Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe7 Baby Bristlenoses
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
hey guys,my mother in law brought back 7 baby bns,today,1 of her freinds apparantly has a bn pair,witch are just spawning like crazy,so hes trying to get rid of some babys!
both my tanks are full atm,but i threw the 7 in anyway after i floated them,i just opened the bag in front of the large anubais on drift wood,they all went rite down into the complex roots,theres heaps of them.
but as these bns are so small,im %99 sure that my large clownloach will make dinner out if them.atm the moment i cant even see them.
also from what he said to my mother in law,hes just about done with fish keeping,if he is,im going to make him a offer on the bn parents,i will be setting up a 29 gal,with 1 blue araca in there,so i rekon the bns will be ok in there,IF i can get them.
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2009 08:14Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
but as these bns are so small,im %99 sure that my large clownloach will make dinner out if them

If you're 99% sure that they'll finish up as food, then why did you place them in the same tank as the CL?.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2009 22:40Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
Dang i wish I was that lucky to just fall into some BNs like that (you'd be really lucky if you got an ABNs)! Its kinda wasteful to just throw them in a tank where you think they are going to get eaten so why didnt you put them in a net or box breeder or something?

-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2009 00:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
When I bought my Goldy coloured ones they tossed in a few small common grey ones under 2cm and they survived in my tank not a problem it would have been a different matter with the Pictus if I still had them.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2009 02:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
well to e honset it was late and the fish store were closed,so i had no where to put them,i didnt know they were coming!
but it seems as thought its all come together.ive checked this morning,and all 7 are alive and kicking,from what ive been seeingthey are just staying hidden.
ive found a home for 3 of the 7,my neighbour is going take take them today!
but,ive since spoken to the guy who has the bns,and hes going to think about weather he wants to se ll mum and dad bn
he said he will let me know in a few days.
he then said but in the mean time,heres another 38 babies for ya,so i said with this lot,just give me a few days,and ive organix=zed it with my lfs to take them up there for a store credit.
i know it seemed a bit creul to just put the 7 babies in there,but it was really a last minute thing.
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2009 06:59Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
well the 4 bn babies are all doing fine,in the 89gall.
now just as he said i have another 38 in a 8gall underneath my 89,so 10 of these fellas are going into my 29gal at my dads.ill see what im guna do with the rest.
i tryed to get the bn parents out of him,but hes keeping them!
so yeah i have quite a few atm!
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2009 13:12Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
You can keep some & let them pair up & try to breed them you're self.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2009 23:26Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
yeah thats what i was thinking too.
that way ill have my own pair,then i can watch em grow...
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2009 05:54Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Genetically, isn't that bad. Like brother and sister having babies?

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2009 06:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
ive often herd this b4,but from all the years of breeding,and i have a gorgous blue acara pair that are brother and sister,that is a wives tale!
each time i select some babies for a pair,normall %99 of the time they are brother and sister.
you should see the diference of quality in the fish.
the blue araca pair i have in my 89gal,were sourced from 2 diferent locations and they spawned,so i took a pair from there babies.
now them(brother and sister)produce better looking more colourfull babies,that grow 10 times faster too,than there parents ever did....
so yeah me thinks thats a bit of a wives tale.
ive done that with LOADS of fish!
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2009 10:24Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
I get where you're going with that, but still... I know dog and cat breeders do the same thing to get champions. BUT, it dupicates genetic pairing. Good and Bad. Sometimes,... alot of times, we don't see the affect/effect of the negative until much later down the line, i.e. deafness in dalmations, a tendency to hip displacement in only certain breeds, specific cancers in others. I like the concept of breeding specific genetics, but it worries me to think of what the offset will be 50-100 years from now. We could have a real 3 eyed fish breed, like on the "Simpsons". Or a camouflaged shark on "Deep Blue Sea". Joking aside, there's some mad scientist working on something completely innocent and by mistake will create a monster. We'll all have to deal with, whether we can "see" it or not. [Superflu---> Norwalk virus ---> The Blob!]

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2009 18:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
i can also see where you are coming from aswell,but i just dont see it.
i think out the hundreds of fish ive bred,i would have seen or herd by now if it was a major no no!
but point taken!
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2009 05:40Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies