SubscribeBlack Silicon!!!
coop
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 60
Votes: 2
male australia
http://www.selleys.com.au/Selleys-Roof-Gutter-Silicone/default.aspx

this is the only black silicon i could find in my local hardwear store. would it be safe for use in the aquarium
i cant find any black "aquarium safe" silicon and seeing as though this is for roof and gutters, which rain water for drinking may run over, i thought it would be safe?

othe sellys prodacts such as gap filler and bathroom silicons have labelled on them that they are mould and milcew protectant, so i believe as this does not have this on it, it does not contain those additives.

what do you think?

thankyou,
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2009 06:51Profile PM Edit Report 
coop
-----
Enthusiast
male australia
p.s this is not to be used for tank construction, just to go around the edges of a resin 3D background.
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2009 06:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
ok so ill see if i can get some info from a friend when ill get it ill post again but i dont think it will work....... my friends done a lot of diy work......
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2009 08:13Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Have you contacted Selleys at all. If you decide to contact them make sure you tell them it is for a fish tank and EXACTLY what you are doing.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2009 08:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
ok what my friend said is
from the website

Not recommended for use as a plug for burst pipes or below waterline applications
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2009 08:37Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
coop
-----
Enthusiast
male australia
EditedEdited by coop
oh god its just to much effort for me to work this out, i think ill just get the aquarium safe stuff and stick drit onto the surface to blend it in with the rock background
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2009 12:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
if its 100% silicone and has no mold/mildew prevention then it should be fine. ive seen black silicone used many times on backgrounds for better blending. the coloring shouldnt be an issue. its usually anti mold chemicals that are the major concern.
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2009 14:12Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I've known people that have used it without trouble, but I'd just shoot Selley's an email and find out. I'm pretty sure it isn't as strong as the clear so maybe that is why is doesn't say safe for aquariums in case someone tries to use it for building.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 04-Jun-2009 05:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies