AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# C02 - Solenoid Valve - Do I need it?????
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeC02 - Solenoid Valve - Do I need it?????
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
EditedEdited by LITTLE_FISH
Robyn,

A bubble counter counts bubbles (), that is all it does. Actually, it doesn't even do that, it makes you count them for it. As such it can be anywhere in the tubing system, either directly attached to the regulator, or at the end where the CO2 enters the tank (some reactors and diffusers also double as a counter, but they are harder to read as they are mostly hidden behind plants), or even anywhere in the middle of the hosing. For example, there are line splitters that allow you to hook up multiple tanks to one CO2 bottle - the more expensive ones have valves and bubble counters for each split hose.

Hope this explains it,

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2006 23:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
Yes, I knew what bubble counter is, but wasn't sure if it was importantant for it only to be placed in certain spots. I have to be ready to expertly & confidently answer hubby's questions about the setup, to have a chance to get the go ahead. His theory being, I shouldn't be asking for something if I don't fully know how it's setup. Grrr - must ask him why he drives a car, but he's not a mechanic & can't even do an oil change.

Bad girl, stop muttering after all it's his idea to put it in the garage & if I get the go ahead, he'll be doing the hole in the wall etc. Just need to make him feel comfortable that I know what C02 does, that I know how to set it up and that I won't blow up the house or anything
Also, I think it would be worthwile creating a website for "neglected spouses of tank keepers so they can complain about the crazy things we do for our obsession. I am sure my wife would join your husband.
Good idea

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2006 00:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
YEAH, I HAVE C02

Today we visited LFS to get some java moss & hubby started talking to the guy about C02. He liked the small gas bottles & he liked that we could see what we were buying. He never liked the idea of me buying on-line 'cause he thought I'd end up with the wrong thing & it wouldn't work. He didn't like the big rented bottle from BOC either, 'cause it was unsightly. Before I knew it, we'd paid $644.00 for a 750g (1.6lb) gas cylinder, a regulator, bubble counter & C02 internal reactor, C02 Check Valve. All are Dupla brand. No solenoid, but I can add that later. The bottle is too small, but the next size up didn't fit in my cabinet without cutting the shelf, which hubby preferred not to do.

Later, I'm getting a glass diffusser so I can swap the reactor over when I get it.

Until I get a solenoid, I'm going to turn it on & off manually.

Bit of a problem there, because the lights are programmed to turn on at 1pm & turn off at 11pm. I'm not around at 1pm, so I'll have to turn it on at 4.30pm & I'll then turn it off at 11pm, so C02 for only 6 & 1/2 hrs daily. If I had a bigger gas bottle, I'd leave it on 24/7, but to save the extra trips to get the bottle refilled, I'll turn it off to not waste the gas. It will only be until May (I hope). I'm hoping in May, the kids will give me a solenoid valve for Mothers Day.

I'm trying to aim for 2 bps, is that right? C02 drops my pH down - right?? How long before I start to see that happening?

Anyway, I'm very excited. After 4 pages of trying to find a cheaper way - we ended up going an expensive way - but at least I have it.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2006 15:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
Congrats on the new toy. What you are going to want to do right now is get a KH and PH test. That way you can find out how much CO2 you have in your water.

Your PH will drop but it depends on how high your KH is for how fast it will go.

Use this to find out where you are at

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2006 15:28Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 1315
male ireland
I'm not around at 1pm, so I'll have to turn it on at 4.30pm & I'll then turn it off at 11pm, so C02 for only 6 & 1/2 hrs daily.

This is a very bad idea. The plants need a few hours ot get going. You need the gas on as soon as the lights come on.

Using the gas for only half the light cycle won't do much for the plants but will do great for algae.

Either leave on 24/7 or change the light timing to a time you can turn the gas on.

Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

Remember that age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2006 16:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
Hi Wingsdlc & Bensaf

Thanks for the replies.
This is a very bad idea. The plants need a few hours ot get going. You need the gas on as soon as the lights come on. Using the gas for only half the light cycle won't do much for the plants but will do great for algae.
I guess I expected this, which is why I mentioned my C02 timing schedule. I'll have to turn the lights on at 7am & off at 5pm, which is a shame - 'cause I won't get to see my tank with lights on much (only weekends).

I would run it 24/7 - but the bottle is very small & I thought I'd run out too quickly if I do that. Not many LFS around here fill bottles, only a few & none are close to home.

Have to get a solenoid soooon.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2006 00:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
As others have suggested, I would just run it 24/7.
My 5 pound bottle lasts for 6 months at slightly over one
bubble per second and the refill costs just $9 and some
change.

You don't need to go to the LFS for a refill either. Any
store that offers beer and tap supplies, or welding
supplies can refill that tank, and probably for much less
than the LFS.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2006 02:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
My bottle is only 1.61b, so it is a lot smaller than yours, unfortunately. I wouldn't mind a trip every 3 months, but thought this size bottle might have me running there monthly. Cost for LFS to refill this size is $12, but it's not the cost issue, it's the trip to fill it.

I'll look into getting the gas from those other sources, but my investigations thus far indicate everyone gets their gas from BOC, who won't fill gas tanks that they don't own. So each business buys it from BOC, & on sell it to everyone else, with a little extra cost to make it worth their while. I think in maybe 5 years, as C02 injection gets more common, more LFS will provide the gas. At the moment, I've only found 2 locations, that are not actually close by, but are " do able". I'll continue to look for gas from supplier types you suggest.

Considering my bottle is only 1.6lb, how long do you think it would last. My tank is 43.5G & at the moment I'm trying out 2bps. So, how long do you think it will last me? Even 2 monthly trips, would be Ok. Hoping to get a solenoid in May, anyway.

Thanks

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2006 02:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 1315
male ireland
It varies depending how much gas you put in. But generally 1lb of gas lasts about a month. Your tank should hold out for 4-6 weeks. Which will bring you to May and solenoid time

Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

Remember that age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2006 03:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks guys.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2006 04:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies