SubscribeMy new 10 gallon planted aquarium
Fishyandrew45
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 98
Votes: 0
male usa
Hey all,
just gettin back in the hobby, recently started up a 10 gallon planted aquarium. I thought I'd post a few pics and see what you all thought, suggestions are welcome.
Here it is.
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2009 01:16Profile PM Edit Report 
Fishyandrew45
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Oooh, a 200kb max pic size!? hmmm im going to have to figure out how to compress my image(s)
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2009 01:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Fishyandrew45
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Ok now I got it, sorry for the delay, here's the full tank shot, i'll compress the others later.

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2009 01:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Fishyandrew45

Image Resizer for XP
This Power Toy enables you to resize one or many image files with a right-click.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

I am not sure if there is one for Vista.

This program is a MS and it is extremely easy to use.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2009 02:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
Kudos: 63
Votes: 10
female usa
That's a very nice looking tank Fishyandrew.
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2009 05:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Fishyandrew45
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Do you guys have any suggestions for a center piece plant that might look good in my tank? Im fairly new to plants and don't really know whats out there, any suggestions?
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2009 18:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
PhoenixFirewall
Fingerling
On the anvil...
Kudos: 18
male usa us-ohio
If that is a sword in the center like I think it is, it will quickly become large enough to take over the tank, as will your wisteria. they get tall and spread out, but with pruning each will look very good. Also, just an FYI, if that is mondo grass you have planted next to your driftwood on the left, know that it is not a true aquatic plant and will likely not survive longer than a few months if fully submersed. Perhaps some kind of saggitaria or microsword or even hair grass would be a better choice if you can find it. For the most part, I like the look of your setup.
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2009 01:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Fishyandrew45
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Funny thing about those, they were labeled as "mini java ferns" and were sold to me for 0.69 cents a piece at the fish store. I think you're right, they haven't grown much in my tank and I have always suspected something is wrong. They haven't been dying, but certainly haven't been growing. I'll have to find a suitable replacement for those as well.
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2009 02:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
PhoenixFirewall
Fingerling
On the anvil...
Kudos: 18
male usa us-ohio
Most places that sell those have them mis-labeled and those that don't have no clue (usually) about aquatic plants.

I really liked micro swords when I had them in a previous 10g setup. They grew like crazy and will take over if left unchecked.
http://www.theplantguy.org/images/lilaeopsis.jpg
http://www.theplantguy.org/images/image012.jpg
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2009 03:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Do you guys have any suggestions for a center piece plant that might look good in my tank? Im fairly new to plants and don't really know whats out there, any suggestions?

Fishyandrew45

PhoenixFirewall is correct that sword will take over that small tank so fast you will have to wreck the tank to get it out.

If you have a large tank I would put it in that tank.

Center-point is in my opinion used in the wrong text.
It is not the "Center" as such .
The "Centre point" is the point of focus. eg many have one special school or just one fish as a Center point. They dont remain in the center they move around giving you a "Focal Point"
That is some where to start looking and then follow through with a steady flow of sight stopping here and there to take a look at what is there, like a winding mountain road with stopping bays where the best views are

Now what to do and get.
First thing would be return that Sword and get enough tall Crypts to across the back. Two staggered rows would be excellent.
I would move the DW so that the little gap between the two pieces pointing upwards 1/3rd in from the LH end and 2/3rds from the front. This will give you the perfect focal point.
The second rock from the LH end would go where the DW is now. The three small plants could go in front of the DW to soften its appearance.

If you like my ideas try it and then post a full photo.
Even try the basic moves before you buy any more plants.
Which is swap the DW and rock and move the three plants. You will be surprised what a difference it will make when you compare the two photos.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2009 07:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Fishyandrew45
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
I'll give that a try this weekend and post a pic, im pretty busy with school at the moment, but right now, the wisteria has branched off in front of the DW and rock, covering all the ground up to the front of the glass! some pruning is definitely in order.... Thanks for the advice Keith, im going to try moving those rocks and DW as you suggested.

_Andrew
Post InfoPosted 21-Oct-2009 21:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
Tank is looking great, but the mondo grass has got to go!
I like the Microsword idea, so long as you keep them in check with regular trimmings you should have a nice full tank.
if not hair grass or some crypts could act as a good foreground plant.
as for the hardscape you should play around with the rocks and DW to see if you can get a more interesting look, it looks a bit flat to me.

Other than that the tank is looking great, keep it up!
-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2009 10:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Fishyandrew45
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
I've just ordered some rocks covered in flame moss, more specifically 3 rocks about the size of the current ones. I'm going to replace those dull looking flat rocks with these. Im thinking the vibrant light green colors placed in the foreground should add a nice addition to the look of it. I've been playing around with DW and I can't quite settle on a position. The mondo grass is gone, and i've been spreading the Wisteria throughout the background around the sword. I've been pruning both the wisteria and the sword every couple days. I'll post more pics when I get the flame moss.
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2009 05:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
I'm with Brandeeno in the opinion,"It looks flat." My suggestion would be to move the DW kitty cornered (diagonally) to the heater with the sword coming up behind it. Or if you can stand the wood more vertical near said corner. (I get the feeling it has the makings of a great cave/pass thru in the curved areas.) The wisteria can be scattered about with the vals. I would think more so in the back as it looks they can get pretty lenghty. The rocks are fine just clump at least 2, maybe all three in the opposite corner, not in a straight line as you have them now. Particularly the larger of the three and the flattest one should be together. The lighter colored one could serve as a anchor in front of the DW. (similar curves) This way your eye is drawn to the wood and sword collectively as your "spot light area", and back to the rocks as a rumpus area so to speak.

All in all, I like the "bones" you have now. You can just rearrange it a little, to give it more "umph". Without the extra cash.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2009 15:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies