Subscribeeheim pro 2 orings
Goh

-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 23
Votes: 1
male australia au-victoria
Hi guys,
Haven't been on this forum for years now! but i've just been pottering along now with my tank and not changing much and everything seems to be going fine.
i have one problem tho, i think the oring on my eheim pro 2 2028 is starting to get a little dodgy and i want to replace it, or at least have a spare or two on hand.
I went to the LFS and they want $50 (or there abouts) for a oring! i rang around and it seems to be the going rate. i couldn't believe how expensive a piece of rubber could get!

so i was just wondering if anyone has found a cheaper supplier for these orings? btw im in melb

cheers
jono

Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2010 07:04Profile ICQ PM Edit Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 94
male usa us-california
I am not familiar with eheim filters but maybe this site will help. http://www.mcmaster.com/#
Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2010 07:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
http://www.thereefshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=index

They are in Melb and are possibly the cheapest for Eheim

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2010 07:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Goh

-----
Big Fish
lowlight, thanks for the suggestion but am not too sure a hardware supplies store would be suitable. the oring is a bit of a funny shape... but im not sure if the oring has to be that specific funny shape.

keithgh, thanks for the link to the reef shop, had a look around but it doesn't look like they list things like o rings. i've sent them an email enquiring about it, so i guess i'll have to wait and see.

Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2010 20:26Profile ICQ PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Once you do get a new oring, be sure to maintain it. When you do changes run your finger along the ring to make sure there's no debris stuck on it. Also check around for some O ring grease. Usually this is silicone, not sure if that's aquarium safe, though there shouldn't be any cross contamination. Found this stuff on a google search.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2010 23:38Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Goh

-----
Big Fish
hi babelfish,
thanks for the advice. i do always try and keep the oring clean and maintain it whenever i clean the filter. i simply use vaseline/petroleum jelly and have had no problems yet. it is the same stuff that eheim provides with the filter.

however i sometimes have a bit of trouble getting the oring out of the head unit to give it a good rinse.... anyone got any tips for getting it out?

Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2010 01:35Profile ICQ PM Edit Delete Report 
Goh

-----
Big Fish
just got word back from the reef shop, unfortunately they do not stock the orings... oh well...

if i really have to start forking out 50$ for an oring, im not too sure if id rather just spend more and get a whole new filter or not....

Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2010 01:37Profile ICQ PM Edit Delete Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 94
male usa us-california
Have you tried this site? http://eheimparts.com/client/homepage.aspx
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2010 08:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Goh

-----
Big Fish
thanks lowlight, seems like they have them for around 25usd, will have to see if they can post overseas.

Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2010 11:17Profile ICQ PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
I'm wondering if a very small piece of electrical tape to form a tab would work to get the ring out easier. I could see how having trouble getting it out would result it it possibly getting jabbed a bit and then degrading it

How often have you had to replace the ring $50 every few years doesn't seem like too bad of an expense, compared to getting a new filter anyway. If that company does ship overseas you might consider getting a few so you wont have to pay shipping the next time.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2010 22:26Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited 11-Mar-2010 02:41
this place ships to Australia, as I have used them myself.

Pro II 2028 Parts
http://www.aquaristikshop.com/cgi-bin/neu/webshop.pl?t=e_2028&userid=czATwnZcqrHdKg3ud07hTa6hvKLysJfHeFC

Payment is by PayPal.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2010 02:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I have never replaced any thing on my Eheim Pro11 I bought it as soon as it was released in Aust years ago.

Possibly because because off the monthly cleaning and the way I do it.

I have only ever used a Silicone product called Super Lube
its a product of Synco Chemical Corp Bohemia NY USA

I once available in Aust at selected fishing tackle and Gun shops.
I have also used this on all my fishing gear.

Some people are using Vaseline to do the same job.

I smear it on the top surface of the Canister.
I also use it on the small impeller in my HOB filter.
I had a very slight rattle and it stopped it immediately.
If you do a google I think it can be bought in NZ

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2010 02:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Goh

-----
Big Fish
babelfish, i've actually never replaced the oring. i've had it since.... er.... 2002 maybe... so its been around 8 or so years. i must say the eheim has held up well. as for the electrical tape idea it might work... but it might cause the seal to fail???

TW, thanks for that link... they seem to be even cheaper! 10 euro each. i actually need to also get a new pump over as i snapped the little springy bit which locks it inplace/lets you take it out. and its only 2.60euro as opposed to 15 aus!.

keithgh, i've actually never replaced anything on my pro 2 either in the 8 or so years ive had it. im more wanting the extra oring as more of an insurance so if it does fail i have something to replace it with. I have noticed tho that sometimes after cleaning the filter there will be a tiny tiny leak, but is easily fixed by slabbing on a bit more vaseline on the oring.
as for the pump cover, i just accidentally snapped it somehow, so that was my own fault.
just curious, why do you smear the lubricant on the top of the cannister?? and by top, which part do you mean exactly??

Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2010 03:16Profile ICQ PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
EditedEdited 11-Mar-2010 09:05
Spare Parts

why do you smear the lubricant on the top of the canister?? and by top, which part do you mean exactly??

I am referring to this rubber seal which is often referred to a "O" ring.

The top edge of the canister is the seal when it connects to that "seal"

That is the only part I put on the Silicon "Super Lube"

If this is not the part you are referring to what part number is it.

When buying from Germany consider all the costs, including postage, money exchange rate plus any bank charges for a foreign currency.

All Eheim suppliers Aust

This is a link to the Aust Distributor plus every LFS in Aust that sells Eheim.

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2010 08:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited 11-Mar-2010 22:27
TW, thanks for that link... they seem to be even cheaper! 10 euro each. i actually need to also get a new pump over as i snapped the little springy bit which locks it inplace/lets you take it out. and its only 2.60euro as opposed to 15 aus!.
In case you decide to put in a big order, keep in mind that if you import goods that value AUD $1,000 or more, Aussie Customs make you fill out forms & make you pay an import tariff / tax. Keep your order below that, and your order breeeses through. Check out the replacement sponges for your filter too - much cheaper if you buy a bunch via that site, than buying locally on-line.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2010 20:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Goh

-----
Big Fish
keithgh, i am also referring to the oring/head gasket (as eheim calls it), just didnt realise you meant the oring when you said the top of the cannister.
with the oring, do you take it out to give it a clean??? if so how do you do it?? i cant seem to get mine out... the only way i can think of doing would be to stick a knife down the side and lift it out but may damage it in the process.

TW, thanks for the info again. Im not sure why but companies seem to charge a premium just because its in Australia. Its a similar story with some of the car parts i have bought. it ends up being about half the price including the postage, which is crazy!

Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2010 22:28Profile ICQ PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *

When buying from Germany consider all the costs, including postage, money exchange rate plus any bank charges for a foreign currency.
Keith, I've looked at all that and IMO it is still soooo worth ordering via this German site.

This is a link to the Aust Distributor plus every LFS in Aust that sells Eheim.
Compare the prices, though Keith. I bought the eheim double taps - the extra we are charged here is quite dramatic. You have to keep in mind that if you order electricals, they are on the same voltage - but you need a travel type plug. Also, make sure you are comfortable with the fact that the eheim warranty wouldn't be valid in Australia. If you stick with ordering non electricals & considering the quality of eheim products anyway, you're unlikely to strike problems. Not saying problems are impossible, just unlikely. For the cost savings, it's a risk I'm more than happy to accept. So far, I've placed about 3-4 orders through them. Communication with them via email is good & there have been no issues with non received or damaged items either.

Their tracking system can throw you off a bit with your first order. Tracking will tell you that the item has been delivered, but you won't have it yet. I contacted them & DHL, who told me that their system shows Aussie items as delievered when DHL Germany hands your parcel over to the agents of Australia Post at their border. So it still may take a week after that until you receive your goods.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2010 22:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited 11-Mar-2010 22:44
TW, thanks for the info again. Im not sure why but companies seem to charge a premium just because its in Australia. Its a similar story with some of the car parts i have bought. it ends up being about half the price including the postage, which is crazy!
Yeah, what is it with that. Shouldn't our Aussie retailers, who buy in bulk & from wholesalers, be able to bring stuff in heaps cheaper than us?

Or is it that our retailer / importers larger orders are hit with so much import tarrif / tax that they have to bump the price up so much?

I bought a Garmen GPS (running / watch type) from the USA. Cost me around $200 or so less than here. Warranty still valid, as long as I post it back to the USA. As it's a watch, that's not really such a big deal - but no problems so far. Asic running shoes can also be posted in more cheaply than we can buy here. No point buying electricals from the USA though, unless they are dual voltage - as USA is on 110V & we are on 240V. I almost made a costly mistake before I knew that one - luckily the US retailer let me cancel the order.

Also helps right now that our dollar is currently stacking up well against foreign currency, as that can have an impact on whether or not it's worthwhile.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2010 22:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Goh

-----
Big Fish
TW, the importers are probably hit with a higher import tariff, but they prob also bump up the price because they can! i reckon the reason they think they can hit us hard is because we are on an island which is relatively far away from everywhere else.
i got a car part which would have cost me about 500 aud here, but i picked it up in london for just under 200aud, and i also could have claimed the vat back (which was meant to be about 50GBP, not sure why it was so high!?), but the guy gave me the wrong forms to claim back... but it was still a big saving so i wasn't too fussed.

now just trying to think what else i can grab at the same time....

Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2010 23:44Profile ICQ PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Heh whenever Adam and I go to the states we stock up on clothes, camera gear, shoes (doc martins for $20! converse for the same!) books, anything small and not too fragile that fits in the luggage. Last time we only took over one suitcase and brought back four.

anyway.

Yeah, a piece of tape may cause the seal to leak, but if it's small enough it may just become part of the seal. Electrical tape bends. Plumbers tape might work but I'd think it'd be too fragile. I'm thinking back to walkmans used to have a ribbon behind the battery compartment (tapes removable batteries did I just carbon date myself !) so you could easily pop the battery out. Ribbon wouldn't work here, one cause of the wicking action and two cause it's too fat and wouldn't keep the seal, but electrical or plumbers tape might. Could be worth a try on the old ring once you get the new one in.

Alternatively and old credit card or thin piece of plastic may be able to get in under it without jabbing at the ring the way a screwdriver would.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2010 23:54Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies