Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeEheim Professional Canister Filters
lil_mikey69
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2380
Votes: 1
male usa
I plan on purchasing either the Eheim Professional II 2026 or the 2028. Is it worth the extra $30 to get the larger canister with more room for filter media? The GPH isn't that different between the 2 filters, but the 2028 holds 2 more liters of filter media. Is that additon filtration space worth the $30? I mean I'm already going to be spending $200, so I may as well spend the extra $30 if there will be noticable benefit from any.

Feedback would be appreciated. FYI it will be for a 75 gallon tank that I plan on stocking with Mbuna. I will also use an Emperor 400 on it.
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2008 22:32Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Personally, I would get the filter with the larger media
sections in it. I also find myself wondering why after
purchasing that "beast" you would run the "400" as well.
If it's just for circulation, a power head or two would
seem to suffice and not need cleaning and media replacement
that the 400 would be an added benefit.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2008 01:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have the Eheim Pro11 2026. It is a fantastic filter well worth the money. The 2026 has plenty of power and filtration for your tank BUT for the extra $30 go for the 2028.
Even with all that power and size it will still require cleaning every month to have it running efficiently at all times.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2008 03:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
Frank i run a smaller canister on my 75 with mbuna. the eheim 2222 rated for a 40g tank. on top of that i run a pengiun 330 and a penguin 350. I dont know about him but i run the added filtration for 2 reasons. spreads the debrie in the filter so cleanings are less often. 2nd reason is the unknown factor. filter dies, clogs, ect.

Something happens to one of my filters there is no issue and it has happened. Use to be 2 pengiun 330s and one of impellars got destroyed from sand. it had to be shut down completly and i went without the 2nd pengiun for 3 months. Never had a mini cycle or any adverse effects.
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2008 04:05Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
lil_mikey69
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Mbuna tanks are often overfiltered because of the mess they generally make. The canister is most for the mechanical filtration while the Emp 400 will help most with biological filtration. And, like Sin wrote if one fails for whatever reason, you always have a back up already running.
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2008 13:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Interesting..
With a Mbuna tank in my future, I was not aware of the
"messy" part of their eating. Good to know and I'll
plan ahead.
Thanks Sin, and Lil..
Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2008 16:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
They are as as bad as plecos due to the constent algae eating. I will admit they dont produce the long nasty strings like a pleco does. Its more like haveing a bunch of rabbits lol. Its heavy like a plecos is too. not easy to keep lifted to get sucked up into the filtration. My tank has like 12x turnover and i have spent MONTHS rearranging in an attempt to get rid of dead spots. Finially got it down to one dead spot i can reach with a vac so its a bittersweet ending.

Frank when you decide to setup the mbuna gimmie a yell ill be more the happy to display my brain on the table for you to pick through lol.
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2008 18:33Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
lil_mikey69
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Does anyone know anything about the Wet / Dry Canister Filter 2229? Seems to be a new(er) product from Eheim.
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2008 01:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Alex
---------------
Fish Addict
male australia
Ive got an eheim wet dry 2227...worst aquatic purchase ive ever made...its good in theory but its loud and extremely unreliable... i really do not recommend anyone to buy this product.

Though i have heard of people with no trouble with these units everyone ive every talked to face to face in Australia thats owned one has said ''its a piece of junk, the only slip up eheim has ever made in regards to canister filters... ''

''All the clown fish and yellow tangs in the world cant save you now!''
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2008 08:06Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
lil_mikey69
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Thanks for the tip. Looks like I'll be sticking with either the 2026 or 2028.

Like you said, it sounds good in theory....I hadn't seen a review of it postive or negative though, so I figured I'd better ask before I bought it thinking it 'sounds good in theory'.
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2008 09:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
Thank you so much for the tip on the wetdry Alex. I almost made a big mistake there. Instead I settled for the Professional 2226 which is a little more expensive than I'd like but had all the features I was looking for including fairly low wattage (20w) compared to cheaper stuff.
Post InfoPosted 27-Aug-2008 03:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies