?173#

I think I can do that Frank, I should get it up in a few.

Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2007 18:08Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Well nothing too new to report. I have sold some trimming from the tank in the local fish club's auction and also on another web site. With the extra cash coming in from the tank I have some Blyxa japonica coming in a day or two. I also want to get my hands on some Pogostemon helferi.

All for now. I might try and get my hands on a camera this week while I have some time to play.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2007 15:36Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I might try and get my hands on a camera this week while I have some time to play.

Always a good idea, pictures say so much more than words, in particular as your photography skills improve and your camera gets better

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2007 18:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I really need to buy a camara one of these days. Maybe I will have to hunt for one of those too!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2007 18:55Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Well I still don't have my own camera yet but I got my hands on one the other day. So here are some picture!

Full tank
From the right
Center
Blyxa, seems to be doing well so far.
Cherry shirmp 1
Cherry shrimp 2
Bacopa growing out of the tank
Java fern shot my wife took with her film camera, using slide film.

Let me know what you think. A couple of the shots are not the greatest but I thought they were kind of neat. All Coments are more than welcome!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2007 03:34Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Bump! Come and see my new pictures!!!!!!!!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 23-Apr-2007 02:47Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Hey, nice shots...especially your wife's . I don't know how I missed them, sorry. Man I love that ginormous crypt. I think it's a little hard on the overall scape, but it's an incredible specimen. I think the only thing your tank needs is something that that pulls the left and right together to make it look cohesive. Your 4leaf could easily do thatif it ran across the front, or if you expanded your blyxa to the right side as well. But I'm not much of a scaper, I'm sure someone else has better ideas.

Post InfoPosted 23-Apr-2007 03:36Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Hey, nice shots...especially your wife's . I don't know how I missed them, sorry. Man I love that ginormous crypt. I think it's a little hard on the overall scape, but it's an incredible specimen. I think the only thing your tank needs is something that that pulls the left and right together to make it look cohesive. Your 4leaf could easily do thatif it ran across the front, or if you expanded your blyxa to the right side as well. But I'm not much of a scaper, I'm sure someone else has better ideas.
Thanks for the complements and comments. You are thinking just about what I am thinking.

Plans:
~Remove hair grass on the right.
~Remove the vals on the right?
~Add Blyxa to the back right.
~Spread the pearl grass to the right.
~Spread the 4-LC to the right.

I don't know if I will have time for all of this but that's what my thoughts are.

Thanks for stopping in Matty!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 23-Apr-2007 12:49Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Now I know why I didn't see the new pictures earlier, the entry was from the time when I was on vacation. Sorry Wings!

Anyway, some comments:

- The style looks a somewhat like an in-betweener of Amano and Dutch styles.
- The plants look very healthy, in particular your Blyxa is doing so much better than mine.
- What is the reason for the hole in the left area front?
- How much maintenance has to be done on the 4-LC?
- Issues with shading from the really tall plants?
- lastly, last entry is from 4/23 - did you do the things you proposed in that entry?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 04-May-2007 17:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by wingsdlc
- The style looks a somewhat like an in-betweener of Amano and Dutch styles.
Have you seen the http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/photo-album/34228-dutch-east-passage-newadg75gal-open-top.html?highlight=East+DutchDutch East tank? I think that's my all time favorite tank.
- The plants look very healthy, in particular your Blyxa is doing so much better than mine.
So far it seems like it's doing well. It has started to put out branches and a couple have floated off. Also it is changing colors too. Turning reddish brown on the tops.
- What is the reason for the hole in the left area front?
I sold a big patch of it to someone on another forum that I play around on.
- How much maintenance has to be done on the 4-LC?
As this plant becomes thicker it starts to throw out larger leaves. To give it a cleaner look I should go through and trim those off. Another issue is that this plant grows everywhere! I had it growing up the back side of the tank!
- Issues with shading from the really tall plants?
Not that I see.
- lastly, last entry is from 4/23 - did you do the things you proposed in that entry?

~Remove hair grass on the right.

I have removed most of it but I am not 100% ready to remove it from the tank as it is growing well in there and I might want it for the 1.5G if things go bad...
~Remove the vals on the right?
The vals are starting to get kind of thick. I am not sure if I want to get rid of them or not. How do you think they look?
~Add Blyxa to the back right.
I have a couple of stems over there but I am on the look out for some more.
~Spread the pearl grass to the right.
I moved the two riccia rocks on the right over and around the far peice of DW. Then I placed some PG around it much like the center of the tank.
~Spread the 4-LC to the right.
I might do this next week. I am a little lazy. Plus I have been fishing every day this week!

Thanks so much for stopping in LF! Wish I could post more pictures more often but still no camera. Who knows when that's going to change!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 04-May-2007 18:46Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
The vals are starting to get kind of thick. I am not sure if I want to get rid of them or not. How do you think they look?

They look ok, but I find that group (and the Bacopa group) a little out of place as they compete with, rather than compliment, the center group. Makes sense?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 05-May-2007 13:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
They look ok, but I find that group (and the Bacopa group) a little out of place as they compete with, rather than compliment, the center group. Makes sense?
Yeah, I am with you.

So for an overall look you think I should go with a tall center with shorter outer areas?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2007 19:08Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
So for an overall look you think I should go with a tall center with shorter outer areas?

Nah, the center is tall enough, and the outer ones are fine as well.

You could place your left and right competing groups closer to the center to form a union with that group, if shading may not be an issue (but it could).

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 07-May-2007 02:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
You could place your left and right competing groups closer to the center to form a union with that group, if shading may not be an issue (but it could).
You mean move the Vals and Bacopa in more?

With the shading factor. I think the only reason I don't have any issues with this is that I am running 5 1/2 WPG for a few hours a day.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2007 14:04Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
You mean move the Vals and Bacopa in more?

Yes, so that there is one tall group rather than 3. Makes sense?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 07-May-2007 14:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Yeah that makes sence.

What do you think about moving the Bacopa and Vals into the far back corners?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2007 15:22Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Two tall groups in the corners would be nice - if there isn't another in the center. But if you have 3 tall groups I think it will be distracting. I'd choose to put the crypt in one corner and the bacopa and vals in another. We have too many center group dominated tanks I've decided (thanks to me copying LF).

EDIT: spelling

Post InfoPosted 07-May-2007 17:49Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
We have too many center group dominated tanks I've decided (thanks to me copying LF).
Lets see it!!!

If I do anything the Vals and Bacopa are out. I like my Crypt right where its at.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2007 18:11Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I think Matty has not yet seen that the 125G does not have a center anymore

Or does it?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 07-May-2007 19:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I forgot all about that! I should be home free in Matty's world then.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2007 20:23Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
<--------Oblivious

Don't let me stop you from going with the island look....I'm just commenting on recent trends.

Post InfoPosted 10-May-2007 02:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Just a quick update on the tank.

I have started to move some Blyxa over to the right hand side. I am still going to need some more. For this I will have to either buy some or wait for it to grow out.

I am having issues with the Blyxa too. FLOATERS!!! So far I haven't been breaking the stems but the stinking things need some roots!

Coming in the mail today or tomorrow is a couple stems of Downoi. I am not sure how I am going to work them into my set up but I look forward to growing them.

Thats all folks!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 10-May-2007 20:19Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Arrr,

I am very keen on Downoi, I was considering to purchase some. Now I cannot have it as you got it already

On the other hand - the fact that tetratech is the tamer of Wisteria didn't stop me from having it in his style in 3 tanks

About the Blyxa: It was suggested to me to place one of these plant weights (lead, but not really) upright in the lower part of the plant, just to hold it down to the groud long enough until the plant develops sufficient roots. Of course I didn't do that as I had over 30 stems in there.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 10-May-2007 21:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by wingsdlc
Arrr,
Who is that? I go by Wings or Doug thanks!

I am very keen on Downoi, I was considering to purchase some. Now I cannot have it as you got it already

On the other hand - the fact that tetratech is the tamer of Wisteria didn't stop me from having it in his style in 3 tanks
Funny story about the Downoi. It seems the guy I bought it from took my shipping address from my paypal account instead of the one I gave him. The plants ended up at my parents house on Thurs. or Fri. When I called my mom last night for Mothers Day she told me I had a package. Therefore the plants sat in the box for a few days. I had her open the box up to see if it was my plants. All checked out to be fine but I need to figure out when I can get up there and get my plants....

The Downoi are now sitting in a glass of fish tank water in a south window. Think they will be ok?

About the Blyxa: It was suggested to me to place one of these plant weights (lead, but not really) upright in the lower part of the plant, just to hold it down to the groud long enough until the plant develops sufficient roots. Of course I didn't do that as I had over 30 stems in there.
Being I work at a LFS. I can get my hands on enough weights to sink a small ship. If I keep having problems I might try your method. Thanks for the info!

EDIT: Is it just my computer or does the forum have spell check now like word?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 14-May-2007 14:27Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Wings, with "Arrr" I meant to express that I am jealous

I have no idea if the downoi will be fine at the window, maybe a shadier place would be better, ?

Whera ist thet spl sheck?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 14-May-2007 15:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Wings, with "Arrr" I meant to express that I am jealous
I know, I was just kidding.

I have no idea if the downoi will be fine at the window, maybe a shadier place would be better, ?
It is not a direct light window.

Whera ist thet spl sheck?
Must just be me as I can see it doesn't work with your computer. All your words have red lines under them.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2007 14:01Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Wings,

Nah - no red lines here. I wonder what fancy setup you are having over there. What browser do you use, IE7, Firefox?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 15-May-2007 14:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Firefox. I just did a bunch of updates so it might have came with that. Pretty nice to have the spell check here. Though it doesn't work in the other forum I use.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2007 17:09Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
Wings , Hi , love the tank . Just starting out and have been reading Ingo's logs .Love your contributions and am just starting on you log now . Will probably bother you with some dumb questions , hope you don't mind
Garry
Post InfoPosted 17-May-2007 12:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Countryfish,

First of all, welcome to the site. It should be a great help to you. I know it has been to me through the process of learning how to do this planted tank stuff. As your wife has already pointed out to you. It is a very addicting hobby.

Feel free to ask any questions you like. Most of us don't mind a little thread hijacking. Frank will always let you know if you cross the line so don't worry too much about it!

You can also make you of Private Messages to let us know you have a thread with a question if you don't get any responders.

Thanks for stopping in. Someday I might even take a few picture of the tank again.... if I can ever get my hands on a camera!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 17-May-2007 15:16Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Thanks Wings , look forward to many interesting discussions .
Garry
Post InfoPosted 17-May-2007 17:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Well I sort of got my hands on the Downoi. It's at my house floating in my tank but I am in Asheville, NC for a couple of days. Maybe I will get a job....

Too bad I am here tell you about my plants that I haven't seen yet instead of spending time with my wife of one year (today! ). Don't worry we spent some time together yesterday before I had to leave.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 21-May-2007 03:18Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Too bad I am here tell you about my plants that I haven't seen yet instead of spending time with my wife of one year (today! ).
Congrats on the aniversary hope you will be getting home soon for both the wife and the plants
Garry
Post InfoPosted 21-May-2007 14:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
Kudos: 215
Votes: 36
male finland
Congratulations on the one year Wings, I hope you had a fine evening together.
Post InfoPosted 21-May-2007 16:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Thanks for the good wishes Dr. and Garry. We did have a nice night together. I am finally back home from NC. Being on the road and away from my wife for 4 days wasn't overly exciting. I did though, ended up making a couple of good contacts and getting a interview. We will see where this leads me.

My tanks seem to be doing well. All the fish seem to be swimming and healthy. They were getting a little hungry but I fixed that problem this morning.

Water changes are a couple days overdue but I will fix that also later today.

The only a couple of problems with the 40G.
1. Blyxa floaters!! I might have to try LF's weight idea.
2. I can only find one very small Downoi plant. I hope my fish didn't think they were food and scarf them down! I am sure they will come up when I start my water changes a bit later. I hope!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 24-May-2007 15:19Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Wow it has been a long time since I have updated this thing!

The tanks life is coming to an end in the next couple of weeks. I just found out last Thursday that I got my first teaching job in North Carolina.

The game plan for my tanks is to set up my 55G as a low tech planted tank and a high tech 20 long.

Pictures will be coming so you can see how the tank looks now.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2007 03:13Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
So what is going to happen with this tank then as you mention only the 55 and a 20?

BTW, a 20 Long high tech is quite a challenge. I would have to say that you should go for a Iwagubawuba () as any other scape will cause you to spend major maintenance time with the limited height of 12".

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2007 13:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Well right now I have 6 tanks and a moss filled vase set up(40G long, 2-55G, 29G, and 1.5G). Being it is such a long move and we are not sure how much space we will have (I already take up a large part of our house we are in now) I have chosen to cut back the number of tanks.

~40G will probably come with and get stored or go to my parents house.

~One 55G will come with (the nice one). The other will probably go out to the curb where I found it. I will post pictures to explain later.

~29G might end up being my classroom tank.

~1.5 will come with but I am not sure what I will do with it.

Pictures will come in the next couple of days. I want to clean things up a bit before I do a nice photo shoot.

Also I had some issues last night.

Here is a picture to give you an idea.
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/?action=view&current=PH.jpg
With a PH that low I am guessing I had CO up to about 400ppm. I lost at least a couple of shrimp and no fish that I know of. I really don't know what happened...

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2007 14:12Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I lost at least a couple of shrimp and no fish that I know of. I really don't know what happened...

Sorry to hear that, could it be that your bottle goes on empty and blew out the rest? I think that was what happened in my 40G a while back.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2007 17:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2007 18:26Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Looks clearly like a blowout to me, your high pressure gauge is all empty.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2007 18:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
The regulators are a two stage. They depend on
there being gas in cylinder to offset the spring and
diaphram in the regulator case. When the gas ran out in
the cylinder, there was no opposing pressure and the
gas quickly exited through the output line and into the
tank. Had you been there to observe it it would have looked
like an airstone running full blast till the last of the
gas was exhausted.

That huge blast of CO2 drops the pH like a rock, and the
fish wind up at the surface gasping and in great distress.

I check my cylinder, looking at the high pressure side at
least once a week. At two bubbles per second injection,
I know that I can pretty much not worry about it till the
5th or 6th month of operation on that cylinder (5 pounds).
Once the gage starts to drop, I generally have about
2-3 weeks before the tank is completely empty.

I never let my cylinders go completely empty. I always keep
a pound or two (positive pressure) in the tank.
This prevents internal corrosion of the tank.

Frank

Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2007 21:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Well when I got home last night. The CO2 was coming out pretty quick but not really much more than normal. I did clean the GD out a week or two ago. Could that have caused the extra CO2. Or could it have been that my needle vale could have moved some how?

Thanks for the info Frank.

My cylinders have been running out much quicker than 5-6 months. I wonder if something is wrong with it. I know I have been running it higher but it has been 3-4 months at most since I refilled it. I don't know...

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2007 23:28Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by wingsdlc
Well being that all my tanks are coming down in the next couple of weeks here are some pictures of things you have not seen yet.

1.5G with Hair Grass grown with Sun light. This tank was doing pretty well until it got really hot. I had a little bit of a melt down and lost the Cherry Shrimp I had in there. The plants were also doing better at that point too.

[link=29G that is basically a plant grow out tank. I was also going to try and breed BN plecos in there.] http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/29G.jpg[/link] Most of the plants in this tank are things that I wanted to keep around but not use in the 40G.

55G: this tank houses my Convicts. I have had the male for about 5 years.

Shot of the 40G. This is of the center of the tank.

Of the right side

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2007 23:38Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
So is the 1.5g a Natural Nano Iwagumi

The 55 looks like an earthquake struck a highway and it eventually got submerged and the convicts took over.
Wings, don't take this the wrong way, but I'm into scaped tanks and this one really isn't so I can't really comment much.

The 40g looks great, nice growth, but I expect nothing less from the Co2 extremist.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2007 01:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Wings , Congrats on the new job , hope you like North Carolina sounds like a very historical preety place to us Aussies .
Love the shots of the 40g , thats some jungle you've got going there .

Good luck with the move , hope it all goes well .

When do you start? How far away is it ? Is it a big town ?
So many questions ,
I'm sure its an exciting time for you and the wife .

Again good luck mate .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2007 02:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by wingsdlc
The 55 looks like an earthquake struck a highway and it eventually got submerged and the convicts took over.
Wings, don't take this the wrong way, but I'm into scaped tanks and this one really isn't so I can't really comment much.
I know there really isn't much to say about this one. I plan on setting this tank up similar to what it is now but use more plants and more light. Right now this tank is run on 30Ws which is only about .5 WPG. I plan to up this to about 130Ws and use tons of Anubias, Ferns and Crypts.

So is the 1.5g a Natural Nano Iwagumi
That was the game plan. It was working out pretty well until it got so hot a while back. The sun came through the window and about boiled the water. After that I had a snail explosion and haven't really had much time to play with it. When I head south I will probably try and set this tank up again and use my 19W Coralife.

When do you start? How far away is it ? Is it a big town ?
I have to be down there Aug. 14.

Lincolnton, NC population is about 10,000 compared to 72,000 of Kalamazoo, MI. I am looking forward to living in a smaller town.

More pictures to come later today after my water change and trim.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2007 13:07Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Wings,

In order of appearance:

- 1.5 looks like Arizona with a snail problem
- 29 is nice, a little short on hardscape though
- 55 is clean, I would do a tank like this very different though, like either with rocks piling up on either side or a row rising on the left side and falling on the right
- The 40 is the one that is so well planted and in such a good shape that it is a shame that this one should not be put up again

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2007 14:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
LF,

Thanks for the comments. I think you hit the nail on the head.

I am kind of thinking of having the 55 take the place of the 40 but I am not sure yet. Time will tell....

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2007 19:13Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Well I know everyone likes pictures so here are a few more. This time they are of the 40G.

Full tank before the trim. This was taken the night I had the CO2 issue.
The 4-LC has gone nuts in this tank. It pretty much grows everywhere at this point. Almost as invasive as the java moss.

[link=After the water change and trim.] http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/40%20gallon%20part%20XIX/lower.left.jpg[/link]
Same thing from the right side.

Will snap a few more when the batteries are ready to go.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2007 19:19Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Hey Wings,

Did you have the Prime bottle open when you took these pictures?

Sure some very interesting angles there, but hardly qualify as a comparison of before and after.

Interesting fact about the 4LC, always good to know what species to watch out for

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2007 19:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
Hey Wings, sorry to be a space cadet about this, but I don't recall - did you java fern start out around that size, or did it grow over time into those giant masses. They're great looking, but I just want to get an idea of your starting point.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2007 19:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Did you have the Prime bottle open when you took these pictures?
Are you talking about the not so clear water? It was less than 1/2 hour after the water change.

Sure some very interesting angles there, but hardly qualify as a comparison of before and after.
More shots to come when the water clears and the batteries are charged.

Interesting fact about the 4LC, always good to know what species to watch out for
It really isn't too bad but you need to keep it in check. It will grow through just about anything.

This is for you Nowher. It started out pretty small.

What I find more interesting is the leave shapes that its putting out. Look like forks. Do you guys get that some times?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2007 21:12Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
More pictures!

From the right

From the left

Another from the right

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2007 16:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
More pictures!

What's with all the pics all of a sudden. Now that you have a teaching job (congrats!)did you buy a new fancy camera?

Anway, tank looks great. For this setup with a wild center and great growth, I would ideally like to see a tigher, lower, single species foreground.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2007 17:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
What's with all the pics all of a sudden. Now that you have a teaching job (congrats!)did you buy a new fancy camera?
Nope just took my brothers so I could get some pictures of the tank before it comes down this weekend or early next week.

I would ideally like to see a tighter, lower, single species foreground.
I know its not super clean. Never will be. I think if I could grow it I would like glosso as instead of 4-LC. Maybe things in NC will work better.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2007 18:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by tankwatcher
Hi Wings, this is belated, but HAPPY ANNIVERSARY. I can't believe it is more than 12 months since we were talking about your upcoming wedding. Congratulations on the new job too.

Loved looking at all your pictures. Shame the tanks have to shut down & you can't have them all at your new home.

Look forward to seeing your new setups, once you've settled in your new home.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 22-Jul-2007 15:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
TW,

Thanks for all the kind words!

Shame the tanks have to shut down & you can't have them all at your new home.
It's more about moving space. We are going to try and move using two cars and a 5 foot x 8 foot trailer. This move thing is starting to get a little stressful.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 22-Jul-2007 20:18Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2007 15:58Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Here is a picture of my Java Fern. Does anyone else get growth like this? I am guessing I get it due to high light and CO2. Just my guess...

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/fern/?action=view&current=trileaf2.jpg
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/fern/?action=view&current=trileaf1.jpg

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2007 17:19Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
wow, I always though anubias were slow growers. How long did it take to get to the end result?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2007 11:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
TW,

About two years. Maybe 1.5 yrs.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2007 13:52Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Well the tank is now drained, washed out and upside down on my back deck. It is a little sad.... but this just means I can try other things now.

This is the tank after 99% of the plant mass has been pulled out.

I was trying to clear up the water a little bit so I could catch what was left of my cherry shrimp.
Cherries in the 1.5G
A little bit of a closer shot

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2007 19:41Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Wings, Sad indeed , but think about the possibilities
I always think that setting up is one of the best parts of the hobby .
BTW , how many shrimp have you got !!!!?
Good luck with the move , hope it all goes well .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2007 09:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
BTW , how many shrimp have you got !!!!?
Way more than I thought I had in there! I am pretty sure I didn't get them all either... poor guys....

I had about 3-4 Amano shrimp in there the first night. Yesterday morning there weren't any to be found in the tank. I am guessing they tried to make a run for it.

Right now we are in stage I of the move. In this stage we are packing our junk and moving across the street for a couple of weeks (our stuff in one house and us in another...). Once my wife is done working we are packing our stuff up in our cars and heading to North Carolina.

Thanks for the good wishes!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2007 13:49Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Ugh....I hate moving. This is the first time in 5 years I'm not moving. I feel for ya. One year I had 7 tanks to move. After that I smartened up a little. I never did lose any fish or anything due to moving thankfully, but it was still tough.

Good luck to ya. Nice lot of cherry shrimp BTW.

Also I have seen growth like that on java fern. It's actually a cultivated variety. Yours seems to have both normal and tri-lobed growth, which is odd.

Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2007 15:55Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Also I have seen growth like that on java fern. It's actually a cultivated variety. Yours seems to have both normal and tri-lobed growth, which is odd.
The tri-lobe growth is something that is kind of new. It started doing it in the past 5-6 months.

This time around I am cutting my tanks down to three. 55G, 20G long, and a 1.5G. I did have 2-55G's, 40G, 29, and 1.5G set up. Being I am moving 12 hours away I figured I should down grade.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2007 16:22Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Wings , Saw you comment on one of Ingo's logs , are you all unpacked in your new home .... Started setting up the tanks yet ???

Garry
Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2007 12:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by wingsdlc
Yep, we made it! The trip down here was a bit crazy but all worked out well. It seemed that if it could have gone wrong, it did. I can explain more later if you really want.

As far as tanks go. I have a 20G long set up bare bottom for fish/plants storage. Most of the plants have been taken out and planted but a few haven't yet.

The tank I am working on first is a 55G. It is mainly going to be planted with anubias, java ferns, cryps, and vals. I will probably plant the foreground with 4-LC. I still don't have a digital camera so I can't quite share pictures of where I am at with the tank so I don't know if I will actually start a log for the tank.

Thanks for checking in!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2007 12:54Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies