AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# C02 - Solenoid Valve - Do I need it?????
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeC02 - Solenoid Valve - Do I need it?????
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Hello,

Sorry for this next one, as it's most likely a dumb question. When I have all this set up, is a power point involved at all for the pressurised C02 system?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2006 13:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
upikabu
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 393
Votes: 44
male australia
Yes if you get the solenoid and/or use a powered diffuser like your Red Sea one. The solenoid plugs into a timer so you can have it stop the gas flow at nights.

-P
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2006 13:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
Thanks Paulus

I've pulled the plug on my DIY V02. In the end I had three bottles going in (2 red sea, 1 JBL) and I never saw any bubbles. I mixed the brew as per your receipe - carefully following the steps you set out (as well as in that article) so I don't know what I was doing wrong. The final straw was yesterday morning. I had the bottles sitting on top of the tank and, one way or another, water had flowed out of one of the bottles & down into the vents of my tank light unit. Darn - should have got that C02 non return valve. Luckily we have one of those safety power cut-out switches, so when I turned the lights on (not having noticed the water) the electricity to the whole house was shut off. So, that was the end of that. Luckily, when I pulled the light unit apart and dried everything out, the lights are working again.

Anyhow, until I get the real deal, I guess my ferts should be reduced. What should I be doing now?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 00:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
upikabu
-----
Fish Addict
male australia
Urrgh, you're not having much luck with DIY CO2, are you?

Remind me what your current lighting is on that tank? And you only have the one Ram and some platies & guppies in there, right?

-P
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 05:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Paulus

The only good thing about the light unit needing to be pulled apart to dry out was that I got to read what my tubes are for the first time.(I poured a whole lot of water out of the light unit yesterday!!!) I got into a bit of trouble over that, oh, that & too many power points too.

So, here are the light details:-

2 X white fluro tubes each 10,000K 25W Super Lights
1 X pink fluro tube 15,000K 20W Tri Power tube

Is my lighting high, moderate or low?

Currently in the tank are:- 4 platies & 6 guppies only.

So, what do you think my fert schedule should be now? I'm still using the Flourish Excel 4ml daily, but stopped with the traces & others until I know what I should be doing.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 06:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 12-Mar-2006 11:51
This post has been deleted
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi All

I think I have my final C02 plan almost sorted out.

I'm going to order the regulator http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/subcategorylist.asp?SubCatID=co-reg part no. CO-MKMA957US
and I'm thinking about this reactor. http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/subsubcategorypage.asp?subcatindexid=co-co-react Part no. CO-AB73004. As many of my plans & bright ideas haven't tended to work out as planned, I think a final check with the C02 planted experts is in order. Will this reactor suit me & and the regulator I'm planning on ordering??? If not, will one of the others suit. You can see my tank details on my profile (for light details & tank size etc.)

If you guys can tell me if it works, then I'm ordering it. Hope to hear back soon.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 13:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
upikabu
-----
Fish Addict
male australia
Hi Robyn,

You have 70 watts over 42g (1.7 wpg), which would be considered low-medium light. Actually with that much light, you can get by without CO2 addition at all and still keep quite a good variety of plants (they'll just grow more slowly than with CO2). That's what I do with my 42g, with around the same amount of light (72 watts of compact flourescent, which is better than normal flourescent tubes). I don't even add Excel to that tank although Excel would definitely make things grow a bit faster.

If you keep adding the Excel, then here's what I would do:
1/4 tsp KNO3 (~5ppm nitrate) 1-2x a week
1/8 tsp KH2PO4 (~0.5ppm phosphate) 1-2x a week
4-5mL Flourish 1-2x a week (or recommended dosage if using other micro ferts)
1/2 tsp K2SO4 (10ppm potassium) 1x a week
You can do 1.5-2x recommended dosage of Excel daily
50% weekly water change

When you get more fish in there, you can reduce the nitrate & phosphate dosing slightly as the fish/food waste will provide some. I don't add nitrate to my fully stocked tank, but I do add phosphate 1x a week.

-P
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 13:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks Paulus

I really think I'm going to go c02 though. Do I need up upgrade my lights & will it matter if I don't do that straight away. What will I need & did I see you tell someone else that I can get cheaper versions of the lights in Bunnings?
It will only be a matter of 2 weeks till my quarantine buddies are added to the tank (check my profile for details). Then, 2 weeks later 9 panda corys will go in (Ive bought them already & LFS has them tucked away in a separate tank with my name on it in his shop). Then only the ottos to go - if I can get them.

Did you see my last post - just above yours? Is that reactor the right one for me, do you know? I don't know much about them. I'll try to get one without a power point, so I don't get into more trouble

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 13:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Paulus

It probably wouldn't make much difference, but my tank is 43.5G, not 42G. Makes it slightly worse, doesn't it?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 13:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
upikabu
-----
Fish Addict
male australia
Oops, didn't see your post - we must have entered ours around the same time.

CO2 will definitely be beneficial to plant growth no matter what your lighting is. You don't really need to upgrade your lights right away unless you are planning on keeping some of the more light-demanding plants.

No idea about the reactor (someone else will be able to chime in), but this one looks similar. Price is not too bad for Oz. Another option is a glass diffuser - lots of people (including the almighty bensaf ) use it and like it. Should be cheaper than a reactor and no powerpoint either.

-P
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 14:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
So does the one I suggested & the one you linked me to need a power point? The US one is US$29.95, which works out to AUD$40.91, so if they're the same, US one is cheaper. I really do think they are the same, the US one does 100G, the Oz one does 400L - I did the conversation and those volumes are almost identical (400L = 105 G). They're both the same brand. Odds are - they're the same product.

I've cleared the powerpoint for the solenoid with management, but one more may be an issue. I may not use the solenoid anyway, but thought it was good to have it in case at some time I decide to use it.

BTW that website was quite good. I saw a regulator for $199, which is the cheapest Oz one I've seen. The US one still beats it, because it includes the bubble counter & solenoid.

Another option is a glass diffuser - lots of people (including the almighty bensaf ) use it and like it. Should be cheaper than a reactor and no power point either
Do you know where I'd get a glass diffuser - I don't think I've seen one on-line, but then, don't know that I'd recognise it if I did.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 14:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
upikabu
-----
Fish Addict
male australia
EditedEdited by upikabu
I haven't found a regular glass diffuser online here but I see the Tunze brand diffuser at that censored place. (PM me for details.) APW should have the ADA-brand glass diffusers soon but they'll be pricey.

Here's another place that sells a regulator with solenoid for less than $200:
[/link]http:// /prod1254.htm[link]

BTW, is your tank 3 ft long? If so, I haven't found any 3ft daylight (6500K) bulbs in the Bunnings around here. They only carry 2ft and 4ft ones.

Cheers!

EDIT: Eh, another censored place. That sux.

-P
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 14:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
My tank is 82cm, according to FP converter, that's 2.6 feet - wish it was 3ft - wish it was BIGGER. So, if the glass ones are $200, I probably can't get them - but I will pm you and ask for the censored links.

I guess I'll also email the people that you gave me the link for, to ask if that diffuser you showed me needs a power point. I'm getting closer - but there always seems to be something more to check out before I can do it.

Bensaf or Wings, if you read this post, can you pls look at this US diffuser I'm thinking of ordering[link] http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/subsubcategorypage.asp?subcatindexid=co-co-react[/link] Part no. CO-AB73004.

Paulus, I'll pm you re those links, then that's it for the night. Sleepy time now. Have a nice night.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 15:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 1315
male ireland
It's a membrane reactor. I've no esperience with them noy even sure how they work

Try to get a glass diffuser. Better, easy to operate no powerhead or power point required.

I think you miss read Paulus's post, a glass diffuser will cost $15 us max.

Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

Remember that age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 15:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks Bensaf
Try to get a glass diffuser. Better, easy to operate no powerhead or power point required.
At least one LFS has told me there are no glass diffusers currently in Oz. Others just tell me they don't have any glass ones - only plastic. Would they do the job just as well?

Below are pic's of 2 I've found in Oz, but my guess is the Tunze one needs a power point, 'cause it mentions a pump. Anyone had experience with either of these products?

One LFS (Paulus - Slippery Little Suckers - ps they have ottos in stock too) said that for the 1st time Armani (spelling???) glass ones are being imported into Oz & should arrive in 6 - 8 weeks. Are these worth waiting for. LFS can't say what they'll cost until he has them in stock.

I'm more than happy to order a US one on line, but the site where I'm ordering the regulator does not seem to stock glass ones (only those that I gave the link for earlier) & I haven't found another site that says they send to international customers.

Does anyone know of one that would send to Oz? If so, can you pls let me know?

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2006 08:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
upikabu
-----
Fish Addict
male australia
EditedEdited by upikabu
The Dupla one doesn't require power - works similar to the glass diffuser (just different shape). Heard good things about it.

for the 1st time Armani (spelling???) glass ones are being imported into Oz

It's "Amano", as in Takashi Amano of Nature Aquarium fame. He has a company (ADA) that sells high-end planted aquarium stuff (like the "Armani" of planted tank gear ). Some of his stuff are overpriced, but they're all good (if not great) quality (Japanese are perfectionists - I should know, I work with them! ). Some people here have been known to drool over the ADA glass diffusers. As for whether they're worth it, it depends on how much they will cost.

Glad you found otos at SLS!

-P
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2006 08:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I suspect it will be dear - do you think it's worth waiting for? So if the dupla one works much like the glass one Bensaf recommends, it might be the one. But I'll also wait another day see if there are any suggestions that come in regarding glass diffusers from US online distributers (I'll try to order both regulator & diffuser from same one to save on postage).

Yeah, I was pleased about the ottos. I'm not ready for them yet, but SLS say they always have them in. My new local LFS shop though, is really trying hard for me & said he'd try to get them in when I'm ready. So I have two options now - provided he can source the genuine otto fish.

If any of the planted guys read this post, please let me know if you're aware of any US other sites that will distribute to Oz

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2006 11:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
only plastic. Would they do the job just as well?

They are basically the same as the glass ones, just not as pretty Work exactly the same , do just as good a job.

The Dupla is one of the best. Is that price in US dollars or Aus.

Azoo do one just like the Dupla, works just as well but very cheap.

Use them just the same as the glass ones. The plastic ones have a built in bubble counter so you save a couple of bucks there, good ones also have a built in check valve. I know the Azoo one does I'm sure the Dupla has also. Another couple of bucks saved

All you need is some tubing to connect the plastic diffuser to the regulator and you are good to go. A lot of folks prefer the plastic ones, I just think the glass ones are real pretty.

Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2006 15:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks for the reply Bensaf
The Dupla is one of the best. Is that price in US dollars or Aus.
It's Aus dollars & its not glass. That's one of the reasons I'm still holding off. You mentioned glass diffuser for US$15, so I'm hoping that someone knows a US site that would supply both a regulator & glass diffuser (save on postage) to international customers. The conversion to US$, plus postage, still works out cheaper than here in Oz.

The only US site I've found so far, only had those diffusers I showed in the link given previously - where you recommended the elussive glass ones - which I agree would be more attractive - but can I hide it behind tall plants - or would that be the wrong place for it?
I'll give it a day & then I'll bite the bullet - order the Oz Dupla plastic diffuser (comes with check valvue) & the US regulator (comes with bubble counter). Thanks for help thus far.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2006 23:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Robyn,

Not having a Diffuser myself (yet) I can only reply to your last question, regarding the position: Sure you can hide it behind pants, but you should have some current above the diffuser so that the bubbles are washed around in the tank. If they simply float to the top they wouldn't be as efficient.

Getting a platic one doesn't seem like a bad idea, even if it should be only to bridge the time until the real deal is becoming available in Oz land. I wonder why it is that you don't have glass diffusers available down there. Not big enough of a market?

And no - that company is not Armani, it is Dolce and Cabbana (sorry, couldn't help it).

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2006 12:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi LF

Thanks for the input. Sorry, not up on all the brand names (for fish or fashion either, it seems)

Re: C02, we don't have much choice here and what we have is ridiculously expensive. Example, Bensaf said I should be able to get a glass diffuser for US$15. It will cost AU$54. That equals around US$39, so quite a bit dearer. If you know of any good US websites that supply to international customers, can you pls let me know. The only one I've found so far is http://www.customaquatic.com If I go ahead with this, I'm ordering my regulator from US. Conversion & postage included - still a lot cheaper. Paulus gave me a site that came close - but still dearer & the US one included a bubble counter.
Sure you can hide it behind pants, but you should have some current above the diffuser so that the bubbles are washed around in the tank. If they simply float to the top they wouldn't be as efficient.
Where I'm planning to put it is in the back right hand corner. It will be underneath the return water pipe, which is very forceful. It should pound down on the C02 - so is that a good thing?

Not having a Diffuser myself (yet)
. I thought that a diffuser was required. Isn't it really necessary, after all?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2006 12:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
It should pound down on the C02 - so is that a good thing?

Yes, that is a good thing. This way the bubbles stay below the surface much longer and the water will receive a higher saturation with CO2 (just ask luvmykrib, as I forgot to mention this to her, she is mad at me for this ).

Some form of diffusion is required to create small bubbles. I have what is called a reactor (but I may switch to a diffuser sometime). The reactor has a CO2 hose attached and a small pump. Water from the tank is pumped into a cylinder which also gets the CO2. Then it is mixed up in there and has to escape through a foam at the bottom. This assures small bubbles. Just take a look at one of the fist pages in my log to see a picture of the reactor.

Ingo

PS: I will keep an eye open for sites that may export.

Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2006 12:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I have what is called a reactor (but I may switch to a diffuser sometime)
Is this because a diffuser is better than a reactor in your opinion?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2006 14:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Is this because a diffuser is better than a reactor in your opinion?

That is at least what the other plant (fill in your choice of title here) here at FP indicate. NowherMan6 is a convert from the same type of Reactor that I am running, tetratech comes from another setup, and bensaf, well, he is bensaf.

I don't think I have any major issues with my reactor, but a change is worth a try. If I do it then it will be an experiment and I always will leave the door open to go back. The reactor has non-CO2 related downsides:

It is large
It is not all that pretty
It needs electricity for the pump

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2006 15:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I'm particularly looking for one without a powerpoint requirement. I'm getting into a little trouble here about my powerpoints and electricity consumption for my tanks.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2006 15:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
Just one little nit here:

Having made the switch to a glass diffuser myself, I have one minor disagreement with LF on the efficiency of the glass diffuser. I don't think it's so much that the bubbles never reach the surface that's important, it's the size of the original bubbles that matters most. You want those bubbles to come out as small as possible so ensure better absorbtion into the water. That's why it's important to keep the membrane clean, every two weeks. If it gets clogged with gunk the bubbles will come out bigger, if every pore of the disk is kept clean the bubbles will come out quite small.

I have to say, the efficiency of these things is amazing. I've had fantastic saturation using this diffusor, and the bubbles of mine go straight up to the surface, or get trapped by the plants when they grow high enough.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2006 17:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I have one minor disagreement with LF on the efficiency of the glass diffuser

I was not disputing the efficiency of a glass diffuser, but I am not convinced that it is better than the reactor. My bubbles are tiny as well and (at least from measuring with the kits) give me the results I anticipated. I guess only testing out a diffuser will give me the answer if they are better or just equal

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2006 17:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
Speaking of keeping these things clean... What do you guys do to yours to keep it open?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2006 18:19Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
Speaking of keeping these things clean... What do you guys do to yours to keep it open?

I swear this is the last time I'll answer this question

Every 2 weeks (don't wait for it to clog) soak in a 50% bleach solution for 10 minutes. Remove rinse and soak for another ten minutes in some clean water with some de-chlor. Put back in tank. Very simple and easy.

This will keep the ceramic plate clean and free of algae.

For plastic diffuser the ceramic plate can be removed seperately, for the glass ones just pop the whole unit in the bleach solution.

Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2006 05:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Ahh very cool! Wont ask again Sir!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2006 06:08Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Update on my investigations since last post. A bit of a hiccup on ordering the US regulator/solenoid. Didn't realise US has 115 volts & Oz has 240V. I have to investigate if the cost of a transformer wipes out the savings of the US purchase. No problems just with a regulator - just the items that require power.

Next hiccup is the size of the BOC gas bottle I want to rent. It's big & doesn't fit in your average cabinet & here is my hubby's suggestion of where to put it (he doesn't want it in the house).

Tank cabinet shares a common wall with the garage. He wants the gas bottle in the garage, with a hole in the wall (properly sealed so creepy crawlies can't get in). The C02 tubing comes in through the hole in the wall & into the tank. I'm assuming (or hoping) that the bubble counter sits in the garage with the tank & regulator all in the garage.

I hoping all the planted tank guys can tell me if that will work. Is there any reason why it wouldn't work if the tank was in a different room to the gas bottle. I know its probably not ideal, but would it work - it may be my only chance. Look forward to hearing your advice.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2006 12:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Robyn,

I don't envy you for the troubles you have to go through just to get CO2 in your tank . You are truely a commited hobbyist .

I would say that the only problem I can see would be cold temperatures in your garage, below freezing, and probably it would have to be cold for a while. Then, the water in the bubble counter and the hose (yes, when the unit turns off there may be some backwash from the tank into the hose) could freeze.

But I think you don't even own a winter coat, right?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2006 12:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Robyn,

I was just chatting with my wife regarding your CO2 issues Down Under. This reminded me of another potential issue that you may face when buying US equipment.

Threading - by this I mean the threads of the bottle vs. the regulator. Are't you guys using a metric system? I have no idea but you may want to check into it.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2006 14:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Ingo,

It is the ridulous cost of C02 here in Oz that has caused me such work. I have the stubbornness of a marathon runner (my other hobby) & I do not want to give up. Another hurdle to overcome is my hubby, who thinks I have gone a little crazy & overboard to be even considering this.

I do not think I have a chance of being allowed to put the gas bottle in the house, unless I buy one of the smaller bottles from the LFS, but too expensive here & I definitely cannot buy an overseas one. Overseas gas bottles are illegal to be filled in Oz, so that is out.

Temperature ranges here in Sydney for the coldest part of winter are average min 47F to av. max of 63F. so, we get cold, but nothing would really freeze. There would not be much tubing in the garage anyway. The bottle would be hard up against the wall, so the tube would only have a few inches at most to travel before it passed through the wall & into the house. If you still think the temp would be a problem, I could get some flux, or whatever it is that plumbers use to insulate hot water pipes, and wrap it around the tubing. Would that make it too hot in summer though? I could always make that a seasonal thing & take my tubings winter woollies off in summer time.

PS I do have a winter coat & an electric blanket, but no heater (unless you count the fishies heater).

Threading - by this I mean the threads of the bottle vs. the regulator. Are't you guys using a metric system? I have no idea but you may want to check into it.
Already factored that in (think it was mentioned a page ago, probably while you were at the BIG TANK. The US product I wanted to buy is a regulator, solenoid & bubble counter combined. I factored in the cost of the US product, the conversion to AU$, the postage, the cost of a thread converter which our gas supplier said converts all US thread to Oz thread (it's made by BOC especially so that US regulators fit on Oz gass bottles) and I was still way in front for the cost of an Oz regulator all on it's own. The voltage thing is the issue now. Depending on the amps the appliance uses, the cost of a transformer to allow US voltage to work here increases. If the solenoid is 1 amp or less, the transformer is $60. That probably puts me at break even point for the Oz product that doesn't include a solenoid or bubble counter. But if the US product uses more than 1 amp, the cost of the transformer jumps dramatically, so I've asked the US supplier for the info and will have to see if it works out or not.

So, back to the issue of putting the gas bottle in the garage. Bensaf, Wings, Ingo or any other planted tank expert - how would this work. To recap - hubby won't let me have bottle in rumpus room, as it won't fit in cabinent. Wall behind my tank is the same wall as to the garage (ie rumpus room & garage share a common wall). The garage is joined onto the house (you know, it the type where you have internal access straight from your garage into your house). Suggestion is that gas bottle, regulator & bubble counter are in garage, hole in wall (properly sealed for creepy crawlies, etc) tubing passes through wall & into tank. It's about my only hope, as at this stage, can't afford my own small gas bottle & have to rent bottle from BOC.
I'd really appreciate your thoughts as to whether would work or not.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2006 15:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Robyn,

I wouldn't know why this should not work. The pressure coming from the bottle should be strong enough for an extended hose. There are quite a few people that use one bottle and a splitter to "feed" multiple tanks. They too have pretty long lines.

I would suggest you are 100% certain that the tubing is CO2 proof. It would be a bummer if it starts leaking within the wall part. Also, the sealant that you may use should not corrode the tubing and it shouldn't harden out either. This way you can remove the tubing much easier, if need be.

Hope this helps,

Ingo

PS: When are you wearing a winter coat? Also, I think it would be worthwile creating a website for "neglected spouses of tank keepers so they can complain about the crazy things we do for our obsession . I am sure my wife would join your husband.

Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2006 15:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I would suggest you are 100% certain that the tubing is CO2 proof. It would be a bummer if it starts leaking within the wall part. Also, the sealant that you may use should not corrode the tubing and it shouldn't harden out either. This way you can remove the tubing much easier, if need be.
The idea here is to have one of the plastic covers that are used for tv antenna outlets or power point outlets (I guess you have similar over there). There would be a hole, the appropriate size for the CO2 safe tubing & a washer sealing it in place (do you know what I mean - not really sure what these plastic power/antenna cover thingys are called). So, there wouldn't be any sealant to harden. The seal will be an appropriately sized washer.
PS: When are you wearing a winter coat?
As soon as it hits min 47F to av. max of 63F, the winter coat, thick stockings, gloves & scarves will all be out. I hate the cold (could never live where it snowed). I usually love the summer, although this Sydney summer has been too hot even for me. For once, I'm looking for it to cool down a bit. It's now autumn & today was a bit cooler (max only 85.4F).

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2006 16:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
Should work fine. You may want the bubble counter inside so you can keep an eye that the rate doesn't drop. Needle valves sometimes move them selves

Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2006 17:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I was kind of wondering if that was the case with mine! I would set the bubles where I wanted it then come back and they would be back to slow again.... latly it has been steady though.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2006 19:16Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks guys for the comments Re: the bubble counter, if I end up with that US regulator I showed you all earlier, the bubble counter is attached, so no choice for that one but to be in the garage. If it ends up that way, the garage is so handy, I'm always in & out anyway as I keep lots of things in there, it won't be a problem to go out & check it a couple of times a night.

If I end up getting the go ahead to do this, I hope you guys won't mind giving me instructions on how to set this all up. For some reason, I thought the bubble counter had to be with the reulator & I can't picture where else to put it. I have to act knowledgeable here, so I can bluff my way to getting the OK to go ahead.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2006 22:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
EditedEdited by LITTLE_FISH
Robyn,

A bubble counter counts bubbles (), that is all it does. Actually, it doesn't even do that, it makes you count them for it. As such it can be anywhere in the tubing system, either directly attached to the regulator, or at the end where the CO2 enters the tank (some reactors and diffusers also double as a counter, but they are harder to read as they are mostly hidden behind plants), or even anywhere in the middle of the hosing. For example, there are line splitters that allow you to hook up multiple tanks to one CO2 bottle - the more expensive ones have valves and bubble counters for each split hose.

Hope this explains it,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2006 23:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Yes, I knew what bubble counter is, but wasn't sure if it was importantant for it only to be placed in certain spots. I have to be ready to expertly & confidently answer hubby's questions about the setup, to have a chance to get the go ahead. His theory being, I shouldn't be asking for something if I don't fully know how it's setup. Grrr - must ask him why he drives a car, but he's not a mechanic & can't even do an oil change.

Bad girl, stop muttering after all it's his idea to put it in the garage & if I get the go ahead, he'll be doing the hole in the wall etc. Just need to make him feel comfortable that I know what C02 does, that I know how to set it up and that I won't blow up the house or anything
Also, I think it would be worthwile creating a website for "neglected spouses of tank keepers so they can complain about the crazy things we do for our obsession. I am sure my wife would join your husband.
Good idea

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2006 00:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
YEAH, I HAVE C02

Today we visited LFS to get some java moss & hubby started talking to the guy about C02. He liked the small gas bottles & he liked that we could see what we were buying. He never liked the idea of me buying on-line 'cause he thought I'd end up with the wrong thing & it wouldn't work. He didn't like the big rented bottle from BOC either, 'cause it was unsightly. Before I knew it, we'd paid $644.00 for a 750g (1.6lb) gas cylinder, a regulator, bubble counter & C02 internal reactor, C02 Check Valve. All are Dupla brand. No solenoid, but I can add that later. The bottle is too small, but the next size up didn't fit in my cabinet without cutting the shelf, which hubby preferred not to do.

Later, I'm getting a glass diffusser so I can swap the reactor over when I get it.

Until I get a solenoid, I'm going to turn it on & off manually.

Bit of a problem there, because the lights are programmed to turn on at 1pm & turn off at 11pm. I'm not around at 1pm, so I'll have to turn it on at 4.30pm & I'll then turn it off at 11pm, so C02 for only 6 & 1/2 hrs daily. If I had a bigger gas bottle, I'd leave it on 24/7, but to save the extra trips to get the bottle refilled, I'll turn it off to not waste the gas. It will only be until May (I hope). I'm hoping in May, the kids will give me a solenoid valve for Mothers Day.

I'm trying to aim for 2 bps, is that right? C02 drops my pH down - right?? How long before I start to see that happening?

Anyway, I'm very excited. After 4 pages of trying to find a cheaper way - we ended up going an expensive way - but at least I have it.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2006 15:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Congrats on the new toy. What you are going to want to do right now is get a KH and PH test. That way you can find out how much CO2 you have in your water.

Your PH will drop but it depends on how high your KH is for how fast it will go.

Use this to find out where you are at

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2006 15:28Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
I'm not around at 1pm, so I'll have to turn it on at 4.30pm & I'll then turn it off at 11pm, so C02 for only 6 & 1/2 hrs daily.

This is a very bad idea. The plants need a few hours ot get going. You need the gas on as soon as the lights come on.

Using the gas for only half the light cycle won't do much for the plants but will do great for algae.

Either leave on 24/7 or change the light timing to a time you can turn the gas on.

Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2006 16:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Wingsdlc & Bensaf

Thanks for the replies.
This is a very bad idea. The plants need a few hours ot get going. You need the gas on as soon as the lights come on. Using the gas for only half the light cycle won't do much for the plants but will do great for algae.
I guess I expected this, which is why I mentioned my C02 timing schedule. I'll have to turn the lights on at 7am & off at 5pm, which is a shame - 'cause I won't get to see my tank with lights on much (only weekends).

I would run it 24/7 - but the bottle is very small & I thought I'd run out too quickly if I do that. Not many LFS around here fill bottles, only a few & none are close to home.

Have to get a solenoid soooon.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2006 00:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
As others have suggested, I would just run it 24/7.
My 5 pound bottle lasts for 6 months at slightly over one
bubble per second and the refill costs just $9 and some
change.

You don't need to go to the LFS for a refill either. Any
store that offers beer and tap supplies, or welding
supplies can refill that tank, and probably for much less
than the LFS.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2006 02:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
My bottle is only 1.61b, so it is a lot smaller than yours, unfortunately. I wouldn't mind a trip every 3 months, but thought this size bottle might have me running there monthly. Cost for LFS to refill this size is $12, but it's not the cost issue, it's the trip to fill it.

I'll look into getting the gas from those other sources, but my investigations thus far indicate everyone gets their gas from BOC, who won't fill gas tanks that they don't own. So each business buys it from BOC, & on sell it to everyone else, with a little extra cost to make it worth their while. I think in maybe 5 years, as C02 injection gets more common, more LFS will provide the gas. At the moment, I've only found 2 locations, that are not actually close by, but are " do able". I'll continue to look for gas from supplier types you suggest.

Considering my bottle is only 1.6lb, how long do you think it would last. My tank is 43.5G & at the moment I'm trying out 2bps. So, how long do you think it will last me? Even 2 monthly trips, would be Ok. Hoping to get a solenoid in May, anyway.

Thanks

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2006 02:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
It varies depending how much gas you put in. But generally 1lb of gas lasts about a month. Your tank should hold out for 4-6 weeks. Which will bring you to May and solenoid time

Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2006 03:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks guys.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2006 04:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies