L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeDorm Tank
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 200
female usa
I just started college and I would like to have an aquarium in my dorm.

I was going to bring my 20G up but decided against that even though that was like my dream. So now I have decided to start a small tank like 2.5 to 5 gallons.

Any suggestions on a easy to maintain tank I could purchase?

I was also wondering what kind of fish would be suited to live in a small aquarium like that? I thought about a betta or female bettas but I would maybe like to try something different. What about a goldfish?

In my 20G I have some Egeria densa, Ludwigia repens, Vallisneria americana, Echinodorus quadricostatus and Cryptocoryne becketti. Would I be able to propagate any of this for my smaller tank? Would the lighting be sufficient enough?

I was thinking maybe I could use a 2.5 gallon tank I have, but I have always had my eye on 5G Mini-Bow aquarium.

Any other ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2008 23:58Profile PM Edit Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
A goldfish is definately out of the question, and unfortunately there aren't alot of options in a small tank. I would go a betta.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 30-Aug-2008 00:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
For a 5gal a group of ember tetras and lots of green plants would look nice.

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 30-Aug-2008 00:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Is the 5gal a complete unit light, filter etc. If so I would suggest low light plants and a M Betta possibly the easy way as far as looking after a small tank.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 30-Aug-2008 04:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
With such a tiny tank the options are really limited. I'd have to suggest at least a five gallon tank and a very healthy maintenance regimen containing perhaps a betta or evena few tetras.
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2008 13:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Here is a site that might inspire you:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2006.cgi?&op=showcase&category=0&vol=0

Keep in mind that many college dorms will not allow
you to keep larger tanks nor will they allow you to
keep it there over the summer. Meaning that it should
be a portable, managable size that is easily carried
out of the dorm and home for the summers and possibly
even spring break.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2008 17:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
EditedEdited by kj fishy-finn
I agree on a tank that is bigger like 5 gallons.

I found this:
http://www.petco.com/product/100510/Baby-biOrb-Aquarium-Kits.aspx

Does anyone have any experience with these? Would this be hard to access and care for?

http://www.petco.com/product/12788/Marineland-Eclipse-Hex-5-Fully-Integrated-Aquarium-Kit.aspx

Does anyone know if the hood comes off in this one?

http://www.petco.com/product/104565/All-Glass-Aquarium-5-Gallon-Aquarium-Kit.aspx

I really like this one. Does the hood come off in this one?

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?FamilyID=100511&cm_sp=certona-_-3-_-100511

What about this one?

http://www.petco.com/product/100504/biOrb-Silver-Aquarium-Kit-with-Light.aspx

I would maybe even try this larger one of one listed before. Does anyone know the dimensions of the base on these? I will look around too.

Comments on these are greatly appreciated.

Any other fish ideas would be helpful too.

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2008 19:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 3
EditedEdited by krash7172
I would go with the eclipse. When it comes to cleaning a tank that small, you will probably disturb much of your bio-filter. It's not like a large tank where you can easily clean 25% of the gravel each week when you do a WC. The biowheel in the eclipse will keep you from destroying your bio-filter. Just remember to keep it moist with tank water when the filter is off during a WC.

Edit: A small tank can build up nitates quickly if even slightly overstocked or overfed so you will probably want to be thorough when you clean it. The biowheel will allow you to even completely rinse the tank and gravel if you choose.
Post InfoPosted 01-Sep-2008 03:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I have always had large tanks the smallest being 4ft and the largest 6ft. Then after long and hard thinking with plenty of research I decided to go for a small desk top 45lt tank. All info re setting it up is in Photo Bucket.
What I did find out extremely fast is that there is very litle room for any error with a small tank even that size.
The tank now is totally different in set up and filtration also it is now a Cardinal Tetra tank. It is not even finished yet.
In my opinion the smaller you go the more careful you must be.

In your situation you are restricted to size therefore I would get as big as you can have but with every thing enclosed in the tank unit. Another thing you must consider is as Frank mentioned it must be portable and practical.

I think it is a matter of thinking twice and twice again and again then make the correct decision and every thing will work out perfectly.

Not being in the States I cannot comment on any of those tanks. Don't rely on sales pitch go and have a good look at every small tank you are interested in,

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 01-Sep-2008 05:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
We can have tanks up to 25 gallons just to let you all know.

I would like to go with the biggest/smallest tank possible considering the amount of room and where I would be able to put it on a shelf, stand or possibly my desk.

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 01-Sep-2008 06:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
I didn't research all of your options but as Keith says, there isn't much room for error. I would stay away from ungergravel filters with a small tank. Make sure you get something you can clean easily.

I personally think you should get the largest tank you can get away with. They won't measure the volume of the tank. I still have the 29H that I bought nearly 20 years ago when I was living in a dorm
Post InfoPosted 01-Sep-2008 08:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
So stay away from undergravel filters, why?

I would like to get a tank that is like 5-10 gallons, but very easy to move back and forth from the dorm to my house during summer break etc.

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 01-Sep-2008 17:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
Waste can accumulate under the UGF and is difficult to clean without removing. Many are running them in reverse with water movers but I don't think it would be practicle in a small tank. With the eclipse, the UGF isn't necessary.
Post InfoPosted 01-Sep-2008 20:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Mantis shrimp, although these are saltwater.
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2008 01:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
Can the UGF be easily removed from the ones that come with it?

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2008 02:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I am a strong supporter of UGF I have a very efficient one running in my 5ft tank now and have had them for more years than I can remember.

If you have to pull the thank down over a holiday period what would it be a problem any way. No matter what filter you have every time you relocate it you will still have to clean the filter and go through the cycling process.
If the one you choose has a UGF and you dont want to use it dont connect it up simple as that.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2008 03:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
My biowheels survived my recent move and there was no cycling when I refilled my tanks. Just keep the wheels moist with tank water like I mentioned before. I am sure the bio-filter will be fine if you set the tank back up the same day (possibly even longer). With a tank that small, you can make the move with a single 5 gallon bucket. You can pick one up with a lid for under $10 at a home improvement store. I'd take about 3 gallons of tank water with you. Put the fish and biowheel in the bucket.
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2008 04:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
keithgh - Do UGF have any affect on live plants? Wouldn't they ruin the roots? Would you suggest I use one then or not?

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2008 04:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
I have narrowed it down to just these 3:

#1: http://www.petco.com/product/104565/All-Glass-Aquarium-5-Gallon-Aquarium-Kit.aspx

#2: http://www.petco.com/product/12788/Marineland-Eclipse-Hex-5-Fully-Integrated-Aquarium-Kit.aspx

#3: http://www.petco.com/product/2398/Marineland-Eclipse-System-Six.aspx

Does anyone have any experience with any 3 of these?
Does anyone suggest one over another?
Would I be able to grow plants in these?

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2008 06:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
There is a strong debate about UGF and rooted plants. I have had rooted plants growing successfully using UGF but the filter rate must be good not just the occasional bubble. I think Frank has rooted plants in his UGF if I am correct. I dont think he would mind if you contacted him.
It is said that the plant roots actually eat the so called muck under the UGF.
Also the substrate must be a 1-3mm good river pebbles and at least 3ins deep 4ins is better.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2008 08:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies