AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# Major replant - finally happened...
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMajor replant - finally happened...
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
NowherMan6,

Yeah, the fact that a plant is classified as a federal noxious weed doesn't seem to stop its distribution. Just look at Cabomba, same deal. Tetratech may know more about this particular "weed" as I have read that various water ways in Long Island have been heavily infested with it.

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2006 10:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
My wife to be's mom was asking me all sorts of questions if I was part of that problem a while ago....

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2006 14:50Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
Well, in some cases I think it does, at least with hygro. AZgardens.com and now aquariumplants.com have stopped selling it. (speaking of aquariumplants.com, have you seen the new website? snazzy)

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2006 15:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
The pic below shows a lake near my house. See how thick the water looks. It's completely choked with Cabomba

Attached Image:

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2006 16:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Thanks tetratech for the picture

You could make a fortune selling this stuff from that lake illegally, although I am not recommending at all that you do that.

And yes, I have seen the new site of aquariumplants.com, and in fact I have ordered from them twice since the new site is up. There are still some areas that they have blank right now, but I am sure they will fill them in when they have the time to do so (hey, just like FP).

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2006 18:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
EPILOGUE:

It has been a few months since my last post in this log, and, since it went on pretty long and in terms of developing my aquascaping and knowledge of planted tanks was an undoubted success, I thought this log deserved a formal wrap up.

My last ditch attempt to save and redo the tank failed. I couldn't beat back the algae, and most importantly, the disease that was sweeping through my tank earlier continued to kill off most my livestock. When I saw the remaining fish were infected, and knowing I couldn't stop whatever it was, I put them down. Very hard, that was, but to me it was the humane thing to do.

So lately I've just been tearing down the tank. Now, where once stood a developing world of my own creation, there is just an empty tank in need of a cleaning. No longer is it a vibrant piece of living art, just an empty space.

Now it's just time to move forward. I plan on removing the DW and just throwing it out. I could clean and scrub it, but I wouldn't feel right about selling it to someone else in case whatever disease was in the tank still remains inside the wood somewhere. The tank will get a good hard cleaning - bleach it out and get in every crevice. I plan on selling it locally once I feel it's ready. I feel I can sufficiently clean and disinfect it so that it can safely be used by someone else - however, if anyone out there feels it'd be better to just not sell it then please let me know, I'd like to know all opinions on this. I'll sell off the stand and the light hood.

However, I will keep the CO2 set-up and the cannister filter because I will be using them again some time in the near future. Large-ish planted tanks are not out of my future, I know that for sure. I just need to properly plan and think etc and learn from my past mistakes and successes. That's the best I can do, I think.

And so, I thank all of you for your contributions over the past year. LF, tetra, bensaf and others have taught me a lot. It's been tons of fun, and I'll see you on the boards

- Rich

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 04:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
EditedEdited by LITTLE_FISH
Rich,

What a sad epilogue

I knew somewhat that your tank wasn't doing too well, but I didn't know that it was so bad, with regards to algae and in particular the fish killing illness. I can deal with algae, but when one fish after the other succumbs to an illness, that eats me up. So sorry for you.

Being a man of caution, I would throw out the wood. Others may recomment to boil it, which may be fine, but that is not my style. Disinfecting the tank and other equipment will work well though, IMHO.

And I find it a good idea that you keep the CO2 unit, an expensive piece of equipment that will remind you that you have to put it to use in a bigger and better tank in the very near future .

Now, don't you dare to dissapear into the nirwana of becoming a lurking reader of our logs, your input is not only a pleasure of communication but your knowledge and experience are valuable assets that I would hate to see lost. More than once has your opinion swayed me into a particular direction (may I say driftwood from EBay).

Last but not least, planning and setting up a new tank is a very exciting task, keep on working on it

Have fun,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 10:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
Nowher,
Sorry to hear about taking your tank down and the loss of your fish. There are some fish in my tank I am going to cry the day they go because I have had them for about 5 years now.

Best wishes with the new set up soon to come. Keep us updated!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 13:55Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
It's that @#$% Jersey water.

Nowher,

It wasn't too long ago that I had a tank literally blow-up after turning it into the latest L.I. Brewery. I lost about half my fish, including my favorite Snowball Pleco. That tank also had it's share of problems with a slimy coating that seemed to get on all my plants. I learned alot from that experience with the help of Bensaf, LF and you as well.

Sometimes things just happen and are beyond your control, bad piece of DW, corrupted eco-complete, diseased fish.
Even Amano talks about all the fish he killed along the way as he learned about the hobby.

This country is run by a cowboy, so get back on your horse.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 16:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I've been keeping up with all of your logs and have found them inspiring, but when I ceased to be inspired by my own that's when I knew it was time to tear it down and start over again later.

I guess it's a case of the "46 bowfront curse" striking again. My next move I guess will be to clean everything out and sell it off, and then start planning another tank. I won some money while in AC two weeks ago (kids, don't gamble .... and don't drink ... and certainly don't do both at once ) so I may get a price quote on a custom type tank, or maybe go for an ADG type set-up, something smaller and rimless, we'll see.

And Wings, I hear ya on the fish part. The hardest ones for me were the loaches, they had more personality than any other fish in there. For a while the deaths stopped, then would come again, then stop again etc. This last wave is when I put them down.

Thanks again for th esupport all

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 19:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
or maybe go for an ADG type set-up

Now that is pure evil

First making us all sad, and then telling us you go all out and get a super tank. You go, Man

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 20:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
The camera does not make the photo, nor does the tank make the aquascape. Just tools my friend, that's all they are.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2006 05:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
The camera does not make the photo, nor does the tank make the aquascape
Well Rich, not really

If it wouldn't be for you then I probably would make mostly mediocre pictures. Not because I learned so much about how to make pictures from you, but because you recommended the right lense.

And with regrads to the tank: I immediately noticed the silicone borders after I redid the 20G and wished for an ADA tank. It would have made a big difference.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2006 10:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies