Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
I hope the storm that passed through didnt cause you all too much damage.

Adrian headed up there on business today, he's worried another storm will happen while he is there. He stresses out too much.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 18-Nov-2008 02:14Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
EditedEdited by Babelfish
Ah most of the storms are over, tis just raining up this way.

Adam and I were very lucky. The old house had its driveway washed out, here we have very saturated bark littered ground and only one downed tree that fell no where near the house, though Adam had to drag it back off the road.

Few minutes away Adams brother and his wife lost their clothesline to a tree, and a mailbox to the wind. They had some flooding into the garage and laundry (?) area, but are tons luckier than their neighbors that as BIL claims, "now have gum trees as feature walls."

North of them 23 power poles in a row got ripped out of the ground. We used to live right near where the guy drowned photographing in a storm drain. What is weird is driving around you'll see big established gum trees ripped up by their roots and five minutes down the road see hardly a leaf on the ground.

Here's a few pics taken during the storm:

Water flowing off the roof and over the gutters, front porch.

My low water plants get a little more than they need.

In the backyard our tame ducks 'ducduck' and her mate decided to try weathering out the storm. You can see the bark litter that was blown across the yard, and the rain pouring down.

Nearly empty when we first moved in, our two 5,000 gallon tanks are more than overflowing.

A few of the bushes around the house have blown over as well and need staking.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 18-Nov-2008 03:10Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
You can count your selves very lucky, We could do with some of that water down south but in our dams. Most of your water would wash away and not into dams I suppose?

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 18-Nov-2008 04:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
I saw a banner go by about heavy storms in Australia,
but there was nothing in the evening news..
You guys got a real "Gully Washer" down there.
Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 18-Nov-2008 08:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
It makes ya feel good when the water tanks fill up!
Glad you survived reasonably unscathed! Send the rain down to us now please?

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 18-Nov-2008 09:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Well the rain seems to be sticking around hampering recovery efforts.

Keith, according to SEQ water, dam levels as of this morning were only at 41.46%. Still people are arguing that the gov no longer needs to go through with recycled water. Personally I still think it needs to go through, for the powerplants and industrial uses if nothing else.

Drove over to Adams brothers today, driving through The Gap which was the hardest hit area. Two schools still closed, Army is here and any and all trucks seem to be employed to remove trees and fallen debris. A friend of ours in the police acadamy is slated to go assist with the recovery work.

Trucks lined up ready to be put to use

The army and army reserves have been brought in to assist

Upturned trees are everywhere, the trees that are still standing have been stripped of their leaves (Northern Hemisphere residents, remember we're in mid-late spring here, and havent got many deciduous trees in anyway).

Broken and downed trees line the roads and are still all over yards.

They're being dealt with as quickly as possible

Plenty of roads are still blocked, some with trees, others with piles of mulch waiting to move

All sorts of trucks are being used

Including army and quarry trucks.

Energex has been working since the storm lessened to get power back on. Generators are being brought to areas with downed lines, elsewhere crews wait behind mulching trucks.

Since power is still down major intersections get police direction. Luckily most of our local streets have round abouts so there is no traffic hangups.

Crews are around everywhere. Assisting and reporting. We passed one tv crew, and I pointed out one radio reporter who we later heard doing the phone interview on triple J we saw him phoning in as we were stopped outside of one of the schools.

Of course the damage wasn't just limited to the trees. We saw plenty of blown fences, toys, and structures.

Our back yard is now ankle deep, and yes, overly full watertanks are great. The continual rain is nice for the dams, shame it cant be evened out throughout the year and not just the one week!

^_^

Post InfoPosted 18-Nov-2008 09:55Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Oleta
---------------
---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
You can\'t rollerskate in a buffalo herd
Kudos: 2260
Votes: 186
usa us-texas
wow, what a mess
Post InfoPosted 18-Nov-2008 16:08Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Its always the way drought and then too much water in one hit to do anything but cause damage, and then you got winds to boot. Can't win. That ruined shed just breaks my heart

I'm so glad you guys are all ok. Bummer on the driveway though, had the house been sold yet?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 18-Nov-2008 16:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
Just heard that with the additional rain that has been everywhere today that there's been a landslide behind a few of the houses at The Gap. The places were evacuated and the SES were trying to stabilise the area, but apparently it has slipped and damaged a few houses and a car.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2008 17:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
What alot of chaos!

Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2008 00:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
yeah we had more wind and rain last night, I remember waking up and asking adam to close the window since it was raining on me

Some areas got an additional 10", 25/26 cm. Since it's been raining and overcast since the storm hit creeks are overflowing their banks and there's just no where for the water to go so it's flooding roads and tunnels.

The reservoir that had its roof collapse (US residents, it's a big cement water tank with a tin roof) had to be drained as they confirmed contamination yesterday. That was the water for over 1K residents of, you got it, The Gap and surrounding areas. On the bright side they are saying that the dam levels may be up near 50% by the end of december. And todays been sunny so far so that the ground may get a short chance to dry out, so long as the afternoon storms don't drop it right back down on us!

Hope Adrians doing ok up here Lindy

^_^

Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2008 00:40Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Going by the TV news tonight looks like more is on the way. Thinking of you both try to keep dry and safe

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2008 11:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
yep, another 26,000 without power, the storms came at us from N,S,E&W and yet somehow missed us. I have a feeling they headed straight for The Gap

Here's some photo galleries from the news sites
Storm Cleanup

Last nights flooding

^_^

Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2008 12:47Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
What are the purpose of the water tanks?
Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2008 19:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
In our case it's our water supply, in the case of a whole town it's similar to a water tower, they're built on the highest point of the town and holds the water supply. Water is pumped up to keep the water under pressure

Since the roof collapsed on that one dumping debris and bird droppings into the water the whole thing had to be drained to avoid contaminated drinking water.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2008 23:50Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
I got to watch the storms travelling over Brisbane. Even though I am about 30km from Brisbane as the crow flies, we got some pretty impressive winds. No damage though as most of our trees are short, hense the name of our town Lowood.
We only got a disappointing 6mm of rain from the Sunday night storms. Here is a photo looking to the North side of Brisbane. The clouds were just a bubbling cauldron and at one point a tornado was about to form but fortunately it stopped.

Wednesday night was our turn for rain, yay! We got 93m in 2hrs and over half filled our empty tanks. Other areas got a whopping 243mm. Less wind and direct lightning this time.

One sad thing was a local elderly lady drowned when her car was caught in flood waters. I know how easy it can happen as I was just going home after an earlier storm and hit low flood water then with the car. I shudder to think how bad it was after the bigger dumping of rain.

We have been lucky not to lose power both times but just to be safe, I now have 6 battery operated airpumps at the ready. I would hate to lose any fish just because of power interruptions.
Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2008 13:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
I cannot resist it, I gotta put it in.
Here is hubby with his makeshift hail hat. He was racing around the yard covering our solar snake repellers so they wouldn't get hail damaged. Dogs thought it was great fun but hubby got a little deaf from the noise on his tin hat.
Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2008 13:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
You married ned kelly!!!!

see, I know my aussie history!

93metres of rain?!

nice cloud pics , we almost couldn't see the clouds for the rain. More storms predicted for sat eve.

PS: errr adam would like to know WTH a solar snake repeller is, and I'd like to know if it works on annoying neighbors or plovers .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2008 14:46Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
93mm, you know what I mean't.
Snake repeller only repels snakes and they seem to be working as we haven't had any snakes for weeks which is highly unusual. http://www.stop-snakes.com/AUSTRALIA%20PAGE.htm
Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2008 17:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Oh my. How innapropriate.
Lets belt them with sound waves to stop them from coming anywhere near where they live.
If people had these for dogs there would be riots.
The snakes were there before you.
Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2008 21:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies