AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Technical Tinkering
  L# How much bow out is normal on a 29 gallon?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHow much bow out is normal on a 29 gallon?
clippers1996
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 10
Votes: 14
male usa
For those of you that read my previous post about my 5 year old 29 gallon perfecto tank how much bow out is normal on a 29 gallon? I'm getting nervous, as I see a light gap in the front and back of my hood from the glass and frame bowing out...when should I become nervous about this?
Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2007 02:07Profile PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
None. At least not a noticeable amount on a glass tank especially one of that size. It may break in the future if you don't reinforce it.
Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2007 04:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
clippers1996
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Well it's noticeable.....Not good. Time to get another tank?
How exactly would one reinforce it?
Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2007 04:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
I had a similar problem on an old AGA tank a few years back. The tank was at least 10 years old and had been moved while partially full several times by a previous owner, so the tank's structural integrity was far from sound.

Just so we're all on the same page, my measurements of 'bowing out' were taken by putting a straight meter stick on the top of the tank at the corners, and measuring out (with another measuring device) to the farthest point (generally at/near the middle of the front pane).

It always bowed out about 1/8", but over the course of a few months it increased to nearly 1". The back pane , of glass was even worse, I assume, as it had the weight of 3 HOB filters on it and I could visibly see that it was bowing out, too. I was unable to afford a new tank at the time ($40-50), so I temporarily used two of those big clamp on vice grip things that they use for building large furniture to hold the two panes together. I replaced the tank about two weeks later.

I ended up cutting the tank apart and using it as scrap glass o.O

If you can look at the tank from the front and see that it is bowing out, you've definitely got a problem. If you look at the tank from the side (look across the front of the tank from one side with your other eye closed) and you can barely see any bowing out (anything less than 1/8" is generally alright), you should be fine.

Since you can see a light gap on both the front and back of the tank (I'm assuming its not on the edges, just in the middle?), you've definitely got a problem.

Good luck!
Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2007 05:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Not even knowing your tank there should be no bow in it all it could even start to leak at any moment I strongly suggest getting a new one and certainly not that brand, as it looks like a design fault.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2007 05:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Can you drop the water level right down to reduce the outward pressure on the sides and install a top brace for it for the time being? I personally wouldn't use a tank of that size that bowed, its just too much water to clean up. For situations where it could be partially filled, for mudskippers etc, it could still be suitable.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2007 05:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BruceMoomaw
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 490
Votes: 0
male usa
You could also use it very nicely as a terrarium.
Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2007 10:57Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
clippers1996
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Yeah, It's definately visible, but then again I notice things like this. It was one of those hood, light and tank deals. I'll get a new one ASAP. Terrarium, unfortunately not I already have enough tanks to deal with on my work schedule. I appreciate everyone's quick thoughts.
Regards,
Clip
Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2007 13:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
clippers1996
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Well, I measured it when I got home from work today, 1/8" on both panels. Whaddya think? Also do new 29's now come with a center brace on the top of the tank? As mine did not.
Post InfoPosted 03-Oct-2007 00:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
There should be no bow out on a 29G tank its not that wide.
Nor should there be any braces on that narrow a tank.
Generally, they don't start adding braces till you reach
tanks that are 48 or more inches wide.

I'd repace the tank ASAP.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 03-Oct-2007 01:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
EditedEdited by sham
Occasionally 36" tanks come with centerbraces. You could try to add a brace but probably better getting a new one since they are fairly cheap.
Post InfoPosted 03-Oct-2007 02:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
clippers1996
-----
Fingerling
male usa
I called perfecto today, what a bunch of goobs. "If it's not on an perfecto stand we can't tell you how much it's going to bow out." I'll send them some pics, you could set a small car on my stand and it would support it properly. I designed and built it my self, they really didn't think that was as amusing as I. I'll have to get a link for my pics and let you guys take a look. It's rather stout.
Post InfoPosted 03-Oct-2007 22:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
They won't care. Most companies only back tanks set on their stands which sucks because the stands are so overpriced for how little they can take. You can build something for 1/10th the price that holds up 10times as well. I gave up on buying stands. Instead half my tanks are sitting on a giant iron work bench that was left in the basement of this house because it's far too sturdy and heavy to move unless someone wants to try to chop it apart. I tried to move it to the other side of the basement and 4 of us only got it to move 3" and then put it back again. My tanks aren't going anywhere. Even the 90g couldn't make this thing bend.
Post InfoPosted 03-Oct-2007 23:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
clippers1996
-----
Fingerling
male usa
I'm with you Sham, so I said goodbye to the perfecto 29g and hello to an AGA 37. I figured what the heck: more volume, AGA quality, and a cross brace. My tank stand will handle it....1/2" birch plywood with fully boxed 2x4 frame will hold up a car. Sweet end to this thread.
Regards,
Clip
PS Perfecto, adding an O onto the end of a word does not make it quality...case in point the "Yugo"
Post InfoPosted 04-Oct-2007 04:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Carissa
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 37
Votes: 0
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard... "If it's not on a Perfecto stand we can't tell you how much it wil bow".... like there's any correlation whatsoever between what a tank is sitting on and how much bowing the front glass has!! Remind me never to buy that brand of tank.
Post InfoPosted 06-Oct-2007 20:06Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
Actually there can be a huge correlation. Especially when we talk about larger tanks that have more weight and water pressure on the glass. Setting them on uneven surfaces can lead to bowing and breaking even if the tank itself is of high quality. The stand does make a big difference in how long the tank lasts. Slopes and dips in the floor can also lead to damage and eventually breaking of the tank. The problem is most don't think the manufacturer stands are actually of that good of quality especially for the price so while you get a gurantee and replacement of the tank if something happens alot of people feel something is much more likely to happen using the manufacturer's stand than another brand or one they built themselves.
Post InfoPosted 06-Oct-2007 21:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Though sham is of course correct in that a tank must be properly supported with a flat base supporting the entire bottom panel, dead level to gravity, but its one cheap nasty tank to be bowing at the relatively light weight of 30 gallon. The thought of a bowing tank gives me the heeby jeebies. I had a few cheap clearseal tanks years ago that moved in their silicon and front panels ended up sticking out a millimetre or two from a flush fit and that was bad enough.If one of my big tanks bowed in front of me now id probably have a heart attack. One of those breaking would send a small tidal wave up the walls in even ajoining rooms To my mind any tank with a bow in it needs ditching asap.

Post InfoPosted 07-Oct-2007 00:48Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
BM
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 239
Votes: 127
male usa
I would also suggest a new tank. Petland in my area sells 29s for about 35-40 dollars. A small price to pay to avoid a mess, as most tanks 55 or less are usually the most inexpensive part of an aquarium setup.

http://www.fishprofiles.com/site/aquarank.aspx
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2007 15:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies