L# Technical Tinkering
  L# low cost tank cooler
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribelow cost tank cooler
ztb23
Hobbyist
Kudos: 137
Votes: 0
With spring rolling in and my family not wanting to turn on the AC, my house is getting very hot, meaning temperatures in my aquariums are getting very high. The digital thermometer in my 10 gallon aquarium is reading 85 degrees F. That needs to be brought down now. What are some things I can do to keep the temperature down and keep it stable, without spending a lot of money on a bulky aquarium chiller? I only need to bring it down by 5 degrees.

All comments and suggestions, as always, are greatly appreciated.
Zach
Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2014 02:34Profile PM Edit Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Open the cover (as long as you don't have fish that jump) and have a fan blow across the surface. This should give you those 5 degrees pretty well through evaporative cooling.

><>
Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2014 03:27Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
ztb23
Hobbyist
Excellent. That will work perfectly. I do have guppies in the tank and I've been leaving the top open to let heat escape, but so far not a single one has jumped out. I got a new one today though so I'm not sure if he will jump or not.

Thank you very much.
Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2014 03:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
You can also create your own raidiator using aquarium air hose. Take a frame, say a metal shelf from inside an oven and weave the airhose under and over the metal rods. Start at the top and weave the hose from the top to the bottom across the shelf. Connect one end to a pump and the other end back into the tank. Connect the top of the assembly to the tank where suction and gravity will cause the water to come from the top inch of the tank water and the other end is pumped back into the tank and comes out at gravel level. Place the assembly in front of a fan so the air is forced against the assembly.

Some college students, stick the assembly in one of the small "dorm" refrigerators (a cubic foot or so) and use it instead of the fan, for more efficient cooling. Some use a piece of solid air tubing so the refrigerator door gasket does not crush the air hose.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2014 21:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ztb23
Hobbyist
That's a really cool idea. To pump the water through, I could just find some way to hook it into the intake of the filter. The rest would be easy.
Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2014 22:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
If one end is lower than the other in the tank, and it's completely filled with water, the water should move through the line passively the way Frank has described. It's the same concept as a siphon.

><>
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2014 00:48Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
ztb23
Hobbyist
Will a siphon work when fully submersed?
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2014 08:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 09-Nov-2014 06:21
This post has been deleted
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies