Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFunny thing in U.S. stores
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Okay, I know this is trival. But... stores in the U.S. freak out when you tell them "no bags". Even if you have the "eco-green" bags in hand, they will ask you "Are you sure?" I have several canvas and eco bags in my car. I never, if ever, remember to take them in the stores with me. I simply forget or I'm in too big of a rush to grab them out the back seat. I doesn't matter if I buy 30 items or just one, I always get asked "Are you sure?" Tonight, I purchase 2 binders and 2 binder pockets and was asked "Are you sure?" Then I was stopped at the door with receipt in hand. I was asked to show the reciept and "Why didn't I get bags? You should have gotten bags."

A woman drove up at Christmas as I was loading my car, and said, "Oh my goodness the store must be empty. They don't have bags for the customers!" I laughed so hard I almost dropped a jar. I explained to the lady that I don't get bags, since I have them in the car and it's only a few steps from the driveway to the house once I'm home. Her reply was "Oh good, I can go shopping then." Being the devils advocate, I told her the store was poorly stocked (which it was, being the Holidays and all).

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2009 06:20Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I noticed the same thing ages ago, "are you sure" like I'm speaking russian backwards with a lisp!

Here in oz, many stores have a 3 item policy, you won't get a bag unless you ask for one if you don't purchase 3 items. Other stores have taken the same approach germany (well I know aldi stores in germany do it anyway!) and you pay per bag, usually just 10cents. Of course when that hit the news here everyone freaked out, which makes you wonder considering most stores sell the reusable ones for 99 cents!

I've been really good about using our green bags, we have one insulated bag for the fridge stuff, and I just fold up the other bags and drop them back in the car, although right now, looking over my shoulder I see that they're still in the dining room .

I have a fold up one that zips shut that I like (except that it's really small) cause it can fit in my purse easy and can always go with me (course I have no clue where it is right now!).

Spotted this article a while ago on GU
green eyed monster

^_^

Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2009 06:40Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited by Joe Potato
Okay, I know this is trival. But... stores in the U.S. freak out when you tell them "no bags". Even if you have the "eco-green" bags in hand, they will ask you "Are you sure?"

Us retail peons have become conditioned to not believe anything a customer says. We are just trying to cover our butts and not give a customer anything to complain to the manager about. I remember I used to take customers at their word. After I got burned by that a few times, I triple-check everything with them. You'd be surprised how often answers #1 and #3 are different.
Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2009 07:07Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
Its getting to the point where we all may soon have to
pay for the grocery bags. Either plastic, paper, or
reusable. The latest proposal was to charge .06 per
plastic bag. .03 went to the store, and some other
entity got the other .03. At the same day I heard that
the local supermarket (King Soopers) was selling the
cloth bags 10 for $10. I probably should have gotten

We normally to our monthly shopping at one of the warehouse
stores (SAMS Club) and because we have a truck, bags
just don't work as by the time we get home they
have tipped over and the contents are sometimes all
the way forward and nearly under our feet.
Instead, we have picked up several of the "flats"
that they use to transport Strawberries, etc.
They are made of a couple of layers of thick cardboard,
and easily hold all the goods in one place. When we
arrive at home, an hour and a half later, everything is
still corraled in the back of the truck.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2009 09:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan

I usually do a lot of shopping at Costco, which like Sams Club, doesn't use bags. They will give you the option of using the cardboard boxes that are left over from stocking the store. (You're usually buying large quanities, so you don't need bags.) When I go to a butcher shop, I let them give me bags, even if I have my eco-bags. (I just don't want blood, and meat bacteria in my eco-bags or leaking the car.) Any major chains I go to, I just tell them "no bags", whether I have the eco-bags in hand or not.

My husband started us on the eco-bag thing to be proactive. He noticed a lot of stores charging for bags. He also noticed we were being overrun by bags in the house. He simply stated we should avoid them when we don't need them. But it gets comical when you try to do it at the store. The cashiers are at a loss.

I've also witnessed the flip side. I've seen people act as if they are being cheated when they don't get a bag. I've seen people try to put a gallon or more container of anything in a bag. The item clearly won't fit but they have to have a bag. Sometimes I think we're worse than sheep.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2009 04:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited by keithgh
Some of our stores have a "No Bag" policy but the funny part is now we are buying plastic bin bags. Can some one please explain that then.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2009 07:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Good point keith!

I don't feel totally bad when we do forget to grab our greenbags, or when adam brings milk home in a plastic bag. I do not throw them out . If they have a rip or big hole in them, they get bagged up to go back to the store for recycling. Otherwise the get used for the kitchen trash can.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2009 08:49Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
robbanp
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 808
Votes: 205
male sweden
Here in Sweden you always pay for the bags. At least at grocery stores and such. It has been that way for as long a I can remember (at least 20 years).

So here I am once more...
Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2009 23:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Where abouts in sweden are you robb?
I have a friend in Linkoping.
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2009 04:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
robbanp
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 808
Votes: 205
male sweden
All way down south. I live outside Helsingborg, where it is as closest to Denmark if you see a map. My wife has a sister in Linköping though. We're going there for her wedding come summer.

So here I am once more...
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2009 19:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies