AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# 72 Gallon Bowfront Setup Log
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe72 Gallon Bowfront Setup Log
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
I guess we scare them off with our CO2, EI, etc. talk . Or maybe we bore them to death

Probably a little of both. Have you been to APC? That site and forum is all planted tank enthusiasts and many of it's topics are more detailed. Bensaf and I have conversed there as well.

Last edited by tetratech at 29-Sep-2005 15:22

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
PJ,

Thanks for your comments, they're appreciated.

Cols,

Thanks for your input as well, but could you change your font color, really hard to see. :%)

My Scapes
Bob Wesolowski
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1462
male usa
Idefinitely think that both (Ingo and yourself are getting reads, it is just that we have nothing to add. Might be nice to post a progression of readings to see what has happened to pH with CO2 and to see the effects of the cycle!

bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 1315
male ireland
So Bensaf, you definitely one another round against the test kits.

Ding Ding seconds out....round 2

Never trust a No3 test kit , they'll have you running around in circles on a wild goose chases and can screw you up bad.

Trust the plants, trust what you know you are dosing, cycling or not a couple of guppies aren't going to create 40ppm of NO3, trust your knowledge and not the red liquid. Ya need red liquid grab a nice glass of Irish Whiskey and settle down and watch your tank or cuddle your wife.

a left hook to the jaw.......oh it's a knockout

Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

Remember that age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Lots of nice growth from day 1 to 5 there tetratech. Looks like everything is under control. Will look great once the foreground plants grow in some.

LF and Tetratech - Sorry I haven't been posting much on the forums here lately...I'm mostly just lurking. Working 48 hrs. a week at a fish store turns me off from answering more fish/plant q's.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:44Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Bob,
Will do

Matty,
Thanks for checking in, appreciate your comments.

Bensaf,
Decided to take your advice and relax in front of my tank (Couldn't get the wife to join me). Here's a pic and yes those are my feet.

BTW - Did 30% wc last nite and dosed again. I think the rotala needs a trim.

tetratech attached this image:

My Scapes
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Day 1 vs Day 9 Pic

Positive Notes:
1. I have seen no sign of algae as of yet.
2. Rotala, Wisteria, Dwarf Hairgrass are all growing very strongly

Negative Notes:
1. Stargrass is growing a little stringy, I cut back the grouping to the right of the rotala, to see if it will bunch up better.
2. Java Moss has never grown well in any of my co2, high light tank. It always has dusty looking particles clinging to it that I guess slows it's growth.

Last edited by tetratech at 02-Oct-2005 09:17
[/font]

My Scapes
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
tetratech,

Looking good there

I find that Star Grass is growing stringy when it is not exposed to a current, like from a filter outlet. I don’t have it in the 125, but both other tanks show stringy growth when place in rather calm waters and bushy growth when positioned in the current stream.

I am not too lucky with my moss (Xmas) either, parts of it look like they are dying (really dark green or brown) while others seem to simply maintain their size rather than grow.

I like the fact that your tank is getting a little greener, as you know – I like a brighter look and feel than you do.
It is a miracle to me that you don’t have any algae – want some ? How are the Otos and Guppies doing? I also hope your Ram is fine, btw – thanks for the comments on my Ram loss.

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Thanks for the comments,

That's an interesting comment about the Stargrass.

I have java moss in my son's 12gallon guppy tank with 1 wpg and it grows great, beautiful thick, rich green, but here it looks like it's collecting dust.

You have a good eye. The green area is larger based on moving the wisteria more to the right. Anything tall will remain in that one grouping off left.

When I looked in my tank last nite I did see some algae on the back glass, but nothing on the plants - yet. Your also running more light than me for the same depth and width tank, so it might be more of challenge for you, although you have more plant mass.

So far all the fish I have put in are fine, right now I have:

5 guppies
5 Rummynose
2 Otos
2 BN plecos
1 Cory
1 Bolivan Ram
1 Ghost shrimp (LFS sold it as a Yamato, and I didn't know
]:|)

I'm deciding whether the rummys will be my main school or a different species. I would like to go with cardinals, but it's tough to get good ones.

Last edited by tetratech at 03-Oct-2005 09:59

My Scapes
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Sorry, but I had to laugh when I read how your LFS ripped you off on the shrimp.

An Amano (assuming that the Yamato is an Amano) shrimp is a bit more expensive than the ordinary Ghost.

[link=The Krib]http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Shrimp/" style="COLOR: #ff6633[/link] has a good page differentiating the individual shrimp types.

I hope you will go back there and let them have it .

Ingo

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
You could bet on it. I've been going to this store a long time. So I'm going to have fun with it.

My Scapes
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
I'm debating whether I should let loose a couple of ramshorn snails into my new tank to help with algae control. I've gotten mixed feedback from FP members about them destroying plants. Some feel they will only go after dead or dying leaves and others feel they will destroy living leaves as well.

These snails did make a perfectly healthy banana plant disappear, but I think Bensaf pointed out that it was because of the soft leaf structure of that plant. I have rotala, hairgrass, wistera, but the plant I'm most concerned about is the stargrass.

My Scapes
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
tetratech,

I have quite a few Ramshorn snails in my 20G and 29G and I am sure that it is actually just a question of time until they will appear in the 125G. So far, this tank has only a few Malaysian Trumpet snails that sneaked in on the plants.

[link=Here]http://naturalaquariums.com/plantedtank/0504.html" style="COLOR: #ff6633[/link] is a link to a TFH article about snails. It seems to be undecided if they eat plants or not. Mine have not eaten plants so far, at least not to a point that I would have noticed it.

My snail control tool is my hand, as I am not willing to add larger fish to eat them.

Now, why do you want to add them? Algae control? I thought you don’t have any algae (see a few posts back in this thread).

Ingo

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
You must have missed this, it's part of my post about three posts back.

When I looked in my tank last nite I did see some algae on the back glass, but nothing on the plants - yet. Your also running more light than me for the same depth and width tank, so it might be more of challenge for you, although you have more plant mass.

I'm trying to be proactive before the algae has a chance to get to bad. If I follow the Amano why I should be adding about 50 shrimp to my tank at this stage. I don't think that's going to happen.

Last edited by tetratech at 03-Oct-2005 14:29

My Scapes
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
I noticed after my 1400 post I became a Fish Master.
I checked my tank and I saw some pearling for the first time. So in celebration of my new status. Here are a few pics.

Here's is some rotala pearling

My Scapes
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
And here's a pic of what I'm going to call my wisteria grove. I really am enjoying this part of the tank.

My Scapes
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
wow teratech that is a really nice way to grow wisteria. I've never liked that plant until now!

and congrats fish master

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Thanks for the comments. For some reason I've always like this plant in a sweeping ground cover pattern.

My Scapes
bananacoladafuze
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 147
Votes: 19
female usa
Very beautiful tank. Watching this log (and the other logs) has been a lot of fun so far.
Why do the plants pearl? It's really pretty. Can -all- plants do it, or just some?

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
bananacoladafuze

Thanks for the tank comments. As far as pearling. Plants pearl when their level of photosynthesis is really good. They are utilizing the light, co2 and other nutrients to produce oxygen. The pearling is basically oxygen bubbles. In other words, the plant is really happy.

I don't know if all plants pearl, probably some easier than others.

My Scapes
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Well life isn't perfect and either is my tank. Had a few glitches the last couple of days.

1. One ballast went out on my 192 watt fixture, so I'm operating on 96 watts over the 72G.
2. My tank continues to get clouder and clouder. I'm not sure why it looks like it's either a bacterial or algae bloom. A bacterial bloom would surprise me because I'm barely feeding, not alot of fish and the tank has been only set up for about 11 days. Although I've seen very little physical algae, I fear it is an algae bloom, brought on by too much po4 and no3 in the water column.
3. One of my rummynoses died after doing a 50% wc. I think I'm going to reduce these to 30% and reduce dosing as well from now on. I don't think my plant mass has enough "suck up" power.

I'm deciding whether I want to do a 3 to 4 day blackout to clear the water as I get my lighting straightened out.

My Scapes
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
tetratech,

Sorry to hear that. I can't help you with the cloudiness (or could it be the substrate yet again?) but, as you know, I was investigating the next group of fish for my tank.

Of the options I came up with, namely Black Neon, Glow Light, and Rummies, the Rummy Nose Tetras are the most fragile and react the strongest when added to "unclear" water. Our tanks are cycling and certainly not clear. I think this is why he (?) died.

Rummies are supposedly way more sensitive than Cardinals and I would never add these to a new tank.

How this helps,

Ingo

bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
When the water is supersaturated with O2 the oxygen become visible on the leaves of the plant. All plants produce oxygen so all plants are capable of pearling.Some oxygenate more then others, some are too far away from the light source. Generally fast growing stems would be the first, but there are exceptions, Java Fern which is considered a slow grower will pearl like crazy given half a chance. Low ground cover plants would not pearl too often , probably because they are so far from the light.
A heavy fish load, where there's a lot of oxygen being consumed by the livestock would reduce a tanks ability to pearl somewhat.

I doubt very much the Rummy died as a result of the WC.I've being doing these big WC's for a year now and never had a casualty, even in my Rummy stock. In fact I would say the fish enjoy the WC's they generally seem more active and willing to spawn after a big WC.
Rummies aren't that sensitive IMO, I've had some for going on 2 years now without any major issues, despite all my messing around with the tank. They are slow to acclimatise though. They don't like being moved, it takes them about 2 weeks to truly settle in to a new tank. It's not uncommon to lose a few during this period. Once that 2 week break in is complete they are fairly tough and wouldn't consider them sensitive.

They are far more reliable then any test kit. Watch those noses, if they aren't bright red there's something up. I'd trust the redness of their noses over the redness of a test kit solution anyday.

Don't understand the desire to keep reducing the nutrients. You've said yourself many time that even Amano goes true this dodgy settling in period for about 3 weeks. The secret is to stay focused and keep going. But you still want to reduce everything ?

I'm not sure what's causing the cloudiness, possibly bateria. Are you adding macros and micros on different days? One of the reasons for doing this is that if Iron is dosed with P04 it can precipitate and cause some cloudiness.

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Don't understand the desire to keep reducing the nutrients. You've said yourself many time that even Amano goes true this dodgy settling in period for about 3 weeks. The secret is to stay focused and keep going. But you still want to reduce everything ?

If my tank isn't cloudy, we are not having this conversation. This is really perplexing me. I thought I had everything covered. I can't think of anything that is causing this other than the high numbers I'm getting. I am dosing macros and micros on different days. My plants look good, that's not the issue, water appearance is, which I feel is going to lead to something really bad (remember my white cloud). The Eco Complete contains alot of stuff. Maybe this is somehow reacting with the macros. The only thing I could put my finger on is high nutrients vs plant load. Bensaf, have you ever used EI in a tank like mine, where the plants weren't shoulder to shoulder from the start. I never had cloudiness issues before I started dosing po4 no3. Isn't true that the plants need very little of these, but they do need them. If my plant mass isn't there to suck up these nutrients isn't there going to be a reaction from something, bacterial bloom, algae from these left over nutrients, possibly before a water change.

Last edited by tetratech at 05-Oct-2005 23:42
[/font]

My Scapes
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
If my tank isn't cloudy, we are not having this conversation.

Understood.

This is really perplexing me.

Perplexing me too.

I can't think of anything that is causing this other than the high numbers I'm getting.

But the last set of numbers you posted (20ppm No3, 2ppm PO4) aren't particularly high. Still in, albeit upper end, of the normal levels for a planted tank.

My plants look good, that's not the issue,

Maybe not the issue but an important clue and indicator as to what's going on.

The Eco Complete contains alot of stuff. Maybe this is somehow reacting with the macros.

This is where we have to keep cool heads and not go off on wild goose chases. EC is a popular product, used by a fair number of plant hobbyists a good proportion of whom are adding macros. Do they get reactions ? Looking at the list of ingredients, it's mostly the kind of stuff you'd find in a typical liquid fert, do you get a reaction when you add liquids ? Why not ask Seachem. Any chance you got a second corrupted batch.

The only thing I could put my finger on is high nutrients vs plant load. Bensaf, have you ever used EI in a tank like mine, where the plants weren't shoulder to shoulder from the start.

No. But bear in mind that EI is designed to dose to excess even for the heavily planted tank. Experience seems to show that the excess causes no harm. Again your numbers are not outrageously high.

I never had cloudiness issues before I started dosing po4 no3.

But many many people add this things to their tanks without cloudiness issues or reactions. So experience would say there's not a connection.

Isn't true that the plants need very little of these, but they do need them.

Well they did relatively high amounts. After Carbon the largest component of plant matter is Nitrogen. They need about 10-20ppm of N and 1-2ppm of P in the water to do well. Pretty much what you've got.

If my plant mass isn't there to suck up these nutrients isn't there going to be a reaction from something, bacterial bloom, algae from these left over nutrients,
Can't see how it could trigger a bacterial bloom, After all the bacteria produces Nitrate not consume it. A bacterial bloom occurs when there is suddenly enough available ammonia for the bacteria to break down so it increase it's mass to do the breaking down, so much so that the bacteria is now dense enough to be visible. Just can't see how Nitrate or Phosphate would trigger this.
As far algae, well it's been gone over enough times that the thought that algae need excess nutrients to suddenly appear isn't terribly logical. Plus it just doesn't sound like any type of algae I know of. If it was green water, well it would be green by now. The fact that it only appears in the evening (is that still the case?) is puzzling also, once algae is there, it's there. We all know how difficult it is to get rid of , it just doesn't pop up at night and disappear during the day.
So what are we left with ? Some kind of water chemistry reaction ? Some form of diatoms ?

I'm not trying to nag you here or prove you wrong. Just being the voice of reason to balance the voice in your head that may be telling you to do things that may not be for the best.

If you think it's a nutrient reaction well it's pretty easy to prove or dis-prove. You can reduce or stop the dosing. Wait a couple of weeks, if the cloudiness is still there well that eliminates the nutrients, right? If the cloudiness disappears that doesn't neccessarily mean it was the macros, but in order to prove it was you should be able to induce it by adding the macros back. If you can induce it, you have conclusive proof the macros were the cause. Once you can eliminate or prove the effect of macros the range of causes is reduced dramatically and you can move on to other possibilities.

I'm only advising against knee jerk reactions. You have to bear in mind any major change to the running of the tank needs at least 2-3 weeks to see the full effect.Otherwise you're shooting in the dark and making assumptions. Stability is vital.

Try the above. My own inclination would be to reduce the macros first, rather then totally eliminate them, you don't won't dying plants added to the list of problems.
Half dosage for 2-3 weeks.If cloudiness still there then stop completely, again watch for a couple of weeks. If the cloudiness goes during half dose, go back to full dose to see if it triggers it again. Being able to induce it is the only certain way to prove the cause.

If the cloudiness still persists after all this well at least we know the macros aren't the cause.

Maybe a diatom or UV filter can come into play then to see if it helps.

Lastly, you just add the Equilibrium once a week ? I seem to remember on the label it states it can cause cloudiness for a few hours. Long shot.

Apart from all that I can only offer wild guesses. The first thing that popped into my head when you said it only shows up late in the evening was oxygen ! Late in the evening for the couple of hours before lights out is when the tank is heaviest in oxygen, due to plants photosynthesis. Bacteria needs oxygen like any other organism. Wondering if that is triggering bacteria activity. After lights out oxygen levels drop as the plants switch over to Co2 production. We already know that the bacteria can only survive a few hours without oxygen so that could explain why the tank is clear the following morning. Just a theory but it was my gut instinct the first time I heard your problem. I refrained from mentioning it as I have no scientific basis for it, and I'm probably talking crap. But does this theory tie in with what you are seeing in the tank. Is the cloudiness showing up late in the photoperiod before the lights go out ? Does it disappear during the night ?

If it were this then I'd imagine it would disappear as the bacteria colony stabilises and finds an equilibrium.

Or maybe I need to stabilise and find an equilibrium

Last edited by bensaf at 06-Oct-2005 02:26

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Firstly, thanks for answering everything that was in my head.

Any chance you got a second corrupted batch.

I did test the liquid in the bags for po4 and I got a 0.25 reading. Also the tank was crystal clear for at least the first 8 days.

Lastly, you just add the Equilibrium once a week

I am not currently using Equilibrium. I know LittleFish is.

The first thing that popped into my head when you said it only shows up late in the evening was oxygen

It definitely looks clouder by end of day, but is somewhat cloudly in the morning as well.

Since I'm down a ballast, I'm goint to do a lights out for 2 days. I want to see if the tank clears. If yes, what does that tell us? After I get my lights squared away. I'm going to reduce ferts and see what happens with the reduced fert application.

BTW - I did a 50% wc yesterday and the tank looked alittle clearer, but within a few hours it appeared cloudly again.
So it's replicating very quick. Is that bacterial or algae-based. You might have noticed I wen to APC to get some opinions. Trenac posted a link to green water (don't know if you saw it) http://www.aquariaplants.com/cloudygreenwater.htm Mine definitely sounds more like an algae bloom than bacterial. I also don't know how reliable the source of the article is.

Another desperate theory. My light bulbs are about 18 months old. Could this fiqure in the mix, by given the correct wave to green water. As I said it's a desperate stretch and alittle embarrasing, afterall I am a "Fish Master"

My Scapes
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Yo Fish Master ,

No need to be embarrassed as this situation seems to puzzle even the Grand Master Bensaf. And I am of no help either.

Less cloudy in the morning, more at night. This sounds to me as something is growing during the day and then dies off at night, but not completely. Seems the lights out method for 2 days should show an effect if it is bacterial or algae. At least you should have much clearer water immediately after ending this period.

I think that certain light spectra favor certain algae (or bacteria?) to grow. I also heard that “old” bulbs tend to shift in the emitted light spectrum. So maybe this is a possibility as well.

Otherwise, I have no clue

Ingo

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa

Thanks LittleFish

I also heard that “old” bulbs tend to shift in the emitted light spectrum
Please explain.

BTW - I have two other small tanks in the house for my kids (12 gallon, 1 wpg guppy) and a 10 gallon, newt, white cloud freaky thing) and the water is crystal clear - always. so it's definitely not my tap.

My Scapes
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
Well you're stretching now. Don't think it's lights. But new bulbs will tell you that.

It still sounds bacterial or a water chemistry thing to me. If it was green water algae you should have pea soup by now. That stuff comes and stays.

I saw the APC post, I think trenac mis understood the syptoms.

Did you give the new tank a good clean before setting everything up ?

If it is alage or diatoms a UV or Diatom filter will clear it up in a few hours.That's more bucks though.

Last edited by bensaf at 06-Oct-2005 10:10

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Change of plans. I decided to skip the blackout and take the high road or should I say the Bensaf Road and keep the tank going with lights (96 watts) and not dose over the next 4 or 5 days.

Here's a pic of day 12 (I think). From the pic the tank looks clear, but their definitely is a whitish, slightly green tint (algae) to the water, which worsens during the daylight hours. I don't know if this will go away even with reduced ferts.

I also have this fear from my 46 living white cloud thingy, which I think was caused by the diy co2 backing in, but it was never really proven.

My Scapes
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
Can't see anything in the photo ?!

Have you tested for ammonia ? That's a cinch for green water.

Hey Tetra have you checked this out
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/showthread.php?t=7212

Last edited by bensaf at 06-Oct-2005 10:26

LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Great,

Now all you have to do is to chop down a Willow Tree

Ingo

EDIT: About the light shift-

In my own words, limited by my lack of knowledge in chemistry and physics. The gas in a PC is composed of various different gases that together form the desired temperature. The gas in the bulb gets old over time (who doesn't?) and certain components age faster than others. When this happens, the remaining gas transmitts in a different temperature. I hope that makes some sense :%).

Last edited by LITTLE_FISH at 06-Oct-2005 11:54

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
The pic really doesn't due it justice. It's definitely not that clear and that was a morning shot of the tank.

Bensaf - I actually did stumble across that willow-based cleansing process. What's next voodoo :%). I didn't think I would have to resort to these things within the first two weeks. Amano makes it sound so easy. put 50 shrimp in here, trim here, yada, yada, yada......

LF - Thanks for the bulb info, I should have my full 192 watts back by tomorrow.

Tonite, I'll post another pic, see if it looks cloudy.
I've reduced co2 and I'm not dosing since my po4 and no3 indicators are still high enough. I did test for nh3 and got 0.25 yesterday, but I don't trust my kit. It's really old and uses that dry reagent stuff with the little spoon. Good for dosing po4.

BTW - The willow tree. Are they talking "weeping willow" because I have a huge one in my front yard. "Branches should be 1 to 2 years old" they mean "live" ones still on the tree. Oh they root, so they would have to be live.

Last edited by tetratech at 06-Oct-2005 13:35

My Scapes
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
Ingo,
That old gas will really get you everytime, ask the wife

, but I don't trust my kit.

Ah, you learn fast young grasshopper

Yeah, weeping willow and a fresh branch. Why not give it a try ?

Voodoo might be an idea. Imagines Tetra sticking pins in doll that looks like a 40 year old Irishman with pom poms

Sorry feeling all lightheaded today :%)

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Voodoo might be an idea. Imagines Tetra sticking pins in doll that looks like a 40 year old Irishman with pom poms

Don't give me any ideas.

I'm gonna try the willow thing. My wife is gonna be so impressed.

I'll send a pic tomorrow.

My Scapes
Untitled No. 4
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 452
Votes: 33
male uk
Just a thought about the cloudiness...

Water cannot be saturated with limitless amount of minerals in them. When they're fully saturated and something else is added, something has to go and precipitation will occur and will cloud the water until it settles down and disappear.

So, if your water is already saturated and you add your fertilisers in the morning your tank will be cloudy for a several hours. If you don't add fertilisers in the morning, it is probably something else.
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
…in doll that looks like a 40 year old Irishman…

Would that be your younger brother?

tetratech – you said you would post another pic last night to show us if it looks cloudier. Did it look cloudier?

Ingo

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Untitled
Well, things for the analysis, I haven't added ferts now for 5 days and water is still cloudy. It looks like it has a hint of green, so I'm pretty sure it's GW.

LF
Would that be your younger brother?
Good comeback BTW - I didn't post last nite, because you couldn't tell anything from the pic, but the tank was cloudier.

O.K. Here's a pic of the tank this morning with the willow branches . I really hope this isn't some russian internet scam.

BTW - Plants continue to look good, very little if any algae (besides the GW) I've already trimmed the rotala several times. Stargrass still looking alittle stringy, but I recently trimmed and it looks fuller. Only major plant problem so far is growing java moss, it get's weighted down with so much crap, but I believe that's because it's not really growing.

Last edited by tetratech at 07-Oct-2005 08:10
[/font]

My Scapes
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Another pic of Day 5 vs Day 13.

Obviously biggest change is the willow teepee structure to the right. Fits right in (I couldn't find good branchy driftwood anyway, right LF)

The rotala and wisteria have been my best growers. The Rotala really has a nice pinkish hue to it. The dwarf hairgrass which you can't really see continues to spread.

I haven't done any fert dosing for about 5 days other than co2, which I've reduced because of less light. I also took nh3 reading this morning and got bascially a zero reading even with the cloudy water. Here are my numbers from today and they do make sense.

ph 6.8 - this is has risen from about 6.6 since I've reduced co2 production
kh 3 - always pretty staple between 3 and 4
po4 .5 to 1.0 - down no ferts 5 days
no3 10 ppm - down, no ferts 5 days
nh3 0 - With the couldy water.

Looks like I'm close to bottoming out on some nutrients. I will dose a smiggen (is that a word) just to stablize. Now I have nothing to fear I have willow branches in my tank. Next stop diatom filter, right Bensaf

Last edited by tetratech at 07-Oct-2005 11:58
[/font]

My Scapes
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
tetratech,

I think your tank looks super. Whatever cloudy stuff you have in there, it is invisible in the pics.

Did that willow tree site also mention anything about marching around the tank and singing a particular song while doing so?

I would say you should increase your fertilizing to reach a Nitrate level of 20ppm and adjust all other ferts to that condition (phosphate 1-2ppm). It seems that fertilizing has no effect on the “cloud” and you currently risk a “bottoming-out situation” on one or the other fert that would bring on an algae outbreak.

Ingo

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Thanks Littlefish. The water does look clear in the pic, but trust me it's a greenish tint right now. I wish I could attach a small video(mpeg) of the tank (don't think we have that yet at FP ]:| ) The thing I don't understand is the my nh3 is zero and most will say a algae bloom is associated with high nh3.

Yes, going to start adding some no3, po4 back in. Actually my lighting situation is this. One ballast broke and no for some reason the other bulb is on going off and on. :%) Since I had one broken ballast and two bulbs that are 18 months old I decided to just purchase a new fixture (coralife dual cf 192watts from HelloLights). I decided to stick with 192 watts on the 36in fixture, because I feel the 2.7 wpg is enough. The 48in fixture would have given me 3.6 wpg. I just don't thing I need that much. I would have liked to get up to 3wpg like you. I guess I could always put another small light on top.

Last edited by tetratech at 07-Oct-2005 17:29

My Scapes
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Here's a pic looking thru left side of aquarium. Now you could see the cloudiness.

My Scapes
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
Well at least the addition of Macros has been eliminated from the equation.

Still mystifying though.

Be interesting to see if the willows work. If not the next step may be a blackout or Diatom filter.

I'm choosing to retain my dignity and will not stoop to dignifying the cheap shots about my age with a response. But I will say this -

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
I'm choosing to retain my dignity and will not stoop to dignifying the cheap shots about my age with a response

I'm staying out of this one.

I'm going to play devils advocate with the macros. Yes, true my no3 and po4 are currently at minimal levels, but could they have started the cloud and now it has enough to keep going.

My Scapes
Untitled No. 4
----------
Big Fish
male uk
Okay, I've missed something about the willows, but that's because I don't have as much time as I would like to read lately, so I mainly look at the pictures.

In any case, I would try Purigen if I were you. It does wonders to clear cloudiness from tanks and it's a relatively cheap solution, unlike a diatom filter.

I really like the look of the tank and you made me think about changing my substrate which I'm trying hard to resist because I can't be bothered going through that.

Last edited by Untitled No. 4 at 08-Oct-2005 02:08
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Untitled,

Thanks for the Purigen info, might give it a try, because the next stop is a diatom filter. Purigen sounds like it should only be used short term or it will remove things the plants need as well.

If you interested in the willow story, here is the link that Bensaf originally sent to me.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/showthread.php?t=7212

Last edited by tetratech at 08-Oct-2005 07:31

My Scapes
Untitled No. 4
----------
Big Fish
male uk
Thanks for the link. I'll sure read it.

As for Purigen, it is especially made for planted tank exactly because it does NOT remove any nutrients that activated carbon would and so there's no problem using it in a planted tank. I've used it in mine for a long time now non-stop and I have no problems with it.

I keep saying that whenever I get to say something about Purigen, but I think it does an amazing job in clarfying the water. Even without cloudiness the results are astonishing. The only thing you do need to pay attention to is that if you use a water conditioner with amine based stress coat, you shouldn't attempt to recharge it as the process of recharging when used with amines makes it lethal for the fish. In any case, it's still cost effective as it lasts for months.
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Just added it to my "fish net" at BigAlsOnline.

thanks much!

My Scapes
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Update - Day 15 Pic

The tank continues to remain cloudy with GW. The sticks in the tank are willow branches which supposely have have been used successfully by othe aquarists to clear water. A thread of this procedure was originally directly to me by Bensaf. I'm going to start a thread on FP as well detailing the progress.

Anyway back to the tank:
The plants continue to grow great even now the stargrass is starting to pop after a trim. One thing I'm not crazy about is the color of the stargrass closely matches that of the wisteria and almost looks the same at a first glance. I have reduced my ferts to about 1/8 tsp no3 and 1/32 tsp po4.

Although I have GW, there is ABSOLUTELY no algae on the plants. There is some spot algae on the glass. Is this common for GW, not to have it on the plants, but in the water column only.

The fish are all doing well including the remaining rummynoses (lost one). My bristlenose does seem to be ruining some of the dwarf hairgrass by laying on top of it and moving around.

Last edited by tetratech at 09-Oct-2005 09:42
[/font]

My Scapes
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
I'm going to play devils advocate with the macros. Yes, true my no3 and po4 are currently at minimal levels, but could they have started the cloud and now it has enough to keep going.

You just won't let up

GW will not appear on plants , it's free floating. Recipe to create = Ammonia and light.

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
You just won't let up
Bensaf, let's talk man to man.
What would cause GW? The GW is feeding off something. I've never had GW in a non co2, non fert tank even one's with minimal plant mass. The things this tank has that the other ones don't are co2 and proactive nutrient addition (no3 po4). Test kits (forget the no3 one) have shown that my nutrients are not being sucked up that quickly. Probably because my plant mass is not that great. Isn't that the idea behind the willow. If I would have filled my tank with Hygro I bet I wouldn't have this situation.

My Scapes
goldfishgeek
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 412
Votes: 38
female uk
I just had to pop in and say
(in true little fish style)

1. Hi!
2.Tetratech you tank looks great, I love the way you have it laid out.
3. The Bensaf, Little Fish, Tetratech combo makes me laugh so much it is untrue(and clearly suggests a lack of social life) but between the voodoo dolls and the willow (which I thought was a wind up) its just brilliant reading this log and Little Fish's log - which I will now go check out....

GFG

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:44Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
GFG,

Firstly, I'm glad you see the humor in the exchange. Sometimes with the Internet it's hard to get the infliction. Without the smileys I think alot of FP would take things the wrong way.

Thanks for the tank comments, that is always good to hear, unfortunately if my tank continues to get cloudier I won't be able to see the layout soon.

In terms of social life, if you look at the average post per day by FP member (LittleFish 5.6, Bensaf 2.2, Tetratec 2.1) I think you could see who doesn't have much of a social life. ]] Just kidding LF - my wife is ready to throw in the towel.

My Scapes
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
LittleFish 5.6, Bensaf 2.2, Tetratec 2.1

]:|

That’s because you guys are members since forever and one cannot keep up my pace (only 4 months of membership), except if all you provide is a series of one-liners. I bet you tetratech that ever since we started our big tank projects you posted just as much as I did, if not more.

My wife doesn’t see me very often these days. If I am not working on my tank then I am staring at it, or I edit some pictures of the tank, or I create entries here.

Now, with regards to your tank:

I think it still looks very beautiful. I see that the Rotala is growing really strong and the Wisteria is spreading out nicely. The Willow branches give the tank an Asian design, almost like Bamboo. Do they help at all (maybe I should check what you have in the “specialized” thread)?

I somehow must have missed the point when you identified your cloud as green water. What made you conclude that this is what it is? I remember that in particular my 29G had a whitish cloud that didn’t go away for at least 2 weeks. How about the substrate – no chance that it is the culprit? Bensaf – look away for this question:What are your current tank parameters? Do they make any sense? What’s the ammonia, nitrate, and phosphate (in particular the last one)?

Till soon,

Ingo

EDIT: My current post count is 5.7

Last edited by LITTLE_FISH at 09-Oct-2005 17:50

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
That’s because you guys are members since forever and one cannot keep up my pace (only 4 months of membership), except if all you provide is a series of one-liners.
Touche

29G had a whitish cloud that didn’t go away for at least 2 weeks
How did you finally get rid of it?

Over the weekend it has a very obvious greenish hue to it. I don't think it's the eco, my phosphate numbers are within line not into the stratasphere. My numbers are as follows:

ph 6.6
kh 3
no3 20ppm (hard to tell with kit)
po4 1ppm (this used to be 50 to 100 times w/old eco
nh3 0ppm (there's no nh3 feeding the bloom)
wb 5pp72g (5 Willow Branches per 72 gallons)

The only number I'm surprised about is the no3, which of course I don't know if it's accurate. You see the plant load, not tremendous, but pretty thick. I'v only dosed 1/8 tsp no3 and 1/16 tsp po4 over the last week or so since the bloom. willow hasn't rooted yet so nothing new to report.

My Scapes
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
wb 5pp72g (5 Willow Branches per 72 gallons)

OK lets talk mano e mano. Co2 doesn't cause GW. No3 doesn't cause GW. PO4 doesn't cause GW. Ammonia and too much light cause GW.
If it did why don't I and many many others have GW when we add these things, and not all are planted "shoulder to shoulder".
You don't have to take my word for this or anything else. You can test it all yourself.
Take your non co2 tank and add Ammonia and/or leave your lights on for too long and see how quickly the GW starts. Alternately add the No3 Po4 to that tank and see if you get GW.
Many people have suggested a black out for GW and it works. But a black out doesn't remove No3 or Po4 does it, so why does a black out get rid of GW ? Simple GW has nothing to do with NO3 or PO4 levels. Light and Ammonia.

I can understand the thinking of it "only happened when I added No3, Po4 and Co2". But it ain't always that simple. You may as well say I don't add sugar to the tank maybe that's why it has GW.
You can test and experiment to rule out or prove things. Take away the nutrients you suspect or add them and see the results.It's very very easy to do, you need to be willing to thrash a tank though, which of course, most of us don't won't to do.

BTW if I remember correctly from the original willow thread, there was a theory that the willow releases a chemical, forgotten the name, that messes up the GW, rather then it being a nutrient sucking thing.

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
BTW if I remember correctly from the original willow thread, there was a theory that the willow releases a chemical, forgotten the name, that messes up the GW, rather then it being a nutrient sucking thing.

From reading most of the posts, it appears members didn't see results until the willow developed a considerable root system, suggesting the willow IMO was "sucking up" not "releasing down"

Last edited by tetratech at 10-Oct-2005 07:49

My Scapes
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
tetratech,

You say that the service that the willow may provide to your tank is based on a root system and that would be why you assume it is sucking it up. But, if it is the roots that suck, wouldn’t that mean that your water would have to be drawn into the substrate to achieve this effect? I doubt that.

Maybe the roots are needed because a willow needs to actively produce some chemical that is only generated when sufficient growth of the plant is given and based on nutrients in the substrate (post root growth). That means that root growth and a release of something into the water are not contradictive.

Just my thought,

Ingo

PS: If you and Bensaf are talking NOW from man to man, what level of communication did you have going before that ?

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
You say that the service that the willow may provide to your tank is based on a root system and that would be why you assume it is sucking it up. But, if it is the roots that suck, wouldn’t that mean that your water would have to be drawn into the substrate to achieve this effect? I doubt that.

Good morning, how's the whether in Jersey, probably pretty crappy as it is on L.I., prefect day to talk on FP.
Anyway I'm not 100% sure I understand your response, but the roots on the willow will be sucking supposely from the water column not thru the substrate. The roots should developed all along the branch, throughout the water column.

It's kinda like the way floating plants are suppose to be good at sucking up nutrients. I've been floating some hygro in my tank (not enough) and they are developing quite an extensive root system just floating at the surface.

Last edited by tetratech at 10-Oct-2005 08:41

My Scapes
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
tetratech,

Got you, I didn’t know that fact (as I haven’t read the original willow thread).

And I don’t know about the weather in Jersey either as I am sitting here at work in the City, darn .

Ingo

# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies