Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
Yesterday we had record heat temperatures in Vic, and of course the fire bugs couldn't resist the combinations of heat and wind. Whole townships have been wiped out, lots of beautiful forest is gone or in extreme danger, and worst of all two of my closest friends have not been heard from.
I hope all aussies that visit FP are safely out the way of the fires.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2009 03:17Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
oh dear Lindy that's not good news, I hope your friends come out of it all ok !

^_^

Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2009 03:43Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Lindy
Those fires must have been too close or comfort for you.
I prey that your friends are safe.

My son in King Lake Vic (massive fires) the fire stopped at his back door main home 10.30 pm last night while he was talking to me. He had to stay no way out all roads blocked He lost a smaller home, 2 cars on works truck (his bosses) on his 6 acre property. But he is safe many others were not so lucky in that area. The other son is only 20 min drive from another big fire disaster area.

The TV news is so bad at the moment I can not watch it and Marg has been brought to tears more than once.
It is know some fires were deliberately lit by fire bugs.
Today and tomorrow rain and thunder/lighting storms predicted, which will/can start more fires

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2009 04:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
I have just heard that King Lake is 80% destroyed, Marysville is no more. 35 people reported as dead they are expecting it to be more. Beautiful townships gone..

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2009 04:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
i dont understand fire bugs.!
how they can get joy from causing such deadly fires..
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2009 04:44Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I've just seen that the Murrundindi Mill fire joined Kinglake. I have a friend who's family lives at Taggarty, and they are safely (for now) in Alexandra but the house is smack on the edge of heavy bush that has had no fire through in 26 years. They were saying last night that the house was gone. I was there about 9 months ago, the surrounding bush is just fuel from one end to the other. They are going to need a miracle to stop that front.

Where are your friends?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2009 06:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
One is in Dedrang, which is near Mt Beauty. I have heard reports that the front is about to hit there. Ash is falling..
The other between Marysville and Heallesville.
I just cant express my sadness at all the destruction around me. Alot of the towns and areas affected I visit regularly. Or used to.

Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2009 06:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
The news that's coming up from down there is not at all pleasant .

Adam just told me it's up to 84 dead and that the bugs are intentionally relighting fires after they've been put out.

We watched the special news reports that were on tonight, Lindy I cant imagine what it's like .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2009 13:05Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
EditedEdited by Lindy
Its just terrible. Burns units in the hospitals are nearly at capacity, a large number of patients are not expected to survive their injuries.
Still no word from friend in Dedrang. Other is okay, but still on high alert.

Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2009 13:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
I just got a call from another friend who has heard from Lisa in Dederang. The people that have chosen to stay have congregated together. Wind has dropped but they are surrounded from 3 directions..

Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2009 14:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
it just gets worse and worse.

I heard there were 3 more on the death toll from Taggarty, so I'm guessing it has moved through the township there also.

The news sites just are not updating anywhere near fast enough (

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2009 15:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
I cannot believe a tragedy of this magnitude has not
made it into the top of our news pages up here. Were
it not for FP, I would not have known what was going on.

Our hearts and prayers go out to you all.

Sincerely
Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2009 16:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
Kudos: 1038
Votes: 4366
male usa
this is absolutely terrible news. the same thing happened here in the LA area last fall with one of the suburban communities over 50% destroyed. i truly hope they catch the arsonists responsible, that is just inexcusable behavior.

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2009 20:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Today, the first coverage of the fires hit AOL along with
a film clip and dozens of pictures.
Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2009 22:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
The official count today Mom am news is 108 and still counting.
Bad news our side eldest son has now lost every thing in King Lake but family all safe(for non locals there is no lake). Another close call the niece on a farming property in Gippsland is safe but the fire came too close for comfort. Another niece State legal service is doing support work. She told he mother it was raining ash and smoke. My youngest son is doing support in the King Lake area. This is when it hits hard when it becomes family. Then we have the poor people up northern Aust flooded out.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 09-Feb-2009 01:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Keith! so sorry to hear about your family, glad everyone has survived though!

Lindy, glad yours are safe so far.

I've had two of my uncles from the states mail me now checking in that I'm ok.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 09-Feb-2009 02:33Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Finn
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 5
Votes: 0
female australia
It is certainly a terrible site to watch the news of late with what is happening in Victoria.
Got a call last night from my mum to say my brother and his wife had been evacuated on Saturday from Bendigo - there was nothing on the news regarding that fire so was a shock to the system.
I can't believe that the little "buggers" are relighting fires again in this day and age - it is really upsetting.
We are in NSW and the fires here are no where near the extreme they are in Victoria.
Makes you really appreciate life and all your family and friends in times like these - my thoughts are with everyone.
Post InfoPosted 09-Feb-2009 04:41Profile MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
EditedEdited by keithgh
FIRE DETAILS

This will give the non Victorians and Aussies the total damage it has occurred.
My son lived No 4-5 King Lake

At the moment we can not watch any news.

Local banks and some shops are collecting in a big way. The Salvation Army are also collecting in Shopping centres and when talking to them they feel hopeless they just dont know what to do people want roofs over their heads most of all.

All I can say if you see a collection tin PLEASE HELP every cent counts.

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 09-Feb-2009 07:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
robbanp
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 808
Votes: 205
male sweden
I sure wish I could send you some of our cold and snow, it might have done some good.

I heard the news and thought I had to check in and see that you are all okey. I'm thinking about you and hope for effective damage control.

So here I am once more...
Post InfoPosted 09-Feb-2009 19:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Hey robb, if they don't want it I'll sure take some of the cold!

Now, as a child growing up in the good old USA, I was under the impression that koalas never drank water, just eucalyptus tree leaves, which I'd always understood were rather low in nutritional value and somewhat poisonous to most other animals and this is why koalas didn't run around much.
Before the fires were the heat waves down south. Soaring temperatures coupled with it being a rather dry (except for the northern part of queensland which is currently flooded and cut off from the rest of the world!) meant that the news was full of viewer videos of ice blocks melting on roads and tennis courts, and of all things plenty of photos of koalas drinking water!

Adam sent me this photo from one of the news sites, somehow to me it shows that even when everything else is gone, the spirit of an area can still live on.

CFA or the country fire association is similar to the VFA in US.... and man I wish I'd been there to get that photo!

^_^

Post InfoPosted 10-Feb-2009 01:22Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies