Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
At 10:30 last night my 55g tank decided to spring a leak. The whole front of the tank has separated from the silicone.
I dont have anywhere to put all my plants but the fish are in a spare tank for now.

Just venting

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 23:55Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
BUMMER!

Find a clean bucket (pots & pans?) and keep the
plants emersed in water.
Or,
Wrap your plants in wet newspapers and keep them wet.
Most of them should be fine until you buy a new tank.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2009 01:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have a clean black plastic bin from Bunnings on hand all the time and I have had to use it several times.
In one way you were lucky just think what would have happened if you were in bed asleep. I hope it did not do any damage.
If the tank is cracked it might be covered by your fixed glass insurance, or any water damage done.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2009 02:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
Luckily there was no water damage done to the carpet.
Its not cracked, just the silicone seal is no longer a seal.
I am glad I was still awake to hear the water trickle or it would of got to the carpet!
The plants are in a couple of buckets until I work out what I am doing.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2009 15:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
donovan
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 26
Votes: 143
male usa
does this sort of thing happen often ?,,,just all the sudden the seal stops working
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2009 05:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
It depends on the age of the tank, even what chemicals are used in the tank. The silicone only has a average life span of 10-12 years. It also depends on the quality and how the silicone was applied.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith ::Y

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2009 08:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
welcome to the club Lindy, We have a secret handshake

Glad you didn't have any water damage, that'd make things even worse.

We lost about 25 gallons out the back of our tank and into the wall of the house (actually spotted it seeping out the gaps in the bricks outside).

We still have to figure out where our tank started leaking

^_^

Post InfoPosted 02-May-2009 10:21Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
donovan
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 26
Votes: 143
male usa
so after about 10 years they should be resealed ? just hate to think what a mess 55g would make
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2009 18:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 02-Sep-2009 10:55
This post has been deleted
apandaepidemic
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 0
Is resealing a tank something one can do at home? Now I'm nervous about my two 29's, I got them from friends but I know they're pretty old.
Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2009 05:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Bablefish and Lindy! You have to teach me that secret handshake. I'm now a member of "The Leaky Tank Club". Saturday morning, I awoke to "Kelly get in here. The 40gal is leaking!" I imagine my shock and dismay, to find about 15 gallons had dripped out the backside of the tank in the wee hours of the morning. It soaked through the carpet, the subfloor and down to the basement, where low and behold, it soaked through half of my "Stephen King Collection" and quite a few other books dear to me and the kids.

Well, I've managed to save 10+ gallons of tank water. (My hubby promptly went out and got a 10gal. to put the saved water, and fish. I'm also floating my plants in there.) I have the flourite and about 1/2 gallon of tank water in a bucket. Hopefully any pond snails and baby MTS buried in the flourite will be okay in that. I have my rocks and gravel in a different bucket. And the driftwood somewhat soaking in yet another bucket.

The fish are disoriented because it was done in a rush, and the tank is bare bottom.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2009 01:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 94
male usa us-california
WOW. Sorry to here about your tank. You can fix the tank yourself. Look in the DIY section on this site, I believe I have seen instructions on how to do it. I hope you don't loose any fish. I have a 55gal and if it develops a leak or breaks all I have to put everybody in is a 20gal, that could get crowded. Best of luck.
Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2009 01:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Funny thing is.... It's a blessing in disquise.. sorta. I've been asking for a ity, bity tank for inverts and emergency qt. Now I get one! I've already got the first aquarium silicone sealant curing as we speak, er post. I'm going to double seal and cure the tank. I don't mind seeing extra sealant in the corners as long as it doesn't leak. (Man! what a vinegar high I got that first night!)

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2009 02:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies