L# Siphon Question?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSiphon Question?
RLHam3
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 34
Votes: 0
hey so i've got a small siphon and i've been using it for years and have been keeping aquariums for years. but i just went to pick up a 55 gallon from somebody's house(my biggest tank) and i saw him hooking up a siphon to his sink. he said it made water changes easy. but if you put water striat form the sink into the aquarium it's still got chlorine, nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia in it right? am i missing something?

how does having big siphon like that make water changes easy?
Post InfoPosted 06-Nov-2008 23:40Profile PM Edit Report 
checkerboard
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 14
Votes: 8
canada
The device is called a python. It makes water change easier because you don't have to carry water to and from the tank. If you have a large tank, this can save a lot of work.

People usually add dechlorinator directly into the tank.

Water straight from your sink shouldn't contain nitrites and ammonia. If it does, there is something wrong with your water source.
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2008 01:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
the only draw back is you have to run the water in order to syphon water out, so you waste water (in most places have "droughts this is BAD).

It does however save time and is easier. Its all a matter of pesonal preferece. I like the old fashio lugging buckets way

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2008 02:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Other than nothing but a big water waste A BIG BIG NONO in Aust. Even if I was allowed to do it I am sure in fact I know I would always be having problems if its not Chlorine, Ich and a ??? at the moment which can kill all my good bacteria in one water change.
Beside a little exercise wont hurt any one.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2008 03:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Boogeyman
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
Ive always siphoned my water out, then hooked a water hose (with a $2 adapter)up to the kitchen sink in order to fill up the tank. Add 1 drop of Genesis chlorine treatment per gallon of water replaced and good to go. Just do your best to match the water temp when filling up the tank. Shouldnt have any nitrates or ammonia present.
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2008 06:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by TW
Hi,

Like Keithgh, I'm in Australia. So I would never use a python to syphon water out of the tank (due to drought). Some say once you get the suction going, you can turn off the tap. Tried it, but didn't work for me. The suction was not strong enough with such a long hose to syphon out the debri, only water. But it did work for others.

Some water supplies do have nitrates &ammonia present (mine for example)

When you add tap water straight to the tank, IMO you should dose dechlorinators for full tank capacity (instead of just for the amount of water you are changing) so you do go through more chemicals that way. Whether all dechlorinators state this in their instructions, I don't know, but certainly Prime does.

I think most of the old planted tank gang (tetratech, LF) changed their water with a python without issue, but it didn't suit my circumstances (though I did try it). Wingsdlc might do it that way too (not sure).

I now have a food grade water storage tank, with aged, heated & treated water. A pump and a long hose send the clean water into my tank when I need it. Makes water changes a breeze.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2008 03:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies