SubscribeWhy I love My Country
aaronfry
----------
Hobbyist
?
Kudos: 55
Votes: 159
male usa
Came across this news article earlier today.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA040607.04A.blind_hunt.317f1af.html

"No whammy, No whammy, No whammy, STOP!!"

1984-Michael Larsen On Press Your Luck
Post InfoPosted 09-Apr-2007 22:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Is it just me, or does anyone else find that scary

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2007 00:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Doedogg
---------------
Banned
Kudos: 737
Votes: 445
female usa
at least his seeing eye dog isn't doing the shooting

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
~ Mae West
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2007 01:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
and it is reassuring he must be accompanied by a full sighted person of at least 13 years of age - so that is a relief

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2007 01:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Now you know why I quit hunting...

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2007 03:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Doedogg
---------------
Banned
Kudos: 737
Votes: 445
female usa
I love the last line
"One of the reasons we liked it is because it's a reasonable accommodation,"

To me allowing blind people to shoot guns isn't reasonable in any way.

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
~ Mae West
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2007 03:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
It would have been cheaper just to give the dude a cluster bomb. Maybe he can use dynamite when he goes fishing. Better yet, nerve gas.

I have a disabled aunt , and im by no means prejudiced against disabled people, and I know youre not supposed to say they shouldnt or couldnt do anything, but...

... its no use.. im trying...but i JUST CANT...CONTAIN..IT..the rant...must....come..

Hunting using lasers? What the bloody hell is the point? In what precise way does this fulfil the hunting instinct in man?

If he honed his instincts, smell for tracking, sound for pinpointing the target etc id be impressed. But this is just silly, and killing the animals proves nothing.

I could shoot the testes off a fly at 50 feet with a 2.2 pistol, but seriously, whats the point? In fact I am actually such a good shot, I dont consider shooting to be really hunting. Bring down that moose with your bare hands and ill give you a cigar!

So why should this dude be encouraged to blast the hell out of the woods for something he cant even see, truly experience, or perhaps in another sense even realise what it is precisely that hes doing? Perhaps if he actually saw the death, he might decide against it. It occurs to me he may not see the waste, the horror, or the pain in what he is being encouraged to do. Dude might as well play an audio desriptive version of halo and spare the animals.

Presumably , unless he wants to end up deaf as well as blind he'll be using earmuffs or something, and so his experience of the event is limited in the extreme.Just WHAT IS THE POINT?
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2007 05:29Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
Well said LHG. This article is so worrying on so many levels to me. Just re-read it to see that
at the moment there are no requirements for legally blind hunters in Texas. All they need to hunt is a valid Texas Hunting license. There is no requirement that they must be accompanied by anyone, either

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2007 06:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Racso
---------------
----------
Mega Fish
Some Assembly Required
Kudos: 1442
Votes: 35
male usa us-ohio
Hunting for "sport" annoys me. How the heck is it a sport when you use a high tech (or even low teck) peice of machinery against an unarmed, unaware, harmless animal that is many yards away. I sorry but if you can't kill an animal with a gun, then... well... this a family site so you can imagine what I want to say.

Now hunting to feed your family and actually use the whole body, not just kill it and say, "YAY" is another thing. I actually have a small desire to rough it for a few weeks and use a bow & arrow to hunt.

Now I know that because we humans were stupid and decided to kill off preditors, we now have to control populations.

[/rant 1]

Now, as for letting blind people hunt!!?? For heavens sake! How many people will be shot to death and the person shooting is innocent because he/she is blind!!??

[/rant 2]
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2007 16:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
hmmmmmm *shakes head*

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2007 17:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
aaronfry
----------
Hobbyist
?
male usa
I am only for the Americans' With Disabilities act but come on. My only suggestion is that someone needs to get him a playstation. This way he can shoot at animals with laser guided weapons and as a bonus effect he won’t have to wait for his partner turn 13.

Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2007 18:11Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
male uk
Im pretty sure that last comment wasnt supposed to be as funny as it turned out to be. Im in tears .

ahahahahahahahaahahaaaaaaaah!
/:'
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2007 15:35Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Kunzman96
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 91
Votes: 115
male usa
It all comes from this big movement in the U.S. to be politically correct, and sensitive to all. So many things are being changed for the worse under the guise of progress. I hunt and have been shot at before while hunting I can not imagine how much worse it would be if the blind are allowed to hunt in my state. I may have to quit myself. Oh, and by the way we use every part of the animal accept some of the bones and the intestines. I give it all to my Mom so she can get back to her Cherokee roots once a year.

"Talk is cheap. Action can be almost as affordable"
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2007 06:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
amazondon
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 17
Votes: 15
male usa us-pennsylvania
It seems that the point of the non-blind hunter assisting in the aiming has been overlooked.
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2007 08:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
amazondon
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 17
Votes: 15
male usa us-pennsylvania
And the laser is simply a device to assist in aiming, not the weapon itself. I don't hunt much anymore(I haven't in a couple years). When I did it was a family outing. I think that hunting is wonderful for family bonding if use is made of the kill. In some areas hunting is a tradition. Although it isn't as necessary as it has been in days past it can still ease the burden of struggling families in rural areas.
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2007 08:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
lol we know what the laser is , but its still cheating, and if this dude has the laser sight tied into a device that is supposed to help him tell friend from foe, or where hes aiming , bearing in mind he's effectively blind, I sure as hell wouldnt want to be in the woods that day!

Lasers sights for hunting, sheesh, might as well take a grenade launcher to kill squirrels in trees. If people want to take laser sights hunting they might as well aknowledge that they have no decernable talents concerning marksmanship whatsoever, and just own up to being a psycho who kills for fun.

Laser sights are for special forces folks who have to shoot terrorists in smoky rooms they just let off grenades and tear gas into after all the light bulbs blew out. No-one else needs one!

Its overkill, like hunting snails with a jeep.
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2007 09:13Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ClownyGirl
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 311
Votes: 5
female india
"You can hunt, but it's difficult," he said. "He tells me to move up, down, left or right, and once I'm on target he tells me when to shoot."

Why can't he just use a water pistol or something and shoot some inanimate objects in his back yard.
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2007 12:03Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
I can understand why some people don't like hunting. In the modern age of the supermarket, actually trekking out into the woods/pond/whatever seems unnecessary and more than a bit strange (and possibly cruel, depending on how rabid you are about anti-hunting), especially when the stated goal is to kill one or more of the animals that live there.

However, for those that really hunt, and not just these idiots sitting in their truck cab with a high-powered rifle blasting at anything that moves, there is a visceral thrill to it. There is something deep and primal which can make us feel much more alive than we do simply sitting at an office desk all day moving numbers around.

I am an unashamed hunter. I've been deer and turkey hunting (although not recently), and I still duck hunt whenever I can (Tasty! !). I also fish on just about any day that ends in "y".

All that being said, the concept of blind hunting still doesn't quite ring true with me, and has me more than a little worried. For me, hunting is about as close as I can get to going back to a state where humans get out of this plastic and concrete monstrosity we've built up and are as close as we can now get to being part of the natural world. I'm all for the blind going out and enjoying nature, but do they really need to be armed? Jeez.

Joe Potato
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2007 15:22Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
aaronfry
----------
Hobbyist
?
male usa
I am all for Hunting just use most of the kill. In years past I was against Hunting except save for the bow hunters. I also thought it was unfair that we used High Powered Semi Automatic Weapons and all the poor animal had was its natural instincts. That has changed once I learned about the difficulty involved with actually killing a Deer with a Bow. Having instructed Archery for several years it crossed my mind that some people would not take the time to learn how to properly shoot a bow but instead would try to learn on the fly and in doing so would end up harming and not killing and now some poor animal has to walk around for a day or so with an arrow sticking out of its butt. So now I prefer that some one use a gun just not a blind guy with laser assisted sight. I have never personally been hunting however I do come from a fishing town and this I think helps me to understand that there are just some stupid people that should not be fishing so that also must apply to Hunting. Also LHG I laughed just as hard typing it so I am glad somebody found humor in it.

Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2007 16:04Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
I'm unaware of any state that allows semi-automatic rifles for hunting, and I'm damn glad for that. There's no place in the sport for the idiots who use them, because normally they're of a caliber too small to do anything to medium sized game (like deer) beyond maim them. It would be seriously difficult to put down a deer with a .223 (an M-16 round) at a distance; I'm sure it could be done, but I wouldn't want to try because I'm afraid that it would take me at least 3 shots.

As far as semi-auto shotguns, those are used with some regularity in bird hunting, be it upland bird or waterfowl. It is, for the most part, unnecessary for turkey hunting, and one could argue unnecessary for the other two types of bird hunting as well. I've used semi-auto, pump action, and over/under shotguns while hunting. I don't feel that semi-auto shotguns are really needed; pump action shotguns fulfill the role just fine for me.

As far as archery goes, I do a bit of target shooting and I've shot in a competition once or twice shooting a recurve. I've never been bow hunting but I would really like to soon, sort of how I would like to go blackpowder hunting at some point. Unfortunately, I have neither the time nor the money to pursue such goals as college is both time-consuming and expensive.

Joe Potato
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2007 03:00Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies