Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCleaning aquarium glass panes
stealth114
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 24
Votes: 1
male trinidad-tobago
My aquairums have got really unattractive with limescale smears on the top level water mark and also the exterior. Anyone can recommend how to safely remove it without interferring with the community fishes.. Im thinkinf using a very clean out of the packet scouring pad and just scrub the top level of the glass and then use a wet sponge and wipe? Same for the outside? Any suggestions please...

Thanks!

Hobbyists
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2008 22:25Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
The scale is easily removed from an empty tank with
a scrubby and some vinegar. The acid in the vinegar
dissolves the Calcium and the scrubby helps remove it.

I'd be hesitant to use vinegar in an occupied tank.
A safety razor blade should easily scrape the crust off
the glass. If done with the filter and any air stones
turned off, the pieces would fall to the bottom of the
tank, and be vacuumed up during the water change.

If its on the plastic trim, the razor blade would not be
a good idea either. Just a wet scrubby would be the best
idea then.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2008 22:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
EditedEdited by djrichie
DO NOT use a common dish sponge, most have additive to stop mold from growing on them. The way I clean that up is tank water with a clean and dechor. rag, with ellbow grease. You could buy a tank maintence kit that has a scrubby pad, but becareful not to scratch the glass.

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 14-Jun-2008 04:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I would a razor blade to remove the inside scale BUT I would lower the water level first loosen a little at a time then remove the rest with a GLASS/CERAMIC cleaning scourer some have a sponge one side. Be careful not to let any scale drop back into the tank.

The outside do it the same way this time you can use a wet sponge to remove the scale.

You obviously have a hard water problem. What I would do at every water change wipe the scourer inside the tank when the water has been removed and just before you replace the water.

The outside is possibly caused by spillage and not wiping it clean after a water replacement.

I regularly clean my external glass surfaces with pure Metho I spray it onto a kitchen paper towel first then use a dry paper towel to finally clean the glass.
I have never had a problem cleaning glass this way and I have been using method for more than 30+ years.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 14-Jun-2008 05:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
A lot of the el cheapo scrubbers are fine, just watch the more expensive ones as what DJ said can be true.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 14-Jun-2008 17:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
stealth114
-----
Hobbyist
male trinidad-tobago
Thanks so much everyone.. that was very helpful indeed..

Keith, when u say menth... Do you refer to rubbing alochol
( isopropyl alcohol right?

The inside lime scale isnt that a signifcant to remove with a razor blade....

I will let u know how it goes...

N.

Hobbyists
Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2008 03:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Stealth

Sorry Metho is the short name for Methylated Spirits.

It is the perfect glass cleaner it does not leave streaks.
Perfect for house hold and car windows. Warning dont use if you have a cut on your hands it will sting like *&^)&^_*&^&^

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2008 03:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
stealth114
-----
Hobbyist
male trinidad-tobago
Thanks alot Bro...

U know what cleans glass perfectly without any smearing.. I mean very clean? Just plain old newspapers.. When u are done with any glass, just wipe it with some crumpled dry newspaper. never leaves smears.. Yeah it may get your hands a bit dirty though.. But the glass is always clear. Thats what my folks use to clean glass surfaces

Hobbyists
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2008 03:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
stealth, you know those plastic scrubbing pads they sell for pot and pan cleaning? they have like wovenplasitc fibers or whatever... well i just float one of those in my tnaks and use it to wipe down/scrub off build up and algae weekly or with water changes...plus if i ever get fry, then they hide out in there and i can skip the glass cleaning for a little bit it may not look very good, but it keeps the pad from getting dirty on a shelf/in a box and keeps it from picking up any nasties out side the tank or transfering it from tank to tank...
it works well for me just make sure you dont get too abrasive of ones so you dont scratch your glass... and also make sure you clean it well and dont get one with any chemicals on it!

good luck,
Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2008 02:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
stealth114
-----
Hobbyist
male trinidad-tobago
Hi Brandeeno.

I know of the spongey pot scrubs and then there is the more firm green one like a brillo pad.... its a much toguher synthetic material.. Thanks for the tip... I dont ever have algea build up in my tank... That sure is an unusual home for your fry. lol

I have tried a bit of rubbing alcohol on a cloth for the exterior glass panes and it works good!

Hobbyists
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2008 03:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies