AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# C02 - Solenoid Valve - Do I need it?????
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeC02 - Solenoid Valve - Do I need it?????
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
Hi again

I know I don't need a solenoid valve, but I've found a regulator for sale on ebay and it includes a solenoid valvue. The thing is, it's the best deal I've found so far for a regulator. Seller tells me the thread on the regulator will fit Aussie gas bottles, so it seems ok.

What I'd like to know if anyone has used this one, or even used this same brand for something else to know if their products are usually ok. Also, the last link I posted of a regulator, Bensaf told me it didn't have a needle valve. Can anyone tell if the needle valve is there on this one. I'll ask the seller, but confirmation from anyone here who can tell by the pic would be great. Here is the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7748918683&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:AU:1 The seller is a hobbyist, who had one surplus to his needs - so no others when this one goes. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice before the auction time runs out.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2006 00:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
EditedEdited by Wingsdlc
That one does have the needle valve. It is the thing right off the solenoid.

Do you know what the Curancy different is from Aus to US?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2006 01:45Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Wingsdlc

Thanks for clearing up the needle valve issue.

I just punched the numbers into an online currency converter & came up with AU$189 = US$138.66. Here in Oz, these things are more expensive than in the US. At LFS, considering I can even find one that stocks these, cheapest so far is AU$246 - with no solenoid (US$180.49). I still have a few sources that are yet to get back to me with prices, so maybe I'll yet find a better price.

Are you thinking of bidding too??? Or were are you just comparing costs to what you can get there in US?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2006 01:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I have a system I was just wondering what the price was like compared to wahat I have into mine.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2006 03:44Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
so, how did it compare?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2006 03:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 1315
male ireland
Yes it does have a needle valve, it's the brass knob above the black solenoid. Also if you read the buyers describtion he states clearly that needle valve is included

It's not a bad price.Shipping ? Looks perfect.

Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

Remember that age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.
Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2006 04:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Mine was about 107 bucks on sale. Before the discount I think it was about the same as yours. Mine also came with a timer, 20 of airline, and a glass diffuser.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2006 05:03Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks guys, I'm going to bid on it.

Bensaf, I did see the mention of needle valve after I posted but still, it was good to get the planted expert's opinion on if it's ok product or not. Also, it is soooo cheap compared to others I've found. The seller seems great, has told me if I'm the winner I can ring him & he'll talk me through setting it up, as he has his own connected to a BOC bottle - exactly what I want to do.

Unfortunately, there is competion and another bidder on the item - so who know's if I'll be lucky or not. I'll let you all know how I go. I hope I get it, I hope I get it , I hope I get it !!!

As I may miss out, still putting out feelers sourcing alternative prices. Next problem is a lot of the regulators out there, LFS can't tell me if it will fit the BOC bottles, or not. I think I'll start a sep. thread asking for Aussies that use BOC rented bottles, what brand of regulator they have. That should help.

Thanks again - you guys are great.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2006 05:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hello again

If you ask enough questions, there are all sorts of nice people out there willing to help out.

BOC (the people who can rent the gas bottle for $9.00 a month) tell me I can buy a regulator from them for $122.33 plus GST. This regulator includes what they call a Flow Meter. The Flow Meter is apparently the same as a Needle Valve (so say BOC).

Do any of you know what a Flow Meter is and if you do, would you agree it's the same as a Needle Valve?

I'll add this question to my new BOC thread too.

So my prices are coming down & my options are going up.

I might still bid on the ebay item, 'cause of the solenoid. Also, because the seller said he will help me figure out how to put it all together & I'm a little worried about doing that. But if I miss out on that, I don't really need the solenoid - it's just an extra toy - so the BOC one it will be (if anyone here can tell me the flow meter is the same as needle valve). The BOC technical guy was really helpful, went away and spoke to his other technical people & rang me back several times. He seemed to understand what I am wanting to do, so it sounds quite good to me. What do you all think?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2006 07:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
EditedEdited by bensaf
Do any of you know what a Flow Meter is and if you do, would you agree it's the same as a Needle Valve?

Know what it is and the answer to your question it may or may not work.

Flow regulator's are standard equipment in the welding trade where Co2 is mixed with Argon. They are very easy to find and way cheaper then the normal regulator.

They can work in some cases. I've actually got one running on one of my tanks And very nicely too. (long story as to why I'm using it )

The main difference is the flow regulator won't give the precise control of the needle valve. It certainly won't give the low 1 bps rate of a needle valve. But if you're careful about setting it at the lowest you can get it as low as 3-4 bps. Now if you have a big enough tank that needs that kind of rate , fine, it'll work fine and dandy. But if you need a lower bubble rate then that it probably won't cut it. So you'll have to remind me what size your tank is.

Also the output pressure is preset, this make it less adaptable then a normal regulator but the preset pressure is fine for our use. The fact that it's preset is another reason why it cheaper. Because it's preset it only has one dial, for the tank pressure so as you know when it's running out of gas.

Also the barbs (where the tubing is connected to the regulator output) are usually too big for normal aquarium airline tubing. But you can get an adaptor to make it fit.

Unless you think you can get away with running at 3-4 bubbles a second it may be better to avoid. Or you can bring a bubble counter to the supplier and test it out as to how low it will go.

I can get flow regulators here for $50 US.

Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2006 15:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks Bensaf

Paulus suggested that I get a spec sheet from them & put it up here. I'll still do that, if I can, but it doesn't sound so promising now, reading your thread and also Frank has said the same.

My tank is 43.5G - so probably too small, right???

US$50 - your so lucky. If I miss out on the ebay one and this BOC one is no good, then my next best price so far is $246 - and that's without the solenoid or anything else I need. Don't even ask how much a solenoid or pH controller are - it's good I dont need them. grrrrr.

Do you know if there are any on-line American suppliers that will send to Aust? I can get an adaptor to make Amercian thread regulators fit Australian BOC bottles for $29.00

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2006 23:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hello,

So, here's Plan B (more accurately, it's probably up to about Plan G by now)

I can buy this product online http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/subcategorylist.asp?SubCatID=co-reg. To see the one I want, you have to scroll down & it is product no. CO-MKMA957US for $79.99 or maybe no. CO-PCGXCO2, which is $10 dearer.

When price is converted, the cheaper one comes to AU$156.61 (including shipping costs). I'll have to buy a thread converter & travellers power point converter - but I can source these fairly cheaply & easily here. So, this comes in pretty close to current bid on the ebay product cost - which I'll have to beat (including cost of the 2 converters I need) . So, if I don't win the bid, I'm thinking of ordering this online.

Can anyone see any advantage in the dearer product (CO-PCGXCO2) compared to the cheaper product CO-MKMA957US. Also, has anyone used either of these - or do they look ok? Anyone dealt with this firm? Are they ok? Any hassles receiving your goods?

Waiting on info on a spec sheet re the Regulator with the Flow meter, but from Bensaf's & Frank's advice, it doesn't seem that idea is a goer after all.
Edit - re: the flow meter. I've checked it out further. Yep, it won't work. It will only be accurate to rate of 1 litre per minute. Below that rate, it will be guess work. So much for that idea. Well, actually they said there was a solution & gave me the name of someone else to speak to at another company, to talk about an attachment - but I think I'll put that idea to bed - 'cause the solution may not work - think it's best to stick to a purpose designed one

Hope to hear your opinion on my latest plan.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2006 06:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
The 79 doller one doesn't look to bad. Has a much nicer bubble counter than the crap one that came with my Dr. F&S. I think I might be looking for a new one!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2006 06:17Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
I like the cheaper one better.

The reason being the needle valve. The cheaper one has the small brass knob, the more expensive has the black plastic type. I've gone thru a number of regulators - the one's that had the needle valve with the black knob always went wonky very quickly. The smaller brass fittings seem to be easier to get small adjustments and are more stable.

Just a personal prejudice.

Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2006 08:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks Bensaf,

So, if it was a choice out the ebay one http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7748918683&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

or the http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/subcategorylist.asp?SubCatID=co-reg (product CO-MKMA957US $79.99) what would your presonal preference be there?

Thanks

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2006 08:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I vote: product CO-MKMA957US $79.99. It has a bubble counter

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2006 14:38Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
Hard to tell from the pics, but the e-bay one looks to be a bit better built. But as Wings said the bubble counter on the other is a nice bonus which will save a couple of bucks (as long as there's a check valve built in there somewhere) all you'd need is tubing and a diffuser.

Can't go wrong with either really.

Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2006 15:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
hmmmmm, what's a check valve please

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2006 15:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
A "Check Valve" is a valve designed to allow fluid or
gas to flow in one direction only.

In this case it is inserted in the line between the reactor
or diffuser, and the regulator assembly. It prevents water
from siphoning back into the regulator and tank when the
bottle runs out of gas. Check valves normally have an
arrow engraved on the body of the valve that shows the
direction of flow, and MUST be mounted in the system
so that the gas/fluid flows in that direction.

This is but one example of a check valve used in bottled
CO2 injection systems:

http://www.automatedaquariums.com/fk98553.htm

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2006 18:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
ok thanks, I thought that's what it was. My LFS usually calls then non-return valves, but I know I have to get a special C02 one for this application.

Thanks

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2006 01:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hello,

Sorry for this next one, as it's most likely a dumb question. When I have all this set up, is a power point involved at all for the pressurised C02 system?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2006 13:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
upikabu
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 393
Votes: 44
male australia
Yes if you get the solenoid and/or use a powered diffuser like your Red Sea one. The solenoid plugs into a timer so you can have it stop the gas flow at nights.

-P
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2006 13:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks Paulus

I've pulled the plug on my DIY V02. In the end I had three bottles going in (2 red sea, 1 JBL) and I never saw any bubbles. I mixed the brew as per your receipe - carefully following the steps you set out (as well as in that article) so I don't know what I was doing wrong. The final straw was yesterday morning. I had the bottles sitting on top of the tank and, one way or another, water had flowed out of one of the bottles & down into the vents of my tank light unit. Darn - should have got that C02 non return valve. Luckily we have one of those safety power cut-out switches, so when I turned the lights on (not having noticed the water) the electricity to the whole house was shut off. So, that was the end of that. Luckily, when I pulled the light unit apart and dried everything out, the lights are working again.

Anyhow, until I get the real deal, I guess my ferts should be reduced. What should I be doing now?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 00:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
upikabu
-----
Fish Addict
male australia
Urrgh, you're not having much luck with DIY CO2, are you?

Remind me what your current lighting is on that tank? And you only have the one Ram and some platies & guppies in there, right?

-P
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 05:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Paulus

The only good thing about the light unit needing to be pulled apart to dry out was that I got to read what my tubes are for the first time.(I poured a whole lot of water out of the light unit yesterday!!!) I got into a bit of trouble over that, oh, that & too many power points too.

So, here are the light details:-

2 X white fluro tubes each 10,000K 25W Super Lights
1 X pink fluro tube 15,000K 20W Tri Power tube

Is my lighting high, moderate or low?

Currently in the tank are:- 4 platies & 6 guppies only.

So, what do you think my fert schedule should be now? I'm still using the Flourish Excel 4ml daily, but stopped with the traces & others until I know what I should be doing.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 06:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 12-Mar-2006 11:51
This post has been deleted
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi All

I think I have my final C02 plan almost sorted out.

I'm going to order the regulator http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/subcategorylist.asp?SubCatID=co-reg part no. CO-MKMA957US
and I'm thinking about this reactor. http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/subsubcategorypage.asp?subcatindexid=co-co-react Part no. CO-AB73004. As many of my plans & bright ideas haven't tended to work out as planned, I think a final check with the C02 planted experts is in order. Will this reactor suit me & and the regulator I'm planning on ordering??? If not, will one of the others suit. You can see my tank details on my profile (for light details & tank size etc.)

If you guys can tell me if it works, then I'm ordering it. Hope to hear back soon.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 13:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
upikabu
-----
Fish Addict
male australia
Hi Robyn,

You have 70 watts over 42g (1.7 wpg), which would be considered low-medium light. Actually with that much light, you can get by without CO2 addition at all and still keep quite a good variety of plants (they'll just grow more slowly than with CO2). That's what I do with my 42g, with around the same amount of light (72 watts of compact flourescent, which is better than normal flourescent tubes). I don't even add Excel to that tank although Excel would definitely make things grow a bit faster.

If you keep adding the Excel, then here's what I would do:
1/4 tsp KNO3 (~5ppm nitrate) 1-2x a week
1/8 tsp KH2PO4 (~0.5ppm phosphate) 1-2x a week
4-5mL Flourish 1-2x a week (or recommended dosage if using other micro ferts)
1/2 tsp K2SO4 (10ppm potassium) 1x a week
You can do 1.5-2x recommended dosage of Excel daily
50% weekly water change

When you get more fish in there, you can reduce the nitrate & phosphate dosing slightly as the fish/food waste will provide some. I don't add nitrate to my fully stocked tank, but I do add phosphate 1x a week.

-P
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 13:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks Paulus

I really think I'm going to go c02 though. Do I need up upgrade my lights & will it matter if I don't do that straight away. What will I need & did I see you tell someone else that I can get cheaper versions of the lights in Bunnings?
It will only be a matter of 2 weeks till my quarantine buddies are added to the tank (check my profile for details). Then, 2 weeks later 9 panda corys will go in (Ive bought them already & LFS has them tucked away in a separate tank with my name on it in his shop). Then only the ottos to go - if I can get them.

Did you see my last post - just above yours? Is that reactor the right one for me, do you know? I don't know much about them. I'll try to get one without a power point, so I don't get into more trouble

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 13:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Paulus

It probably wouldn't make much difference, but my tank is 43.5G, not 42G. Makes it slightly worse, doesn't it?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 13:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
upikabu
-----
Fish Addict
male australia
Oops, didn't see your post - we must have entered ours around the same time.

CO2 will definitely be beneficial to plant growth no matter what your lighting is. You don't really need to upgrade your lights right away unless you are planning on keeping some of the more light-demanding plants.

No idea about the reactor (someone else will be able to chime in), but this one looks similar. Price is not too bad for Oz. Another option is a glass diffuser - lots of people (including the almighty bensaf ) use it and like it. Should be cheaper than a reactor and no powerpoint either.

-P
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 14:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
So does the one I suggested & the one you linked me to need a power point? The US one is US$29.95, which works out to AUD$40.91, so if they're the same, US one is cheaper. I really do think they are the same, the US one does 100G, the Oz one does 400L - I did the conversation and those volumes are almost identical (400L = 105 G). They're both the same brand. Odds are - they're the same product.

I've cleared the powerpoint for the solenoid with management, but one more may be an issue. I may not use the solenoid anyway, but thought it was good to have it in case at some time I decide to use it.

BTW that website was quite good. I saw a regulator for $199, which is the cheapest Oz one I've seen. The US one still beats it, because it includes the bubble counter & solenoid.

Another option is a glass diffuser - lots of people (including the almighty bensaf ) use it and like it. Should be cheaper than a reactor and no power point either
Do you know where I'd get a glass diffuser - I don't think I've seen one on-line, but then, don't know that I'd recognise it if I did.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 14:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
upikabu
-----
Fish Addict
male australia
EditedEdited by upikabu
I haven't found a regular glass diffuser online here but I see the Tunze brand diffuser at that censored place. (PM me for details.) APW should have the ADA-brand glass diffusers soon but they'll be pricey.

Here's another place that sells a regulator with solenoid for less than $200:
[/link]http://&nbsp;/prod1254.htm[link]

BTW, is your tank 3 ft long? If so, I haven't found any 3ft daylight (6500K) bulbs in the Bunnings around here. They only carry 2ft and 4ft ones.

Cheers!

EDIT: Eh, another censored place. That sux.

-P
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 14:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
My tank is 82cm, according to FP converter, that's 2.6 feet - wish it was 3ft - wish it was BIGGER. So, if the glass ones are $200, I probably can't get them - but I will pm you and ask for the censored links.

I guess I'll also email the people that you gave me the link for, to ask if that diffuser you showed me needs a power point. I'm getting closer - but there always seems to be something more to check out before I can do it.

Bensaf or Wings, if you read this post, can you pls look at this US diffuser I'm thinking of ordering[link] http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/subsubcategorypage.asp?subcatindexid=co-co-react[/link] Part no. CO-AB73004.

Paulus, I'll pm you re those links, then that's it for the night. Sleepy time now. Have a nice night.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 15:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
It's a membrane reactor. I've no esperience with them noy even sure how they work

Try to get a glass diffuser. Better, easy to operate no powerhead or power point required.

I think you miss read Paulus's post, a glass diffuser will cost $15 us max.

Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 15:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks Bensaf
Try to get a glass diffuser. Better, easy to operate no powerhead or power point required.
At least one LFS has told me there are no glass diffusers currently in Oz. Others just tell me they don't have any glass ones - only plastic. Would they do the job just as well?

Below are pic's of 2 I've found in Oz, but my guess is the Tunze one needs a power point, 'cause it mentions a pump. Anyone had experience with either of these products?

One LFS (Paulus - Slippery Little Suckers - ps they have ottos in stock too) said that for the 1st time Armani (spelling???) glass ones are being imported into Oz & should arrive in 6 - 8 weeks. Are these worth waiting for. LFS can't say what they'll cost until he has them in stock.

I'm more than happy to order a US one on line, but the site where I'm ordering the regulator does not seem to stock glass ones (only those that I gave the link for earlier) & I haven't found another site that says they send to international customers.

Does anyone know of one that would send to Oz? If so, can you pls let me know?

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2006 08:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
upikabu
-----
Fish Addict
male australia
EditedEdited by upikabu
The Dupla one doesn't require power - works similar to the glass diffuser (just different shape). Heard good things about it.

for the 1st time Armani (spelling???) glass ones are being imported into Oz

It's "Amano", as in Takashi Amano of Nature Aquarium fame. He has a company (ADA) that sells high-end planted aquarium stuff (like the "Armani" of planted tank gear ). Some of his stuff are overpriced, but they're all good (if not great) quality (Japanese are perfectionists - I should know, I work with them! ). Some people here have been known to drool over the ADA glass diffusers. As for whether they're worth it, it depends on how much they will cost.

Glad you found otos at SLS!

-P
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2006 08:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I suspect it will be dear - do you think it's worth waiting for? So if the dupla one works much like the glass one Bensaf recommends, it might be the one. But I'll also wait another day see if there are any suggestions that come in regarding glass diffusers from US online distributers (I'll try to order both regulator & diffuser from same one to save on postage).

Yeah, I was pleased about the ottos. I'm not ready for them yet, but SLS say they always have them in. My new local LFS shop though, is really trying hard for me & said he'd try to get them in when I'm ready. So I have two options now - provided he can source the genuine otto fish.

If any of the planted guys read this post, please let me know if you're aware of any US other sites that will distribute to Oz

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2006 11:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
only plastic. Would they do the job just as well?

They are basically the same as the glass ones, just not as pretty Work exactly the same , do just as good a job.

The Dupla is one of the best. Is that price in US dollars or Aus.

Azoo do one just like the Dupla, works just as well but very cheap.

Use them just the same as the glass ones. The plastic ones have a built in bubble counter so you save a couple of bucks there, good ones also have a built in check valve. I know the Azoo one does I'm sure the Dupla has also. Another couple of bucks saved

All you need is some tubing to connect the plastic diffuser to the regulator and you are good to go. A lot of folks prefer the plastic ones, I just think the glass ones are real pretty.

Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2006 15:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks for the reply Bensaf
The Dupla is one of the best. Is that price in US dollars or Aus.
It's Aus dollars & its not glass. That's one of the reasons I'm still holding off. You mentioned glass diffuser for US$15, so I'm hoping that someone knows a US site that would supply both a regulator & glass diffuser (save on postage) to international customers. The conversion to US$, plus postage, still works out cheaper than here in Oz.

The only US site I've found so far, only had those diffusers I showed in the link given previously - where you recommended the elussive glass ones - which I agree would be more attractive - but can I hide it behind tall plants - or would that be the wrong place for it?
I'll give it a day & then I'll bite the bullet - order the Oz Dupla plastic diffuser (comes with check valvue) & the US regulator (comes with bubble counter). Thanks for help thus far.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2006 23:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies