L# Technical Tinkering
  L# Fluval Filter Flooding Bedroom
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFluval Filter Flooding Bedroom
FinFancier07
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 7
So I recently bought a fish tank that came with a fluval 204 filter. The power went out while I was at work and my filter left a nice big puddle on my floor. I have never had this sort of filter before, and I am hoping this is not normal. I have checked it before and there weren't any leaks. Is this fixable, or is this to be expected every time the power goes out? Should I just buy a new filter?
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2008 22:03Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Regardless of the brand it should not leak when the power go off and comes back on again.
I would run a few tests naturally while you are there watching the filter. Turn it off for at least 15 min then turn it back on again to see if it happens again. It could be a seal.
I am not a fan of Fluval any way but it still should not happen. How old is it and when did you pull it apart and give it a good cleaning? Not knowing how long the power was off I would suggest you give the tank a good dose of a good bacteria,

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2008 02:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 13
female usa us-massachusetts
FinFancier,

most likely a seal is not working properly anymore, check all the connections and replace the seals, spare parts are available in stores. You can do a 'test run' to determine which particular seal caused the leakage but given the fact that you just purchased the unit used and probably don't know much about the age and maintenance of this equipment I would be cautious and replace all of them to prevent future disaster.
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2008 03:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
AquaClear_Fan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 25
Votes: 6
This is one of a few reasons why I don't use canister filters, Ive had these same kind of problems before with my magnum 350 canister filter I had before. Now all I use is Emperor power filters. I have had the same water quality with a good power filter that Ive had with canisters.

17 years experience with freshwater.
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2008 05:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Just wondering, Arent Fluval filters kinda infamous for their leakage? Im not sure if it is because of the power outages, but still.....

Good Luck!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2008 05:46Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I can assure you it does not happen with Eheim Pro11. For some reason mine was turned off for at least 12 hrs the other day and not a problem. Not all canisters are the same could this be one of the reasons Eheim cost more?

When I clean my canister I smear the seal with a silicone grease as recommended by Eheim this stops them from drying out and cracking.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2008 06:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FinFancier07
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 7
Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'm just going to buy a power filter like the emperor. I have two other filters like it on other tanks and have never had any issues. As for Fluvals being leakers, I wish I would have known, I was trying to find info on them and one review gave high rankings but advised multiple "o-rings" to be purchased for backup. Yeah right! So off I go to buy a brand new filter. Any recommendations?
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2008 07:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
A very short reply Eheim best but cost more reason you are buying quality.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2008 10:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies