AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# Matt's new planted tank log
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMatt's new planted tank log
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
Agreed!!!

Geez, I post a few comments a week and I get into a debate about poop?

Where's LF? I guess I'll go pick on him for a while. Something about his flat 125g?

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2006 01:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Matty, another Leo. Checked your profile and your BDay is 9 days before mine.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2006 01:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
I knew we could come to some agreement this time.

At least I don't have to apologize to LF for cluttering up his log like last time.

So we decided that maybe my algae got a foothold because of my fishless cycle, but did we decide what to do about it now(without talking more about feeding, for the record I'll be continuing with 2 small feedings per day)?

Happy almost shared birfday robyn

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2006 01:38Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
but did we decide what to do about it now(without talking more about feeding, for the record I'll be continuing with 2 small feedings per day)?
O.K. I can't mention feeding, can I say nutriential servings

I guess the only thing to do is reduce lighting if possible to 6 hours and don't add anymore stock.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2006 02:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
don't add anymore stock.

The thought hadn't crossed my mind

I'll bring the lights down a bit then I think I'm at 9 hrs right now.

Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2006 03:43Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Where's LF?
I am right here, just happen to have had all day meetings and such fun things. So this is what happens when I leave you guys alone for two days, wars are declared, alliances between birthsigns are formed, poop is thrown around, and what not

Anyway, glad that you guys at least agree somewhat on what may be the cause. All of this does not explain the deaths though. I am with NowherMan6, sometimes fish just die. But not in a short interval with zero sign of sickness. That is mindboggeling. Unfixable stress from shipping?

Oh, I am an archer (sagittarius, or how do you spell that), so no funny business here, ok?

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 10:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
EditedEdited by Wingsdlc
While we are at it....
Aries (Mar 21- Apr 19) - is the cardinal/fire sign. Aries people need to keep physically busy. They accomplish many things simply because of their restless energy. They need to learn how to make constructive use of their energetic efforts. The typical Aries urge is to take on more than can be done reasonably well. Though others may find it difficult to keep pace with an Aries, they are attracted to their animation and spirited personality.
This seems to make sense right about now in my life...

At this point Matty I wouldn't make any large changes just to see what happens. Once you start making changes, who knows what the causes are.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 15:05Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
But not in a short interval with zero sign of sickness

I think it can happen. If these fish were relatively new stock, i.e. only at the store for a few days before being brought home, I can see them dying off in large numbers. Call it poor genetics of the fish, stress from relocation, whatever. I just think it happens sometimes.

Heck, look at tetra and his cardinals pre-UV. His would just turn up dead, as I remember. Some fish are just weaker and can't deal.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 16:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Nah, I never buy fish at the store when they just come in. The threadfins I remember were in the store for at least 2-3 months and the praecox were in at least one month. The furcatas were there a very long time, as I remember I didn't want to buy them as tiny as they were. They probably nearly doubled in size at the store before I bought them. For some reason rainbows aren't the most popular fish in the store, I guess.

These fish shipped fine and were never treated for anything at the store, they were fine there too. Then they spent a good monnth or more in my tank before they decided to start kicking off.

It's something about my tank conditions that these fish aren't pleased with. There's no doubt about that. Weak fish, maybe, but they sure looked good for a while.

Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 17:15Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
That changes everything then. It's interesting.

Maybe some species just need to be in an established tank to thrive? And maybe there's more to an established tank than 0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrite? I don't know

The second question, of course, is how a school of threadfin rainbows managed to stay unbought for 2-3 months

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 17:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I dunno how they didn't get sold, it's not like they are that expensive at $5 each. A lot of our customer base doesn't really know what's up. "I want something colorful" "gee those, umm...they aren't...colorful? " I get frustrated with the customers at times, if you can't tell. Those are the costomers that usually end up buying dalmation mollies, perhaps one of the least colorful fish ever. I guess I shouldn't talk though, I can't even keep the rainbows alive.

Yep, maybe I should have stocked with something less sensitive, but that doesn't IMO explain why they are still dieing. The tank is what I'd call established now or even a month or more ago, and that's when they started dieing. I guess I'm just going to have to wait it out with waterchanges. If I end up with no fish left in a couple months, I'll know that I need to change everything.

Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 18:40Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
nellis
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
Matt... don't stress put too much about them. I had problems keeping the furcatas and threadfins alive for a while too. I gave up on the furcatas and now i have threadfins and gertrudes, which are finally doing fine, despite occasional neglect.

I think dwarf rainbows just tend to be weak. They're little fish. Maybe there's something going on inside their tiny bodies that we simply just don't understand yet, despite our best efforts. I think eventually your stock will thin to a few strong guys that will never die. Things just have to sort themselves out.
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2006 06:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Thanks Nate, hopefully that's the case and they are just weak. I just get upset about it because I haven't had a problem with fish dieing in 5 or 6 yrs.

Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2006 17:58Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Well I got my new camera, and was giving it a whirl on the 50g tank. I haven't quite got it down yet, but I'm feeling confident I will after another couple sessions. Right now I only have the 16mb card that came with the camera, so I get like 10 pics at a time, so I haven't gone all out yet because of the back and forth to the computer thing. I'll be getting a bigger card for xmas. I can't help but like this camera 100X more than my old one already. So much easier to get good pics. The one thing I'm really having to re-learn is basically the right settings to get the right light and shutter speed and whatnot. Everything else is cake. So on to the pics I guess.

Here's the outcome of photo shoot 1 and 2:

Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2006 02:27Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
And here's another sampling:

Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2006 02:53Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Nice pictures Matt! I can't wait to see them after you have every thing figured out with the new camera.

The colors seem to look pretty realistic with this camera. Nothing is overly bright or too dark. Nice work my friend. BTW what did you get for a camera.

Your red plant is a type of ludwigia right? I really like how deep red that plant is.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2006 15:58Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Nice Matty, It's a shame you don't know how to use the camera

I really like the first pic and the one with the big pearl.
Your rainbow pics will give LF a run for the money.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2006 16:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Thanks Guys, I think LF's pics of the rainbows are better than mine, cause he caught them shining blue, I've yet been able to do that. I also have some pics of my salt tank. Go check those out cause nobody else will. I've been talking to myself over there for the last couple months. I'm having a little harder time taking clean, properly colored pics of stuff in that tank, so the pics aren't quite as good.

I ended up taking your advice tetratech, and I got an IS. I also kept with the smaller point and shoot style too. The camera is a canon A710 IS. It had all the features I wanted, IS, big 6x zoom, manual focus, large viewing screen, super macro, and all that other fun stuff. I found it going as cheap as the a630 and no shipping charge, so I couldn't pass it up.

I have to admit tetratech, the IS is a pretty cool feature, one that would be impossible to pass up now that I've experienced it first hand. Glad I listened to you that much.

And yes the red plant in my tank is the ludwigia glandulosa. It's gotta be one of my favorite red plants, not too difficult to grow either.

Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2006 18:20Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
I have to admit tetratech, the IS is a pretty cool feature, one that would be impossible to pass up now that I've experienced it first hand. Glad I listened to you that much.

Glad you take my recovery room advice.

Anyway, great camera, I'm sure you'll have a good time with it. If you haven't upgraded your memory card you might want to consider this. http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-SDSDPH-1024-901-Ultra-Retail-Package/dp/B0009HTB0Y/sr=1-2/qid=1163782146/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-1830850-9147837?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

It rotates into a USB connection, so you don't have to worry about a card reader or attaching a cable. I've had one for about 4 months and it works great.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2006 18:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Glad you take my recovery room advice.

Hey! So far I've turned the lights down and haven't bought any fish, despite seeing some nice stuff at work every week.

Wow that's a pretty cool little gadget. I'll look into getting one of those. Right now I just plug the camera into the computer, which isn't too much of a hassle, but I'm sure that would be easier.

Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2006 18:58Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
EditedEdited by NowherMan6
AHEM! full tank shot, please, full tank

:: cough cough ::

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2006 20:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
You have to at least comment on the pictures already posted to request a full tank shot nowher .... where's your nettiquite?

Anyways, I have to wait until the second light comes on or else the pics come out dark. I'll post it up later.

Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2006 21:20Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
nellis
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
I second the l. glandulosa shot... it looks amazing back-lit. You should let it grow to the surface and creep sideways a little to give that corner a reddish cast.
Post InfoPosted 18-Nov-2006 06:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Your pics are so clear now. Very nice.

Is that good "nettiquite". Can I ask for a full shot now please?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2006 08:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 19-Nov-2006 08:59
This post has been deleted
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Is that good "nettiquite". Can I ask for a full shot now please?

Yes, and thanks for the nice comments. Sorry I've haven't gotten around to taking this pic. I've switched gears over to the viv again. I'll get to it in the next couple days, I promise.

Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2006 16:43Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi Matt,
I was looking at those pictures and the tank is indeed
beautiful and the photography stunning.
It got me thinking... You know, that eighth picture.
The solitary picture of the red plant, properly cropped
would make an amazing avatar.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2006 17:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
The solitary picture of the red plant, properly cropped
would make an amazing avatar.

Thanks for the comments Frank. I think it would make a nice avatar as well, but then I can't be the tenellus obsessor. I couldn't decide how much to crop it in the first place This is what the original looks like, how would you crop it?:

Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2006 01:24Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Nice detail shots, but I miss the overall that shows the destruction you mentioned a while ago, aka algae.

And nice new camera work there, too

Hey, as a side note, when looking at your Pearl Grass shot, seems like we both do not have MM but HM. I saw last week some Amano Pearl Grass and it looks different, like only two leaves per node and not like a rosette like we have

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2006 00:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
seems like we both do not have MM but HM

ermm...what's MM? I've always thought I have hemianthus micranthemoides. I thought that's what pearl grass is. Maybe what you saw wasn't pearl grass? Maybe I'm confused(most likely)?

and not like a rosette like we have

The only rosette plant I have is E. tenellus. The rest are stems, including the hemianthus micranthemoides. I agree It has 3 leaves per node, but it's definitely a stem. Or are you saying the stuff you saw was a rosette?

Anywho I'm confused as I've always thought that what I have was HM, and I've thought we agreed that HM is pearl grass. Is HM not pearl grass? I'm pretty certain that what I have is HM. I did a lot of looking around about that one too.

Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2006 16:46Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa

You have to forgive the old man, I think I am getting lost in the aquatic plant jungle.

Somehow I managed to get almost everything confused

I guess what I want to say is that I have seen Amano Pearl Grass, and ours does not look like it, although it is called Pearl Grass as well. That's all

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2006 20:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Sooo...we have pearl grass, but not Amano pearl grass?

Whatever the case may be, whatever plant we do have is a stunner, and quickly became one of my fav's.

Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2006 23:24Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
quickly became one of my fav's
Oh oh,

Are you working your way to become a Pearl Grass Obsessor?

In any case, I agree, the plant is very versatile and can be used all over the tank in varying heights.

But yeah, we don't have Amano Pearl Grass, but that's ok.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 22-Nov-2006 10:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I don't think there's enogh characters for me to be labeled tenellus/pearl grass obsessor.

Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2006 05:32Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Ok, I promised a FTS so here I am to deliver. It needed a trimming desperately so I didn't want to take a picture before I got to it.

FTS:

Side angle:

Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2006 21:54Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
The ludwigia is really pulling all the attention, even more so than the glosso fall . I know you just trimmed the tank, so I don't know how it looks under "normal" conditions, but the tenellus is almost worth a background plant in there as it is much taller than the rest of the bottom plants.

Otherwise, very very green

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 24-Nov-2006 04:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Looks great Matty

Looks like the lud is floating on a sea of pearlgrass.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 25-Nov-2006 15:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Thanks guys

The ludwigia is really pulling all the attention, even more so than the glosso fall

Yeah, I've decided that the glossofalls didn't work out the way I wanted and I'm going to be taking it all down over xmas break. The rest of my tank is doing great and is completely algae free at this point. I'd love to take it down in little steps over a couple weeks, but I'm not sure how I can do that with that little obstacle I've put in there. For the rescape I'm thinking about another low scape without too much in the way of fast growing stem plants, maybe a small group in one corner or something. I like how easy it is to maintain this setup. I'm thinking about doing more with shaping the gravel and rocks (more than I have now) to create the depth instead of tall stems and driftwood, but If I find a real nice piece, then I might go for that too.

Post InfoPosted 25-Nov-2006 20:48Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I'm thinking about doing more with shaping the gravel and rocks
Sounds good to me, but I would be a little careful with the gravel as a shaper as it tends to even out after a while. Rocks seem better suited for that job.

Yeah, I guess if you would like to remove the Glosso-Falls then there is only one way to do it: All at once. And I can imagine that this is not a task that one is looking forward to. I will keep my fingers crossed once when you get to it.

How is the algae in the falls? If it is still pretty bad then you may want to act sooner as it will spread into the Pearl Grass meadow before you know it.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 26-Nov-2006 13:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
The algae seems to be receding in coincidence with the fish not dying much anymore. I couldn't make time to do it now if that weren't the case anyways. It's about time for finals and whatnot. My fish will be lucky to get fed during the next 3 weeks.

Post InfoPosted 26-Nov-2006 16:23Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
My fish will be lucky to get fed during the next 3 weeks
Oh oh, I guess that means that we are not going to see a lot of entries from you in the next 3 weeks

I wish you a lot of luck with your tests and papers and whatever else you have to do.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 26-Nov-2006 17:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Oh oh, I guess that means that we are not going to see a lot of entries from you in the next 3 weeks

FP is my "get away from it for 15 mins" thing. So I'll pop in here and there, but not as much as I normally do. And thanks for the luck, I'll need it

Post InfoPosted 26-Nov-2006 17:34Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
So I'll pop in here and there
Well, maybe you can use that time to also visit one of my logs, or maybe even more than one

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 26-Nov-2006 18:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Matty,

Good luck with your finals. Once I make it through this week things are going to be smooth sailing after.

I have been tempted to so a set up mich like your next one. they seem so much simpler. More thining out then triming and replanting.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 27-Nov-2006 15:23Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
Matty,

Looks really great, I love the HM on the left, it really looks stunning with the Lud.

I can see what you mean about the glosso falls, but as far as experiments go it was a good one and didnt result in a scaping disaster. Agree with LF about taking it down at once. Also do a HUGE water chnage after.

But there will be more time to discuss that in about a month.

Good luck with finals!

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 27-Nov-2006 22:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Good luck with exams Matty

For the rescape I'm thinking about another low scape without too much in the way of fast growing stem plants
I like the sound of that. I thought you needed a bunch of those fast growing stems to suck up the nutrients & keep the algae at bay?

Will it work to have no fast growing stems at all?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 27-Nov-2006 23:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Thanks guys

I like the sound of that. I thought you needed a bunch of those fast growing stems to suck up the nutrients & keep the algae at bay?

Will it work to have no fast growing stems at all?

Well I think it will work out fine. Pearl grass is technically a stem, and a very fast growing one in my tank. Tenellus also grows pretty quick. I just took another 50 to my LFS tonight along with some pearl grass and got $40 for the group. I did the same 6 weeks ago. Those things grow at warp speed sometimes. Just harvesting those easily takes care of maintenence costs for the tank. I'll keep both those in the tank and maybe some stems in a corner. I think it should be OK.

Post InfoPosted 28-Nov-2006 03:03Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
We might have to work something out for the pearl grass sometime if you are up to it.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 28-Nov-2006 05:31Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 01-Dec-2006 23:20
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Just let me know and I am sure we can work something out Matt.

Being you have a salt tank. Try and breed them?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 02-Dec-2006 17:23Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Are they supposed to be pretty easy to breed? I doubt they'd last very long in my SW tank (the baby shrimpsters) and I would have to acclimate them over a period of weeks I think, so that's probably out of the question, unless I set up a dedicated tank to acclimate them to full SW salinity.

You got a how to link on raising amanos?

Post InfoPosted 02-Dec-2006 18:07Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
I think you're right about the shrimp matty. I don't think it's worth the effort. tiny shrimp will not last long at all even if you get them to hatch and catch them and transport them. probably much easier to just buy more.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 02-Dec-2006 19:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Nice shrimpster pictures Matty

Yeah, I also think that you won't be able to raise them. But keep on trying to find a link on how it would have to be done, as I would be interested myself. Maybe a brackish environment would be good enough? No idea ...

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Dec-2006 15:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Well I thought the carnage had stopped, but it seems that I was wrong. I'm now left with 13 fish. 7 preacox, 3 signifers, and 3 otos. A couple days ago I noticed the first signs of actual disease, and I've been looking this whole time. Kinda odd IMO that it pops up now.

Anyways, Heres a couple pics. Only one of my bulbs has turned on, so the pics are a bit dark. If you can't see it I'll try and get pics later.

These are both the same fish, no others are showing anything like this:

Lemme know what you guys think I should do. I'm not very good with diseases, I'm not really experienced in that department

Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2006 18:41Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I'm not really experienced in that department
I wish I could help you out but I am in the same department as you are. For the most part I haven't ever had too many issues since getting serious about the hobby. Working in a LFS is interesting when people come in asking for meds for their sick fish... Have the same problem?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2006 19:03Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Yeah, I do, but most people that come in asking for meds don't really have sick fish though. The fish are dieing because of NH4(new tank) or prolonged high NO3/pH drop(old tank, no water changes). If fish really are displaying symptoms of anything other than ich, I tend to get help with it. Our managers are really pretty good with IDing illness. They basically take care of 300 tanks of fish so disease happens all the time.

Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2006 19:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
Matty,

One of my old sparkling gourami had that:

Unfortunately she didn't respond to treatment, and eventually became more and more reclusive. I had to put her down. Keep an eye on him, but be prepared to send him to fishy heaven if he doesn't get better.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2006 19:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
Kudos: 215
Votes: 36
male finland
It looks a little bit like what my original trio of black mollies developed. According to the people at the LFS it was most likely fish tuberculosis. However, they also told me that most fish in general don't develop this desease even if the bug itself is present. The mollies were just more e to develop it because the water in Finland is very soft, while the mollies thrive better in harder water.

Take a look here and see if the symptoms you see are a bit like it:
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Keefer_FishTB.html

I'd also suggest you start a thread in the hospital forums where someone more knowledgable may be able to identify the cause.
Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2006 19:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Hows the fish doing Matt?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2006 14:52Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
As of lights out he was still alive. Lights come on in about an hour, but I won't be here. I suspect he'll hang on for a couple days at least. He was eating and swimming normal. That could be said for all the others that died though.

I put up a post in the hospital like you suggested Dr. Bonke.

Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2006 17:16Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Well the infected rainbow made it through the day, but a healthy looking oto kicked the bucket. I'm not sure what to think about this anymore.

Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2006 05:02Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Doesn't sound good Matt. I wish I could help but I am of no use to you. Have you showed the pictures to your bosses?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2006 15:08Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I've tried to describe it to them, but I don't have a good way to get the pic into work, my printer is no good, and you can't really see the problem on the original picture on the camera's screen. From what I described they said it could be a few things, and the best would be to dump x,y, and z in there at the same time for a couple weeks. which they said would probably annihilate the plants and bacterial filter.

Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2006 17:16Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Ouch... Thats not good at all. What are you thinking of doing?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2006 22:44Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Guess I'll have to wait it out. After xmas I'll redo the plant scape so that will take my mind off things. I was thinking about nuking everything, but then I remembered the amano shrimp that are doing just awesome in there. They would probably die from whatever parasite meds I use...most just target inverts. Summary - No clue.

Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2006 00:00Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Yeah don't kill off your Amano's they cost too much! I would guess they probably are not holding the issues at hand either.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2006 03:53Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Amano's don't cost much for me...but that's no reason to kill them. You are right. They are fine and dandy, all someteen of them.

Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2006 04:33Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
The perks of working at a LFS. Cheap stuff for our addictions.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2006 15:24Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 10-Jan-2007 23:17
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Matty, so sorry to hear of all the troubles here. I haven't check in for a while to this thread - what happened with the sick fish - any improvement?

Shame you had to tear down the deathstar after all your hard work. I'm sure something nicer still is coming.

Good luck with the re-do

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2007 02:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Thanks robyn, the fish with the cyst was a serious fighter, but he died today. I now have 8 rainbows left.

The deathstar was a fun little project, I don't mind that it didn't turn out well. I could have made it work with some lower light plants...a moss or nana petite.

I did get some nana petite, and I have a few other new plants for the redo. I'm keeping the pearl grass, ludwigia, star grass, and obviously the tenellus. I bought some ammania, a new batch of gayii, r. wallichi, and hydrocotyl. Not sure if I will keep the hydrocotyl though.

Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2007 03:23Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
poor guy.

Look forward to your new pics

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2007 12:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
Kudos: 47
Votes: 99
male usa
With the destruction of the Death Star, the elite Catfish Stormtroopers are in stunned disbelief.

Sorry couldn't help it. Can't wait to see the replant!

Rick
See all my pictures at Google Web Albums
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2007 18:25Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Here's another little sneak peak:

Enjoy

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2007 00:48Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
aquapickle27
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 98
Votes: 55
male usa
From what i can see it is looking really good, i can't wait to see a full tank shot.

†Aquapickle†
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2007 02:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
What is that pretty plant?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2007 05:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Thanks, it's rotala macrandra. one of a few reds I'm trying out for the new scape. It's kind of war of the red plants in my tank right now.

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2007 05:50Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Are you still keeping that Ludwigia G.? I like that stuff..... Need to find some around here sometime.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2007 23:11Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
Kudos: 47
Votes: 99
male usa
Well from what I can see it looks really full and healthy. I like that plant as well. I'll need to look it up.

Rick
See all my pictures at Google Web Albums
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2007 23:18Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Yep, I still have the ludwigia, it's got a permanent spot in the tank.

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2007 23:35Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Yep, I still have the ludwigia, it's got a permanent spot in the tank.
Thats good to hear. It looked great with the pearl weed. Any updated pics???

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2007 15:08Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Have I missed something, or is there only the one little sneak peak picture.

Are you going to show us more soon?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2007 15:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
The pics of me tearing down the tank were a sneak peek.

I also have this one:

I'm holding out on the full tank pics until I pick out the plants I want and get it scaped.

Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2007 16:50Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Matty,

Nice shots of the cats, I have never seen them before. I hope all is going as planned with the tank now, just take it easy and don't install some other funky object, like a ferries wheel or what not, LOL.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 09-Feb-2007 14:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
Wow, how did I miss the destruction of the deathstar?!?

Looking forward to seeing the new layout

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 09-Feb-2007 18:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Alright... It has about about 10 days now. It's time for a new picture!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 09-Feb-2007 22:42Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor

I guess I'll give you a small update. I'm probably not keeping the wallichi. I like the macrandra and the ammania. That's all I've decided so far.

Post InfoPosted 10-Feb-2007 00:27Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Is it time for another small update?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 23:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I'm still unhappy with my plant layout and the health of the red plants. I can't keep them from wrinkling up, even the ludwigia now. So I really don't have much to share with you, sorry. I wish I had something nice to show, maybe a new shrimp pic, will that tide you over?

Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2007 05:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Well the shrimp is very nice matty - thanks for sharing that. I know pics don't always show up the faults we are so critical of, but the red plant & the greenery looks pretty nice as well.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2007 06:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Nice shot of your Amano! Very clean.

I am guessing you would rather not have our input on your tank by you not showing it to us?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2007 01:59Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I am guessing you would rather not have our input on your tank by you not showing it to us?

I love your guys' input, but it's just that I'm in the middle of playing around with it at this point and just haven't had time to try and scape at all. It would be like your input on the 5.5 right now.....get some plants in it . It just looks like the tank before I took down the death star, just with some random plants in that corner.

Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2007 02:32Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I wanna see disaster
I wanna see ugliness
I wanna see disarray

Truly, I somehow do not understand why people never show the tank when it is going downhill, except the few times that pictures were posted in a thread to show the tanks from various people at their worst.

I see the purpose of log as a reflection of what is going on in a tank over time, and there are good things and bad things happening.

I hope that others don't look at my logs only for the "pretty" pictures and the best way I can provide them with additional information (including moral support in case of failure) is by letting them know how frustrating this hobby can be once in a while. And what is better to demonstrate such frustration than the display of a photo showing the reasons for the upset?

So - to all of you - be a little more open about this, it is not a competition and I for sure will not value you and your tanks less because you reveal its failures, I actually will respect you more (than I already do).

Sorry for the rant,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2007 13:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I'll post a picture for you guys later on, when the lights come on, since it seems you want to see but:

I see the purpose of log as a reflection of what is going on in a tank over time, and there are good things and bad things happening.

It's really not that bad looking, for the most part things are pretty healthy, just not well taken care of or scaped well. In that respect it's not frustrating(in the case of the plants, the fish are a different story), because it's mostly from lack of trying. Mostly it's just that there's nothing going on to show you guys. Like I said, it looks like I took out the deathstar a few days ago and threw some plants in the corner.

Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2007 17:08Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Mr DIY. The guy that show us the inner workings of so many creative approaches all of a sudden is showing some vanity.

Yeah I kinda know what you saying when there's nothing new to report. We all don't do makeovers as often as LF. I haven't seen Nowher's little 4g in quite some time either.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2007 18:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
I haven't seen Nowher's little 4g in quite some time either.

You wouldn't be able to handle the BBA. It's so thick on the driftwood, my shrimp think I installed shag carpeting for them.

LF is right, of course, about showing how our tanks look regardless of whether we think they're in show condition or not. IMO, I'm still 3 years into planted tank husbandry. I'm sure in Amano's first 3 years he did a lot of crummy scapes and killed a lot of plants and fish I'm sure.

In a forum like this, I see everyone else's tanks and they look good, and it's a bit embarrassing when I think mine don't look as good. Just have to remember we're all friends here, and it isn't an ADA contest... yet...

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2007 19:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
EditedEdited by tetratech
Back in the saddle

yippee kay ya

You wouldn't be able to handle the BBA. It's so thick on the driftwood, my shrimp think I installed shag carpeting for them

Don't think for a second those really nice tanks you see from the Senske brothers, etc, don't get bba on the driftwood. Your just seeing the end photo. MY tank get's bba on the dw, that's why it's important to be able to clean it. Do you also think those glass lily pipes stay crystal clean like they came out of a dishwasher and white sand stays white. If the tank is up long enough that stuff is gonna get dirty. Some of the well-known scapers you see have not desire to keep a tank long-term. They set it up, get it to mature and then take it down and start all over again. That's how they get good at doing scapes. They are constantly creating new ones.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2007 20:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
Do you also think those glass lily pipes stay crystal clean like they came out of a dishwasher and white sand stays white.

Oh I know that. Afterall, that's why ADA sells a piece of pipe-cleaner wrapped around a coat hanger for $50. It's the same illusion that all modeling creates: the image of static beauty. But in reality, the make-up comes off, people age, buildings get torn down... or, in our cases, plants grow and age and die, and the whole scape changes.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2007 21:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
What used to be rotala macrandra:

This used to be "pink telanthera" :

And here's a FTS:

I think you can see all 7 of my fish that are left. I've now had 7 for a couple months. I'm thinking about getting some more this weekend. Don't know what yet, but I might just get whatever takes my fancy ant the time. I've also recently decided that I'm going to be using 50% RO/DI for water changes (12g RODI, 12g tap). I believe there's something up with the pipes in the building or the tap in general. I know a few people in this building who have been having the same troubles as I have with their fish. My salt water tank doesn't have a problem because I start with pure water. It's not too hard to connect the dots IMO. I just hope 50% will dilute whatever it is enough to help, cause I'm not doing full 100% RODI - I'd rather not have fish.

It's working it's way towards scaped, but these reds are stalling out on me cause I haven't paid them enough attention. I used to be trying to dose Mg and Ca and K in addition to N, P, and micros. I've also recently started just dosing N,P, and micros, whatever K comes with is good. If the plants look better than it's either the softer water from RO/DI or I was dosing too much of something. If they still look crappy I'll maybe start dosing that other stuff again.

So my recent dosing is every other day .5ppm KH2PO4 and 3ppm KNO3. Between is 2-3 mL of micros via flourish.

I think that's everything, questions/comments/crits welcome.

Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2007 21:55Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Matty,

Thanks for posting picturs.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2007 22:15Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
What no input?!?!

Sheesh

What's a guy gotta do around here

Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2007 22:20Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
What no input?!?!

Sheesh

I thing Wings said it all

Well you could alot of different ways, but my first reaction is a center mound with branchy pieces of wood poking out. The mound could house the reds with some green inbetween. I think that would work with the pearlgrass and the rocks already there. Plants are definitely hard to fiqure out sometimes. I still haven't been able to my Aromatica going again after it grew like gangbusters and I never slacked off the ferts. Very strange. I even upped my dosing just for the hell of it and nothing, I also added root tabs, nothing. Maybe my water is too soft and acidic, who knows.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2007 22:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Thanks for the comments tetratech. I don't really want to try and get branchy DW, there's never any locally and I can't much afford anything I don't get my discount on. Especially if it involves shipping. I agree that would look great, but also look an awful lot like someone else's tank. I'ma keep the red plants real low, so the rocks can be seen (and maybe get another or two), and throw in something behind them, I'm thinkin' the gayii that has been growing real nicely for me in the corner. TI and the pearlgrass were made for this tank I think. The gayii will have a different leaf texture and color than the pearlgrass, so that and the reds will provide good contrast.

Something else worth mentioning I guess. The rigors of DIY set in today as my plumbing sneakily started slowly leaking. I lost maybe 3 gallons of water on the floor. About 7 towels and a sore back later it cleaned up ok and the leak got a good strong fix.

Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2007 02:29Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
EditedEdited by LITTLE_FISH
Yes Matty, it looks very nice, given that you were hiding it for soooo long.

It doesn't matter that the tank hasn't changed in a while, even that is part of the game, called consistency

I am sorry to hear about the leak, I hope you don't have any downstairs neighbors that had to take an unscheduled shower

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2007 22:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I haven't heard from the guys downstairs so I'm hoping that it didn't make it through the floor. It is completely dry up here now.

The reds seem to be maybe growing in better than they were before. I don't want to get my hopes up though. Maybe I was ODing the Ca, Mg, and K or maybe it was the tapwater, and maybe the RO/DI is doing the trick. This week's inch or so of growth looks to be a lot less wrinkly and distorted. Maybe I can pull it off after all. There certainly is a lot more pearling, but that might be the new CO2...

Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2007 23:06Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Very nice carpet of green you've got going there Matty. Contrasts nicely with your splashes of reds.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2007 23:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
So, matty, will we still see you here in planted tanks, now your a SW moderator?

Congratulations again. /:'

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2007 14:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Nope, now that I'm the "man" I have too many responsibilities to hang out in the planted forums

Of course I'll still post around here. I wouldn't be a mod if I couldn't talk plants and scapes. And thanks for the congrats Robyn .

So I guess I'll let everybody know I got my blyxa yesterday. It came in very poor shape. It was half mush. I talked to the guy I ordered from and he was very concerned even before I got them asking me if I had received them on wednesday. He assured me that I will get some more if these don't make it. If it all works out well I'll definitely recommend him to everybody here. Only ships in the US, but he's really close to you NYC/Jersey residents.

Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2007 17:40Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
If you got them from aquabid, does he go by the name "Lowcoaster"?

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2007 17:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I didn't get them from aquabid, but I did get them from Lowcoaster, yes.

Do you have experience with his plants or business? If so please do tell, even if it's already after I made a purchase with him. A pm might be best.

Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2007 18:14Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
What?

Matty is a Mod?

Things must go really bad on the dark side!!!

Congratulations

Say, how come your Avatar thingy does not reflect the mod status? Is it only showing over there? Interesting!

Ingo

EDIT: Ups, now I see it has changed, I guess mods are not that fast

Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2007 13:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa

Say, how come your Avatar thingy does not reflect the mod status? Is it only showing over there? Interesting!
I guess his powers only work on the darkside.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2007 13:34Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 24-Mar-2007 14:20
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
I guess his powers only work on the darkside

Really funny

Congrats Matty!

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2007 14:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Hey,

While we are congratulating Matty, I just noticed something with the last post I made in my log.

Check my award banners below my Avatar

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2007 16:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor

I think I have my title and award banner now. I've been updated by Adam. Thanks for the congrats guys.

Check my award banners below my Avatar

Congrats on the top 5 poster LF. Gotta think those fingers get tired .

Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2007 17:53Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Ok, finally got this thing scaped a little. I tossed a lot of plants. The macrandra was just awful, so it went. Lots of ludwigia went as well, only the decent looking stuff stayed. That's why the reds section is a bit sparse. Hopefully that will fill in a bit soon. The stuff that stayed is what has grown well for me. The pearlgrass, some of the ludwigia, and the ptomageton gayii. I also got my blyxa in and wanted to comment about that. I got the plants from lowcoaster, found on aquabid I guess. I found him elsewhere. The first shipping ended with mush, maybe they froze even though there was a heatpack in with them. I told Charley, and without delay said he'd send them again, no charge. Great guy to deal with IMO. Plants look real healthy this time around. If they die it will be all my fault . You can see them on the right side of the tank.

So on to the pic, and please give constructive criticism, at this point I feel like the tank is taking shape towards how I want it, so little tweaks would be nice to hear about. But no DW (sorry tetratech). If you think I could use some more rocks, that won't be too hard to accomplish. Anything else is doable.

Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2007 22:00Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
That HM is beautiful matty, well done with that. Did it naturally start growing sideways along the bottom, or did you press it in?

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2007 22:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Thanks nowher, I think the combination of strong light and heavy trimmings keeps it nice and low. I don't pysically push it down or anything like that.

Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2007 23:03Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Matty,

Looking very nice and clean (as in organized and structured)!

The Blyxa seems to fit in nicely, and I know that it doesn't show its full potential in pictures very well (tends to blend in). I have quite a bit in my 125G by now, but the gravel substrate makes individual stems come loose almost on a daily base, it drives me nuts.

Overall, I think there are two ways which this tank could go now:

1) a rock only tank (what's that called - iwagumangiugaga ? ), in which case the center group of taller plants would have to go
2) a tank with a nice center group, in which case the group has to grow some more to achieve its dominant position. In this case, I also would suggest to have the red plant (ludwigia) not as the foremost in that group but to put something shorter and green in front of it.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2007 12:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
How about letting the ptomageton gayii grow around the Ludwigia?

Everything I heard about PG was that it was an easy plant to grow. Mine never took off for me. Maybe it was a bad batch.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2007 14:41Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I think I'm going to skip on the iwigimiboogy LF :

I'm definitely going after a nice little center group, though I do want to keep it low. As for green in front of the reds, the HM is trying to make its way past the rocks in front. I may move the reds back a little on your suggestion and have a little more HM in front, but I don't want the reds as the back group.

Wings - I like the p. gayii enough to give it more room, and I think I'll try to fill it in more as it grows upwards. It does a good job of producing runners on its own so hopefully that will help too. Sorry to hear that you had a hard time growing it. It's probably just one of those can't grow everything deals.

Thanks, and keep 'em coming

Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2007 15:59Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I think I'm going to skip on the iwigimiboogy

- What? No iwigigloowombly for you?

I may move the reds back a little on your suggestion and have a little more HM in front, but I don't want the reds as the back group.

While I agree on the latter part, the "not making them a back group", I am not too wild about the first part, the "letting the foreground come up the main group. I would try instead to think about a different green plant to distinguish between surrounding and main group. What is that one plant again - Downoi? I think that could be nice.

Ingo

EDIT: Wings, nah - I think the 29G with the platies would not be good either.

Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2007 18:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor

You guys always gotta pick plants/hardscape that are inaccessible. I do like the downoi, I'll see how much that would run me, then decide if it's worth it. Any other ideas for plants that would serve the same function? My nana petite is growing, but still not large enough to make any sort of difference anywhere. Maybe I could get some more of that. I found a reasonable source for that.

Oh, how 'bout pelia? I've never tried that stuff, looks neat. Would be a different color too.

Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2007 19:17Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Oh, how bout pelia?

You mean Monosolenium tenerum, right?

Seems like a nice plant, but I think one would need a larger patch to make it look nice. Also, doesn't it have to be affixed to rock and such?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2007 10:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
You mean Monosolenium tenerum, right?

Yep, I think that's the stuff. I've seen it grow solitary and not float around. It's much more dense than java moss or riccia from what I remember. Could be wrong though .

I also wanted to add that I finally got a few more fish since the tank seems to have been stable for the last couple months. Pictures tomorrow evening I think.

Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2007 01:19Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Got some pictures of my new fish, a nice male pearl gourami. I also happened to snap some shots of the furcatas while I was at it. I left out the preacox, I took 190 pics of the pearl gourami and the furcatas, and didn't get to the new preacox. So on to the pics:

Pearl gourami:

And a few of the furcata boys:

Hope you enjoyed

Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2007 00:06Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Nice fish. Haven't ever seen those furcata boys - but I sure think they're pretty. Oh, and your pearl is nice too.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2007 00:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Yep, I think that's the stuff. I've seen it grow solitary and not float around. It's much more dense than java moss or riccia from what I remember.

From what I know, Pelia has an overall appearance similar to Riccia, when looked at from the distance, up closer its leaf structure is very different though, and the color is of a darker green. In addition, Pelia is naturally a sinking plant and as such leaves that come off do not float up but would spread with the current along the substrate. As it is (just like riccia) a non rooting plant, such spreadings can produce new cultures anywhere in the tank as well.

I am not sure, but I think there are two forms of Pelia out there, one with significantly smaller leaves than the other. Now, why do I feel hungry and why am I thinking of paella?

On to the fishies:

- Why just a male Pearl? Will he not be bored? I see my couple hanging out together for most of the day, although once in a while the male shows the female who is the boss (but all without injury).

- The Furcatas look very nice and colorful, I hope they will do well now that your tank seems more stable. I assume they are very active as I am accustomed to seeing very sharp and clear pictures from you and these are a little "rushed". How frustrating must that have been for you!

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2007 13:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
The furcatas have been in the tank the whole time, it's the preacox I got new ones of. I just felt like taking pics of the furcatas. It was very frustrating taking almost 200 pictures and none coming out great. They are incredibly swift fish darting all over the place. Like a danio or barbs or something. I'll probably get a the male pearl a mate. They were just really big, he's near 4 inches I'd say, and didn't want to rush the stocking. I don't think he'd really be too bored though. They do ok solitary, I've had them that way in the past. I'm also going to get more furcatas when I get the chance, they aren't quite as commonly stocked as the others.

Yeah, that's what I remember of pelia too. Sounds like it might do the trick, no? And go get yourself something to eat....pelia

Thanks for the comments

Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2007 14:40Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Sounds like it might do the trick, no?

Hm, maybe

I have seen it more as a true midground plant itself, not as a "hedge" in front of a midground group, and that is more what your arrangement looks like.

I think that a small stone (or a few small ones) covered with it might not make an impression, except if you should get your hands on the small version of it (not that I remember what that is called).

Sorry about not being able to keep up with what fish are new and what are "old". So you say the Pearl is already 4", that means he is pretty much all done growing, right?
If I am not mistaken then they can live quite a while, like 7 to 10 years or so, right?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2007 15:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Nice fish shots Matty!

Those are some very pretty fish!

I think you guys are right on the ball with the Pelia. Check tropica's web site. They have an article on the front page right now, i think...

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2007 16:32Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Hmm...so the naysayers say nay. I'll have to maybe check on the possibility of downoi too. I'm just worried that the color of downoi will be too similar to that of the HM and get lost. Maybe I can come up with some other ideas in addition. I'll think on it.

So I think that yes, the pearl gourami is about full size. It was a really nice batch of them that came in. I have a soft spot for pearls and had to have one. I'm sure they live a number of years like you said LF, so I should still have him for a good while.

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll check out tropica, thanks wings

Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2007 18:46Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Really like those furcatas. How are they in the schooling department?

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2007 22:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
When I had a bunch of them they schooled OK. Unfortunately, I only have 3 now....so they don't school real well. That's why I intend to get more. I wouldn't compare them to rummys or cardinals though. They school as well as other rainbows IMO, but are more active than others. They tend to zip around the preacox.

Forgot to mention the best part. Unlike any tetra I can think of, the males REALLY like to display. No aggression mind you, just "who's flashier." This happens on and off all day. The picture with both males in the picture and the one in focus extending his fins is what I'm talking about. Really fun behavior to watch.

Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2007 00:13Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Another option would be a small group of low growing rosette plants, I have one in mind but cannot think of its name now.

Your description of the Furcatas makes them even more appealing than the photos already did. I like the male display thingy, I see this in my Dwarf Rainbows all day as well, but of course their finnage is not remotely as nice as the Furcatas'

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2007 13:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Did you happen to think of those rosette plants?

SoMy fish must really be liking something I'm doing nowadays, as my new male pearl is building bubble nests:

I think I'll have to buy him a lady friend. I'll do a little reading first to see what the deal is on the whole breeding aspect of the gouramis, see if anything like aggression goes on. I've only ever kept males by themselves and never had bubble nests. I wouldn't really intend to get babies, but if it helps them live a fuller life, then I'm for it. The behavior would be fun to watch anyhow.

Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2007 22:54Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
Spring is in the air....

Frank

Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2007 01:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Garofoli
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 143
Votes: 27
male usa
Looks very nice. If I were you I would try to expand the tank upwards... Besides the bare top. It's very nice.

Chris
Post InfoPosted 16-Apr-2007 00:00Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Finals have been outcompeting my tanks for attention. However, finals were done yesterday, so today is tank maintanance before I go on vacation tomorrow. I just wanted to show the insane amounts of of HM that I had growing in the tank. Don't mind the debris....I algae wiped the sides of the glass and stirred things up a bit. It's already settled out.

Here's what finals do to the HM:

And this is on a 2.5g bucket....about a 10in diameter ball:

I'll update later with the after pics. The tank is filling with RO ATM.

It seems that I'm having the same problems with my blyxa that LF did in his 40, it's wrinkling up and red. Not sure what's up, but I blame it on the neglect. This week won't be a whole lot better since I'll be away. Hopefully it can pull through.

Post InfoPosted 11-May-2007 18:50Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
Red blyxa is good, isn't it?

As for the HM - Yep, that's what finals will do alright. Although I'm sure the extra plant mass was nice for WQ.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 11-May-2007 19:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Red is good....wrinkling and stunting is bad. It's not growing much, but I want to blame it on my lax maint. in the last couple weeks.

Post InfoPosted 11-May-2007 19:25Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Nice Pearl Grass, I hope you can sell it to the LFS or something.

Yeah, Red and Stunted is not good, but I don't think it is the maintenance. As you may remember, mine turned this way as soon as I added a light and moved the main one right over the plants (within 2 weeks). Meanwhile, maintenance had not changed of course.

I think more likely it is based directly on the light, at least the reddening, and on top of it it requires some specific micro fert to keep on growing, maybe iron.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 11-May-2007 19:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Is it possible that we are pushing the blyxa too much with our high tech systems? I am getting a couple of side shoots with mine but not a lot. The tops are turning quite red now so we will have to see how it goes.

Nowher,
Did yours turn red in your 4G?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2007 13:54Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Well I'm pretty sure the blyxa isn't going to do it for me. Ah well. I really would have loved for it to work. I'll have to find something else now.

Thought I'd give an updated pic of the tank as I never showed it after the trim....but this is over a couple weeks later after having been on the trip....minimized lighting and ferts so not a whole lotta growth. I still haven't gotten around to changing the layout. We'll see what this month has to offer .

Post InfoPosted 29-May-2007 22:19Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
show the insane amounts of of HM
So what is HM - is the same plant that LF refers to as Pearl Grass? How do you plant it? Is it one of those fiddly little plants, that are difficult to plant. I think I'd like to try it out as foreground in the new tank, if I can get my hands on some.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 00:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Yep HM = hemianthus micranthemoides = pearl grass.

It's pretty easy in my experience. High light will encourage low growth as well as "mowing" the lawn frequently.

Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 02:51Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Wow, the Gayii looks great. Maybe it's me but I really like open and simple with lots of swimming space just like this tank. I really think it would even better with yes you guessed it. Thin pieces of branchy wood poking out about the Gayii and no background.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 03:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Thanks tetratech. I'm pretty pleased with the tank, and would get pokey DW if I could find some locally. I'll at least get a few more rocks or something.

Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 06:35Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 30-May-2007 10:30
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
"mowing" the lawn frequently
How do you do this? Do you just trim the tops and, if so, doesn't this result in a mess in the tank? What is your method?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 10:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
So what is HM?

And I thought it was Hetal Malide (got it?)

Anyway, Matty can cut this plant any way he wants to as he has it all over the tank anyway

I actually remove my plants (which are planted with about 6 to 8 stems per bunch) and trim off the bottom (depending how tall it got, maybe between 2 to 5 inches). Then I divide the tops into bunches (the previous bunch usually doubles at least in stem numbers) and replant them - which, btw, is really easy, just plug it into the substrate between 1 and 2 inches deep.

Matty - nice shot of the tank, tetratech pointed out the lack of background and hardscape, so no further comment needed here. All looks healthy and well maintained, very impressive for the fact that you went away. Any negative effects of that time period?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 13:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Yep, I take the scissors horizontally and hack off the tops. It's too much work to pull it up and cut the bottoms and replant as LF suggested, but I do that once in a while. The stuff floats real good so I just catch it all at the top with a net. It creates a mess, yeah, but during the water change I can suck up most of the small bits.

Hetal Malide, LF?

Actually all the plants save the blyxa looked better than when I left, oddly.

Thanks for the comments.

Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 16:03Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by tankwatcher
Hmm, that sounds like a lot of work to keep it low - all that replanting of tiny stems. If I try this plant, I think I'll try Matty's mowing method.

Thanks for explanation. I'll have to think on it

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 16:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Actually all the plants save the blyxa looked better than when I left
When I went down to NC a week ago I cut down to just 96W's on my tank. It was kind of wild to see the growth I got from the need to get to the light.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2007 11:46Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Look what we got in at work this week, going to be recarpeting tank :

Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2007 00:16Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Uhhhh,

Nice, I take it that it is an emersed growth form, right? I have never seen it emeresed, but I would guess it behaves like most plants, meaning loss of all leaves and such.

How much of this is going to end up in your tank, and for how much does the store sell what size?

Ingo

EDIT: Actally - your shot looks like a grave with a hedge planted on top and the head stone in the back

Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2007 11:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
The pearl grass never lost its emersed grown leaves until I cut them off. I'm pretty sure with the round tiny leaves that this is emersed though, but I'm expecting a pretty smooth transition. We'll see though. I'm wanting to entirely recarpet the tank, hoping it will grow a little slower, and stay a little lower.

They come overflowing out of the 2" round plastic pots for 4 dollars to the general public.

I only got 2 pots yesterday. I want to see how well it grows before getting any more. Plus the store will only buy back so much of my pearl grass at one time.

Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2007 18:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Well Matty, I really would like you to document the planting of the HC, I found it pretty hard to keep it in the substrate, but I only had a small batch with little roots available.

I assure you that it grows reeeeeaaaaalllllllyyyyy slow, actually - I was going to ask here and in my club why they think mine in the 40G has just doubled in its tiny size since being added like 6 months ago.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2007 19:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
There's not going to be a whole lot to document. I'm not going to be planting individual stems or anything to speed up the process. I'm going to take it out of the pot and remove the potting medium as best I can and put the whole thing into the gravel. I may pull each in half, so I have four patches, but that's it. I had more than I could take of tedious planting when I did the glosso in the death star . I'll remove the pearl grass as the HC grows or buy more HC if it does well but grows too slow.

I will document growth for you, so we know what's up in that department. Yours was shaded quite a bit in the 40 for a while I can imagine, so that may be the problem, but who knows?

Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2007 19:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
Matt, the problem I had with trying to "plant" this type
of plant was that I could not get it to stay where I put
it. I tried holding it down to the surface of the gravel
with a net. I tried placing some stones or gravel at the
4 corners and a spot in the middle and virtually
nothing worked.
I finally tossed it when it became "infected" with algae.
When (if) I try a plant similar to this again, I'll plant
each plant individually with some tweezers and space them
about 1/2 inch apart and see if it won't grow into the
spaces. I've also decided that I needed "finer"
gravel/sand when next I try.

Frank

Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2007 22:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Thanks LF, Frank. I'll try what I can without the tweezers, like I said, and will let you know how it goes. You are all probably right, but I've never had to use tweezers on anything before, even the glosso in the death star.

Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2007 22:45Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
What you need to do with a plant like HC is you push it in to the substrate so you basically don't see the plant anymore and then you pull it back up slightly with tweezers. This will allow the substrate to fall in place tightly around the roots. As long as you guys don't blow your supercharged, flow-crazy filters over it, it should stay put. Certainly bottom dwellers like corys or loaches are not gonna help. BTW - According to Robert Hudson of Aquabotanic some suppliers are now calling HC Dwarf Baby Tears.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2007 06:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
keen to see how this works for your Matty. I've never used tweezers either, but I guess I coud try it Jeff's way.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2007 09:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
The only plants that I plant by hand rather than by tweezers are the ones with a massive root system (like a large crypt, sword, etc) where I have to dig a huge hole in the substrate first anyway. All other plants go in with a tweezer, I find it so much easier to keep the plant in the substrate and undamaged during the plant.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2007 13:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Special plant tweezers? Longer than normal ones I guess

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2007 14:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
Matty,

It's going to be VERY hard to plant the HC while the tank is full of water. Ideally you would take out just about ALL of the water so that there's just enough to keep the substrate wet. Then plant them as tetra said. Break them into little clumps and space them an inch or so apart. Then refill the water carefully as to not create a disturbance. I've found it EXTREMELY difficult to keep it down when planting with any water on top of it.

Good luck with it! I've said elsewhere, i haven't had problems growing the stuff as long as there's a lot of CO2, but that may be because I have it in a 2.5 so there isn't much space between the light and the substrate.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2007 15:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I have about 6 different plant tweezers, straight and bent (at the bottom). 99% of the time I use the smallest of them, about 4 to 5 inches long. Only once in a while do I use a taller (and wider) one, usually when the plant base (roots) is wider than the small tweezers but doesn't rectify me digging holes with my fingers.

Someday I may take a picture of my tools,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2007 15:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Took some shots, ended up getting side tracked by the amanos. Ah well. Hope it won't bore you to death. Also a couple pics of my temporary HC solution. I'll get around to actually planting it, though I guess nobody will like the way I go about it.

And finally the last thing before I get to the pictures is to mention the sort-of redo I'll be undertaking soon, probably tuesday. It involves a bit of a surprise, I won't give a hint yet, I know how insightful LF can be with the slightest hint. I'll only say it's a little bit more exciting than the background.

And to the pics:

Post InfoPosted 10-Jun-2007 04:58Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I'll only say it's a little bit more exciting than the background.

Ha, that's easy - Either it is T5/MH high tech lighting or a rimless replacement tank.

Or maybe you got your hands on a lilly pipe or something along these lines.

Anyway, awesome pictures, and I am glad to read that the HC salad head plant style is only temporary

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 10-Jun-2007 13:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Nice shrimp pics. The second one reminds of the race between the Rabbit and the Turtle, but this time it's a Shrimp and a Snail.

Nice HC. Suppliers are starting to call this Dwarf Baby Tears now. Somehow HC Cuba sounds more exotic and

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 10-Jun-2007 13:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
The second one reminds of the race between the Rabbit and the Turtle

- That was my thought as well, tetratech, but I couldn't come up with the name in English .

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 10-Jun-2007 13:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Yeah, the supplier we got it from has it all goofy. micranthemum umbrosium is giant baby's tears, HM is baby's tears, and HC is dwarf baby's tears. Ah well. It's just nice to see them get it in. Maybe they will start working on nana petite.

I guess I'll have to give you that hint now. Tetratech will be happy about the surprise.

Thanks for the comments

Oh and I think it was the tortoise and the hare.

Post InfoPosted 10-Jun-2007 14:53Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Oh and I think it was the tortoise and the hare.
O.K. Do you want to start communicating by exact words on this forum, because that could be really dangerous.

Tetratech will be happy about the surprise

Do you want me to try and guess?

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 10-Jun-2007 15:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Tetratech will be happy about the surprise.

Pool Filter Sand, or Petrified Wood, or Green Water?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 10-Jun-2007 15:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
O.K. Do you want to start communicating by exact words on this forum, because that could be really dangerous.

Sheesh, someone's a bit touchy. I just thought the rabbit and the turtle sounded funny 'tis all.

LF still isn't on target...and of course you are welcome to guess Jeff. It's something you keep telling me to get for this tank. I thought LF would've gotten it on that hint.

Post InfoPosted 10-Jun-2007 15:27Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Sheesh, someone's a bit touchy. I just thought the rabbit and the turtle sounded funny 'tis all

No I'm not touchy, , just trying to feel out the conversational tone.

LF still isn't on target...and of course you are welcome to guess Jeff. It's something you keep telling me to get for this tank. I thought LF would've gotten it on that hint.
Well, it sounds like you got a hold of some nice wood

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 10-Jun-2007 15:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Ding ding! A winner!

It's branchy driftwood...yay!

I'll get a couple shots up here in a few of the dw in the tub....still soaking. I'm thinking I'll actually have to tie some rocks to it. It's been a few days and this thing doesn't want to sink. It's pretty good sized, might stretch across 2/3s of the tank with the branches. I hope it will look good, and not over dominating or something.

Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2007 01:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
Matt , great shots of the shrimp etc . Look forward to the next installment with the new Driftwood . Should be fun .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2007 04:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
It's branchy driftwood

- Oh well, I thought you may have something really special

In any case, I am for sure looking forward to seeing your driftwood as well,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2007 13:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Thanks Jeff, Ingo, Garry.

Oh well, I thought you may have something really special

Sheesh, I hope this lives up to the hype. I said it was only a little more exciting than the new background .

So without further ado;

The new DW soaking....still doesn't sink on it's own after five and a half days:

DW in, a lot of potomogeton removed:

Potomogeton back in, filling:

Filled, and one on angle.....I remember there being a lot more potomogeton

And one with the 5.5 shrimp tank (new crypts yay!):

So I really like it, it's a little large....so I'm not sure if everyone is going to go for it. The right most rock is out of place. Any help there would be appreciated. Comments and crits please, lay it on me.

Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2007 21:41Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
Hi Matt,
Great start for the tank. Yes, the placement of some
of the hardscape "bothers me" but I'd prefer to have
the tank mature for a couple of months before suggesting
something specific.

Frank

Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2007 00:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Budzilla
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 197
Votes: 90
male usa
I think it looks good. The Potomogeton seems to flow with the driftwood. I think that the far left rock is also a little out of place, maybe if you buried it halfway?
Another thought, the far right side of the tank loos just a little to empty now that the wood is in so it isn't balanced like before. If you add some more Potomogeton on that side it may fit in nicely.

-Vincent
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2007 01:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Well, when you want to create a focal point, you don't mess around.

I would lose all the rocks they don't do that nice piece of wood justice. You need to decide how your going to support that focal point.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2007 02:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
Kudos: 114
Votes: 137
male usa
Matty,

Looks great! Very "pond shore" looking if you will Wish I could get mine looking like that. Great job!

Nice shrimp tank too.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2007 03:59Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
Matt , love the driftwood . Its a great piece .
I think I agree with Tetra its a great focal point and needs to be supported with some great rock and maybe a lighter color gravel to draw the eye .
Anyway just a thought , but this is going to be a sensational looking tank when it develops .
Already looks fantastic .
Well done .
Garry
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2007 09:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Matty,

It actually does look pretty nice. I am with tetratech on the rocks being rather disturbing, but I also assume that you need quite a few of them to keep the wood down. Did you read in my 125G log that the driftwood branches which I removed during the last makeover had 2 of them that were still floating up, after being in the tank for at least a year (or something like that)? Be prepared for a long term solution on holding your's in place.

Otherwise, very nice. I think the wave shape of the branch could somehow find a similar wave in the substrate, to complement each other. Now the substrate seems just flat.
Also, what about some Nana Petits on the extended part of the branch?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2007 13:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Thanks everyone for the input. I really appreciate it. I was really happy not to hear anyone say "move it to the ___ a little bit" . Or "it would look better if you cut the long arm halfway". So far I'm willing to go with all the suggestions.

Be prepared for a long term solution on holding your's in place.

I did tie a rock to the underside of the DW using some fishing line, and that will hold the peice under water, but the arm wants to go up still. It seemed to continually sink more and more, so I'm hoping, but you may be right LF. Those other rocks really helped with that, and they are holding some pellia in place for now. Does that stuff like to attach to wood? I could possibly use that instead of the petite nana. I wouldn't mind using petite nana though. Or maybe a fissidens sp. might work, what does evreryone think?

Looking at it in real life I do really like the three big rocks (not the ones on the DW). I'd like to keep them and possibly use them to balance out the right side. I also really like how the potomogeton kinda pops out between them and the DW. To me it creates depth, it's just I thought the one closest to the front and right looked odd. If I pushed it back right it might look good. Also, once there's some plant material in front of them, they might be less disturbing. I'm keeping my thoughts open to removing them though.

I like your comment on the flatness Ingo. Maybe that was what Jeff was getting at saying to support the focal point. It would be easy to throw a rock over there and have the pearl grass grow up over it. Might add some three dimensionality. otherwise I guess we are talking stems or hardscape?

Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2007 15:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Matty,

I think, but I am not certain, pellia is overall like Riccia from its growth form, meaning I don't think it attaches itself to anything. Its advantage over Riccia is that it sinks naturally and as such doesn't push itself upwards.

Fissidens is the plant that you cannot have, I am planning on having it so it is booked - In other words, a great idea as well.

About the even substrate. Yeah, I was thinking hardscape, but not woods or rock, I thought more in line with changing the substrate itself to have some higher and lower areas.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2007 17:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
That's a nice piece of wood you have there Matty. What is the plant you have on the left hand side?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2007 15:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Fissidens is the plant that you cannot have, I am planning on having it so it is booked - In other words, a great idea as well.
Well LF, My Downoi is gone so you can have that and let Matty take the Fissidens. I also think that Fissidens would look nice on the wood. Pella would be too heavy looking and I think riccia would be too light.

I am with you Matty about the rocks. I think that to do work pretty well. Maybe just play with the big one on the right. That's the only one that doesn't seem to fit for me.

I think you should move the DW an inch to the left.... Just messing around...

Now you have my 2 cents and can go one with life...

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2007 15:34Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Glad everyone likes the fissidens idea, there's some in the mail right now. Will probably take a week to get here though.

I also got some super cheap tenellus from work to maybe grow up over the HM on the right and create a little texture. Moving the rock back there might help a bit too (glad you like the rocks wings ).

So far work has been eating my life, so I haven't gotten anything done on the tank other than dump a couple plants and some ferts in there. The store got some furcatas in, so it looks like I'll be adding to my current group of three.

Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2007 17:24Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
So I'm due for my monthly update. I hope LF doesn't mind I'm a little late. I just got done with a water change. Major trimming of the lawn from last week is still a little noticeable...the HM is usually shocked for about a week, then takes right off again. It won't be so flat in a few days.

I moved the rock on the right back and a little more to the right. I think it looks a lot better. The tenellus is more apparent this week, and the stargrass in the corner is doing pretty well. I'll have to decide what I like and don't still.

The weird black things are the fissidens "containers". The fissidens is starting to grow out of them, so they must like it here. I'm kind of growing attached to the pelia on the dw though. It's interesting. I also got a new batch of petite nana....and happened to get a pearling shot . Those things and the bare patch where the HC is slowly growing (look mom no tweezers!) all detract from the aquascape, but are a little part of my collectoritis.

So on to the pics:

I'll start with the aforementioned petite nana pearling shot. Talk about macro:

Finally a nice clear shot of a furcata:

And finally the FTS:

Sorry about the lax in posting in everyone's threads. I don't blame you if you don't respond . I try my best. I've been working 45hr weeks, have 6 hrs. of classes, my mod duties here and my new duties at Adam's new site here, and some social life. AND I got sick on my last day off. Ack, what happened to summer breaks?

Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2007 02:49Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
fandan
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 43
male australia
wow mate sounds like your busy, busy at the moment! why not grab yourself a six pack and forget about it all for a couple of hours. thats my cure for being busy (/pretty much any ailment). any way dont wear yourself out mate.
okey enough from dr dan- the tank looks brilliant mate. i actually like the rocks, they kind of stand out with their brash shapes. a bit of contrast always looks good.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2007 04:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Sorry about the lax in posting in everyone's threads. I don't blame you if you don't respond . I try my best. I've been working 45hr weeks, have 6 hrs. of classes, my mod duties here and my new duties at Adam's new site here, and some social life. AND I got sick on my last day off. Ack, what happened to summer breaks?

Hate to break this to you buddy, but it get's worse. Wait to you have kids, have to work 45hrs in one day (look at poor Ingo) and become a mule for your family. Taking them to and fro and carrying all their &*$#.

Anyway, I really like the center with the wood and the Gayi. I know you've been "busy", but the rocks don't do it for me you need more exposed substrate and smaller rocks to work with that size wood.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2007 17:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
lol, tetra. Thanks for painting such a rosy picture for us young guys. Maybe I'll hold off on buying that ring for the GF...

Matty, I too like the center section. And I don't really mind the rocks. I just want to replace all that HM with HC, and maybe you do too. The scape is right, I just wonder what it would look like with some nice thick HC.

And good shot of the furcata. They must be tough to freeze, buzzing around like flies.

Finally, don't worry about being MIA. I'm there too my friend, it happens.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2007 17:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Finally, don't worry about being MIA. I'm there too my friend, it happens.

Yeah I see why they call you Nowher
Anyway, I'm telling you the bad stuff, but the good stuff far outweights it. It's kinda like an HC foreground. It's a lot of work, but the reward is great
Just remember when you have kids, they don't leave and you can't either. It's a big ad if you have a good support network.

Matty, forgot beautiful macro shot!

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2007 17:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Matty, forgot beautiful macro shot!
Nice fuzzy stuff too!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2007 18:17Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Thanks for the compliments everyone, I appreciate the comments.

have to work 45hrs in one day

I don't mean to be rude, but I think you are making things up here . As I recall, there's only 24 hrs in a day. Also if you can remember that far back You'll remember 6 hrs of classes never = six hours of work. At least not in my fields. Just had to get you back a bit there for making me sound like a whiner. I'm not whining, I'm explaining . 45 hours a week of fish is plenty for me. I do on the order of 200-300 water changes per week.

Just remember when you have kids, they don't leave and you can't either.

Sounds terrible....I'm sorry. I don't think I'm the kids type. Thankfully my gf isn't either. We'd rather have a few animals.

Nice fuzzy stuff too!

Hey! *shakes fish at nowher* Lets see some of your slow growing plants that close up! Thanks for the compliments on the furcata shot at least .

Well back to the tank. I agree that if I end up with an HC (and I would like that wings )carpet, that I'll need smaller rocks. As they are in person, they don't look real big or obtrusive or even as angular. I'll give a matty angle sometime to illustrate that. Anyhow this was more to show I was alive and that the tank still has water in it more than anything else. Thanks for the crits I'll keep working it towards where I want it, it isn't there for sure, but better than it was.

Oh yeah, for you moss lovers out there....I forgot to show more of my colectoritis. Theres a bit of flame moss front and center. I'm thinking of throwing that in the 5.5 and removing the moss that's already there.

Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2007 23:56Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies