AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# LITTLE_FISH 20G Long Log
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeLITTLE_FISH 20G Long Log
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Another addition to the tank is a group of Nana Petites that I removed from the 125G. They were completely invisible in there for quite a while now. I actually had 5 plantlets in the large tank but only could find 4 to bring over. I may have to hunt for the other one.

Attached Image:

Nana Petite

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2007 18:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
This is also Nana Petite and I got it during yesterday's NJAGC meeting in a swap (for part of my giant Nana Barteri). It is all on one rhizome and I didn't feel like cutting it so I parked it this way for the time being.

It is also of a much lighter green and the leaves are slightly larger. It may well be that this is one of these "false" petites that eventually will grow normal sized leaves (have you heard of them?).

Attached Image:

Nana Petite Again

Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2007 18:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Last but not least, I also moved one of the Tiger Lilly babies from the 125G over into this tank. It came loose one day and floated on the top so it was worthwhile moving it over here. I am curious to find out how it will do in these conditions.

Enough for now,

Have fun,

Ingo

Attached Image:

Baby Tiger

Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2007 18:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
What

Does this tank have a disease or why does nobody have to say anything about it?

Did it fall of your radar?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2007 17:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
Did it fall of your radar?

Actually, yes, it did. There are lots of tanks going around, and this one has slipped off my radar.

I don't remember when it happened, but I like the all rock + wisteria combo a lot, especially since this is a Q tank as well.

Not sure why that one particular NL fern didn't grow as narrow as most, but different lighting conditions may have played a part. Maybe it was shaded in its previous position, thus grew broader leaves?

Good move moving the petites out of the 125 as well. Unless you have about 300 of them crawly along some bogwood in that 125, they're not going to make enough impact (and I don't know anyone who'd spend ~$2,100 on anubias petite nana... )

They may even get a bit lost in the 20G though.... that's what nano tanks are for!

And as for the "false petites", I had anubias nanas a loooong time ago that, in high light conditions, with no shading, and when grown with only a small bit of rhizome, grew leaves smaller than petite nana leaves. I think this was just part of the plant growing up in certain conditions. As they grew the leaves got larger and grew in more the usual nana heart shape (the small leaves looked like buttons) My guess is, some people get small pieces of nana rhizomes and see small leaves grow off of them and sell them as petite nana. A good way to tell the difference IMO is to look at the leaf shape. Petite nana leaves look EXACTLY like regular nana leaves - heart or spade shaped. These false nana leaves will be rounder, more button like.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2007 17:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Thanks NowherMan6 for re-discovering this thread

Yeah, the Nana Petites were not visible anymore since quite a while in the 125G, and I still have not found the 5th one,

The NL Java Fern was actually from my 40G and grew there closest to the light on one of the branches of the right hill. I added to that tank some NL java fern from the 125G and that one still grows narrower in the same tank, and it grows much longer. If it is the same plant then more light would mean shorter and wider leaves. I think it is a different variant, by now they have sooooo many of them. Come to think of it, it looks a little like this Phillipine Java Fern.

Thanks for the info on the false Petites. From looking at the leaf shape of the new plants, it seems like they would be false. On the other hand, the rhizome is rather long, maybe 5 inches, as both leaf areas are growing of the same rhizome (this is what holds it in place behind the rock).

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2007 16:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Baby Tiger
They look very cute at that size. Remind me though, I am pretty sure this is the non C02 tank - but what about light. Is it high, medium or low, as I forget for the moment.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2007 16:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
Looking at the fern again, it does look a lot like the Phillipine variety. Those "hammered out" marks on the leaves look different than my NL fern. Good call on that one LF.

It's too bad this is going to be a low tech tank. I think this is your second best hardscape (behind the 40G), and I think it would look great with glosso or hairgrass - a real amano type deal. Though I can't imagine you'd want to go through the gloso nightmare any time soon again!

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2007 16:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I am pretty sure this is the non C02 tank - but what about light.

Yup - this is a non-CO2 tank with once a week (at best) the addition of 10ml of Excel, and some ferts. I just recently switched back to the old 2x20 T8 setup as the 65W unit was too intense, or at least that is what I blame for my plants not doing too well in that tank.

I think this is your second best hardscape

Oh - thank you NowherMan6

I don't think upping this tank to high tech is a great idea, too much work and my constant fiddling with this tank would not help either,

Also, new fish that come from the LFS will probably have an easier time to adjust to "normal" water conditions than to 50ppm of CO2.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2007 17:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
50ppm of CO2.
That's it? I think mine is around 75-80ppm....

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2007 18:18Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
That's it?

Sorry Wings, I didn't know we have a competition going on as to who has the most CO2 in their tanks

But you are by far not the highest I know of. I have members in my club that run over 100ppm.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2007 18:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina

Beat this though....I only have 25-30 and no algae .

It's like the lighting wars on reef tanks. "I gots a 400w metal halide over my 2.5G tank for 160 watts per gallon."

All I have to say is that I have my corals under 2.8 watts per gallon and they are thriving, who seems smarter?

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2007 22:09Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I have members in my club that run over 100ppm.
Wow thats up there. Do they have fish?

There are a lot of different things that come into play when trying to grow things. Each tank is going to be different depending on the goal.

I have found with my higher light of 5.26WPG my plants don't grow up as much. I don't remember the last time I trimed my sunset hygro.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2007 04:13Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Wow thats up there. Do they have fish?

Yes Wings, they do. Funny story: one of them told me recently that they introduced a fish too fast and it had a really rough time to adjust, but eventually did. It first behaved as if put into poison, jerking around like mad.

Anyway,

Not so good things to report about the fishies.

Here is a full tank shot:

Attached Image:

Full Tank

Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2007 10:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
In that last shot, there is a female adult Platy between the center rock and the rock on the right. I had to put her down last night, but she would have died within a few hours max anyway. She showed no visible signs of damage, but she was sitting motionless for most of the day (I first thought she will have fry, like soooooo many times before) but when feeding time came she did weird moves around the tank.

I hope that she died of old age as she is one of the original two that I introduced to the tank when I set it up initially, almost two years ago.

On the other hand, one of the cories is having a whitish patch on his/her left side, I will try to point it out in a later picture.

So, here are some Cory shots:

Attached Image:

Cory I

Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2007 11:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
EditedEdited by LITTLE_FISH
Look at comments and pictures on previous page bottom

Another look at a cory.

The pictures where taken during the morning hours, I don't know why they were so eager to look for food then. Normally they just roam the tank at this hour. I think they begin to associate my presence with food.

Attached Image:

Cory II

Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2007 11:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Here is a shot that shows the Cory (on the left) with the whitish patch on his/her left side (on the right from your perspective). The patch is just before and below the dorsal fin.

The fish behaves totally fine, eats well, peruses the tank with the others. I will wait a while and then see what to do about it.

Attached Image:

Cory III

Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2007 11:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
So much about Cories needing open substrate to find food. Here is a typical shot on other areas of the tank where the cories look for food, the top of the Wisteria plants.

Also, note the rather "bad" look of the leaves on the lower right of the picture vs. the "healthy" look of the leaves on the left. The bad ones are old growth and the healthy ones are new growth. I almost gave up on the wisteria in the tank, but instead put the old light back on. The new one (65W) was just too much for a low tech tank.

Attached Image:

Cory IV

Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2007 11:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Last shot for this session, another cory-eating-of-substrate.

I will try to get a better picture of the cory's white patch today,

Have fun,

Ingo

Attached Image:

Cory V

Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2007 11:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
As always, everything is looking very nice.
I just recently switched back to the old 2x20 T8 setup
So it will be interesting to see how your baby tiger lily does. I will use you as the experiment & maybe try it myself if it works for you.

My cories (sterbai) also seem happy in a planted tank & spend equally as much time in areas of solid planting as they do in the areas where they can get to the gravel.

Hope the white patch turns out to be nothing. Keep us posted.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2007 14:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Thanks Robyn for input and comments,

Things are going from bad to worst in a hurry.

Now the second adult female is lethargic and just hangs out either at the surface or the bottom. And the patchy cory just sits at the bottom, having a blossoming patch on the other side of his body as well. All does not look too good, I have to say. Only the juvenile and child platies are as active as usual.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2007 17:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
If you are concerned about the white patch, you might drop
a PM to LHG or Caili with a picture and see what they have
to say about it. I don't think they frequent this forum
very often and might pass over your concerns.
Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2007 18:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I agree, Git especially seems to know disease. I'll be the first to admit that I wouldn't have a clue. Sorry to hear about the losses, hopefully you can get this fixed up quick. Thank goodness for QT, huh LF?

Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2007 00:42Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Yeah, thanks guys, but I think I pass.

Why? Because I am a lazy bum

I would have to get all kinds of measurements (N, P, and what not) and my kits are old and haven't been used in quite a while. Then, if they would know what it is and how to treat it (if that is possible at all) I would have to go and get meds, do water changes like a madman, and what not. I actually don't have the time for it, and I don't have the patience.

Tonight all fish ate fine, including the adult Platie and the patchy Cory. I will just wait it out and then ask you guys how long you think I will have to leave the tank empty (once all died, but I hope it doesn't come to it).

I know it sounds harsh, but most of the time once you see the illness it is too late anyway (as it is not Ich) and either they pull through or not.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2007 01:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
It's interesting I haven't had alot of success with Cory's although I did have one survive my son's 5g (which is now my nano open-top), my yeast factory and my other tank for about 2 years. Other than that I didn't have alot of success, although I attribute loses to the corrupted eco I had at the time. LF I think I had the same species, but couldn't find the pics in my log.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2007 01:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi Ingo,
Actually you kinda surprised me with that reply.
If the fish die, and you want to quarantine the tank
so to speak, you should still know what it was that
killed them. How long you leave it fish less might depend
upon what it was and how it survives.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2007 01:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Thanks tetratech for the input

Frank - I know it sounded harsh, I didn't meant it to be that way. To explain it a little further:

Have you ever tried to explain someone the dynamics of your tank, like the interaction and bahvior amongst the fish and the plant etc. development over time? I find it is almost impossible to describe all the inputs (parameters) that may attribute to a certain status quo.

For example:

It makes perfect sense that the "old" platy died this weekend as she was truly old and gave birth pretty much every month ever since I had her. That is a lot of babies and very tasking on the female.

On the other hand - was the introduction of the new fish the reason? On to the current "sick" female Platy, also an adult. She (and the other) show no outwards signs of illness, just strange behavior. For about one year, these two females were together in this tank and managed to divert offers made by younger males (one at a time, never more males of breeding age) between them. Now she is alone and the tank does not offer a lot of hiding places. Can it be that her behavior is based on harassment and that she is not ill at all? If she is ill, how can a non-visual illness be identified with high accuracy?

And the Cory: These catfish are hard to evaluate because of their armor. Illnesses that manifest on the outside are very different from non-plated fish. And what about his behavior? He eats as much and vigurously as the other cories, hangs out almost as often as they do, and is socially accepted by the other two. His spot has not increased. What are the chances that he can wing it? If this is a fatal illness, what are the chances that we only see the effects but not the cause, which may - and most likely is - one of many reasons. Am I going to treat for all of them? How?

About the other fish in the tank: There are currently one juvenile male, one juvenile female, 2 almost juvenile somethings, and 3 youngsters. So far, none of them shows any signs of anything. I would have assumed that the illness spreads from the weakest to the strongest, so what is up with that? Does that mean that even a youngster is stronger than the adult? Doesn't sound plausible.

As you can see, this are only the obvious reasons for me on why asking the experts (and I appreciate their knowledge very much) seems a waist of time as they are most likely only going to add more questions to this equation. I can already hear the reply that it is "most likely" this or that illness, at best. Well, most likely is less than 100% and so the doubts of something else as the culprit remain.

Does it make more sense now? Maybe I invite them to look at this thread and let choose if they would add comments or not

Thanks,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2007 13:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Well, I hope it all comes to nothing. At one stage, I thought I could see a white patch on one of my cories. The more I looked, the more I thought I could see it. In the end, I think it was just a variance in his colour - so I hope the same goes for you. They have been in my tank maybe around a year now.

I have had good luck with cories - albeit not these false Julis (or whatever their name is). I think they are really cute & playful - the way they bounce around the place.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2007 13:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
LF,

The corrie with the white spot. I think it might be a heater burn. I have seen it in my story a few times and also on a couple of my Otos too.

Just my thoughts....

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2007 13:59Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Thanks Robyn and Wings for the input.

The corrie with the white spot. I think it might be a heater burn.

You know what? This was one of the thoughts that I forgot to mention in my brainstorming session further up. It had crossed my mind that this may be from the heater as they went to hide under the heater during the first day. I even considered raising the heater further up as the gap below was rather narrow. But I had to evaluate what is worse, learning that this thing is hot or scaring them even more by messing with their cover.

Thanks, and again another option to consider,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2007 14:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Hi Ingo,

I have to say it looks like a thermal burn to me too.There is a slight swelling too in the picture,you can see the perfect symmetry of the cory from the front aspect is slightly off, and thats fairly typical as the heat damages the tissues and they may take up a little water.

Because burn tissue sloughs outwards there will be be some dead tissue on the exterior of the fish for some time, maybe even a month or two. During this time the fish would will be susceptible to bacterial and fungal infections, fungal infections especially may try to take hold as they rather than bacteria will be the first to colonise dead flesh or slime layers. Should the patch widen or redden or indeed go fluffy, reach for the meds.

I guess you can leave it and see how it goes,maybe try a little stress coat, but I might try just a little pimafix to knock the fungal levels in the tank down a little while he recovers, just as you would if you had eggs in the tank. You keep some pretty clean tanks , so I wouldnt expect too much trouble.

On the other deaths, the swimming upside down and sudden deaths- well TBH aside from acclimation shock (lets face it , it happens sometimes no matter what you do) there is a chance of flaggelate protozoan infection, there are many many species, and cories will be in the frontline of fish that ingest them as they feed. They too can cause skin patches, and they do indeed exploit open wounds. Because many protozoa show no truly indicative external symptoms its tricky to diagnose.Many do not cause significant loss of weight , and some go straight for the nervous system, killing the fish before advanced debilitation and starvation set in.

Looking at the pics of your fish,which are beautifully clear the only thing I really cant rule out apart from a minor fungus infection which would not kill, is a protozoan infection. Theres no hint of heavy bacterial activity, no reddening of the gills, no signs of septacaemia, eyes are clear, skin apart from the one with the patch is very healthy, all barbels intact.Visually theres nothing much to go on.

You live in the states and so could try some jungle labs antiparasite formula, and could treat the fish safetly without ruining the balance of your tanks. Might be worth a go. Protozoa area major mystery killer, they often (more than most other complaints) leave no visible trace.

Somehow though, call it instinct, ill be surprised if you get further deaths. Maybe just sit and watch for any definite symptoms before doing anything.
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2007 23:43Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
LHG,

Thank you so much for your input and help

The cories have been the same yesterday as they had been the days before, more or less active, and very active at feeding time. I see no difference in behavior of the "sick" one when compared to the two others. His mark is the same, no decline is noticable.

ON THE OTHER HAND: I had to put down the second adult female Platy . When coming home from work she was very inactive and was breathing hard. Her movements where no longer proper, albeit she could still swim for a short period she pretty much sank to the floor and sat there. There was no struggle what-so-ever when I caught her, it would have been a question of a few hour max and she would have died on her own.

Having Platies now for over two years I have seen a few "unexplainable" deaths along the way, where out of the blue, without any changes to the tank, a Platy gets sick and dies. Overbred? Maybe. The Platy in this tank that I had to put down a few days ago could have easily died of old age (and heavy breeding frequency), but when I got here a long time ago I bought a second female that died rather young (nevertheless, over one year old), also without major changes to tank and population. There are so many variables in the tank that it is hard to pinpoint what kills a fish (except if clear signs are there). In this case, it could have been the fact the last nights victim wasn't the youngest anymore as well, combined with the stress that she was now the sole target of a male. Under normal conditions I would have removed that male and placed him in the 29G, that's what I did in the past with fry that got too large and stalked the females. But, of course, in quaranteen conditions this would not have been a good move this time around.

Again, all other fish in the tank look and behave fine, even the youngest of the platies (like maybe 6 weeks old).

I will keep an eye open and see what happens next.

Again, thanks a lot LHG for the input and in confirming Wings' possible explanation of the Cory marking,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2007 13:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
The platys probably are inbred, sometimes its like someone just turned off their clock, they get cancer, (not visible if internal), the immune system goes to hell, and they just start to die.It happens to so many selectively bred species, not just fish, mammals too. I had a shoal of sunset platies that just all died of cancer and no immune system within days of each other, I had full path reports done on them because it was doing my noodle in. Nothing was seriously wrong with them , other than a lot of deformed tissue on a microscopic level, as if they no longer had any oxidant defense. Cellularly,they just suddenly aged and died. They were two years old. No real disease was complicit other than the usual gut bacteria expanding as they weakened.

It might well just be bad genes. Whatever the problem, id guess its specific to the platies and their resistance issues, I think the cories are basically ok. Unfortunately the genetic health of the platies is not something I can predict.If they were my fish however, I might still be tempted to try some jungle formula, just to content myself that id reduced the chances of unseen threats a little.

Its one of those things, maybe im a little paranoid, but id still like to take the option of knowing id tried everything rather than watching them keel over one by one on theoretical calculation, even if I am fairly confidant the calculations are correct. Nature loves to make fools of the clever folks especially Hence I like to cover my bases a lot.Its a probability thing.
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2007 13:43Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Thanks LHG again,

I think I will wait until the next fish shows any signs of slowing down and then frantically go on the hunt for Jungle Tabs.

And I am 100% with you on the overbred issue of Platies. the female that died yesterday was potentially the daughter of her mother and her brother

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2007 18:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Just a quick update:

Things are looking good, no further losses have ocurred and all fish are active. The "marked" cory seems just fine, and I believe the mark is getting smaller, or I simply got used to it.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 06-Apr-2007 13:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Thats good to hear!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 06-Apr-2007 15:12Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
no further losses have ocurred and all fish are active. The "marked" cory seems just fine

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 09-Apr-2007 09:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Not much has changed in this tank in the last few weeks, except that during the last water change the rhizome of the Anubias that was stuch behind the middle rock broke and I had to anchor the plant differently (that's why it is almost not visible anymore.

The cories are all doing fine, it appears as if the one with the heater burns is doing ok now.

Here is the tank,

Have fun,

Ingo

Attached Image:

Last Night

Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2007 14:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Glad your cory is doing well now. Are they still in QT, or is this their home now. IF so, they are lucky to have such a nice home.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2007 15:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
They are still in QT Robyn, and I actually think I will eventually place them in the 40G once I "cleaned up" that tank.

Glad you find this tank to be nice, the members of the NJAGC that were at last weeks meeting in my place think that this is actually my best tank (design wise)

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 02-May-2007 17:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Over a month has gone by since I added the 4 Cories, of which 3 made it through the first day and are still going strong. So today, I could not leave them in such small numbers anymore:

Attached Image:

More Cories

Post InfoPosted 07-May-2007 02:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Yay, yippee - more cories. They are sooo cute

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2007 02:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
So I bought another 3, to beef up the group to 6 (or at least 5, as the one that once got burned by the heater seems a little weak).

Not long after the bag got into the QT, the residents already wanted to school.

Attached Image:

Get Out and Play!

Post InfoPosted 07-May-2007 02:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Here come 5 more shots of them after they finally got out of the bag.

Here are two of the new ones,

And thanks Robyn

Attached Image:

2 New Ones

Post InfoPosted 07-May-2007 02:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Here are two new ones and two old ones, being observed by a juvenile platy in the back.

The new ones are lighter in coloration, so for now they can be easily distinuished.

Attached Image:

Group

Post InfoPosted 07-May-2007 02:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Here is a group shot of three of them, with Lilly,

I think only the left one is an old one, already can't keep them straight anymore

Attached Image:

Smaller Group

Post InfoPosted 07-May-2007 02:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
During these group shots, the other new one visited the "burned" one. He is simply hanging out most of the time, not doing much at all.

Attached Image:

Hey Buddy!

Post InfoPosted 07-May-2007 02:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
EditedEdited by LITTLE_FISH
Last but not least, enjoy 5 of them together, with two old ones on the left (including burny).

That's it,

Have fun,

Ingo

Attached Image:

Good By

Post InfoPosted 07-May-2007 02:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Cute Corry Cats! You will enjoy having a larger group of them.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2007 14:05Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Yes Wings,

They do, and showed me that they like it as soon as the new ones were released.

Not that I did not know that anyway, but I did not have a choice as only 3 "good" ones were available in the first batch (we know what happened to the 4th I bought then, one of the lazy guys, as he didn't make it through the first 24h). This time, they had more active ones in the store and I think it paid off.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 07-May-2007 14:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Hm,

Last night, when coming home from work, I found the burned Cory dead. As I mentioned in an earlier entry, he wasn't all that active like the others, so I cannot say for sure what killed him (don't suggest testing my water parameters, please).

So, this means that there are now 5 Cories left, so far they look good.

I bought some frozen Blood Worms for them, now if I only would remember how to serve them

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 09-May-2007 15:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by tankwatcher
Sorry for the loss

Now, re feeding with the frozen blood worms, here's what I do:-
I have a spare little measuring medicine cup, that came with some fish meds, that I have saved. I put a little tank water in that & cut off a small portion of frozen worms from one of the cubes & add that to the medicine measuring cup. Let the worms thaw & come to room temperature. I have a spare fine mesh net & I sieve my tank water/worm mixture & poor the liquid down the sink (you don't want to put all that yucky red liquid in your tank - at least I don't think you do).
Now you can just dump the worms (bit by bit) into your tank, or tank the even more cautious next step that I do.

I have a medicine dropper (such as used for human babies). I put the now clean bloodworms back in the medicine measuring cup, add a little more tank water. Then suck up a small amount in my medicine eye dropper. This way I can target feed the intended fish, as well as I find I have better control in making sure I only deliver a small portion at a time. I find I make less waste/mess in the tank with this method & once the stop taking the worms, I just dump the exces in the trash.

Forgot to mention that after I cut off the small portion I'll use at that feed, I put the balance of that cube back in the packaging & then double wrap the whole thing in glad wrap (is that what you call it in US - the clingy plastic wrap stuff) & pop it straight back in the freezer.

Oh, does this question mean you have bought yourself your own fridge/freezer for your fishy supplies?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 09-May-2007 15:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Oh, does this question mean you have bought yourself your own fridge/freezer for your fishy supplies?

- No, I have it wrapped in a paper bag and told my wife it is sealed fish food (which is true). I guess the trouble will start once I have individual glad wrap packages all over the fridge .

Thanks Robyn for the detailed account on how to feed this stuff. I currently have a very fine dropper for my liquid ferts and will see if that one works (not the one I use for the ferts, a spare one).

Just two more questions:

1) If I just dump them into the tank, will they sink?
2) How long does it take to defrost the portion of the cube?

Thanks in advance,

Ingo

PS: I also saw the female Apisto in the 125G going into "hiding" under some plant/wood formation. I assume she is guarding as she is as healthy looking as she can be. Maybe I put some in that area as well, is she happens to still guard tonight.

Post InfoPosted 09-May-2007 16:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
It's about time you got your hands on some frozen food!

Just two more questions:

1) If I just dump them into the tank, will they sink?
2) How long does it take to defrost the portion of the cube?

1. They should. If they are still froze then they might float for a bit but if you defrost them they should sink just fine.

2. Blood worms defrost rather quickly. A minute or two tops.

Are you planning on hooking the Apistos from teh 40G with them too? I think you should!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 09-May-2007 17:07Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
PS: I also saw the female Apisto in the 125G going into "hiding" under some plant/wood formation. I assume she is guarding as she is as healthy looking as she can be. Maybe I put some in that area as well, is she happens to still guard tonight.
Fingers crossed for you here, although you probably have lots of hungry residents waiting to snack on fry in the 125G.
Maybe I put some in that area as well, is she happens to still guard tonight
Good plan. Not only will she love you for it, if you dump it real close, she won't have to venture too far from her eggs/fry to have a snack. It's always a risk to eggs/fry when mum leaves to eat, unless dad is sharing the guarding burden.

Blood worms will defrost really quickly, especially as they are sitting in tank water to defrost. Yes they should sink to the bottom, but a possible problem with just dumping them may mean the current in the tank will drift the bloodworms where you don't necessarily want them to. Same thing happens with flakes & pellets I guess, but I find my hungry surface eaters don't give that much chance to happen. Your platys will thank you for the bloodworms too

I started off using the eye dropper, so I could direct food to exactly where I want it. Especially useful when feeding fry BBS.

Definitely share the bloodworms around in all your tanks - everyone will thank you. Agree with Wings that the Apistos will love them.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 09-May-2007 17:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Thanks guys for the input, I will try out how this feeding of frozen stuff goes and report back to you. Depending on how much I defrost I may spread it out over the tanks.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 09-May-2007 21:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I always defrost the bloodworms, then rinse the "nasty water" using a brine shrimp net(the white kind) and run them under tap water. This removes a lot of excess waste, and will help in the algae control area. So I don't recommend just plunking it into the tank. You can also use a turkey baster(not the wife's ) or eye dropper as to target feed in tough places as stated above.

Sorry to hear about the cory. He didn't look so great in the last pic. I hope these do well for ya. They will definitely enjoy the bloodworms.

Post InfoPosted 10-May-2007 02:41Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
told my wife it is sealed fish food (which is true). I guess the trouble will start once I have individual glad wrap packages all over the fridge
Tell her, quite truthfully, it will always remain sealed. It will be sealed with glad wrap that's all. I return the portion of cube straight back into the little square it popped out of, put the foil cover back in place (I never fully remove it - only peel it as far as I need to access the current cube I'm using) & then double wrap it in glad wrap. Totally sealed, IMO.

I always defrost the bloodworms, then rinse the "nasty water" using a brine shrimp net(the white kind) and run them under tap water.
Exactly what I do Matty, only I use tank water (just being extra cautious). That's what happens when I soak them in the medicine cup to thaw (in tank water) then rinse them in a net, using extra tank water, to rinse till clean.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 10-May-2007 02:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Thanks folks for the additional info,

Feeding went pretty well last night, I will post a photo documentation of it tonight so bear with me until then

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 10-May-2007 13:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I will post a photo documentation of it tonight so bear with me until then

Well, as you can see I did not post the pictures the following evening, I had somewhat of a crisis but more to this in my 40G log.

So, here are the pictures for the feeding.

First up, the Hikari cube still frozen:

Attached Image:

Food I

Post InfoPosted 13-May-2007 23:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Then I took a small measuring cup and added some tank water and dumped the cube in there. As soon as I did the defrosting started, I thought it would take a while.

Attached Image:

Food II

Post InfoPosted 13-May-2007 23:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Once defrosted, I took the baby brime shrimp net that I bought a while back (don't know why, but I thought it may come handy some day) and drained the worms.

Attached Image:

Food III

Post InfoPosted 13-May-2007 23:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I placed fresh tank water in the cup and gave the worms another swim. This time I used less water, just enought for the worms to be submersed so that I will be able to "scoop" up more at once.

Attached Image:

Food IV

Post InfoPosted 13-May-2007 23:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Then I took one of my 3ml droppers, the same kind that I use for my ferts, and sucked up a bunch of the worms.

Attached Image:

Food V

Post InfoPosted 13-May-2007 23:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
And then I dropped some into the 20G QT, right in the area where two of the cories were looking for food. As you can see, neither seems to interested. One eventually stumbled accross the worms, and may have eaten one, but there was no rush for it. So I am a little dissapointed.

The cories, as of today, don't seem to be doing to well. It seems like another one is on his way out, I expect him to go down within the next two to three days. Maybe cories are not for me.

Attached Image:

Food VI

Post InfoPosted 13-May-2007 23:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
The fish that really liked the bloodworms though were the Platies in the tank, oh surprise.

Here you can watch a juvenile munching down the third worm in a row, LOL.

Attached Image:

Food VII

Post InfoPosted 13-May-2007 23:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Last but not least, I took some of the remaining worms and added them to the 40G, which also did not seem to raise too much interest right away. I guess they don't know what to do with it.

In the 125G, on the other hand, all fish went nuts over them. Here you see the female Apisto appreciating the snack.

That is it for now,

Have fun and check the other logs as I did a huge photo weekend and all 4 logs have new pictures (in a few mintues, at least),

Ingo

Attached Image:

Food VIII

Post InfoPosted 13-May-2007 23:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MoFish
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 40
female usa
Nice picture doc. Ingo, I always enjoy them.

I am surprised that the cories didn't take to the worms...if they like shrimp pellets (like mine) then shouldn't they like something more "meaty"?

Also sorry to here about your sick cory, hope he gets better.

~Morgan~
Post InfoPosted 14-May-2007 00:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MoFish
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Nice picture doc. Ingo, I always enjoy them.

I am surprised that the cories didn't take to the worms...if they like shrimp pellets (like mine) then shouldn't they like something more "meaty"?

Also sorry to here about your sick cory, hope he gets better.

~Morgan~
Post InfoPosted 14-May-2007 00:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Have to say that although most everyone else seems to enjoy blood worms in my tanks (except ottos), I have never seen my cories eat them either. In fact, I never see the cories pay much attention to any of the wafers I drop in either. They constantly are picking at the bottom and seem to be strong survivors in my tanks, so I assume they do eat - just not when I'm watching - or else the picking is enough for them.

I'm surprised that everyone else isn't going wild for the worms though. Maybe they just haven't realised it's a food source, since it is a new offering for them. Once they get the taste, it may change.

I hope the sick one picks up and hope you find corys are for you, after all. So cute with their antics.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 14-May-2007 00:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I begin to think that the barbels are wearing down on them as they dig through the Eco. It appears as if the 3 older ones, of which one is dead and one will be soon, have much shorter barbels than the newer ones

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 14-May-2007 00:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
begin to think that the barbels are wearing down on them as they dig through the Eco. It appears as if the 3 older ones, of which one is dead and one will be soon, have much shorter barbels than the newer ones

I had a hard time as well with Corys in my eco-based tank initially, while they seem to live fine in my son's regular color-dyed graveled 5G. I wonder if there's any more info to support a eco connnection.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 14-May-2007 02:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I've always heard not to keep cories in tanks with sharp gravel....I didn't think that co complete fell into that category. I'd think they would do fine.

Post InfoPosted 14-May-2007 04:19Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Yeah,

I also have no idea what the problem is, and I also knew about the sharp gravel - not good for cories thing. But I also heard that Eco would not fall into this category.

I guess some research would be in place, I would just have to find the time to do it,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 14-May-2007 13:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MoFish
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Kind of a wild guess but maybe the cories' barbles are wearing down because they are rooting a lot in the gravel looking for food. If you could find a food that they really like, they would be full more and not "root around" so much.
Whenever I had a school of cories, I got them hooked on shrimp pellets and they did not root around so much. So maybe this might be it.
Although it could seem likely that it is your gravel - since it has some special plant food stuff in it that could be harmful to the cories, but that doesn't make sense to me because the package prolly says "aquarium safe"... I am not really sure about anything though.()

~Morgan~
Post InfoPosted 14-May-2007 22:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
It's only a hunch but I do think it's the Eco, but I think it has more to do with the chemical makeup of the stuff than its physical shape. Any fish will be affected by a substrate leaching stuff into the WC, but the corys in particular since by nature they are digging right into the stuff. In nature I'm sure Cory's live with a fairly inert substrate, probably mostly sand or small stones so now their in a tank with a substrate that is heavy on the metal size with Iron and other elements. In my experience with Corys and Eco they did much better after the eco was a year or so old. Again totally unscientific, but a hunch nevertheless.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 14-May-2007 23:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lysaer
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 57
Votes: 2
male usa
It is good to know about this, because I had been thinking about using EC in my 75g when I set it up. Now I will be thinking harder about using something else, or not putting cories in there.

Listen! Do you smell that?
Post InfoPosted 14-May-2007 23:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hope it's not the eco. I already have the eco waiting to go in the tank to replace the 43g & my healthy cories will be moving house, along with everyone else.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2007 02:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Hope it's not the eco. I already have the eco waiting to go in the tank to replace the 43g & my healthy cories will be moving house, along with everyone else

Sorry to scare you Robyn. Again it's certainly just my experience and a hunch and you'll have to draw your own conclusions. The only correlation here is that LF and I both had trouble keeping cories in eco-based tanks and cories are considered fairly easy fish to keep, but it doesn't mean it's the Eco it could be sensitivity to something else.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2007 02:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks tetratech. I will keep my fingers crossed (bought 3 bags of the stuff [eco that is] and it's really costly here in Aus).

I still have my other planted tank (with ADA soil) but I don't want cories in there. That tank is a safe haven for breeding apistos (even if they didn't read the rules & don't do what's expected). I don't want egg predators (or any predators) in there. I've read cories eat eggs.

The move is still about a month away (tank is being made now & then I'm going to get a tradesman in to reinforce my cupboard). Then fish will move across slowly (only a few each month). Planned to move the ottos last, but maybe I should rethink & move cories last.

Sorry to hijack your thread LF, with this side issue.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2007 02:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
still have my other planted tank (with ADA soil)

For some reason I didn't realize you had ADA soil in a tank. When you say ADA soil are you referring to Aquasoil Amazonia. What was your experience starting up the tank with that stuff? Did you use it in combination with powersand? Reason I ask is I have 3 bags of the stuff and I'm about to start up the old 46g with it.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2007 02:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I used Aquasoil Amazonia in my 23G (the dedicated apisto breeding tank). I used Power Sand Special under the aqasoil, which has Bacter 100 and Clear Super added to it. The Power Sand doesn't have those, but they can be bought separately. Tank was set up with ADA in May 2006.

What I like about it:-
Tank was absolutely clear from first filling (probably the Clear Super helped there)

My pH from tap is around 7.8 to 8pH & this ADA keeps it low. Not sure how low, as my test kit doesn't go below 6.0, but I just tested it now & know it is no higher than 6.0 & probably it's even lower (dang, wish I hadn't broken my pH pen tester). I'm really happy about it's ability to keep pH low and stable, as that's why I mainly bought it.

Plants grow really well. At the moment I'm having algae problems, but I think it was a lack of fast growers & not related to ADA.

What I don't like about it:-
If it lowers ph so dramatically - how do you tell if you have too much C02 going in (this is one reason I don't use C02 in this tank).
When you pull up a rooted plant, the little volvanic stones (which is what power sand is) rise to the surface - which is annoying.

In all, I do recommend it and I'm really happy with it.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2007 03:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Yeah,

I put down the other cory last night, I have no idea what is going on. So far I lost 3 out of 7, one was sick from the getgo, one had the burns and was dead one day, and the last one had his tail disintegrating and was breathing very hard. All other fish in the tank (like 7 platies and 4 cories) look fine, I will see what happens next. If I had to make a prediction then I would say that the reamaining one cory from the first batch (like 6 weeks ago) should be the next one to show problems.

And about the Aqua Soil: I will start soon to look at the hearsay information I have about it (and the visuals I get from member tanks at the NJAGC and here) from a critical perspective. The more I think about it the less I like it.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 15-May-2007 13:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
the trick with the ADA stuff is to use lots of water changes from the get go isn't it?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2007 14:11Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
My water change routine with the ADA is once a week, same as for the other tanks. My algae problems only commenced when I had reduced plant mass & no fast growers. I can only go from my own personal experience though and, from that, I remain a fan of the stuff.

Interested to hear what others say, particularly those who've had it 2 yrs plus - does it still retain it's pH lowering qualities after that long? One year into use - I can confirm it does.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2007 23:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
It is always interesting to see how a product works out for others.

The water change thing I was talking about... was from a fresh start up. After the first month or so I guess weekly is fine but the first month you really need to be on the water changes I guess.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 16-May-2007 14:12Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Did you try the bloodworms again? Wondering if your fishies are learning to like them any better? More importantly, how are your cories doing?

Agree Wings, I'll be interested to hear how ADA goes for others, if LF does any research. What have you heard? It always seems doubts start coming in on a product, just after I buy it

Re the water changes, the ADA tank was crystal clear from the get go. There were no water changes until it cycled, then moved straight into 50% weekly and sometimes bi-weekly water changes. As the ADA tank is low tech, I don't always do a change every week

Maybe I have been luckier than others, but seems to have worked out in my tank so far.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 16-May-2007 14:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
if LF does any research

As of right now, I am way too lazy to seriously get into that topic, but I have seen tanks do well in various substrates and I have seen tanks not doing so well in the same substrates. Meaning - overall care is the key, not the substrate. Now, what does care mean? Too much to explain quickly and I haven't thought it out either

Anyway, here are some tank shots from now: First up, the Nana Petite forest in the right front of the tank:

Attached Image:

Nana Petite

Post InfoPosted 20-May-2007 14:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Next in line, the 4 remaining Cories. No Robyn, I have not tried to feed more frozen food, I didn't get around to it.

So far, these 4 seem ok, although the one remaining from the first batch is not always into the perusing that the other 3 do all day long. Here they all are, on the heater:

Attached Image:

Cories

Post InfoPosted 20-May-2007 14:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Here is a close-up of an addition I made this weekend, the Najas Indica in the 29G grew so well that I could use 4 clippings in this tank.

Anyone with a Nano Tank, this may be something for you, think about it!

Attached Image:

Najas Indica

Post InfoPosted 20-May-2007 14:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
And here is a look at one of the permanent residents, the twin bar platies. This one is a juvenile, one of 7 overall. I think soon it is time to move some of them into the 29G as they are growing too tall for this tank.

Attached Image:

Juvenile Platy

Post InfoPosted 20-May-2007 14:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Last but not least, a full tank shot from yesterday. Here you can see the additon of the Najas Indica to the left and right of the fern in the center. Overall, the tank is pretty stable and of almost no concern (there is always some concern).

Have fun,

Ingo

Attached Image:

Tank 5/19/2007

Post InfoPosted 20-May-2007 14:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Just a quick update on the tank and an image coparison:

The tank has not much changed in the last few weeks, except that the nana petites were removed in favor of the 125G's redo.

Also, the Najas indica looks a little stomped, that is because at the time of this picture (and for the last two weeks) about 30 Amano shrimp were quaranteened in this tank. And these guys can eat a lot. They cleaned up the substrate at the open front and when that was done they started to eat the indica leaves

Here is the tank:

Attached Image:

6/2/2007

Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2007 13:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Almost by accident I came up with the idea to take a picture with the lighting moved much further forward, actually the unit itself was hanging over the front of the tank.

I am surprised how different the tank looks under this lighting condition.

That's it for now,

Ingo

Attached Image:

Another Lighting Position

Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2007 13:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
Ingo , love the hardscape in this tank , really strong and simple . I'm always in a quandry about what looks best with different light positions .

Moving it forward does make the tank look very different though . Think I like the light plays on the rocks better with it further forward.
Garry

Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2007 14:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Yes Garry - I like the hardscape as well, a long tank that is rather shallow allows rather small rocks to play an important role.

I am not intending to light the tank as shown in the second picture, it was just to show how different the incoming light can make a tank look.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2007 16:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Well the lighting effect you show is just a small example of how important camera skills and equipment is when taking photos of your tank. Have you ever seen the equipment Amano uses to photograph his tanks? Many pics you see of tanks from advanced scapers are either professional done or are photoshopped to death to get the right look, etc.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 04-Jun-2007 02:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Have you ever seen the equipment Amano uses to photograph his tanks?

Yeah, it's called "20 people"

Many pics you see of tanks from advanced scapers are either professional done or are photoshopped to death to get the right look, etc.

So much about the "code of honor" that explicitly limits the actions that one is allowed to perform when participating in contests and such

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 04-Jun-2007 13:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
So much about the "code of honor" that explicitly limits the actions that one is allowed to perform when participating in contests and such
Who knows what tetra has done with his tank to win contest.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 04-Jun-2007 14:06Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Who knows what tetra has done with his tank to win contest.

Come again

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 04-Jun-2007 14:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I am sure Wings was only kidding, right

But you know what I meant tetratech, right? Whenever there is a chance that something can be enhanced through tools (or doping, as we can see now in baseball and bicyclists) some people will not be able to resist.

Some of these tools have been permitted, or are at least tolerated, for example the removal of all tank hardware during the shoot (heaters and all), the "fresh" replant of trimmings for the shoot (as I have read an article about someone who was successful in competitions and he did just that, fresh trimmings stuck tightly together albeit the stems would never have enough light to grow like that), and the addition of a fan above the water line for the ripple effect.

This does not apply to you, of course, as you didn't enter a contest per se but have been selected because of the tank's natural beauty, and they have seen your tank in various stages a few times by now, right?

Post InfoPosted 04-Jun-2007 14:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I am sure Wings was only kidding, right
Right I guess I should have added a to my comment. This time around I need one of these...

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 04-Jun-2007 15:04Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
EditedEdited by tetratech
Right I guess I should have added a to my comment. This time around I need one of these...

I know your only kidding, cause I know you, but without the , you never know what someone's thinging through this medium.

BTW - Only kidding with the algae post in LF's log

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 04-Jun-2007 15:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
This does not apply to you, of course, as you didn't enter a contest per se but have been selected because of the tank's natural beauty, and they have seen your tank in various stages a few times by now, right?

Yes, that is pretty much correct. There are certain allowable alterations and equipment usage guidelines for these scaping contests whether those alterations be pre or post picture. Certainly trimming, cleaning glass, removing equipment and cleaning sand is a given. I don't see an issue with that. But some are very skilled at using photoshop and will use layer, etc to bring out certain aspects of their tanks. Sometimes these aspects are what the tank does really look like in real-life and sometimes it's not. Certainly anyone can make their reds look more read, etc. I really haven't focused on this end of the hobby yet, since I'm still simply using my Canon S2 IS without any additional equipment.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 04-Jun-2007 15:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I really haven't focused on this end of the hobby yet

yeah, me neither, but I am working on it (at least mentally). I am looking for better camera equipment, mostly in the direction of a flash, and working on some processing software, like photoshop. I have a few pages back in my 125G log an image of the Apisto that I took, followed by a shot that one user made with such a processing tool of the low res image from the fish. There is no comparison, it looks just so much better.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 04-Jun-2007 18:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I always think your pics look incredible

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2007 09:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I always think your pics look incredible

Well thanks Robyn,

That is very nice of you to say. But once you realize that all these super tankers (LOL) cook with water just like you do, you begin to wonder what makes their tanks look so much better. Sure, I am not the best scaper out there by far, but one cannot underestimate the importance of presentation for any product. Amano is the best example: I am sure he would be completely unknown had he taken his tank shots with a camera phone and didn't know what he does about photography,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2007 13:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
BTW - Only kidding with the algae post in LF's log
I knew you would get me back somewhere..

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2007 14:15Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Just a quick update on this tank:

Not much has changes, there are still about 12 Amanos in there and their favorite hobbyist angering task seems to be to eat the Najas Indica. Every other week I have to trim the plant as the lower parts are all eaten up, side shoots are reduced to little stomps.

Here is a replanted top:

Attached Image:

Najas indica

Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2007 12:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
And, to my greatest surprise, the cory die-off stopped a while ago. Out of the original 7 I lost 3 in a rather fast succession. But the other 4 keep on going strong and show the typical cory behavior trades, like perusing the tank as a gang and such. I still have the one with the short barbels, but I assume my worries that the Eco was grinding them down does not seem right as the barbels of the other 3 are still as long as they always have been. Another batch, less imbred, maybe?

Anyway, here they are,

Have fun,

Ingo

Attached Image:

Cories

Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2007 12:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
Kudos: 114
Votes: 137
male usa
EditedEdited by RNJ_Punk
Ingo,

About your concerns with the Eco causing barbel erosion. I have a group of breeding panda cories, and a while ago I switched to Eco for my planted tank where the pandas reside as I was seeing extreme barbel erosion on regular "pea" substrate. A few weeks later the barbels began to grow back and they are now back to thier normal size. Good luck with them. Are you planning to up their number at all? They would love that.

The tank looks great!
Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2007 19:52Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Ryan,

Thanks for the input and info on the cory barbels. It confirms my findings with the latest 3 cories that I got. There must have been something wrong with the first 4, as 3 of them died rather quickly (first one in 24h) and the sole survivor has much shorter barbels than the other group.

For now, I will just hold on to these 4, they are still in the QT and I have to decide where they should go permanently.

Thanks for the compliment on the tank,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2007 20:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Ingo , Love the tank and Photos as always and the Corries are great looking . Sorry to hear that you lost some Oh well thats fishkeeping . I want some of these guys myself . Look forward to seeing how they go for you .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2007 03:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Garry,

thanks for the input,

The cories are doing well for me (now), I don't remember how long they are in the QT already, but certainly way over the recommended stay. I just have to make up my mind where I would like to move them.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2007 13:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Of course, now that I mentioned that the cories are fine, one of them died, all of a sudden. I didn't notice anything special until I got ready for yesterday's water change and I could find only 3.

Only after removing the lid did I see the remains of No. 4, just the armor was left, the approx. 12 Amanos must have taken care of the rest. Sad, but such is nature.

Ingo

Attached Image:

Cory Armor

Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2007 14:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Ingo . Yes indeed fishkeeping is full of highs and lows , sorry for you loss .
Garry
Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2007 13:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
Kudos: 114
Votes: 137
male usa
That sucks Ingo, like Garry said you loose some and gain some. Hope the others do well for you.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2007 14:07Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Hope the others do well for you.

First off, thanks for the input and sympathy, much appreciated.

The others are still doing fine (3 left), I think that once I remove most of the pesky 12 Amanos in that tank then they will be even happier, less competition for the food.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2007 14:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Just a quick update:

I lost another Cory, this means that the remaining two will spend the rest of their time in this tank as I don't think I will make them a permanent installment in any other tank. No more cories for me!

Growth in this tank is also really slow, almost non existent except for the Najas. The wisteria is just barely hanging in. As I am currently not in the mood to increase the ferts and excel treatment, that is how it is gonna be for a while.

Have fun,

Ingo

Attached Image:

8/6/2007

Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2007 13:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 13
female usa us-massachusetts
Wow,

this is an almost bare-lookling Ingo tank! The rocks make a stronge statement, almost Iwagumi style (at least to me ..). Do you plan to add some really small plants to the foreground?
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2007 15:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
Kudos: 88
Votes: 73
male usa
Ingo

Im sorry you are getting frustrated with the cories and that you are having a hard time with your tank. Thanks for your input on my 10 Gallon tho. I hope you have had time to take alook at my 35 Gallon. Are you planning on increasing the plants at the rear of the tank? Why is the Wysteria having such a hard time do you think?

Thanks for your input as always, Shane
http://thetanklog.blogspot.com/ - [ Thanks to ScottF ]
http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah.com/main.html
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2007 16:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Ingo , I love the look of this tank just as it is. Don't think you need to do much more with it to tell the truth .
The rocks with the little bit of greenery around the front and the small amount of larger growth at the back is nearly perfect .
If I had any suggestions at all , it would be to concentrate the larger plants behind the big rock at the centre and keep everything else small .
Anyway still looks great .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 07-Aug-2007 01:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Thanks all for the input,

As I have about 5 min to spare, here is a shot of the same tank 3 weeks later, with no maintenance in between (aka vacation).

The Najas indica grows even in this tank, with ferts added only once after the last water change, like mad. A TRUE WEED!!!

Ingo

Attached Image:

Overgrown Najas Indica

Post InfoPosted 28-Aug-2007 01:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Long time no update, but I finally found the time to document the latest changes.

First of all, the last of the Cories in this tank died last week, none of them ever seemed to have grown at all and probably just hung in. I guess I am not made for Cories but I sure hope the Pygmies in the 29 will do better.

The Wisteria in this tank was also just hanging in and are in the process of being replaced by HM. So far, I probably have planted about 100 individual stems of it, I admire my own patience

As you see in the shot, the resident fish in the tank are some of the platies that used to be in the 29G, also there are at least 5 Amanos still left that I could not catch a while back.

Here is the tank,

Have fun,

Ingo

Attached Image:

10-14-2007

Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2007 00:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

I really like this set up. Simple, elegant, yet somewhat full & the rocks being good interest points.
Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2007 00:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
First of all, the last of the Cories in this tank died last week, none of them ever seemed to have grown at all and probably just hung in. I guess I am not made for Cories but I sure hope the Pygmies in the 29 will do better.

Join the club, I had a hard time with corys when I had them in my 46g, but I always blamed it on the corrupted eco-complete.

The tank looks much better with the HM in front. I like the hardscape with the exception of the tall rock on the right. It doesn't work IMMHO.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2007 14:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Thanks for the input folks,

Tetratech - I agree, the right rock is too large or not needed at all. I will soon remove the 2 Anubias from the 29G and add them to the one in here, maybe I do something in that rock area with them.

But it will take time as I still have to plant about 500 HM stems over the next few weeks/months

Thanks again,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2007 00:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
plankton
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 22
Votes: 7
male canada
Ingo, in it's current state I would probably agree with tetra about the rock, but in your photo from 8/6/2007 - which I have to say is absolutly gorgeous - I think the rock on the right really works. It provides a wonderful contrast.

It's funny that as the plants grow in a tank, the aspect of the hardscape changes as well - without actually changing. For me the ability to visualize what a tank is going to look like after it has grown in is definatly a skill I'd love to work on.

At any rate, damned nice tank for a 20G!

:j
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2007 06:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
For me the ability to visualize what a tank is going to look like after it has grown in is definatly a skill I'd love to work on.

Welcome to the club, Jay

We all have this problem, or at least most of us do. I for sure can say that somehow my tanks don't turn out (in the long run) like I envisioned they would. Close, but different

I appreciate your input with regards to the rock. I guess I will try sometime soon (weeks) to see how it looks without it or with a smaller one.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2007 14:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Just an updated picture of the tank, now that I have added more and more HMs to it. There must be about 200 stems all over the tank, and just for tetratech I went and replaced the large rock on the right with a smaller one. Now the HM has to grow out and then it can be trimmed into shape (which it isn't right now).

Ingo

Attached Image:

11/10/2007

Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 15:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
From where I sit, in terms of color, contrast, use of space is this your best setup at the moment now that you changed the rock on the right.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2007 15:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
As you mentioned, once the HM grows in and you can trim it, the tank will have much more shape. I can already see it peeking out behind the rock on the left and it looks good. Once it all grows in, gets a trim and gets that slope to it it'll be even better.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 14-Nov-2007 16:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Neat look, LF .

Post InfoPosted 16-Nov-2007 02:10Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Thanks guys for the input and compliments, I had to work on getting you folks to say something negative so I decided to neglect the tank for a while, LOL.

Well, I didn't really do it because of that, it was rather based on a lack of time. But being my usual self I thought I show you the tank in an ugly state anyway:

Attached Image:

12/9/2007

Post InfoPosted 09-Dec-2007 18:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
As you can see, there is a row of baby Nanas on the left front, coming from the original 40G layout and are here for storage only, and the rest has just grown to oversize dimensions, at least for this tank.

I further upped the light (96w) as I was not happy with the growth on the way left and right, these stems of HM were just hanging in instead of thriving. I may shorten the light period though, haven't made my mind up about that yet.

Here is the tank with the stronger light,

Have fun,

Ingo

Attached Image:

Also 12/9/2007

Post InfoPosted 09-Dec-2007 18:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
oOooo Lush!

See I can still say something positive .

Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2007 22:59Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
LOL Matty,

Well, the tank got its first trim of the HM, looks ok. No photo of the tank though at this time. I will have to decide on what to do with the row of Nanas though very soon, they just cannot stay right there or in this tank at all.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 24-Dec-2007 15:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Time for a quick update on the tank.

I removed the 96w light after only a few days, I think it was too much of a jump from 40w to 96w. Nothing bad happened though.

I replaced the indica with rotundifolia, as I had loads of it from the 40G, and I put the baby nanas on a stick in the right back.

The HM has been trimmed a while back, don't remember if I posted that already.

Here is the tank,

Have fun,

Ingo

Attached Image:

1/19/2008

Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2008 01:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I like it a lot better without the weeds in the back

Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2008 16:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I can see what Matty is saying about the "weeds' in back but, there was one shot where they were framing that large rock in the center very nicely,a nd I thought that was a great look. I guess the key with stuff like that is to keep up on trimming...

I am going to try liquid ferts with my planted 20g and the new 10g. My plants look ok, the hornwort seems to be dying due to high pH 8.2. So, I am going to go the way of liquid ferts and probably find a more potent light that the 15W I have in the 20g now.

anyhow, thanks for logging, very interesting!
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2008 17:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Ingo ...I'm not one usually for throwing stones ...but this tank looked stunning after the redo ..IMO it has degenerated to having very little form or focus. I think the rotundifolia is a bad choice for this tank ( at least that much of it )
The stunning hardscape has lost its impact .
Just my 2cents worth ... sounds horrible when I read this but thats my honest opinion . No offense intended ..still love your work .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2008 02:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa
Yeah, I love the first couple pics a lot better too.
Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2008 19:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Thank you very much for the input, here are some comments:

Matty - Thanks for the comment on the weeds

ScottF - ferts are good, in particular when used appropriately! Yeah, 15w over a 20G is rather little, and a ph of over 8 is not helping as well. How about a rock and anubias layout? That could work even in the low light and look amazing?

Garry - All comments are welcome, and you are so right anyway. The tank has been greatly neglected, you should see it this weekend (no photo available). A major trim is in order and will happen sometime in the next two weeks.

fish patty - ditto, no offense taken.

I actually like to show my tanks in all kinds of stages, and not only the good ones. It makes it less intimidating when newer hobbyists see that not all is shiny all the time

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 01:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
Ingo,
i think it is good that you are not afraid to show your tank in a bad stage... it shows some confidence and it also does help newer aquarists to feel less intimidated by a tank that may not be the most pristine... but pretty pics do the eye alot of good ...

i like the tank no matter how "bad" of shape it might be in.. every tank has its own character...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 05:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Thanks brandeeno for the reinforcement

I spent some time last week and trimmed all the HM, actually I ripped it all out and replanted the tops. So right now it is really low.

Here is the tank this weekend:

Have fun,

Ingo

Attached Image:

2/18/2008

Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2008 14:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Ingo ...Yep thats the look ..well done .Love the hardscape in this tank and the plants compliment it this way .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2008 14:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Thanks Garry,

It sure looks better, but to be honest with you, I am getting bored of it

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2008 16:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
to be honest with you, I am getting bored of it

Uh oh, we all know what that means.

Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2008 17:17Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Yep ...indeed we do Matty .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2008 02:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
lol i have that problem too ingo! i aquascape and get bored so i change it arround alot... but i dont have very many plants (and that is one reason why i get boreed/why i dont have very many plants)

hope you find something awesome to do with this tank! and if you decide to take out some of those plants ol' brandeeno would love some of them or you could sell them on ebay or aquabid

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2008 04:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Thanks guys for the input,

brandeeno - I am most often too lazy/busy to bother with selling plants, occasionally I trade them at the LFS or at our NJAGC meetings though.

BTW, the HM in this tank does not look all that healthy, I guess my limited water changes and almost no fert addition (and the same goes for Excel) shows by now.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2008 02:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
Kudos: 88
Votes: 73
male usa
Ingo

I know what you are thinking but I do love the way this tank looks. This is my favorite tank I think. But Im interested to see what you have in mind. Please discuss. hehe

Thanks for your input as always, Shane
http://thetanklog.blogspot.com/ - [ Thanks to ScottF ]
http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah.com/main.html
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2008 08:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Shane,

I will never discuss changes to my 20 or 29 anymore, they are the "Surprise" tanks. But if one is careful and follows the things that I play around with then one may find a pattern.

Anyway, I felt like taking a shot of the tank with the flash on and here is the result, just for the fun of it.

Have fun,

Ingo

Attached Image:

20 In Flash Light

Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2008 00:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
This tank is turning into quite the jungle again. It also looks like you have just a ton of fish in this tank. I guess with lower light you can play that game.

Interesting shot with the flash. It gives a different view of things.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2008 13:17Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Not that much of a jungle yet, Wings. That is why I posted the shot, it looks so different than the real tank. Plants are actually still rather low, with the exception of the Rotala stems in the back.

And lower light? I don't think 65W over a 20G are low

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2008 14:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
And lower light? I don't think 65W over a 20G are low
Oh really? I thought you changed it back to 40W. I get lost every now and then.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2008 03:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Ingo ....I like that shot with the flash ...gives a great idea of the rear plants in the tank ..which are hard to see in the normal shots .

It does look like you have a lot more fish in the tank as Wings noted.

We love the suprise value of these tanks BTW . Its great fun when you spring into action

Garry
Post InfoPosted 25-Apr-2008 13:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies