SubscribeSick Goldfish
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
A friend has a black goldfish, the type with the puffy eyes. It is sick, but we don't know what is wrong. The skin that surrounds the puffy eye has gone a gray colour and his fins are looking like they are stuck together. There doesn't appear to be any fungus or other spotting to the fishes body. He's eating okay, but spends all his time in a cave that is in the tank. He only comes out to feed. she has taken her water sample to LFS to be tested and they told her the parameters are all fine (eg ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 20). The temp in the tank is about 28degress (82.4F). The tank is 55G. Water 25% change about every 10 - 13 days (maximum between changes 13 days). I hope this is enough information for you to be able to help this sick fish.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2006 13:20Profile PM Edit Report 
Bob Wesolowski
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1462
male usa
One problem is that the water is too warm. Goldfish would do better if the teperature was in the 70s. It may be a problem achieving that temperature down under without a chiller. Although nitrates are 20 ppm, the fish may perk up by shifting the water changes to a regular schedule or every 7 days.

Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2006 15:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
LAZY and I don't care :D
Kudos: 360
Votes: 293
female usa
I concur...way too hot for a goldfish. It will stress the poor thing out and eventually kill it.I'm thinking icreased water changes (30% every week at least maybe twice a week) and cool that thing down slowly to 75 or less if you can.

~~Melissa~~
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder."
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2006 16:31Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
Thanks for the advice. I'll pass it all on. The temperature isn't because of a water heater, that's just how hot the temperature in her house is making her tank. I know for sure she can't afford a chiller and she doesn't have air conditioning - but I'll suggest maybe a fan blowing on the open tank. That was suggested to me also, when my tank reached 31 degress.

So do you think the temp is causing the problem around the eyes & fins?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2006 00:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Certaing a temperature problem to start of with. I also would add a lot of airation, 30% water change weekly. Is the water treated first with dechlorinator?

Are there any lights and a top on the tank?

This will increase the heat as well.

Floating a few ice cubes could also help

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2006 03:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Id also turns the lights off, if there is a fungal infection, it will help reduce symptoms. A lot of fungal infections are not always immediately apparent. It could also be the beggining of velvet.If the lights are contributing to tank temperatures it may be better to leave them off,a goldfish can tolerate an unlit tank as long as the room is bright for many weeks. Do up the oxygenation, a coldwater fish will due to principles of oxygen absorbtion in colder water be used to a higher amount of o2 than tropicals, take it seriously, it might help save its life.

The eye could be pop-eye, so its possible your test readings might be off. Goldfish can cause incessant ammonia spikes in small tanks. Whats the tanksize?
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2006 15:16Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks for everyone's advice. Tank size is 55G. I'll pass all the advice on. Is there a med for pop eye that I could suggest to her?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2006 00:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
shell
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 0
Hi,
I managed to get the tank water down a fair bit, especially with the cold weather down here. However the poor little guy got worse and died on Sunday morning.

The tank water is now sitting at around 20 degrees so, its at least 10 degrees cooler.

Thanks for the Help.
Shell
Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2006 04:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies