keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Marineland Eclipse System Six

This is the one I would go for the extra Gal and it looks good that does not mean it is good. Other members could help you on that one.

You could start a new topic in Technical Tinkering asking about those three tanks.

The lighting to me could be rather low also it could be just a cheap light to grow good plants.

Anubias would be perfect in that type of lighting any low light plants also non rooted plants will survive better when you have to pull the tank down.
Again ask in the Planted topic about which plants would be best for the tank.

If you were in OZ I could set you up easily with Anubias nana mine grows like weeds.

Small tank can be difficult to aquascape here less is best that does not mean one plant it means only 2-3 varieties of plants.
Next Fish have you thought about that?

What I like is that you have started the correct way by doing the research first.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2008 08:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 200
female usa
Well when I bought my first aquarium 5 years ago I got pink, blue and green gravel and all fake stuff. Within the last 2 months I have planted it and added driftwood. The year before that I redid the gravel with natural looking stuff. I wish that I had found this site before that and had started off more natural. Won't make that mistake again.

I have not put much thought into fish yet. I know a betta would work or I have always liked the idea of doing a few female bettas together. Maybe something other than just one betta though.

Does anyone have more fish suggestions?

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2008 17:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
OK I started a new topic in Tech Tinkering called Best Dorm Tank? and one in Planted Aquaria called Planting a Dorm Tank.

In Planting a Dorm Tank there are posts on lights and stuff I have found.

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2008 18:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
What about a Dwarf Puffer for a 5/6 gallon tank? Would that work?

That is if I can find them sold close by.

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2008 04:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 3
EditedEdited by krash7172
Start with something like 5 white clouds
Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2008 08:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
To cycle the tank? Or because Dwarf Puffers are harder?

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2008 17:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Many people do not like a solitary fish in a tank as
it just has "no action."

Here is a site you should read before making any
decision:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/66050/5_things_you_should_know_before_buying.html

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 06-Sep-2008 00:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
Wouldnt rounded pebble gravel work too? I saw a picture of a Dwarf Puffer and the tank didnt have sand in it.

I was only planning on keeping one in a 5 gallon tank by himself.

To move the Puffer couldnt I simply scoop him up into a cup or something to keep him submerged in water?

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 07-Sep-2008 23:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
EditedEdited by bettachris
what school are you at? i myself started at the university of tampa about 3 weeks ago and i bought a oceanic biocube 14 gallon with me.

currently i have my pair of true perculas in it.

i would love to hear about your dorm tank. here at UT we are only allowed 10 gallons so

heres the vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iArlWYKHWjI
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2008 07:50Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Gaia
----------
Fingerling
Kudos: 25
Votes: 30
belgium
Because the tank is so small and especially because you will have to move it often, I wouldn't go for fish.
I would keep some freshwater shrimp, anything but not the giant ones. You have plenty of choices.
As for the plants, I would go for the ones that don't really need thick or fertilised gravel. Maybe some dwarf anubias, some java ferns and moss on tiny mopani woods, and just enough gravel to cover the bottom.
i still think 2,5 g is way too small, maybe try a 5 g.
You have to think at something very important: every time you will move the tank, you will have to re-start the cycle. It would be good if you would have where to house its inhabitants everytime when it is cycling again.
Post InfoPosted 15-Sep-2008 11:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
bettachris:
I am at Colorado State University. We can have a tank up to 25 gallons, but I think anything over 10 would be crazy.
Just tell them it looks bigger than it really is if anyone asks if it is over 10 gallons.
As soon as I ever set this tank up I will let you know about it.

Gaia:
I am planning on getting a 5 or 6 gallon tank so dont worry. What are tiny mopani woods?

Would I be able to keep dwarf gouramis in a 5 or 6 gallon tank?
Any suggestions for a themed tank?

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2008 18:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
Mopani wood is an african tree root. Tiny = small pieces of it Keep in mind that it can discolor the tank water but it is very cool. I habe 20 lbs of it in my 75.

I agree with minimal gravel too. A tank that small has to be easily cleaned. I still suggest the Eclipse with bio wheel and no UGF. You will *NOT* have to cycle the tank if you keep the biowheel "alive" when you move. As I stated previously, I moved my 29 and 75 and did not experience a cycle because I kept the biowheels in tank water during my move.
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2008 18:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
Well the drive to my house from campus is 2 hours at the most. So I think it would be easy to keep the biowheel alive.

I think now I will maybe set up a tank durin 2nd semester if I am still going to go thru with this idea. I never got around to it this semester.

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2008 18:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
Beacuse of this thread I searched for small Eclipse tanks. I ended up buying one! I think it is 3.5 gallon.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/eclipse1.html

The picture makes me laugh. It shows a dozen fantails in this tank.
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2008 20:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
KimKim08
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
female usa
I have the eclipse system 6 gallon and I love it. Super easy to take care of. You made a good choice
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2008 04:55Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
eclipses are great!

if i had the money i woud sswitch all my smaller tanks!

have you considered endlers for your tank? they are small, breed, and you can keep a trio of them with maybe a betta to eat the fry. or you could get just males?

check out some of the threads on endlers at :www.endlersr.us there are some amazing strains and some memebers there can sell and help you out!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2008 23:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
What about this tank?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+15494&pcatid=15494

If I were to do this what could I keep in it? Would keeping 3 female bettas work or not?

If not what else would work in the Eclipse 6 for fish?

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2008 02:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
That's crazy looking

I just have a male beta in mine. He's very happy.
Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2008 02:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
3 female bettas in three gallons is looking for a fight. i would think them to be too cramped and would quarrel. plus the eclipse is enclosed with a lid and such so that you ghet less evaporation and its super easy to clean/maintain and you get three more gallons for about the same price.

you could probably keep ;like 6 ember tetras (small tetra)... if you have enough live plants and etc (kept in window for this purpose possibly) you could have a plethora of fish (might not be very stable though). My aunt had an eclipse six with 4 platies, two black widdow teras, some rmshorn snails, and some random cheap live plants (your everyday hairgrass/dwarf chainsword/small crypt).

what i would reccomend is that you get a trio of mixed sex endlers or 6 males.they come in many varieties and color schemes. google swamp river aquatics, its a hobbyist who specializes in endlers and breed his own strains and sells them got some amazing looking fish in there and very hardy to. if you get mixed sex you raise the fry and trade them at an LFS for food or filter media maybe? or invest in a bigger tank for the future.

if it was me heres how i would stock it:
usse a fertalizer substrate, plant heavily with hairgrass and crypts (theese need less maintenace) let the plants grow in and maybe use some feeder guppies to cycle the tank.
after a few weeks i would go down to the LFS and give or trade back the survivng guppies (many will die due to bad conditions and bad genes). I would get three khuli loaches and 3 fancy strain endlers although i am partial to both of those types of fish

look up some small species of fish that interest you and report back to us what you like, we can help you pick something that fits your maintence and tank critereia.

Look on aquabid too, someone might have an old tank for sale or some fish/plants/deco/substarte that might strike your fancy...

Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2008 07:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
Well like mentioned before, I was looking into doing a Dwarf Puffer, but I dont think I would be able to find one near me.

Otherwise I would probably like to do a group of female bettas with maybe a ADF instead of just a male betta.

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 04-Nov-2008 00:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
the only problem is sometimes female bettas quarrel and osmetimes you end up with a male that looks lke a female, so thats a bit riskier. a dwarf puffer would be nice, although they require live foods (blood worms and snails) if oyu have good access then thats the way i would go, you can always order a fish or have you parents get you one and ship it over (or if close enough drive it over). have a look at the LFS and --dare i say it-- walmart. my local walmart has dwarf puffers in stock, always.

have you decided on a tank yet? the 3 gallon would be too small for a puffer.

Post InfoPosted 04-Nov-2008 02:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
If you get female bettas, try and get 3 spawn siblings or find the more submissive/middle of the road ones in the tank at the LFS. Be prepared for about 3 weeks of squabbling and be ready to separate them if one starts biting at eyes or bodies (fins are fair game for the first few weeks)

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 04-Nov-2008 05:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
If I were to buy a DP online what site would you guys recommend? Otherwise, I guess I will start looking around and hopefully get this tank or at least A tank set up after Xmas Break.

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 05-Nov-2008 20:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
Try and get a dwarf corydora or something small like that in there. My experience with dorm tanks (nanos--and I've had many in college) are that substrate management is important for keeping everything happy.

Oh yeah, get a trickle filter to prevent lipid slicks on the surface of the water.

Also, if you're having a mixer at your place, make sure the blazers don't empty a can of beer into your tanks to "see if fish get drunk". That got old real fast.
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2008 16:37Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
By DP I meant Dwarf Puffer by the way.

What is the best site to order fish online?

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 18-Nov-2008 01:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
i t hink what cup if life noodles meant was that you will want tome fish to keep the substrate clean... his suggestion was a dwarf corydoras... it is a good idea to keep something to keep the substrate clean unless you have time for frequent WC

Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2008 01:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
OK that makes sense. A Dwarf Puffer or bettas would leave them alone tho?

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 22-Nov-2008 00:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
depends on the specific botom feeder. If you get a betta then for sure the bottom feeder will be fine, but a DP would be questionable because they have varying temperments (much more drastic than a betta). so if you go a puffer make sure there are lots of hiding places and get a nocturnal scavenger to clean the bottom if you go a betta almost any door is open except for eith NO PLECOS (unless you get a dwarf pleco which stay relatively small, my cousin got one about a year ago and it is still like 2 inches long...)

Post InfoPosted 30-Nov-2008 03:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
So I didnt get around to doing anything last semester but I have now narrowed it down to these two:

http://www.petco.com/product/104565/All-Glass-Aquarium-5-Gallon-Aquarium-Kit.aspx

http://www.petco.com/product/13809/Marineland-Eclipse-Corner-5-Aquarium-Kit.aspx

Size wise I love both of them, but I am not so sure I like the shape of the corner one. Are there any similar to these that I may have missed?

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2009 17:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
You can get non-corner eclipse tanks in 3 or 6 gallon sizes. I have a 3.

http://www.aquatichouse.com/tanks_files/eclipsesystem.asp
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2009 19:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
Ok, it's down between the All-Glass 5 gallon or the Marineland 6 gallon one now.

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2009 02:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
all glass is probably cheaper but marineland will be better...

the allglass kits uaually come with tetra filters which are good but not up to par with penguin/marineland.

plus nothing can compare to the easy of the maintenece and look of the marineland...

just my thoughts!
although the monetarily starved college student might find it better to buy a 10g kit at walmart for about the same price!

Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2009 03:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
fyi - a dwarf puffer will destroy a betta.
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2009 03:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
I never said anything about keeping a betta with a dwarf puffer.

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2009 06:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
For a 5 gallon tank what fish could I get?

Obviously I could do a Betta. I would like to get a Dwarf Puffer but I dont think I will be able to find one.

What about a pair of Dwarf Gouramis? Or is that pushing it?

Are there any small freshwater cichlids that I could get as a pair by any chance? I highly doubt it but thought I would ask.

Any other ideas?

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2009 01:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
you could try like two shellies or possibly a pair of small kribs/apisto if you kept up on the maintenece...

if you got an eclipse you could even drop over to the dark side and do a little marine tank with a small percula(sp?) clown and some live rock and sand.

you couldnt do a pair of gourami, too much.

maybe try to get 3 khuli loaches and a single dwarf gourami...

you could do a shrimp tank too if you wanted but that could be a pricier investment, like 30 shrimp to start along with maybe like a couple small rainbow fish (you'll have to do some research to see, but i remember seeing some tiny ones a while back...)

-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2009 08:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
EditedEdited by kj fishy-finn
I have narrowed it down to these options:
1 Male Betta with ?
3 Female Bettas with ?
Ember tetras
Neon tetras
Cherry barbs (pair?)
White clouds (how many?)
1 Dwarf Gourami with ?
Ottos go with some of these?
Dwarf Puffer with snails/otto (if I can find a puffer that is)

Which of these species would make it thru cycling a tank also?

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2009 20:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Just a comment, When I had Cherry Barbs, and later
White Cloud Mountain Tetras, I had a school of them
in a 30G tank. Mine were much like Zebra Dainos,
non stop energy from dawn till dark. To me, placing
even a small school in that tank would be much like
placing them in a cell. There simply is not much
swimming room.

I would go with something small, colorful, and while
active, not near as active as the others.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2009 20:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
One thing I have noticed is that the temp can swing quite a bit with these small tanks when the light isn't on at night. You may need a heater. My friend has 3 longfin danios and a snail in his Eclipse 6. Constant activity and they can tolerate the cooler water.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2009 23:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
EditedEdited by kj fishy-finn
Besides 3 kuhli loaches what else could I do with a dwarf gourami if I were to go that path?

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2009 18:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies