Subscribe5Footer Substrate Colour
mews
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 33
Votes: 1
male australia
Just a question re my tobe 5footer.
Dark-black or stick with natural browns?

I have some spare (20kg) or so of gold(light brown) 3mm and 5kg of 3mm red(dark brown) (these are the LFS names, natural gravel not painted BTW).
Im wondering if a darker, like a black (tank cabinet is black) would be better(if i can get it) Would it be too dark ? over that entire area, look unatural? Would I get better contrast, ie make the fish stand out more on the darker substrate?

Im going to need a few bags, was also wondering if I did get the black to toss the spare stuff in (as the bottom layer) as well just to make it up. I guess over time it might get scattered and appear in the black, would this look weird?
Lots of umms and ahhs

My 5footer
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2379/2242540621_1a81dcb3c8.jpg
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2008 23:11Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
It'll come down to preferences with this.

Personally I don't really like the blacks, for background or gravel. I've found that it just makes the tank look REALLY dark, especially if the lighting in the room is brighter than the tank lights. If the tank is going to be in a room that doesn't have many windows, and no overhead lighting you may do ok.

I'd stick with the gravel you already have, it sounds very natural to me. As for combining the two colors, yes they'll mix as you do gravel vacs. Bad if you want just plain black, but in nature the gravels all mixed up anyway.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2008 00:54Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
I would say some of the Dark Brown gravel would look excellent in there, as it looks both natural and sleek at the same time. The only reason i went for black in my nano is for the plants to sort of "Pop" out and glow greener! I have to agree with babel though, the black makes the tank look very very small, and my tank it is ok, as it is supposed to be, but a large tank it is better for a brighter color to extend the look of space and room.

Try some flourite colored bunches. If you like the look of flourite, then id just mix the red, a very little bit of black, and the natural for a very very natural look. IMO this helps me concentrate on th fish more than the plants!

Good luck, and choose what you like. It is pure opinion, and we dont want you to be unhappy with the look.

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2008 02:43Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Keep away form any one colour it looks boring and unnatural. Mine is a mix of natural brown/white colours and sizes 1-3mm. They are also different shapes and sizes making it far more natural looking. I would go for at least 3ins -80mm deep.
In my 5ft tank I have also tossed in a few hand-fulls of different sizes up to 10mm just to make it look more natural.
Next step I would sieve out all the fines first this is going to take you some time but do it as you are going along cleaning it in other words sieve the next lot as you are washing the pre seived lot.
Just for your reference keep a record of every thing you buy for that tank you will get a big shock.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2008 07:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
I thought you might like to see a beautiful tank with
a black substrate:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/Mediator/FreshWater%20Planted/P11.jpg

No, it is not mine. Someone submitted this as an entry
for our last FP, AquaScape, Contest.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2008 09:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mews
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 33
Votes: 1
male australia
thanks for the thoughts. I drove around a number of LFS today and did find one with a few black tanks. I think my fear, summary and what some of you said is correct. Its certainly striking to look at, but I feel the scale of mine will end up a black whole and "stark"?. While I may get away with it if all the plants took etc etc because most of it would be covered with greenery. A natural red and gold look would be best/safer And I already have some of it to mix.

Just for your reference keep a record of every thing you buy for that tank you will get a big shock.
tee hee already in shock!! tis ok I'm back to work on monday.. holidays are always expensive. however off topic I got the house renovating done my daughter is in her own room, we moved the small tank in with her, so while the hip pocket is long died of a heart attack the jobs is done. My boys room needs another day or so of work, then his yabbie tank will also be in with him, I will have regained a lounge and space for the beast.

My 5footer
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2379/2242540621_1a81dcb3c8.jpg
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2008 13:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishsage
-----
Hobbyist
Tank You Daddy.
Kudos: 53
Votes: 16
male canada
My only comment is that when we got the gravel for our 55, we went a little too light on the natural side of brown, so some of our fish tend to be washed out looking.... the gravel is kind of "fish coloured"
If natural is the way to go, I'm gonna go a little darker next time...
Dan

55G -5x Bosemani, 3x Emerald Cory,3x Red Rainbow, 3x Turquoise Rainbow. 20G-Empty. 10G -4x Danio 3x Cory Fry 1 Gold Mystery Snail. 10G- 1x CAE, 2x Tetra 1x ADF
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2008 20:39Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Twilight
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 76
Votes: 92
female canada
Funny you should mention that, as it's the fish I want to keep that help me determine the colour of the substrate. Sounds weird, I know, but it's true.

I vote! Do you?
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2008 22:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
platy boy
-----
Banned
Kudos: 74
Votes: 30
male canada
EditedEdited by platy boy

go for black it looks way better!!!

33 gallon 7 neon tetras-5 platys-3 bleeding heart tetras-2 corys-1 rainbow shark-2 L83 gibby plecos
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2008 04:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
Hunt around for a few posts in photo booth. Some tanks may be set up similar to what your gravel (gravel mix) will be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2008 06:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
amilner
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 654
Votes: 0
male uk
Natural for me every time.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2008 01:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
So what did you go for mews?

What are you stocking?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2008 06:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies