Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHow To Tell?!
ku5626
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 61
Votes: 7
male usa
How can i tell if a piece of drift wood is good, and won't decay and go brown in an aquarium??

Thanks!
Ku,
Post InfoPosted 12-Nov-2006 05:36Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
wood that is heavy for its size that you can't easily indent with your fingernail might be a good first test. When you scratch it, the fibers should not flake apart.

Pretty much any wood will leech some tannins into the water. Boiling, lots of soaking, or carbon filtration are ways to limit the browning.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2006 21:45Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
To answer that question fully could fill a page easy. First you would have to have an excellent knowledge of wood technology and where it is grown.

Hardness is a good choice as far as breaking down with age. There is an Aussie wood that would take about 100+ years to break dowm it is a River Red Gum I have several pieces in my tank and it does not release tannins. Yet there could easly be plenty of harder species of wood that will release tannins.
It is a matter of asking and that is exactly what you are doing here on FP. Local knowledge of what you can buy is certainly the best.

As far as boiling to me that is a big NONO as it starts to break down the timber very quickly. A good scrubbing and soaking for up to one month in my opinion is the best way to go.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 14-Nov-2006 01:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies