Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTank Leaning
art-fish
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 12
Votes: 0
female usa
My house leans slightly down hill. What is the best way to keep a 75g tank level before I set it up?

I'm all ready to rip up the carpet and the foam underneith to get to the plywood. That way theres no other directions the water might want to go in. Some people say to put another peice of pw directly under the stand to distribute even more weight. But how exactly would I go about doing something like that?

Owner of 20g with 7 diamond tetras, 1 mosquito eater,& 1 lyretail molly.
Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2007 07:07Profile PM Edit Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
They sell some foam tank blocks, that will evenly distribute the weight, and level it, thus reducing and preventing cracking.

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2007 07:45Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
You have not stated what type of tank stand you have and how big a lean it has to start of with. I would not even think of answering this until I had all these details sorry.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2007 07:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Optimusprime
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 6
male canada
Do you rent or own the house ?

were is the tank located basement or main floor ?

there are several wrong ways to level a aquarium and a few correct ways.

once the questions posted by me and Keith are answered i would be happy to help as well.

"All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was."
Toni Morrison.
CHECK MY PROFILE FOR PICTURES.
Post InfoPosted 09-Dec-2007 01:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
art-fish
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 12
Votes: 0
female usa
The house in which we own, already leans downhill no mater where you are. The whole house is leaning, tilted... whatever.
It would be the main floor, there is no basement,
I am going to build a pine wood cabinet stand for the tank.
I just need to now how to counter-act that gentle slope. It isn't a major angle you wouldn't notice it unless you put a marble on a flat surface. I would just prefer that the water level in a tank that size be as even as possible.

Thank you for any help that you can give.

Owner of 20g with 7 diamond tetras, 1 mosquito eater,& 1 lyretail molly.
Post InfoPosted 10-Dec-2007 07:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
The answer is simple if you are going to build a cabinet make the base part of it to the slope. Q how do I measure the slope use a spirit level and measure the gap then make the base to size.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 10-Dec-2007 07:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
i dont know if i would build the cabinet to match the slope. Someday you might move or want to fix the slope by levelign the main beam who knows.I would build the cabinet level liek it should be then cut shims to match the angle. Or use some type of adjustable legs. I would think of something but once you build a cabinet to match a angle its diffacult to recut to fix the issue if things change.
Post InfoPosted 10-Dec-2007 15:14Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Sin I taught the trade for 26 years and that is how it is done. If in a case of shifting it is just re leveled. Shims totally useless in this case as they do not spread the load evenly it is placed at pressure points along the base line.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2007 04:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
EditedEdited by Sin in Style
no reason to get defensive keith. Was just my opinion.

what about building a level base with a 2nd base with the angle cut screwed into the bottom. so if things change can just remove the angle cut.
Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2007 16:25Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
fish479
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 48
Votes: 3
male usa
EditedEdited by fish479
Being in the trade as well when I made my stand I shimmed it level to the floor and also tied the cabinet into the wall with two 4 inch by 5 inch by 20 inch long "box beams" I made up.I used the beams so the cabinet would stand off the wall to create space for running electrical wires and plumbing. I leveled each beam vertically on the wall and attached them with long screws into the wall studs then I screwed the cabinet to the beams. With the cabinet attached securely to the wall, the wall helps carry some of the load and there's no chance of it tipping over.

Here's a link to a photo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/hesters479/455.jpg
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2007 17:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies