AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Labyrinth Lounge
  L# Any Problems With These Species?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAny Problems With These Species?
skyeye
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 1
male usa
EditedEdited by skyeye
I am planning on putting 2 dwarf gouramis, 3-4 panda corys (was gonna put 2 but i read they like groups) and bout 5 zebra danios in a 10 gallon. im well aware that this is a slightly over stocked tank, so no need to tell me what i already know. i just wanna know with they mess wiith each other? i heard that zebras nip at long finned fish, will the gouramis be ok? they are the ones im most worried about.

*im planning on moveing them into my 55 in a few months once they grow a bit, and more importantly i get it set up
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 00:57Profile PM Edit Report 
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 255
Votes: 233
male usa
EditedEdited by zachf92
You've done a pretty good job with the stocking list, but I see a couple problems:
1- Two dwarf gouramis, unless both female, are likely to fight, especially in the confines of a 10g. If it's a M+F pair, it still might be a bit of a risk. I dont know this for sure, but ive heard gouramis pairs can be a bit unpredictable, especially when breeding.
2- zebra danios are a bit too active for a 10g, but if you're moving them to the 55g soon, i don't see any problem with it. Also, as long as you keep them in a large enough school, they shouldn't be nippy towards the gouramis
3- four panda cories isn't even a large enough group. All cories, especially panda cories, have a strong shoaling instinct, so theyre best kept in groups of at least 6.

I would do something like this instead, but only if you will be moving them to the 55g soon-
1 dwarf gourami
6 zebra danios
6 panda cories(bump these up to at least 8 when you put them in the 55g)
With the stocking above, I would suggest that you do 30% water changes every 5 days, unless you buy all of the fish at a very small size.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 02:09Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
skyeye
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 1
male usa
mmm yeah well might not be able to go to the 55 for several months, and the only spot i got for a tank aint big enough for anything bigger than a 10. it might actully be up to a year b4 we can move to a place and set it up.

question though, is the problem water quality or is the problem simply them not haveing enough room? the water quality wont be a problem idt, as imma slowly build the nitrafing bacteria up, and im gonna have 3 types of filtration + imma try to get some live plants, combined with a weekly 10-15% water change. Ive read that if u distribute the fish out, like have some that stay in the middle for example the gouramis, the cats always stay at the bottem, and normaly danios stay up top, so thy are spread out. i dont got a problem going with fewer fish, but one thing, i relly want to have a catfish. I suppose i could cycle with guppys, and just keep them and sumthin else.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 06:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
H-Dub
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 19
i would not add towo gouramis to a 10g 1 is plenty for many sizes of tanks, I would wait on the danios until you know you will be getting a bigger tank and maybe try some micro rasboras or other small tetra speices, cories should be fine provided you don't get the larger speices dwarfs would be fantastic in a 10
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2008 23:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies