AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# Matt's new planted tank log
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMatt's new planted tank log
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
All of the CO2 "proof" tubing I've ever seen has
been black.
I wish I could say the same, as the fast majority of CO2 tubing I have seen is greenish-blue, and rather an eye-sore in the tank (although I got my hands on some dark gray one recently, to be used in the 40G).

Frank, can you give us a link to the black one?

Thanks in advance,

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2006 11:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Ingo, none of my links would be any good for you, but, if you find a place that stocks JBL (a good german company) you will find that their C02 tubing is black - at least it is here in Australia.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2006 13:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
I went looking and the first place I looked was drsfostersmith.com and their CO2 tubing was blue!
I went to my local CO2 Beer & Tap supplier and all they
supply is black tubing. I initially thought that the
tubing was color coded for use but now I'm having second
thoughts and it seems it is the type of material that is
important and the color can be nearly anything now a days.
Here is a link that I found:

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/hose.html

And another:
http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc.asp?ic=HPMT12&eq=&Tp=

I located a tubing manufacturer and have asked them
specificaly what type of hose should be used.
I'll let you know what I get for a response.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2006 17:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Frank,

Thanks for the info

I, in particular, found Karen Randall's input about non-CO2 specific tubing on tanks very informative (in your first link).

The second link to the manufacturer of commercial black CO2 specific tubing is nice, but they better have a much thinner version of it, as a half of an inch in diameter would mean that I need a huge diffuser to fit it .

Thanks again,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2006 22:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
what's with the yellow co2 tubing

Dunno, that's what came with the regulator. They said it was CO2 tubing and hasn't shown any signs of deteriorating.

I haven't considered getting a UV steriliser due to the cost. I'm sure it's worth it and I may get one when I can afford it.

it looks like you might have to completing focal points with that big DW in the other corner.

You're probably right, so I'll maybe get some low forming DW and keep that corner lower than the waterfall. I am going to have some stem plants over there though. If not, there wouldn't be any in the tank watsoever....that would just be weird. A little less maintenence maybe, but weird.

Is't it nice that we always find something to pick on

For real

you may end up with an even 3"

That was the goal. Once I fill it, and lay out the substrate, I'll decide if I need another bag. I really do'nt want to buy another if I don't have to.

How about the light, is that on the way as well?

We keep those in stock, so I'll buy that when it's time. I'll have another paycheck or two before I need to get the lights.

Do you have the wood already?

Nope. That was the question mark on the picture. It's me tossing ideas around again. I'll maybe draw up another picture for the adjustments to the other corner.

All of the CO2 "proof" tubing I've ever seen has
been black.

I've seen this, and I believe mine is of the same material, just a different color.

and rather an eye-sore in the tank

Now if you had an external reactor....

I'll let you know what I get for a response.

That would be great Frank, thanks for the info. Good to know these things.

I, in particular, found Karen Randall's input about non-CO2 specific tubing on tanks very informative

Meaning the fact that she doesn't think it's important at all?

When I had my DIY setup, I used plain old clear tubing. That stuff did get brittle over the course of a year. I assume that I was probably losing some CO2 before I switched to compressed CO2.

Whew, nothing really to update about, in the last couple days I've worked 18hrs, played a 1hr league game of roller hockey, won a 9 hole golf round between some guys at work(with a 41 ), and watched the new pirates of the carribean. Tank progress has stalled, but should resume tonight, maybe a little tomorrow, but I hope to have the waterfall structure up and the tank filled sometime tusday. That's a very tentative schedule that excludes any trips to home depot, which are bound to happen, even though I was thorough on my first trip.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2006 00:24Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Ok...did a little work and got the fluval and reactor all plumbed in with the compressed CO2. everything is secured to the stand and pretty tidy. I also brought the other two bags of eco complete and put them in the tank so we have an idea of how much gravel I will have. It looks to be pretty sufficient, unless I need some extra to fill in the glossofall area with. I'll try to minimize that amount with the acrylic, so hopefully these will be plenty.

The whole shebang:

Right side of cabinet:

Left side of cabinet:

That's it for now

Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2006 03:43Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Very Nice Matty,

I have only one question:

Is that thing that looks like a cat hooked into the CO2 reactor or the directly into the filter?

Nice shots, and you sure are looking very tidy in the cabinet. Now, when you create the fall, make sure to snap some pictures in the process so we can learn from it.

Thanks,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2006 10:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
Matt,
Nice job with all the piping. How does your filter handle the extra load?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2006 13:12Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
I always enjoy your setups. It clearly shows your darkside roots. Lot's of PVC/pipping, etc. The 4 bags of eco should be fine. I think I used 6 bags in my 72g and I had plenty to slope, etc. Depending on what your doing, you don't need it to be that deep in the front anyway. The PVC for the waterfall support, more good darkside pull-through.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2006 14:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Is that thing that looks like a cat hooked into the CO2 reactor or the directly into the filter?

Hehe, that's the secret to a great external reactor, magellan made his FP debut. That's one reason why everything is secured to the stand, nosey kitty.

Nice shots, and you sure are looking very tidy in the cabinet. Now, when you create the fall, make sure to snap some pictures in the process so we can learn from it.

Thanks, LF. I'll try to take as many pictures as possible, but when I start getting pvc glue on my hands, I stop taking pics.

How does your filter handle the extra load?

Thanks wings, I'm not sure how the 204 will handle the extra few gallons. I haven't even leak tested everything. I'll load it up with biomedia and filter floss and try to clean it every couple weeks. If it doesn't hold up, I'll probably just throw an aquaclear on the tank unless I feel spendy, and upgrade the fluval.

I always enjoy your setups. It clearly shows your darkside roots. Lot's of PVC/pipping, etc.

Thanks Tetratech, there will be more to come with the glossofall as you said - I'm hoping I can make it so it doesn't look tacky. That's the only thing I'm afraid of.

I made a couple more sketches, these are only of the falls. The first is kinda the what it might look like if glosso were pink, and the second is my pvc layout as of right now. The front will not be straight up and down, it will be sloped, and I'm considering making the front peices snake around so the rocks are not so straight up and down. I've added little forks here and there to maybe take care of the unnatural right angles and straightness. If anyone has better plumbing ideas so that it might look more natural, don't hesitate on letting me know.

Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2006 16:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
The whole thing is going to be pink?

Honestly, I am the last one on giving you advice on how to plumb all this together, I rather sit back and enjoy the photos that will elaborate this process.

All I can do is wish you good luck with it, and tell you to be careful that it will neither be too small to make an impact nor too large to fit in the tank. Remember that there will be a 1 to 2 inch layer of plants on the outside of it, and all the other stuff that you wish to stick on (like rocks, and maybe small woods).

Have fun,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2006 19:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
It's definetely ambitious, and I'm definetely interested to see how this goes.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2006 19:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Sheesh, you guys are a lot of help. Well, I've come up with a better way to plumb it, but it means a trip to HD for a bunch more fittings. Hopefully I'll get get started on the structure tonight sometime - unfortunately it's a super nice day, and my day off, so it's off to the links.....FORE!!

Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2006 14:52Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
Sheesh, you guys are a lot of help

Well excuuuuse me for not being the technical type. Your ability to imagine and work with artifical structures for attaching plants to is way beyond my understanding: wood+rock+plants+imagination = aquascape. Although I can imagine Ammano writing, "I raise my glass to the PVC pipe and special fittings glosso mound, for, though its eventual appearance is different than anticipated, it was created by Nature"

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2006 17:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor

Although I can imagine Ammano writing, "I raise my glass to the PVC pipe and special fittings glosso mound, for, though its eventual appearance is different than anticipated, it was created by Nature"

See your imagination IS better than mine. I would never have imagined that.

Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2006 23:15Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I think that Nowher is just taking writing lessons from Ben in his spare time.

Back to the plumbing thing. It will be interesting to see how the filter holds up to the extra water it has to push around. Though it is probably not nearly as much as we think it is. Didn't you have a simmilar set up with that filter before?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2006 03:05Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Whew....I'm about done for tonight. After about 3 hrs, I'm spent. Here's the pics of the waterfall construction(sorry first 2 are blurry ):

Layout of the base:

Layout of the structure:

Some stuff cut and put together:

In the tank:

For the incline:

PVC at random for rocks to be attached:

Close up in the tank:

At a distance:

That's all for now. I still need to glue everything together, attach the screen, and attach the rocks. The acryllic still needs to be cut and siliconed too. This should keep me busy for a while still.

Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2006 04:06Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Matty,

Looks very, hm, interesting

Just as I thought, it is rather big and makes the tank shrink quite a bit. I still have a hard time envisioning how it will look in the end, but I have faith in you knowing what you are doing.

I guess you will also have to take off all the stickers from each piece of PVC. Don't these stickers contain some poisenous glue that, given the number of stickers, could leach into the water column?

You talk about "attaching the screen", is that so that there is a hollow interior and nothing falls into it? What material is that made off?

Keep us posted,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2006 10:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
That's very imaginative. As I said you darkside folk really know your PVC.

So when the screen goes on will it be completely enclosed to prevent fish from going inside the PVC structure or will fish be able to take an "inside the waterfall tour."

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2006 12:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Wow Matt. You really went to town on your PVC. It looks a little big right now and that is before you have even started with the rocks and such. It might be a little too much. You sure are stepping outside the box with this though.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2006 14:15Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
I disagree with LF and Wings. I don't think it's too big. As you know I like big dramatic structures. More than ever it will be important not to compete with other high objects in the tank.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2006 14:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
OK, I think I'm starting to see your vision now. It is big, but not sure if it's TOO big. The saving grace of it is the fact that there will be lots and lots of small leaved plants - glosso - attached to it. I think you can pull it off as long as everything else is kept in proper perspective. if you have this mound on the right with glosso then put swords or some other big leaved plants to the left I think it'll look awkward. Grasses may be less intrusive and not as distracting from the focal point mound you've created. Do you plan on letting the glosso spread to the other section of the tank? I guess the only thing I would be worried about is dead spots and organic matter build-up under the structure.

I think that Nowher is just taking writing lessons from Ben in his spare time.

Actually, i was just trying to mimic some of the far out things Amano says in his books, which probably get lost and twisted in translation.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2006 15:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Just as I thought, it is rather big and makes the tank shrink quite a bit.

I figured people would think it was big. I thought so too. I made it as small as compact as possible though, so I have to go with it. The only dimension it could shrink is in the vertical, that would just look goofy and out of preportion.

I have faith in you knowing what you are doing.

Thanks LF. Don't get dissapointed if it doesn't work...I'm kinda making this up as I go. It's all a big expensive experiment, but everyone I've talked to says it could be neat, even the guys at Home Depot who don't have a clue about aquatic plants, so I hope it works out.

I guess you will also have to take off all the stickers from each piece of PVC. Don't these stickers contain some poisenous glue that, given the number of stickers, could leach into the water column?

I've already started, and what a PITA. I'll probably soak the entire structure in the bathtub overnight and give it a good scrubdown once it's finished.

You talk about "attaching the screen", is that so that there is a hollow interior and nothing falls into it? What material is that made off?

Insect screening made out of fiberglass, and coated in a plastic. The HD guy and I decided it probably wasn't toxic. The screening is actually to keep the ecocomple in the waterfall area(so nothing gets out of the waterfall) and allow the glosso to root into it. It's a good thing glosso is a tiny little plant, cause the screen has tiny little holes.

So when the screen goes on will it be completely enclosed to prevent fish from going inside the PVC structure or will fish be able to take an "inside the waterfall tour."

Yep, I don't want any little rainbows getting lost in the waterfall. If one of them would happen to get into the pvc it would probably never get out.

Wow Matt. You really went to town on your PVC.

heh, yeah. That's about 9ft of pvc and around 30 fittings. All I have left is a small 1ft peice of pvc left over. I thought the 10ft peice I had to buy was going to be way to big.

It might be a little too much. You sure are stepping outside the box with this though.

I agree, it might. But I gotta keep going now. I was hoping to do something that I've never done before at the very least, so this should be a good time seeing how it will turn out. Like I said, it really can't be any smaller, so I have to stick with it.

I disagree with LF and Wings. I don't think it's too big. As you know I like big dramatic structures. More than ever it will be important not to compete with other high objects in the tank.

I'm glad I got one vote for not too big. It's a bit reassuring. I totally agree with the grasses and what not. I want to try blyxa, probably some tenellus. I'm not too sure about hairgrass, microswords would fall into the maybe category too. I'm thinking that with such a large structure, that I could only get away with a couple types of grass. anything else might look too small. What do you guys think? I'll still try to get some stems in there that I can keep lowcut. Baby's tears or something like that in the back left corner with some low driftwood or rocks. Maybe some anubias nana petite would look good there or on the waterfall itself. I'll need some advice there too.

I think you can pull it off as long as everything else is kept in proper perspective.

All of you are going to have to help with that. I can make plants grow, and play with pvc, but I'm not the best aquascaper. I'll probably be coming for help and suggestions quite a bit.

Do you plan on letting the glosso spread to the other section of the tank?

I plan on there being a little glosso "pool" below the waterfall. That's probably it. I could go the whole way with glosso and add some rocks here and there, but I think it would look odd, and I want to do a bit more with different plants.

I guess the only thing I would be worried about is dead spots and organic matter build-up under the structure.

Don't let it concern you nowherman - I've taken care of it. There will literally be very little area occupied by water under the structure. The majority of it will be siliconed off with acrylic. there will be about 2 inches of gravel all the way around and on top of the structure - no more likely to be a dead spot than the gravel in your tank.

Well I think I should be able to get all the stuff glued today, and maybe get some acrylic work in. I'll keep ya posted.

Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2006 16:54Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Well,

Dissapointed or not, I am exitingly awaiting the next series of pictures to see how it all progresses.

Question: I would assume that the least you have to do is to get all the air out of the tubing to avoid it trying to float up. Is the plastic itself a floater? How do you plan on anchoring the structure, just by it's weight with the rocks and all?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2006 23:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
The PVC un-sealed will not float. But if you trap air in it you will probably have a problem.

Maybe pre fill with sand or something?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2006 02:20Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Yeah, I might fill the acrylic box thing(my solution to the large dead spot) with sand or gravel before I fill it up. That would keep the structure down for sure.

Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2006 16:02Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
Ohhh, I see now. You're going to finish off the structure with acrylic slabs on the inside and then fill that up?

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2006 16:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Chew got it. I have 2 of the 7 peices cut for that. After that, I have to secure the screen, then the rocks. Fill the small gap with eco complete for the glosso to root into, then I'm ready to go with the tank. I'm figuring a couple days work would do it, but that will probably take a week or two to get the time.

Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2006 17:16Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Just a small quick update - I got all the acryllic cut today, and the bottom peice is siliconed in. I tried to do the whole thing, but I need the bottom to be secure so I can put the rest into place without popping the bottom out. So just a couple pics:

Post InfoPosted 14-Jul-2006 21:18Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
This is becoming so interesting, all this glueing and stuff. I have about 100 questions on its final look and feel, as well as another 66 questions somewhat like "what if ... "

But I think at this point I simply will enjoy the pictures (don't forget to keep em coming) and most questions will be answered automatically.

Have fun,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2006 13:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Ask away if you like. It seems I've stalled out a bit again. I tried to do too much at once again and the acryllic structure fell apart while the silicone was still wet. I have 4 of the 7 peices set. It's all about finding time, maybe after work today.

Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2006 15:14Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Well,

For one thing, are you going to paint that sucker?

I can imagine that at one spot or another, the structure will be visually exposed in the tank, maybe by rocks that don't quite overlap, or by Eco that falls off for whatever reason (like when you try to remove 5 layers of Glosso and the roots pull it off). If that is possible, wouldn't the white really stick out?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2006 16:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Well I finally got the acryllic work done. The silicone was allowed time to set then the gravel was added in. I really knew better than to try to do it all at once, but I got ambitious. This time it was done right, and looks like it will hold. I also got a bit of the screenwork done. I'm currently going to glue the sucker in place, then either use zip ties or do a bit of sewing with fishing line to keep it permanently attached.

6/7 sides siliconed in:

with top on, not siliconed:

With gravel and top siliconed, some screenwork done:

To answer the paint question - I thought about it, and was pretty sure I was going to, but I was afraid of getting the wrong type of paint and it taking my whole tank south with it. Any spot that's visible will be allowed to grow over with glosso, or have some moss/other plant or rock put in that place. That's become my solution, and I'm not sure if it will work entirely. The only other solution I have is silicone and sand. I might do that. The screen is pretty dark too and should help cover most of it up. Oh, the ecocomplete can't fall off. The structure will be "full" of ecocomplete. That's what the screen is for, to keep it in while letting the plants root through. That's what I'm hoping anyways.

Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2006 07:42Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Hey Matty,

What's with the socks ? It is about 300 degrees outside and you wear thick tennis socks?

Now I see where the Eco is supposed to go. I am sure that in the beginning it will be very messy. Some parts of the Eco are so tiny that they will fall right through the mesh. Also, I don't know if Eco gets used up, meaning parts of it slowly may integrate into the water column. If that should be the case then the area behind the mesh should gradually become less dense and collaps a little.

Nevertheless, your handy work looks very nice, I for sure would never have the patience to go through this

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2006 13:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
It's the only socks I'll wear. I gotta have comfy socks when I'm on my feet 10 hrs a day. Even if it's about 98* in the salt water room with all the halides and vho lighting. BTW that's bad for fish and corals, but I'm pretty sure everybody knew that.

Some parts of the Eco are so tiny that they will fall right through the mesh.

Yeah, I thought that might happen, but hopefully it won't take too long to settle.

If that should be the case then the area behind the mesh should gradually become less dense and collaps a little.

I think we're talking years here...right?

Nevertheless, your handy work looks very nice, I for sure would never have the patience to go through this

Well I'm more than ready to start putting plants and fish in. I think I can only wait another week(5 minutes), but the structure should be done in a matter of days now.

Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2006 16:11Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I think we're talking years here...right?
You know, I am not really an Eco expert (yet), I only recently added one tank with Eco (40) and retro-fitted two others (20 and 29).

It may have something to do with the way I added the Eco in the tanks, but I cannot say for sure:

Whenever I added a plant for the first time in an area, I had the feeling that the Eco was caving in a little, like falling into itself, if you know what I mean (if not, ask and I will try to explain better).

So I would say that you should maybe add the Eco and submerse that sucker in the tank, and then try to see if you can compact it a little (maybe it is based on air being trapped in the eco, I don't know), and maybe even let it settle for a few days before adding plants and stuff on the outside.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2006 19:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Do you think it would be better for me to use flourite or a plain ol' pea gravel instead of using eco in the falls? Obviously I'd stick with ececomplete everywhere else in the tank.

I do know that eco does have different sized granules on purpose, so that different layers form, and it takes an amount of time for it to settle naturally. That may be what you were experienceing there??

I was hoping tetratech would chime in on the properties of ecocomplete since he has had his up for a while...

Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2006 18:00Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Do you think it would be better for me to use flourite or a plain ol' pea gravel instead of using eco in the falls? Obviously I'd stick with ececomplete everywhere else in the tank.

Sounds like pea gravel would be the way to go. What happens with the eco is that the smaller grains work their way to the bottom thru the openings between the larger grains. So LF's statement about it collapsing into itself makes sense. Another option might be to put the eco or the gravel into women's stockings and fill up the inside of the fall. This way you won't run the risk of it mixing with the eco if you decide to adjust it. I find some women's beauty products very helpful in aquaria (stockings and hairnets) Bensaf should know all about it

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2006 19:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 1315
male ireland
Bensaf should know all about it

Cheeky

Yes, make sure to use a good skin moisturiser on your hands when finished working in the tank !

Must have missed something. Don't get why the acrylic is filled with gravel ???

How about drilling the acrlic with holes and filling with bio balls ? Additional bio filter ?

Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

Remember that age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2006 04:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Sounds like pea gravel would be the way to go

I thought it might. Glosso wll grow well with just ferts from the water column?

How about drilling the acrlic with holes and filling with bio balls ? Additional bio filter ?

I actually thought about it, seriously. Especially since I am running an undersized filter. I didn't really want to try to do that though. and the gravel is so my glossofall doesn't pick up and float away.

Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2006 17:00Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
So say you go with the bio-balls idea.
Drill a bunch of holes in the acrylic. Fill the think with the bio balls. Add a powerhead to pull the water into "biofilter" then with the powerhead have it piped up to stream out behind a rock or something of the sort. Thus simulated a natural spring? Ahh just my 2 cents!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2006 03:33Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Ok, just a bit of an update. I've finished with attaching the screen to the pvc structure, and bought some rocks to attach to it. I busted up one rock pretty well into smaller peices, but the 2 other rocks have taken chips out of my hammer and put dents into the sidewalk two stories below my bedroom window. The rocks are just fine - no worries there. So aside from breaking up rocks(any ideas?) I'm coming across problems with attaching them to the pvc structure. I bought some masonry bits to drill through some of the peices, but after 20 minutes I gave up with a hole of about 1 cm deep. The smallest peices I can silicone to the structure, but the larger ones I was hoping to screw into the pvc and silicone over the end of the screw and cover with sand or something to that effect, but I won't be drilling for 6 hours. I'm guessing adhesive or fishing line. I'm leaning towards fishing line only because I don't think an adhesive of any type will work(and continue to be stable for any amount of time). I don't really want the fishing line to be visible in the tank, but that might be the only way to do it. Maybe I can paint it the same color as the rock or maybe I can score the rock so the fishing line will fit down into the rock, effectively making it invisible. That might work, and it won't take so long to score it as it would to drill it.

Anyways, some pics of stuff. I think it's turning out ok so far. I had to make a few cuts and do some sewing. Something my old home-ec teacher might be proud of.

Tools of the trade:

Nearly complete, a bit easier to visualize from this point anyhow:

Mostly this pic is for some of the rock peices visible in the back, and another angle of the pvc structure:

Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2006 06:40Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
Kudos: 47
Votes: 99
male usa
This is a very interesting thread you've got going here. I can't wait to see this thing in the tank! Keep the pictures coming!

Rick
See all my pictures at Google Web Albums
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2006 02:13Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Thanks rick I'll try to keep up with the picks. Right now I'm a bit stalled out though, as I'm not too sure what to do with the rocks.

Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2006 15:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Matt would you mind taking some picture of the rocks on your contraption? Is the net to tight to hug the rocks?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2006 20:05Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Matty,

Sorry about my lack of entries, I am being buried with work. But what do I read there - you want to attach the rocks with fisching line? Hm, I wonder if that would be stable enough. I would not go that route, but hey - you are the handy man here, I am only the worrier

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 00:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
LF,
Is it just you or a German thing to always be playing war?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 02:27Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
... always be playing war?
Only with you Wings

No, I just think out loud and wonder about how things are supposed to work out, it is a very mind-boggeling contraption that Matty is building there.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 02:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Matt would you mind taking some picture of the rocks on your contraption? Is the net to tight to hug the rocks?

I would love to take picks with rocks on the contraption....however, I have not yet been able to get any rocks onto the contraption long enough to back away and snap a pic. The rocks will have to go on the outside of the netting, so they will be visible. Only gravel will be under the netting, and yes it's pretty tight, I don't want a saggy waterfall. It does crunches. and eats whole grain.

you want to attach the rocks with fisching line? Hm, I wonder if that would be stable enough. I would not go that route

You are only allowed to say stuff like that IF you have a better idea that I can implement. Otherwise, it can only be praise for my dark genious...muwahahaha..haha..heh.... For which(other ideas, not praise) I am still waiting, mainly for my own brain to come up with something because I understand now how handy you guys are. Seriously though...anybody? Or with how to break rocks. I can't be the only one who's had that issue. It's not like I just dropped them from 20 feet, I hurled them with all my measly strength and dented the sidewalk. I think I'll invest in a chisel and big hammer and maybe a guy to hold the chisel.

I'm thinking if they make fishing line to hold a 20LB trout or bass or something it can hold up a 1lb rock for eternity. So I'm not too worried there. It's mostly the visibility issue I'm having with it.

Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 04:51Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Matty,

What a clever response, if you would be only half as witty when it comes to splittig rock then your problem would already have been solved .

Seriously, isn't fossilized wood one of the most solid rocks out there? I think that the only way to get smaller pieces is to cut them up with one of these fancy slicers. Tetratech and I both tried to throw and hurl rocks before, I think he even tried the fossilized wood type, and all we got were dents all over the place, like driveway, garage, head, and what not.

The fishing line issue is not one of strenght of the line itself, it is a question of assuring that the way you wrap it around the rock and how you secure it onto the contraption does not allow the rock to move, turn, or even wiggle itself out of the line (for example - over time during water changes etc) and fall down.

As for a better idea - Sorry, but you are way more handy with these things.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 10:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Matt,
Let me get this right. You have two layers of netting? That way you can put the eco inbetween them? My thoughts are that you should make the netting looser thus to create pockets to hold the rocks. That way if you ever want to pull them out you can just pick them up.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 14:01Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
Hubby broke rock for me by placing the rock to be broken on an old paver. Then putting some sort of chisel thing on the rock & bashing the chisel with hammer. By the time we were finished, both my rock was broken into the several pieces I wanted & also the paver underneath split in 2 (so we were glad we didn't just try it directly on our paving itself).

I have no ideas for the connecting of rocks to your contraption - but I am very impressed with your concept, contraption & determination so far (so no ideas, but you sure do get my praise)

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 14:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
Tetratech and I both tried to throw and hurl rocks before, I think he even tried the fossilized wood type, and all we got were dents all over the place, like driveway, garage, head, and what not.

I'm just imagining tetra driving out to LFs house and bringing his rock collection. The two shake hands and then say, " OK, are we ready?" then start throwing rocks at each other's heads trying to break them

Sorry

Matty, I think 20lb test fishing line will do the trick. It's more a matter of the rocks slipping out of the way they're tied on. Unless I'm picturing this wrong...

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 15:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
Kudos: 47
Votes: 99
male usa
Matt,

How precise do you want to be when breaking the rock? When we were putting in a flowerbed at the house we had to break some rock. I went to HomeDepot and bought their heaviest sledge hammer, put on my steel toed shoes, and proceeded to whack the hell out of it.

Not very precise but I had nice manageable rocks and no stress.

Rick
See all my pictures at Google Web Albums
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 15:33Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
I'm just imagining tetra driving out to LFs house and bringing his rock collection. The two shake hands and then say, " OK, are we ready?" then start throwing rocks at each other's heads trying to break them

Are you tripping man

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 22:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 26-Jul-2006 22:58
This post has been deleted
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
EditedEdited by LITTLE_FISH
NowherMan6,

How did you know? You must have been that creepy guy who was hiding behind the hedge when we did that

But I guess you missed the part before the rock splitting attempt, because we had a few beers first. As such, aiming was not our strenght and besides a few broken windows, some dents in the driveway, and one or two scrapes tetratech and I escaped unharmed

Matty - nothing new there?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 10:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Matty - nothing new there?

Well I won a couple skins in a 2 day golf tourney in Cleveland Ohio.

Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 14:43Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Great Matty,

Maybe you can use the skins as a cover for the mesh and then the pipes wouldn't show so much (I know, I know, this one was lame).

I am glad that you have the luxury of having time with this project, I guess if you would be in a rush it would have failed already.

Keep us posted, on the tank and golf,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 14:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Well I do plan on using today to try and finish it, but haven't gotten started yet. I meant to tell you Wings, that I really like the pocket idea. If I can't get the fishing line to be mostly invisible, or if it desn't work, I'll use that idea. The pockets would just be difficult to implement, but sounds like it would work great. I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

Well I'm off to HD and wal-mart(can you beleive they don't sell fishing line at Home Depot )Updates later.

Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 15:29Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies